PDA

View Full Version : Best general sabre defense system

tiger g
10-10-2012, 22:05
have not played against many flyers yet but will be soon. what is the best sabre defense system to buy for by IG to cover as many flyers as possible?

ColShaw
10-10-2012, 22:11
Twin Autocannons are probably best all-round, with Twin Lascannons coming in second.

Caitsidhe
11-10-2012, 15:39
have not played against many flyers yet but will be soon. what is the best sabre defense system to buy for by IG to cover as many flyers as possible?

The Auto-Cannons give you more shots, but I prefer the Lascannons because when I hit I want to kill. I also prefer the range as many incoming reserves (and I like to use interceptor) might be out of range of the auto-cannons but not the lascannons.

A.T.
11-10-2012, 15:47
might be out of range of the auto-cannons but not the lascannons.They have the same range.

Caitsidhe
11-10-2012, 18:44
They have the same range.

Hrm. Brain-fart on my part. I could have sworn they had different ranges. Either way I like the +1 to the roll on the vehicle damage chart and the higher strength to try and get the penetration.

A.T.
11-10-2012, 21:15
Hrm. Brain-fart on my part. I could have sworn they had different ranges.You are probably thinking of the quad gun/icarus.

Caitsidhe
11-10-2012, 21:25
You are probably thinking of the quad gun/icarus.

Quite probable. I'm a CSM player and we never have had a plethora of Auto-Cannons at our disposal.

A.T.
11-10-2012, 21:31
Quite probable. I'm a CSM player and we never have had a plethora of Auto-Cannons at our disposal.CSMs have (and had) the 2nd highest availability of autocannons in the game after guard don't they? 7 units in the old dex.

edit - and it's a bit off topic.

I'd be tempted by the lascannons personally.

Caitsidhe
11-10-2012, 21:42
CSMs have (and had) the 2nd highest availability of autocannons in the game after guard don't they? 7 units in the old dex.

edit - and it's a bit off topic.

I'd be tempted by the lascannons personally.

Not so much in good units. :) I don't think I EVER put a single AC into play in 5th Edition. We didn't use Terminators much. Obliterators (which we used often) didn't have an AC option. Most of our vehicles did not have the selection (Reaper AC was the norm and generally dropped). Now that I have decent options with them I will probably field them. Of course, I prefer lascannon as a general rule. I get my volume of fire from other sources.

tu33y
12-10-2012, 15:00
like some sort of dullard I have three stubber teams... i thought 18 TL shots a turn would make me happy. now i wish I had at least ONE autocannon team. S4 means there is not too much i can use the Skyfire rule against.

but i just had to have them as they look far too awesome. deffo best looking model fo the four.

Caitsidhe
12-10-2012, 15:29
I suppose another reason I like the Lascannon is because more people opt to Jink rather than risk the shot. A flier that has jinked is often just as neutral for a bit as one I shot down.

ColShaw
12-10-2012, 16:51
like some sort of dullard I have three stubber teams... i thought 18 TL shots a turn would make me happy. now i wish I had at least ONE autocannon team. S4 means there is not too much i can use the Skyfire rule against.

but i just had to have them as they look far too awesome. deffo best looking model fo the four.

I agree, the quad Stubbers are the best-looking of the bunch. They remind me very strongly of the quad-.50 caliber "meatchoppers" the American Army put on half-tracks during WWII. The sad difference, of course, is that .50 cals actually could shoot down low-flying planes. :(

juxt
12-10-2012, 17:12
i also run a pair of quad stubber sabres bought on the merit of their looks, but i've always found them quite useful against light vehicles or squads of infantry. although, the autocannons in hindsight would be much more useful. (i do still play 5th ed though, and have yet to encounter a flyer)

Formerly Wu
12-10-2012, 18:05
The quad stubbers are still quite dangerous to any AV 10 flyer, especially the FW ones with 2 HP.

It's just unfortunate that so many of the currently common flyers are AV 12.