PDA

View Full Version : Emperor's children army... not just Noise Marines?

Odin
09-10-2012, 00:35
I'm planning, as so many people are, to use the Chaos models from Dark Vengeance as a starting point for a CSM army. Not sure which legion to pick, but I'm erring towards Emperor's Children just because I love the colour scheme, and it is so different from my Dark Angels.

But, I don't want much in the way of noise marines, at least until they get a new kit. From the new (and previous) CSM Codexes, one could be forgiven for thinking that every member of the Emperor's Children legion (aside from Fabius) became a noise marine. But I don't think that's the case is it? There really isn't anything to stop me taking the mark of Slaanesh on everyone, and having minimal or no noise marines?

Harbinger
09-10-2012, 00:45
No, there is nothing to stop you rule-wise or background-wise.

By the rules you can do it.

As far as background, I would have to check, but I think every EC has their brain fixed for heightened stimulus, but not all of them are Noise Marines. For additional background, there is the Apocalypse datasheet Emperor's Children Warband. You can take CSM with the Mark of Slaanesh and no sonic weapons as part of the warband. If background is big for you, I would not worry, even if it is a deviation it is not a huge one.

Lastly, it is your army... now go forth and kill the lap-dogs of the corpse god!

zoggin-eck
09-10-2012, 01:04
Go for it. If you're really concerned, perhaps make up your own Slaanesh army background, rather than Emperor's Children? I've always wanted to do the same with a Tzeentch themed army, letting me do crazy Tzeentch mutations rather than the empty shell Thousand Sons.

DietDolphin
09-10-2012, 03:27
You could run Noise marines with bolters (no sonic weapons). That way they just use regular chaos models with a sweet Emperors Children paint job.

Fluff wise the book Fulgrim and later Horus Heresy books with the Emperors Children makes it quite clear that they all serve Slaanesh but are not all noise marines. I am pretty sure it's still the case in 40k (although they are now scattered war bands)

The_Klobb_Maniac
09-10-2012, 04:19
There are more than noise marines. Dreads, Preds, Raptors, Rhinos, CSMs; these are all good choices. Be good at both assault and shooting and you'll have an army that fits well.

Odin
09-10-2012, 13:27
Go for it. If you're really concerned, perhaps make up your own Slaanesh army background, rather than Emperor's Children? I've always wanted to do the same with a Tzeentch themed army, letting me do crazy Tzeentch mutations rather than the empty shell Thousand Sons.

Yeah, I would do if it was Tzeentch, but for me the Traitor Legions are where it's at. My plan is to have a Heresy era EC army, led by the same character 10,000 years earlier.

Joewrightgm
09-10-2012, 13:30
Well, not all emperors children are noise marines; so it's totally legit for you to have emperors children armed with majority standard weapons.

Index Astartes supports this action...

AlphariusOmegon20
09-10-2012, 17:32
THE Emperor's Children Apoc Formation shows us that the EC are definitely more than just NM's.

One may take Bikers, Predators, Terminators, Chaos marines, Noise Marines, Havocs, Chosen, and Dreadnoughts as options to the formation. Whether you put Sonic weapons on any or all of these is up to you, it is not a requirement of the formation.

I've actually run this formation before, and it's quite fun to do so, especially when you plop down a Sonic Predator during deployment. The look on peoples faces when you tell them that it carries a Blastmaster as it's main gun, and has Sonic blasters in the sponsons is priceless.

Shipmonkey
09-10-2012, 20:04
Fluff wise the book Fulgrim and later Horus Heresy books with the Emperors Children makes it quite clear that they all serve Slaanesh but are not all noise marines. I am pretty sure it's still the case in 40k (although they are now scattered war bands)

If they ALL serve Slaanesh, why isn't Bile Marked?

loveless
09-10-2012, 20:30

He was, but Urien Rakarth told him he had to scrub that thing off if he wanted to learn anything from the Haemonculus Coven*.

*Not what really happened.

Odin
09-10-2012, 21:11
Well, I think my plan for now is a very small force - basically everything from the DV box, with the marines all marked for Slaanesh and Vets of the Long War, plus a 5-man unit of Warp Talons. Yes, I know everyone thinks they're rubbish, but I really like the look of them. Guess I probably need a unit of Slaaneshi CSMs as well, but the models are just a bit lame.

Tyrelli
09-10-2012, 22:04
After a 20 .. yes 20 year gap of playing I have decided like the OP to collect a Slaanesh themed warband ..
Mostly due to the fact I bought DV and cant stand DA's :) .. and I have a thing for noise Marines :evilgrin:

Anyway my little force will be ... The Screaming Children
Breakaway Splinter group of the Traitor legion, The Emperors Children.
Space Based Raiding Group, current numbers estimated at Approx 1900
Originally All from Emperors Children, but have since swelled numbers through recruiting of new members from either bred captives, captured “willing” citizens of the Imperium and Chaos Space marines who have decided to pledge themselves to the Screaming Children.

Debased cult, believes That “Battle is Pleasure and Pleasure is Battle”, will attack random targets for know known reasons other than for the chance to Experience the “thrill” and “sound” of battle.

I decided doing that gives me enough freedom to do what I want ..
You could do something simmilar .. IE a former EC Army that has gone off on its own.

Tyrelli
09-10-2012, 22:07
Well, I think my plan for now is a very small force - basically everything from the DV box, with the marines all marked for Slaanesh and Vets of the Long War, plus a 5-man unit of Warp Talons. Yes, I know everyone thinks they're rubbish, but I really like the look of them. Guess I probably need a unit of Slaaneshi CSMs as well, but the models are just a bit lame.

You know I def of the thinking you should build YOUR army as you want and not just whats got the best rules .. That is why ill be taking some Mutilators (Love the Minis .. yes I know im crazy :) )

DietDolphin
10-10-2012, 00:36

I did contemplate mentioning that.

When I read the Reflexion Cracked, I got the impression he was serving Slaanesh, since everyone in the legion was, but not exactly worshiping. Seemed like he was going with the flow at bit. The story itself shows how Fulgrim slowly introduces the legion and Lucius to "the wonders" of the Dark Prince.

Joewrightgm
10-10-2012, 01:44
Bile thought he's got bigger and better things than debasing himself in slaanesh worship; like genocide and mad science.

Firaxin
10-10-2012, 03:33
I hate the idea that Emperor's Children are all Noise Marines as much as I hate the idea that Khorne worshipers are all axe-wielding madmen.

The human body has more senses than just auditory, you know. You could field Chaos Spawn and model them as Slaaneshi flagellants, or you could take berzerkers as Slaaneshi Marines who experience ecstasy at the kiss of an enemy's blade--to represent the those obsessed with the sense of 'touch.' Or you could take allied Wolf Scouts/Long Fangs to represent those Slaaneshi marines obsessed with smell or sight. Etc.

Harwammer
10-10-2012, 17:32
To be fair 'noise' doesn't neccesarily just mean sound. I don't know if you ever saw the really old noise marines, but they had really noisy paint jobs!

Szafraniec
10-10-2012, 18:38
The high initiative from the MoS is pretty wasted on Noise Marines...but its a huge benefit to Champs who are forced to challenge. Give them a power weapon then watch them rack up Boons as they win. I've often thought the Mark of Slaanesh lent itself more toward a fast assault army than a shooty noise marine army. Some NM are great for backfield scorers and fire support, but fast moving CSM with a mark, Icon of Excess lets you enjoy that oh-so-wonderful pain even more, and get stuck in.

EC are definitely one of the more adaptable Legions in terms of tactics. Dreads, Termis, CSM, Cultists, spawn, shooting, assault....its all good, so long as you get a thrill from it.