PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnian Battalion, Where to now?

Ealdwulf
08-10-2012, 16:36
So I finally pulled the trigger, I'm going Bretonnian. Though I love the vampire models I felt that the more limited list of the Bretonnians, coupled with the book being updated in the near future, would be the perfect way for me to re-familiarize myself with the game just in time for new units and rules.

So I just picked up the batallion box, and first thing I noticed was how nice the sculpts are. For being older plastics they look really nice actually. I think the way GW paints the Bretonnians kind of does them an injustice.

So what do I get next?

I already bought a lord and paladin/BSB.

I'm assuming more KotR wouldn't hurt or a Trebuchet?

boli
08-10-2012, 16:53
You could still get some Vampire Count models; just to hack them up and have your brave knight's galloping over their dismembered bodies e.g. a battlefield :)

Personally I would spend some time looking at people's posted army lists and then trying to make army lists yourself - just on paper. Ignore what models you have initially and see where your imagination takes you. What you need to get next should be more obvious then, even if it is as boring as another battalion box.

HereComesTomorrow
08-10-2012, 17:12
Two trebuchets, though you might want to find alternative models due to the treb going finecast and up in price.

More men at arms. Prophetess definitly for Lore Of Life to regrow and buff knights. I like to run a damsel with Lore of Beasts and the icon magic item that gives a unit the Blessing of the Lady in a unit of M@A and try to cast buffs on the unit.

Honestly you can get by with KotR and M@A for the most part.

Minty
08-10-2012, 18:03
First, let's squeeze that Battalion for all it's worth.

In your Battalion you have three sprues of four Bowmen and four sprues of four
Stallions at
Forelegs. You also have two duplicate 'command' sprues.

those command models can very easilly be either M@A or Bowmen.

Do you want 12 Bowmen and 24 M@A, how about 18 bowmen and 16 M@A, or the recomended 16/20? Choice is yours.

But wait, there's more! Each of your Bowmen sprues has a brazier on it. Put them on 20mm bases and there's another three Bowmen right there. Your Command sprues each have a Small (but vicious) Dog™ (SBVD). They look pretty lonely on their own but two fill a 20mm base just perfectly. There's another model for you.

Done? Done.

Now your best pet is another Battalion and another Pegasus, giving you a squadron of three.

From two Battalions I'd recommend making 30 Bowmen and 50 M@A (counting the above described 'bonus' models).

08-10-2012, 18:14
When I started with the Brets I went with two batallion boxes, two trebs, a fifth edition half of the bretonnians. That was a good start and really helped flesh out the core of my army. If you have any questions by all means ask there are not enough Bretonnian generals and so we have to share the wealth of information as much as possible.

Ealdwulf
08-10-2012, 18:56
All great suggestions here. What I'm hearing is that another Battalion is a pretty safe buy + some Trebuchets.

Just out of curiosity is the Green Knight worth taking in friendly games? I mean he seems like he'd be a fun hero to just mess with people, can he hunt warmachines effectively?

I've read some recent post about people complaining about the Lance, I think it seems fairly effective? Do people think it's OP, or just outdated? Not sure I understand why anyone would dislike the Lance, it seems fairly balanced but unique to me.

08-10-2012, 19:16
The issues that people have with Bretonnians are the same issues that they have with Wood Elves. The army book is archaic and outdated. People like to complain about things that are outdated as they are not shiny anmyore. Honestly the Brets are a hard hitting army with plenty of cabablilities. I am frustrated at times with our dependence on warmachines to flesh out the army but it is a minor complaint I have. The hardest part of having a Bret army is painting all the damn knights... honestly with that as my only complaint the army is gold.

There is nothing wrong with taking the Green Knight. If people have issues just kindly point out Teclis as an abomination when it comes to characters.

Ealdwulf
08-10-2012, 19:43
The issues that people have with Bretonnians are the same issues that they have with Wood Elves. The army book is archaic and outdated. People like to complain about things that are outdated as they are not shiny anmyore. Honestly the Brets are a hard hitting army with plenty of cabablilities. I am frustrated at times with our dependence on warmachines to flesh out the army but it is a minor complaint I have. The hardest part of having a Bret army is painting all the damn knights... honestly with that as my only complaint the army is gold.

There is nothing wrong with taking the Green Knight. If people have issues just kindly point out Teclis as an abomination when it comes to characters.

Haha, Makes sense. I haven't played in awhile granted, however looking at their book they seem to be fairly strong. I can imagine 3 lances hitting a target and obliterating it. I guess my one concern is that I played Dwarfs for years, so I don't really know the magic phase as well as I should. What's the best way to keep your knights from getting nuked? I tend to be a defensive player magically but I'd be open to trying more offensive spells.

Kayosiv
08-10-2012, 22:14
Get at least 1 Damsel and at least 1 Treb. You will probably want more, but you will definitely want one of each always so you can't go wrong getting 1. Another Batallion will work fine as Men-at-arms work best in units of 30+ and you'll no question need more knights.

The issue then is you'll likely want another Pegasus knight so you can have a unit.

giant stegadon
08-10-2012, 22:28
In the last few months I bought a Bret battalion...and then another one. The dogs that came with it got their own square- specifically to go behind the guy carrying the banner.

Minty
08-10-2012, 23:47
I've read some recent post about
ponies complaining about the Lance, I think it seems fairly effective? Do
ponies think it's OP, or just outdated? Not sure I understand why
anypony would dislike the Lance, it seems fairly balanced but unique to me.

The problem people have with Lance formation is that it's an army-specific rule for a rare army. Anyone who doesn't play Brets will, for the most part, just have to take your word for it that you get X attacks and this Damsel can ride in the second rank because you say so (oh, and she has line of sight too!).

You get the drift - nobody can learn every weird rule from every obscure army, so they just have to trust you to know how this odd formation works and that can be annoying.

Ealdwulf
08-10-2012, 23:56
The problem people have with Lance formation is that it's an army-specific rule for a rare army. Anyone who doesn't play Brets will, for the most part, just have to take your word for it that you get X attacks and this Damsel can ride in the second rank because you say so (oh, and she has line of sight too!).

You get the drift - nobody can learn every weird rule from every obscure army, so they just have to trust you to know how this odd formation works and that can be annoying.

Sure but I'd rather the game have a bit more flavor and have to ask to see someones book occasionally rather than all armies be essentially "stream lined" into the same army with different looking models.

Singleton Mosby
09-10-2012, 08:51
There's an Italian guy who makes fantastic alternative Trebuchet models. More info can be found on the Bretonnia forum.

Commodus Leitdorf
09-10-2012, 13:32
Where to go Next? More knights! That's the answer! Mind you if you do plan on Using Peasants in the army then you can go and get another Battalion. My advice if you do plan on using peasants is to go big or go home! You'll need a unit of 50 at least to make them workable.

Ealdwulf
09-10-2012, 14:59
There's an Italian guy who makes fantastic alternative Trebuchet models. More info can be found on the Bretonnia forum.

Do you mean the Bretonnian forums on this website, or The Roundtable? I like the GW one, but I'm certainly not opposed to seeing new models. With all the bits you could certainly make it Bretonnian looking :)

Where to go Next? More knights! That's the answer! Mind you if you do plan on Using Peasants in the army then you can go and get another Battalion. My advice if you do plan on using peasants is to go big or go home! You'll need a unit of 50 at least to make them workable.

So 10 across, 5 deep? I haven't played with hordes yet so this will be a learning curve for sure. I love the idea of big blocks of peasants but not at the expense of eating into my points for Knights. I guess that's the Bretonnian balancing act.

Are the battle pilgrims worth taking? They certainly seem like a solid tar-pit, but mostly I just like the models.

I do have one question though for you Bretonnian fans or followers. I've often seen these threads claiming stuff like "Bretonnians will likely be dropped in 9th Ed" conflicting with "Bretonnian book is almost done". I feel like the prior is just complete surly internet hogwash, would I be wrong in that assessment?

BigbyWolf
09-10-2012, 16:08
All great suggestions here. What I'm hearing is that another Battalion is a pretty safe buy + some Trebuchets.

Just out of curiosity is the Green Knight worth taking in friendly games? I mean he seems like he'd be a fun hero to just mess with people, can he hunt warmachines effectively?

I'd buy him simply because he is a fantastic model, truly one of the best GW has produced.

TheDungen
09-10-2012, 19:56
as i said in your earlier thread sit down and watch a couple if knight movies. if nothing else it can inspire you for a few heraldries, and if you plan on giving each knight his own heraldry you'll need that.
As for the brettionian plastics they had a dark eldar style rehaul last time they got an army book and nearly the entire range went plastic at the same time. as for the trebuchet i understand that it going finecast and risking bubbles is outweighed by the fact that its not possible to assemble it.

and when it comes to playing, i dont really play i just collect so i cant help you there.

Commodus Leitdorf
09-10-2012, 20:18
So 10 across, 5 deep? I haven't played with hordes yet so this will be a learning curve for sure. I love the idea of big blocks of peasants but not at the expense of eating into my points for Knights. I guess that's the Bretonnian balancing act.

Are the battle pilgrims worth taking? They certainly seem like a solid tar-pit, but mostly I just like the models.

I do have one question though for you Bretonnian fans or followers. I've often seen these threads claiming stuff like "Bretonnians will likely be dropped in 9th Ed" conflicting with "Bretonnian book is almost done". I feel like the prior is just complete surly internet hogwash, would I be wrong in that assessment?

Well its hard to say whether the Horde formation for Men at Arms is worth it versus a straight bus to preserve ranks. I would compare them to Empire Halberds but what makes Empire halberds work so well is the fact that I can slap a cheap Warrior priest into their ranks and they can become killing machines (Or atleast out most killy core unit that's not a knight). The only advice I can give is to give both a try and see how it works for you.

As for Battle Pilgrims, I would avoid them and spend the points on more knights (of whichever flavor you desire).

Ealdwulf
09-10-2012, 20:59
as i said in your earlier thread sit down and watch a couple if knight movies. if nothing else it can inspire you for a few heraldries, and if you plan on giving each knight his own heraldry you'll need that.
As for the brettionian plastics they had a dark eldar style rehaul last time they got an army book and nearly the entire range went plastic at the same time. as for the trebuchet i understand that it going finecast and risking bubbles is outweighed by the fact that its not possible to assemble it.

and when it comes to playing, i dont really play i just collect so i cant help you there.

I hear you there, I don't have any problem with coming up with heraldry :) Hell, my bookshelf is a sad affair of history books and illustrated osprey booklets.

Sad to hear about the Battle Pilgrims, I'll probably get some eventually anyways, just to paint if nothing else.

For now though, the prospect of making my own trebuchet out of plasticard seems like fun. I don't mind buying the GW one I just think the idea of making my own could be a cool project.

VAharleygirl
15-10-2012, 04:32
Which forum would that be?

m1acca1551
15-10-2012, 05:46
LOTR catapults can make a nice counts as model for cheap...