PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a Maulerfiend

Panzerella
09-10-2012, 22:34
I am at this very moment modeling a Maulerfiend.

Do I attach the lasher tendrils or the magma cutters? Pros and Cons of both..? Hard decision...

THX!

Baneboss
09-10-2012, 22:38
Thats where magnets come in handy.

Both options are kind of nice. Depends if you want a tanky or killy Mauler.

Theocracity
09-10-2012, 22:40
That all depends on how you intend to use it and against what kind of opponents.

If you intend to send it at heavy infantry, vehicles or fortifications then the magma cutters seem good. If you expect to get bogged down in hordes the lashers are better. If you don't know or care, then choose which you think look the best.

The_Klobb_Maniac
09-10-2012, 22:42
Lashers will help it live but IMO you want to kill as much as possible. Think of it this way: If you kill something, you can go kill more somethings. If you live but can't kill something (tanky in the midst of a horde) you'll never go kill something. If you get bogged down by 30 boyz you're never going to get out of it either way.

Magma Cutters.

Jericho
09-10-2012, 22:50
Magma cutters are useful for the extra offense vs. 2+ saves or heavy tanks.

Tendrils are good at shutting down the enemy's offense, allowing you to tarpit or shut down their heavy hitters while another friendly unit does the damage to win decisively.

A lot of it depends on what you intend to tag-team your fiend with. I'd go the magnet route, and just see which one you like better.

Panzerella
09-10-2012, 22:50
Thats where magnets come in handy.

Both options are kind of nice. Depends if you want a tanky or killy Mauler.

Possibly, although the way the lashers are done it would be a real pain in the %%% to do this.

Lashers will help it live but IMO you want to kill as much as possible. Think of it this way: If you kill something, you can go kill more somethings. If you live but can't kill something (tanky in the midst of a horde) you'll never go kill something. If you get bogged down by 30 boyz you're never going to get out of it either way.

Magma Cutters.

I feel like I was leaning towards the cutters but the look like SHEET compared to the lashers.... Model the cutters onto the end of 2 tendrils? :)

Jericho
09-10-2012, 22:56
I was thinking that you might be able to add some melta-esque bits to the forelimbs somehow, then swap out for either the plain legs or tendrils for the middle limb socket.

Haven't seen the sprues or whatever in person though, so obviously anyone with hands on the kit would know better at this stage ;)

Johnmclane
09-10-2012, 23:33
I built it as a forgefiend but if memory serves me right those different choices are both ball-sockets so really easy to magnetise. Just buy flat magnet that is for modelling and it's just drill in the centre of the hole and the top of the socket and you're good to go. A good investment to be honest. you can probably magnetise the whole thing so you can use it as a forgefiend as well. Kinda regret I greenstuffed in the middle socket as I only used one pair of legs for the forgefiend. Remember that, folks :)

Omegon
09-10-2012, 23:40
I've voted for Lasher Tendrils. though my fiend is magnet paradise so I can make it either a Fiend or Mauler with Magna Cutters or Lashers :D

minionboy
09-10-2012, 23:48
I voted tendrils as well.

The thing to remember about the cutters is that they can only hit a model that has already been hit. Against most things you're going to squish the target before the magma kicks in, making it only really useful against vehicles and fortifications.

The tendrils on the other hand are -2A to all models in base to baes, and against MC's that's going to be -2 smash attacks (modifiers happen after halving), so you're really going to put a hurt on them.

Panzerella
09-10-2012, 23:59
I've voted for Lasher Tendrils. though my fiend is magnet paradise so I can make it either a Fiend or Mauler with Magna Cutters or Lashers :D

I assume for the lashers you glued the 3 portions together to create the ball end, and then drilled into the glued together ball end to insert the magnet?

Beppo1234
10-10-2012, 08:21
dont attach them yet... it's a certainty that they will make the model a pain in the rear to paint

Clang
12-10-2012, 02:52
Definitely magnetise. It's a Daemonic Engine, so you can always alter the mountings to make them easier to hide magnets in them, or even alter where on the body the tendrils/cutters are connected.

blameless
12-10-2012, 05:01
magnetize
magnetize
magnetize
magnetize!!!
MAGNETIZE!!!!!

seriously. it is very worth spending the money and small amount of time that makes your army versatile and cheaper to run not having to own double ups for different load outs.

Gop
15-10-2012, 05:24
Agreed. I magnetise everything I model which can take mutliple weapons. Rare earth are unsung hero's :)

Nurgling Chieftain
15-10-2012, 05:55
I think two Maulerfiends with one of each is the way to go, if you're using Maulerfiends at all. If you have just one, I'd go with the Lashers; they're useful in more situations (due to the fact that magma-cutters only hit models that have already been hit and survived).

Swordsman
15-10-2012, 09:07
seriously. it is very worth spending the money and small amount of time that makes your army versatile and cheaper to run not having to own double ups for different load outs.

This man speaks the truth. Get the most bang for your buck, and allow yourself more options - all at once.