PDA

View Full Version : heresy era boltguns

dirach
10-10-2012, 18:20
I recently got the first horus heresy book from FW and I'm a bit confused about the boltguns some marines in the pictures are using.

There's multiple background pictures of marines in maximus armour holding the 'current' bolters (godwyn pattern?). The clearest expample is on page 126 where the marine in the foreground is holding a plastic bolter.

Is this correct from an in-universe point of view? Were these used in the heresy era?

I also noticed on their website that FW shows pictures of their iron warriors with these 'modern' bolters. But while that does not necesserarily imply that the pattern of the plastic bolter was used during the heresy (the pictures on their site don't depict a specific period in the 40k history), the horus heresy book does imply that you can use the modern bolters for that period (from an in-universe viewpoint).

Grimbad
10-10-2012, 18:25
I recently got the first horus heresy book from FW and I'm a bit confused about the boltguns some marines in the pictures are using.

There's multiple background pictures of marines in maximus armour holding the 'current' bolters (godwyn pattern?). The clearest expample is on page 126 where the marine in the foreground is holding a plastic bolter.

Is this correct from an in-universe point of view? Were these used in the heresy era?

I also noticed on their website that FW shows pictures of their iron warriors with these 'modern' bolters. But while that does not necesserarily imply that the pattern of the plastic bolter was used during the heresy (the pictures on their site don't depict a specific period in the 40k history), the horus heresy book does imply that you can use the modern bolters for that period (from an in-universe viewpoint).

Seems fine to me. There's been (basically) no new power armor since the Heresy, why should there have been major advances in boltguns?

Fizzy
10-10-2012, 18:29
Yes there were several power armours after the heresy.

I would use those that they offer at FW to be safe or search it up in lexicanum.

Endobai
10-10-2012, 18:50

In general you are safe using the most common patterns, but the book and other sources provide justification for more exotic patterns.
I am using 41 millenium bolters converted as stalker bolters for my AL recon squad and it unlikely anyone will have a problem with it. 2nd ed bolters look also suitably archaic with slight changes such as removal of the aquila.

Gorthaur
10-10-2012, 18:52
Did the book even mention which bolters were in use? You would think they would clarify the fluff a bit in that area. Sounds like laziness on their part letting that Godwyn pattern slip in.

I always figured-

Phobos = entire great crusade, and throughout heresy.

Umbra and Tigrus= very late great crusade and throughout heresy.

Umbra Ferrox=mid-late heresy.

I dont think there is anywhere in the fluff stating when the Godwyn pattern entered service.

And thats about it, Forgeworld never did design Bolters that resembled the ones from the Collected Visions art...you know the ones with the clip at the front end of the gun and not behind the grip? I wish they would design some like that.

Jericho
10-10-2012, 18:59
The logical reason why they wouldn't release the bolters with the clip in front? The arms simply wouldn't hold them properly. You'd have to redo the arms for every variant of armor to match... not gonna happen :)

TheDungen
10-10-2012, 19:00
I hate to break this to you but when there is a conflict in cannon the most recent supersedes the older. thus there were godwyn pattern during the heresy.

Sqallum
10-10-2012, 19:06
Awesome! Now I can use Godwyn instead of buying expensive FW bolters! :)

dirach
10-10-2012, 19:36
Awesome! Now I can use Godwyn instead of buying expensive FW bolters! :)

that's what i was thinking. I think this is great because 1. you can buy the plastic bits for a lot less money 2. i actually like their design better than the ones FW offers, although i do like phobos pattern

Did the book even mention which bolters were in use? You would think they would clarify the fluff a bit in that area. Sounds like laziness on their part letting that Godwyn pattern slip in.

Unfortunately it doesn't as far as I can tell. It's my issue with the book, it doesn't have very much info modelling wise (such as colours for companies of the legions, for specific unit types). The drawings of the space marines are great and they give you nice modelling ideas and some info, but they are all without weapons so you get a better look at the details of the armour but no info/drawings of the bolters etc.

Inquisitor Engel
11-10-2012, 01:15
Yes there were several power armours after the heresy.

I would use those that they offer at FW to be safe or search it up in lexicanum.

MkVII armour was in use at the veeeeery end of the Heresy by loyalists only and has been stated as being that way for some time.

Leftenant Gashrog
15-10-2012, 15:11
Sounds like laziness on their part letting that Godwyn pattern slip in.

Or it may have been intentional. The rather crude armour sketches that accompanied the original armour fluff article back in WD129 had the marines holding guns: The MkV and VI were both shown holding the RTB01 Umbra style boltguns but MkIV was shown holding the same gun as MkVII. There was no accompanying fluff but a possible explanation was that the 'MkVII' gun was introduced alongaside MkIV armour with the RTB01 gun being a stripped-down no-frills replacement rushed into production alongaside MkV armour with the 'MkIV' gun coming back into production after the Heresy. If FW decided to treat the Godwyn pattern as a retcon of the old MkVII boltgun then it makes sense to give it to MkIV as well.