PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld's fumble puts my morals to the test!

RanaldLoec
10-10-2012, 19:05
Ok I ordered a nice shiney new model from forgeworld.

A week or so later a nice box arrives with the wrong kit in it which is 20 less in value compared to what I ordered. A quick phone call later and a nice chap organised my delivery to be sent back out.

The correct model has arrived today but I still have this other kit from the first delivery. Now the guy on the phone neglected to mention returning the other kit, but I know I should.

But in the back of my mind there's a greedy little voice saying "keep it".

I won't because its not honest and I would suffer from a sense of guilt every time I looked at or used that model. So it is going back.

I suppose my question is have you ever had a similar experience and what did you do?

IcedCrow
10-10-2012, 19:07
I have. And i asked how to ship the wrong model back and they told me not to worry about it.

IcedCrow
10-10-2012, 19:08
To ease your mind, call and ask how to return it.

flemfilms
10-10-2012, 19:10
Yes. Keep it. He neglected to ask you to send it back because they have absolutely no belief that you will. You getting to keep the wrong models is their way of apologizing for their mistake.

No guilt. Just enjoy it!

Jericho
10-10-2012, 19:11
A few years back a friend of ours waited 8+ weeks for his Titan to arrive. He called and they sent out a new one... and 2 separate boxes arrived a few days later. They told him to keep the second Titan, as waiting 2+ months for delivery was unacceptable.

Go ahead and call, they are excellent about letting you keep the mini when the mistake is theirs.

Scribe of Khorne
10-10-2012, 19:14
I asked them what to do once when I got a double shipment, they said to keep it or sell it!

thrawn
10-10-2012, 19:28
I have. And i asked how to ship the wrong model back and they told me not to worry about it.

exact same thing happened to me, only it was a faulty model. i was able to repair the model with some gree stuff but to my surprise they sent me a knew one (which was never discussed on the phone) so i ended up selling it on ebay. not the most honest thing i've done, but considering i've spent nearly 800 pounds this year alone, i figure 20 pounds is not a big deal. besides, i'm so happy with their customer service i always buy my stuff from them and never the knock offs so they got a loyal customer.

just keep it. if your guilt is too much to bear send it to me! :)

AlphariusOmegon20
10-10-2012, 19:44

Generally, this is the answer you get from GW AND FW, when they make a screw up like that.

Daedalus81
10-10-2012, 19:52
I'd prefer to clear my conscience and give them a call. More than likely they will tell you to keep it.

Durfast
10-10-2012, 20:00
+1 on calling. They've messed up a few of my orders over the years, and they won't give you the run around, but you'll enjoy a clear concience and a free new toy :)

Konovalev
10-10-2012, 20:03
As said, keep it. I had an order from FW ($100+ in krieg models) disappear in transit only to be delivered 4-6 months after a replacement order was sent. FW said keep it.

DuskRaider
10-10-2012, 20:04
I've had it happen a few times and each time they've actually told me to keep the wrong / defective model. When the FW Death Guard kits first came out, I made an order for 3 Plague Marine kits & 2 Terminators kits. They sent me the opposite, so I contacted them and they actually sent me the Plague Marines I needed and let me keep the Terminators. Mind you, it ended up making me buy 3 Terminator kits, so they made money anyhow, but you get the idea.

ezekiel21
10-10-2012, 20:05
I have had the opposite experience with Games Workshop. My wife bought me some paints as a present and they messed up the order, sending two or three paints extra she hadn't ordered. She phoned them back to ask them what to do with them and they told her to post them back. Three paints worth about 6. The impression she was left with was they were very tight-fisted and money-grabbing and won't ever order from them again!

tbh i think it will depend on who is on the other end of the phone at the time.

Vaktathi
10-10-2012, 20:33
Ok I ordered a nice shiney new model from forgeworld.

A week or so later a nice box arrives with the wrong kit in it which is 20 less in value compared to what I ordered. A quick phone call later and a nice chap organised my delivery to be sent back out.

The correct model has arrived today but I still have this other kit from the first delivery. Now the guy on the phone neglected to mention returning the other kit, but I know I should.

But in the back of my mind there's a greedy little voice saying "keep it".

I won't because its not honest and I would suffer from a sense of guilt every time I looked at or used that model. So it is going back.

I suppose my question is have you ever had a similar experience and what did you do?They really don't care about getting the original model back unless it's something truly huge. They once sent me a complete replacement Cobra because one engine part came with 2 of the left side and 0 of the right side and did not want the original sent back, so I made 2 Cobras :D

DuskRaider
10-10-2012, 20:34
I think most orders and whatnot are dealt with by Ead Brown. He's the one who usually puts out the newsletters and deals with their Facebook page as well. I've always dealt with him, really really nice guy.

Havock
10-10-2012, 21:00
Additionally, the material is quite cheap, you are paying mostly for the design/preoduction crew and stage. The actual models themselves are not busting their wallet.

tiger g
10-10-2012, 21:06
If you want to pay it forward. Find someone with the army of the wrong item that has not used forgeworld before and give it to them.

Clarkson
10-10-2012, 21:14
They really don't care about getting the original model back unless it's something truly huge. They once sent me a complete replacement Cobra because one engine part came with 2 of the left side and 0 of the right side and did not want the original sent back, so I made 2 Cobras :D

My friend experienced the same.. except now he has 2 phantoms ( was missing the pilot in the first one and one of the back spines.) so he has 2 stupidly huge titans.. its a shame he cant paint.. so its safe to say one looks like Michael J Fox has painted it.

Havock
10-10-2012, 21:14
Also:

Morals?

Max_Killfactor
10-10-2012, 21:17
Forgeworld will tell you not to bother. They have some nice guys over there.

I was in a similar situation and they told me just to keep it.

Zywus
10-10-2012, 21:21
If you ask them, they probably will tell you that you can keep it. (unless the extra kit is worth a lot. In which case they would probably ask you to return it by their own accord)
Goodwill has a value in it self. And since they are the ones who erred, the shipping should be payed by them, further reducing the financial gain they get from having the kit returned.

RanaldLoec
10-10-2012, 21:42
If you want to pay it forward. Find someone with the army of the wrong item that has not used forgeworld before and give it to them.

I like that idea

Land raider Achilles any one?

nagash66
10-10-2012, 22:02
I like that idea

Land raider Achilles any one?
I would gladly pay for the p&p and provide you with your name inscribed on the vehicle paintjob.

nosebiter
10-10-2012, 22:04
Keep it FW will tell you it is ok, their mistake their loss.

Great costumer service the few times i have had issues. My phantom titan had a bad leg, they overnighted me a new one.

Still Standing
10-10-2012, 22:13
I bought a Shadow Sword a long time ago (before the plastic Baneblade). They send the wrong vehicle, so I gave them a call expected to be told to keep it, but they had me post it back to them before they'd send out the correct one. Gutted.

bad dice
10-10-2012, 22:18
Companies will almost never want there product back any way.

Firstly they would have to pay for the transportation (its thier fault)
Secondly they probebly can't resell the product any way.
I don't know if it goes for models two
But by British law some products (for instance electronics) can never be resold once a costumer has received them even when returned in mint condition

In my long long carrier as a wargammer I have had plenty of false deliveries and they never wanted the wrong (or broken or incomplete or whatever stuf back)

In fact on of my friends got a 200 euro worth false delivery from forge world.
UPC had given him someone else stuff at the same time as his own delivery.
When he called FW about it they told him to keep it. Since it would be more trouble to get it from him then just sent new products to the other person

Fizzy
10-10-2012, 22:41
I ordered 4 packs of 5 space marine Iron armours. Recived 6 packs instead. I asked them what to do.

They said: Keep it. Merry christmas in advance.

RanaldLoec
10-10-2012, 23:08
I would gladly pay for the p&p and provide you with your name inscribed on the vehicle paintjob.

How about you get me a little star and a new rank?

adreal
10-10-2012, 23:10
One time GW sent me a ork warboss with 6 chaos bikers I ordered. I called them up and offered to post it back. GW rep on the phone was very surprised at my honesty. Alot of forge world stories I have heard have involved people keeping the product

Fizzy
10-10-2012, 23:13
Yes but GW and FW are to different things. For FW it would be to much trouble. Also it is their faults if something are broken or otherwise.

GW just wants to earn money in any way. FW wants that to but they want customers to appriciate them and return so they let you keep most of the miscasts or extra units you get.

It is not morally wrong to keep them if you let FW know of their mistake or that you now have an extra titan for example.

The_Klobb_Maniac
10-10-2012, 23:26
I'd keep it and wouldn't consider that morally incorrect at all. They sent the wrong model and you paid the money for the correct one. Sending the wrong one back costs YOU *yet more money.* I'm not going to pay more than I planned to pay because some company screwed up. If they want it back they better cover the shipping costs back and probably better refund the shipping on the initial item.

I use paypal for everything for that very reason. Someone wants their item back (which is really clunky to do properly anyway) and won't send the proper item back first, I just raise an issue that they won't send me my item. People bend pretty quick when they have to start dealing with a giant like paypal/ebay. It's also useful for "items lost in the mail" issues. Some ebayers will put that up that unless you get insurance, it's on your own head. Pay through paypal and you're safe anyway because it's *their* problem that you didn't get your item. *They* need the insurance (no matter what they claim) because otherwise anyone could just keep the models they promised to send and put up some phony receipt or other such nonsense.

This is partly why so many use tracking numbers on ebay as it also keeps the buyer honest. If it says it was delivered and you've tracked it all etc.. you're safe.

Moral:
-Keep incorrect stuff. Why should it cost you money?
-Use paypal
-use tracking numbers and/or insurance

Bigglesworth
11-10-2012, 00:03
I once ordered an etched brass sheet off them, it was missing one tiny raven guard symbol, got another one free, seemed a pretty good deal to me.

CrownAxe
11-10-2012, 00:09
Yes but GW and FW are to different things. For FW it would be to much trouble. Also it is their faults if something are broken or otherwise.

GW just wants to earn money in any way. FW wants that to but they want customers to appriciate them and return so they let you keep most of the miscasts or extra units you get.

It is not morally wrong to keep them if you let FW know of their mistake or that you now have an extra titan for example.

GW still has really good customer service.

I've had damaged a Heavy Destroyer and warped Drop Pod get replaced for free with out having to send them back

unknown_lifeform
11-10-2012, 00:13
Yeah, most companies just let you keep stuff if its their mistake. The cost in refunding return postage and general waste of time involved in processing a return just isn't worth it when the actual cost of material is pretty small. By letting keep it they get goodwill, by making you return it they waste your time on top of having sent you a defective or incorrect item.

Of course, stories like being sent an extra cobra because of one missing part kind of starts you praying to be sent a mildly defective model :)

Fizzy
11-10-2012, 01:26
GW still has really good customer service.

I've had damaged a Heavy Destroyer and warped Drop Pod get replaced for free with out having to send them back

That I know that they replace but if you get lets say one extra drop pod or a land raider when you only ordered a drop pod it is rare that they let you keep it.

CrownAxe
11-10-2012, 01:59
That I know that they replace but if you get lets say one extra drop pod or a land raider when you only ordered a drop pod it is rare that they let you keep it.

To be fair if you were expecting to keep it you shouldn't have called to return it first :P

blameless
11-10-2012, 02:12
I live in New Zealand and have had a similar experience about postage taking its time. I ended up with 2 but they didn't want one back.

Beppo1234
11-10-2012, 02:24
GW overall in general is good about this stuff... if they mess up the order, and for me, this has happened a lot, they have never told me to return the incorrect item. I have a buddy, who ordered the finecast LE 20th mini, and has at least three of them, due to the poor casting of that model.

Khornies & milk
11-10-2012, 02:37
Over the years I've had lots of wrong FW kit sent to me, and I've always rung them to let them know a mistake has occurred. Not once have they asked for returns so I've ended up with many spare pieces/kits.
One instance was when the different marks of Power Armour/Bolter kits came out and I ordered 2 of each of the kits I wanted, but because they sent some of the wrong kits (several times in fact), by the end I had 14 kits in total instead of the 6 originally ordered. My Crusade - themed army is extremely well kitted out:D

Mauler
11-10-2012, 15:07
Additionally, the material is quite cheap, you are paying mostly for the design/preoduction crew and stage. The actual models themselves are not busting their wallet.

I always wondered at the cost of FW's resin because I've had a fair few models from them and the amount of leftover resin attached to the parts can equal the model itself, if not more. My Hornet and Tetras came with massive chunks of resin still attached!

The only FW mess-up I've ever had was when I had an extra War Walker 'pelvis' in with my Wasp bag so I have it back to a member of staff when I was at Warhammer World next. Heh.

But generally I've only had positive experiences with GW and returns/errors. A mate bought me a box of three Chaos Marines and a Chaos Biker for my birthday last November, when I only play Dark Angels, Tau & Eldar. Two weeks ago I finally got around to exchanging them back in to a local GW shop for something else after a phonecall to see where I stood and like a glutton for punishment, we walked out with a box of Death Company for my girlfriend to stomp me with. No receipts or price stickers, the boxes were still sealed and the chaps took them right back. Top-notch!

Valorel
11-10-2012, 15:21
I'd prefer to clear my conscience and give them a call. More than likely they will tell you to keep it.

Just this.
But if they ask you to give it back, ask for the shipping, as it's their responsability ;)

Tyrelli
11-10-2012, 15:51
I remember years ago I bought a Deth Roller for Blood Bowl from GW Online .. and when the mini arrived it was missing the back leg of the Dwarf rider .. so I called GW who said they would send another one out for me .. brilliant .. at this point I asked how I should send the other one back as was told .. no its OK keep it .. so in effect I got a 30 mini for free !!

Cheeslord
11-10-2012, 16:58
Makes me wonder how little it actually costs to make the kit if they don't care about getting it back (of course for small volume sales the development time is the main cost of the model, not the manufacture of each unit)...

Mark.

The_Klobb_Maniac
11-10-2012, 17:09
indeed, it was many years ago, but some fantasy gobbos only came with 15 instead of 20. The guys sent me a box of 20 when I just asked for the missing sprue (I was missing legs IIRC)

jeffzcubfan
11-10-2012, 17:16
Makes me wonder how little it actually costs to make the kit if they don't care about getting it back (of course for small volume sales the development time is the main cost of the model, not the manufacture of each unit)...

Mark.

Mark,

today it has a lot to do with shipping costs. The cost of shipping swallows up most of what they would have made getting it back.

Regards,

Jeff

ilikebmxbikes
11-10-2012, 17:45
Most of FW's orders are international and they do not expect people to take a trip to the post office and pay to ship an item back on their mistake. GW and FW have always replaced any defective or missing part no questions asked. I have always offered to ship back the item in question and they have always told me not to worry. I have been in the hobby for 15 years and have had about 5 or 6 kits get replacement parts. They really do hold it down in the customer service department.

Hopefully the free item will turn their mistake into a positive situation and return your confidence in the company and motivate you to order more... or at least that is the idea.

ilikebmxbikes
11-10-2012, 17:47

Mark.

The actual cost of the resin in the model is very low. Most of the cost comes from sculpting, molds and business overhead to operate the company.

Lord Inquisitor
11-10-2012, 18:26
Forgeworld have always been like this. I think it was a conscious decision early on, perhaps easier to just replace faulty goods than it would be to check every component of every kit, easier to send out a complete kit than just the faulty part. Deliberately or not, their normal operating procedure seems to be awful quality control and great customer service. If it's their error, they'd need to pay for return shipping. Why bother when the resin isn't expensive?

spaint2k
11-10-2012, 18:50
Forgeworld have always been like this. I think it was a conscious decision early on, perhaps easier to just replace faulty goods than it would be to check every component of every kit, easier to send out a complete kit than just the faulty part. Deliberately or not, their normal operating procedure seems to be awful quality control and great customer service. If it's their error, they'd need to pay for return shipping. Why bother when the resin isn't expensive?

I've never had Forge World send out complete kits for defective parts; they always cast up the specific sprues and send me the ones I need.

Case in point, I received my Angron today, and he was missing some pieces. The customer service rep told me he'd send me that specific sprue. It would have been nice for them to send me a whole new Angron after sitting on the phone for 19 minutes but it's not what I'm going to get.

Lord Inquisitor
11-10-2012, 19:03
Perhaps this is a new policy? I'll admit I haven't ordered anything from FW in years. Not since they started producing nothing but marine and IG variants of existing models rather than anything new and original.

Fizzy
11-10-2012, 19:09
I've never had Forge World send out complete kits for defective parts; they always cast up the specific sprues and send me the ones I need.

Case in point, I received my Angron today, and he was missing some pieces. The customer service rep told me he'd send me that specific sprue. It would have been nice for them to send me a whole new Angron after sitting on the phone for 19 minutes but it's not what I'm going to get.

Angron is a whole other story I think. Very special model and all.

Aluinn
11-10-2012, 19:15
I can't speak to FW, but I have received both responses from GW customer service (which, I have to emphasize, has always been excellent and entirely willing to remedy whatever I problem I had by sending me new stuff, to be fair). Once I was sent an entirely new kit and it seems that when they do this, they don't bother having you send back the defective/incomplete one, so you may well end up with extra parts or models, which is pretty cool--they did this when I had an Ork Dread missing the back part of the body (in fact, this was the old metal mini and the new plastic one had just been released, and they sent me the new plastic one, which was double awesome!). The other time I had an issue was with a Necron Battleforce missing some Warrior sprues, but in this case they just sent me the missing sprues in a padded envelope (probably because sending an entire new Battleforce is a pretty big deal). I could make a minor complaint here in that they didn't send me any new bases to go with them, but I had extras so it was no big deal.

I'd assume FW support is very similar and probably even has identical policies. In terms of all this stuff I have to give GW very high marks and it's one of the ways that they're a great company, and IMO they don't get the credit they deserve for it when people complain about all their faults.

RTB01
11-10-2012, 19:28
I wouldn't be sending it back - no morality issues here. Life occassionally throws nice things in our direction. You're not denying anyone anything and a multi-million pound business can cope with a few freebies - good customer relations and all that.

OP what have you decided to do in the end?

ilikebmxbikes
12-10-2012, 00:21
Angron is a whole other story I think. Very special model and all.

FW has only replaced individual parts for me. GW has sent entire kits.

Vaktathi
12-10-2012, 22:14
and IMO they don't get the credit they deserve for it when people complain about all their faults.

This is very true, for all of GW's legions of other faults, I've always had excellent experience with their customer service, never had anything but outstanding responses from them.

Killgore
12-10-2012, 23:10
I got sent some Rhino Nurgle doors instead of some Black Templar bits. Gave them a phone call and asked if they wanted it sent back and they said not to bother in case I might need it one day :)