PDA

View Full Version : Under these circumstances, would you sell most/all of your Warhammer models?

Scaryscarymushroom
10-10-2012, 22:35
I just had a friend offer me all of his OOP metal Grey Knights. Probably about 1500 points worth, plus an OOP Land Raider Crusader and a metal Coteaz with retinue. He said that if I didn't want them, he was going to sell the lot.

I absolutely love all those models, but I told him to sell them because I have...

+/- 2500 points Sisters of Battle
+/- 500 points Inquisition (Need Coteaz to be able to field them, but I have a suitable proxy)
+/- 500 points Slaanesh Daemons which were purchased for games against his Daemonhunters force (Nowadays I would need HQ to field, but I have a suitable Masque proxy)
+/- 1000 points Space Marines
+/- 1500 points Tau (in slight disrepair)
+/- 2000 points Tyranids (in slight disrepair)
Every 3rd edition Warhammer 40k book
All the obsolete 4th edition books + Apocalypse & Reload

And some non GW stuff...

Enough Dust Tactics models to field a small army of Imperial Guard + 8 "sentinels" (Or to just play Dust Warfare with)
3 small Warmachine forces
Enough Anima Tactics models to play a large game with someone
1 small Malifaux crew
Lots of Avatars of War
2 Firestorm Armada starter forces

I have painted very little of this, maybe about 15%. I am running out of space to store models. Being a law student, I have very little time to paint the minis, and even the time that I do have is often spent doing other things because, due to limited space, it takes time to clear off my paint desk and get it ready for painting.

My gaming group has not withstood the test of time. In the past 5 years, We've lost an Ork player, a 'nid player, a Tau player, a Space Wolf player, a Chaos Space Marine player, and two Dark Eldar players. Now that my GK playing friend has decided to get rid of his minis, I have only two tentative opponents: My girlfriend who has approx 1500 points of Necrons and would play only for my sake (because she got tired of it after a few early 5th ed. games and doesn't know or care to learn the 5th edition Necron rules), and my younger brother who lives 30 minutes away and has approximately 2500 points of Orks, about 1000 points of Space Wolves, and two 6x4 modular gaming tables in the basement. He is, however, talking about moving in with my Dad, who lives 1000 miles away in the Seattle area.

I game with people maybe 2-3 times a year, and about half of those games are 40k.

There are stores where I could go and play, but I pretty much never go in to game. The last time I did was to play Firestorm Armada, which isn't even sold at the LGS I went to.

I love the 40k universe.

Almost every mini I own was purchased because it could be fielded as a proxy for a GW mini, but over time I collected the rulebooks for all the minis I own, and now I happily play non GW games from time to time (and would sooner play non GW games with my girlfriend than play a game she got tired of i.e. 40k).

I am tired of GW's prices and I am no longer in the market for new GW minis. (Just a relevant factor, not a huge discussion point.)

EDIT: No one I know is in any hurry to play 6th edition, myself included.

Now finally to the point. Having just lost another potential 40k opponent, I am thinking of seriously downsizing my GW collection and keeping only my Sisters of Battle for sentimental reasons. I would keep my non-GW stuff and offer people games by saying "Given these two choices, which army do you want to play? I'll take the other one."

I am happy to take advice, but I recognize that the decision to sell my models is my decision to make. However, I am curious to see how many people would sell most of their GW figs if they were in my shoes, which is the main reason for my post.

EmperorNorton
10-10-2012, 22:45
My collection is considerably larger that would you list there, and the number of times I get to play is noticeably smaller.
I don't sell anything because I enjoy having all of that stuff and slowly but steadily building and painting all of it (just in case I might get to use it some day), plus I don't particularly need the money and space I could generate by selling it.

Commissar Merces
11-10-2012, 00:22
I've recently had a similar situation come up.

I sold my 4,000 point Ork army to by a much smaller Dark Eldar army for my girlfriend and a small sisters detachment for myself (which has grown). I also sold about 1,500 points of my dark angels and chewing on selling more of them.

Right now I have

4,000 Tyranids
5,000 IG
3,000 Dark Angels
2,000 Sisters
500 Chaos guard
2,000 dark eldar

and I usually only get one game every other week due to working three jobs. I am also looking to start saving my $$$ for an engagement ring so purchases have pretty much been zero the past few months. Like you, maybe 25% of my collection is painted. Maybe.

Honestly, I would probably sell some of your stuff to make room for the grey knights and consolidate your armies into bigger projects.

If you don't want to sell the books because you like the universe, don't. I would def sell the Tau or the Tyranids though, which ever army you are less in love in. Maybe the Daemons as they will be in larger demand due to the chaos release. Just my 2 cents.

If you are selling your sisters, let me know as I maybe interested in them!

Dyrnwyn
11-10-2012, 02:10
I'm in a similar situation. I have limited space and I haven't played a mainline GW game for close to 2 years now. I'm selling off my extra armies and only holding onto things I can use in other games. My Wood Elves are useful for D&D and Mordheim, I'm holding onto my Orks because we do occasionally bust out Gorkamorka and they are useful for Dark Heresy mooks. I've already sold my Tau and am in the process of trying to sell the majority of my Grey Knights and a bunch of Ork sprues I don't expect to ever get round to building.

Dai-Mongar
11-10-2012, 04:25
No, because I am a pathological hoarder.

Xazil
11-10-2012, 06:37
I'm also a no because while kind of similar, I enjoy modelling and painting. Of course being in AU my buying has stopped, but my old uncompleted stuff is all in my storage room waiting. :)

Schmapdi
11-10-2012, 06:41
I'd say keep it - at least for a few years. You never know how you'll feel down the road.

I have considerably less than you, but I feel the same way - I have too much stuff, too many projects, (and too many new ones I want to start) not nearly enough of it is painted, and I've never played a single game of anything (dunno anyone into the hobby at all). But I'd say just slowly keep whittling that pile down, even if it's only a model a month sometimes.

I have a Night Goblin army - a fair bit painted as it was my first "big" project (i.e. Skull Pass). I have another ~80ish goblins I bought 3 years ago now. Over the course of last winter, I painted ~12 Night goblins to whittle the number down. I have 3 more primed to work on this winter (this winter I want to work on my Ogres a bit more). Eventually I'll sit down and knock out a bigger chunk of them, but in the meanwhile I keep chipping away at them, and it adds variety to work on a few here and there in between other projects.

Just stop buying new stuff. A few years from now if you still have no interest in the armies/games/etc - then sell. With GW price rises they'll be worth considerably more!

shelfunit.
11-10-2012, 07:57
Definitely keep all the books and whichever models you can - as everyone has said - you never know when they will come in handy.

StygianBeach
11-10-2012, 08:48
I reckon sell off one of your smaller armies and see how that feels.

I am currently happily undercoating alot of my stuff that I have not touched for years, applying a few colour, then putting them back on the shelf. It feels better knowing they have a little paint on them.

With a spray can and a big paint brush this does not take too long (spray softly and carry a big brush).

I have been meaning to sell off some my excess minis though... maybe in the Autum break.

Whitwort Stormbringer
11-10-2012, 09:13
Like most I'd say hold onto them, at least the full armies.

For starters, not being interested in buying new models or in learning new editions doesn't mean you can't enjoy the stuff you have. Heck, I still play 5th WFB and 4th ed. 40K (when I play those games at all, which is maybe once a year). My group of players similarly fractured a bit, more due to us moving around and heading off to university than people losing interest, but I found it was worthwhile to keep everything because we still reconvene from time to time and play games and it's fun to break out our old armies. And of course, if you ever do find that you have a rekindled interest in playing the game in the future it will be nice to have an army built already. Then all you need to do is learn the current rules and maybe tweak your army to the current codex.

If there are unfinished projects in there that you don't have any intention of finishing (the Slaaneshi daemons, perhaps?), those are easier to let go of and you might want the spare cash. Lord knows most of us can be fickle gamers and attempt to start a new project that goes nowhere, and selling this stuff off can free up cash for bolstering existing projects or just for other everyday expenses.

Chaos and Evil
11-10-2012, 10:20
2-3 games per year?

I would definitely sell. No point having all that cash locked up in toys that you don't play with.

williamsond
11-10-2012, 10:33
put most of them in the loft and hold on to them, you never know how your gaming circumstances will change. I sold all my stuff and stopped playing fast forward 5 years and I found a nice club relapsed and ended up having to buy them all again. If your folks have an attic and are willing to hold on to them for you put them away for future Scaryscary mushroom who will thank you in a few years time. Maybe keep one army out of storage for those few games you do play.

GomezAddams
11-10-2012, 10:34
In my previous job my hours were slashed from 5 to 3 days a week, and I was on relatively low pay. I too had horded for years and in the space of a month everything got slashed down, my bits box stayed as it was relatively worthless to anyone else along with my guard and an assortment of things that again, were worthless to anyone else. It made me realise

1 - I don't need it all. Its nice to have, and I have enough kick starter figures on the way and impulse buys over the last 3 months (in my considerably better paid and less demanding job :D) to have rebuilt my lead pile but I wouldn't miss it.

2 - Its a good way of clearing the cob webs. What I realised was that whilst I liked the figures, having the cash let me invest properly in projects I really wanted to do, which is how I got my titan and my McVey kickstarter.

So, look at it this way - sell everything but the army you like the most. You can always rebuild, chances are you'll paint them better, and you can sink all the cash into a single focused project :)

Cap'n Facebeard
11-10-2012, 10:37
I always say never sell or throw away anything that you've already put effort into. I would only ever sell unbuilt / unboxed stuff.
When I was younger I got rid of a CSM army that was made up of all the cool 80s and 90s models, basically every cool model from the Chambers / Johnson original Chaos Codex.
Guess what I look out for on eBay now? :mad::rolleyes::(

lorelorn
11-10-2012, 10:59
I am thinking of seriously downsizing my GW collection and keeping only my Sisters of Battle for sentimental reasons. I would keep my non-GW stuff and offer people games by saying "Given these two choices, which army do you want to play? I'll take the other one."

I am happy to take advice, but I recognize that the decision to sell my models is my decision to make. However, I am curious to see how many people would sell most of their GW figs if they were in my shoes, which is the main reason for my post.

I have been in this position (sort of*), and did sell most of my GW figures. I've kept up and even expanded my non-GW lines and now play a greater variety of games than before. Oh, and have fun too!

*Luckily for me this move was precipitated by GWs actions, and my gaming group is healthier than ever and playing a wider variety of games than before.

zoggin-eck
11-10-2012, 11:54
Cool question, and one I'm sure many of us ask ourselves. Do what you like mate, it sounds like your mind is made up already :)

I think the whole "keep two armies, you choose which one you like" is a good approach for any game, but you don't seem to have enough for a second army to match them? Go with your instinct of keeping your favourite army, at the very least :)

I'd probably sell any models you don't really want, but keep all the books since you still enjoy the background. I've had fun, 40k wise, for a long time despite really only playing fantasy just getting the rule books out occasionally (and novels). Maybe spend extra time painting up your sisters. You never know, you may find a regular opponent again.

I reckon sell off one of your smaller armies and see how that feels.

I am currently happily undercoating alot of my stuff that I have not touched for years, applying a few colour, then putting them back on the shelf. It feels better knowing they have a little paint on them.

With a spray can and a big paint brush this does not take too long (spray softly and carry a big brush).

This is a fantastic attitude, and something I'm trying to do myself. A few basic colours on an army, but neatly and consistently applied and properly based, makes them "feel" so much more worthwhile and not money wasted, than armies that I tied to paint "properly" and never finished, then stuck in a box.

.......plus I don't particularly need the money and space I could generate by selling it.

Ha, exactly how I feel right now. Going through old boxes and selling off lots of models would probably be a good idea for me, but at the moment it would be a lot of effort for little gain. It almost sounds like work! I've been worse off financially before, and selling old models helped quite a bit, but I guess I'm lucky right now. I'm finding that by hanging on to old models, I'm less likely to buy new ones. Painting up something I bought years ago while watching telly is a pretty cheap way to spend a night compared to any hobby.

BigbyWolf
11-10-2012, 12:35
No, never.

I've lost one 2nd edition Chaos Space Marine army after my parents moved house.
I've lost nearly 20,000 points of models across 5 armies through theft (one mass-thievage).

I sell little bits here and there on eBay, but usually only when I upgrade to newer versions. I can't imagine selling everything, or even an entire army.

Hengist
11-10-2012, 13:14
Now finally to the point. Having just lost another potential 40k opponent, I am thinking of seriously downsizing my GW collection and keeping only my Sisters of Battle for sentimental reasons. I would keep my non-GW stuff and offer people games by saying "Given these two choices, which army do you want to play? I'll take the other one."

This is exactly what I did, and exactly what I'd advocate; I certainly haven't looked back. If you're struggling to find people to play with, it occurs to me that you might do well to consider finding board games you could enjoy; there are plenty of people who'll happily play Carcassonne or Puerto Rico, but who'd never touch Warhammer.

de Selby
11-10-2012, 13:38
If I were in your position, I would keep them and paint them. I very seldom actually play but I enjoy the process of collecting, modelling and painting armies of little men and monsters.

If this doesn't appeal to you then you should probably just sell them, however you should maybe wait a little
a) GW minis are not depreciating
b) I frequently read posts by people who regret selling stuff and end up paying through the nose to replace it
c) You may be overestimating how hard it would be to get the stuff 'tabletop standard' painted, once you get into the swing of it. If this would play into your decision, see how quick you can paint up a small army with a big brush and some washes.

Bob Arctor
11-10-2012, 15:01
I always used to be in the position of "never sell anything" as it will always be harder or more expensive to replace later on if you change your mind. However a couple of years ago I decided I had far too much stuff (way more than you have listed) than I would ever get around to finishing, so decided to sell my Tau army as I had never really got to grips with them on the battlefield and they were mostly unpainted. Since then I have also sold off my Tyranids, Empire, Ogres and I'm considering dropping my Tomb Kings which I only started last year, all because I don't have time to do them justice (although lack of space and money is an issue too). In each case though I have kept a few favourite models, mainly limited editions, in case I ever want to go back to those armies at some point.

So I would if you aren't gaming very often and need to create some space, pick one or two of your least favourite armies and sell them on. Then wait at least 6 months to a year to see if anything changes before deciding on the rest. I wouldn't get rid of everything though, and would probably keep the books.

arthurfallz
11-10-2012, 15:05
Are you having buyers regret? Looking at all your models and thinking "I spent this much money, and what fun am I getting out of all of this stuff?" If that's the case, slash your collection down, keep maybe an army or two at most.

If you are wondering if having few games and no one to play with means you shouldn't own them, I would say ignore that. Look around for a group. Put up adds. Even a once a month game in a club you help organize is 12 games a year. Teach the game to other people, see where it goes.

I'm in a similar position, but I've taken a deep breath, committed to building and painting my stuff before I buy more, and looking at alternate rules systems to use with my miniatures.

DeeKay
11-10-2012, 17:11
If you're running out of space, then downsizing may not be a bad idea. However, keep some of each force, even if it's just something like a combat patrol or skirmish group. After all, how many posts on warseer are about the fact that someone sold off a huge army and then got back into it a few years down the line. If nothing else, when the gaming scene picks up again, you'll have large armies with which to play with!

With regards,
Dan.

DEADMARSH
11-10-2012, 17:27
I just had a friend offer me all of his OOP metal Grey Knights. Probably about 1500 points worth, plus an OOP Land Raider Crusader and a metal Coteaz with retinue. He said that if I didn't want them, he was going to sell the lot.

I absolutely love all those models, but I told him to sell them because I have...

+/- 2500 points Sisters of Battle
+/- 500 points Inquisition (Need Coteaz to be able to field them, but I have a suitable proxy)
+/- 500 points Slaanesh Daemons which were purchased for games against his Daemonhunters force (Nowadays I would need HQ to field, but I have a suitable Masque proxy)
+/- 1000 points Space Marines
+/- 1500 points Tau (in slight disrepair)
+/- 2000 points Tyranids (in slight disrepair)
Every 3rd edition Warhammer 40k book
All the obsolete 4th edition books + Apocalypse & Reload

And some non GW stuff...

Enough Dust Tactics models to field a small army of Imperial Guard + 8 "sentinels" (Or to just play Dust Warfare with)
3 small Warmachine forces
Enough Anima Tactics models to play a large game with someone
1 small Malifaux crew
Lots of Avatars of War
2 Firestorm Armada starter forces

I have painted very little of this, maybe about 15%. I am running out of space to store models. Being a law student, I have very little time to paint the minis, and even the time that I do have is often spent doing other things because, due to limited space, it takes time to clear off my paint desk and get it ready for painting.

My gaming group has not withstood the test of time. In the past 5 years, We've lost an Ork player, a 'nid player, a Tau player, a Space Wolf player, a Chaos Space Marine player, and two Dark Eldar players. Now that my GK playing friend has decided to get rid of his minis, I have only two tentative opponents: My girlfriend who has approx 1500 points of Necrons and would play only for my sake (because she got tired of it after a few early 5th ed. games and doesn't know or care to learn the 5th edition Necron rules), and my younger brother who lives 30 minutes away and has approximately 2500 points of Orks, about 1000 points of Space Wolves, and two 6x4 modular gaming tables in the basement. He is, however, talking about moving in with my Dad, who lives 1000 miles away in the Seattle area.

I game with people maybe 2-3 times a year, and about half of those games are 40k.

There are stores where I could go and play, but I pretty much never go in to game. The last time I did was to play Firestorm Armada, which isn't even sold at the LGS I went to.

I love the 40k universe.

Almost every mini I own was purchased because it could be fielded as a proxy for a GW mini, but over time I collected the rulebooks for all the minis I own, and now I happily play non GW games from time to time (and would sooner play non GW games with my girlfriend than play a game she got tired of i.e. 40k).

I am tired of GW's prices and I am no longer in the market for new GW minis. (Just a relevant factor, not a huge discussion point.)

EDIT: No one I know is in any hurry to play 6th edition, myself included.

You give a lot of information, but don't really say what you'd hope to gain by selling your stuff.

I mean, do you need the space? Are you sick of looking at it? It can't be because you need the money because everyone knows outside of a few particularly desirable OOP minis that selling GW minis never actually net you any real cash. At least not compared to what you probably paid for them to start with.

To me, that's the question when it comes to selling anything that's hobby-type stuff that won't actually get you your money back- be it GW minis, a guitar, whatever. If you know you'll never use them again or you don't play much or whatever, ok. I mean, if you just want it out of your life, then yeah, sell it. If you need the space to park your car in the garage and winter's coming, yeah- sell it. You know you're going to be moving in a couple of years and you're cleaning out stuff in preparation, sell it.

If not, why bother? If you have all this stuff crammed in a closet somewhere and it's not hurting anything, just leave it.

Etienne de Beaugard
13-10-2012, 12:08
I vote Yes, because I did sell, for many of the same reasons you are looking at. I also had a serious space/impending-move issue.

After selling, I often look back at GW games fondly (and frequent this GW-centric forum), but I do not regret my decision to check out of GW games. I have returned to minis-wargaming, but not GW. If I could redo my sell-off, I would keep my paints and a few terrain pieces. Selling the armies turned out to be a good move for me.

If you decide to sell, do so in phases. Start with your least used, least favorite models. Sell them. See how it feels. Only continue to sell if you feel comfortable.

Vos
13-10-2012, 12:12
Sell the lot and recycle the cash into a hobby or game system that you love. Life's too short to have piles of stuff that you hardly ever use!
Personally, I sold all my warhammer armies off and invested in Warmaster (GW Specialist Games 10mm fantasy) - and have never looked back.

Vos

paddyalexander
13-10-2012, 14:50
I started buying gwPLC minitures to use in D&D and other roleplaying systems. After dropping gwPLC games' systems a few years ago I still break out the minitures I own for use in roleplaying games or other companies wargaming rulesets.

If you are stuck for cash sell off your collection and buy into one of the vastly better game systems out there, otherwise I'd suggest keeping your collection as you may one day wish to return to playing gwPLCs' games or you may find an alternate system to use them in that you like.

Little Joe
13-10-2012, 15:28
I did it the crop and grow way. I have now sold off almost all models not belonging to my three main WHF armies, except for all the limited ones I have. I also sold all the old (mostly plastic) models I wanted to update and my armies have seen steady progress in growing (approximately 25k together now, when I started selling I had just 8k).
If I had to do it again I would do it but maybe limit it to two armies. At the current size I have still so much to do. I just had another phase of selling excess stuff and am keeping it for a few new things I know are coming up that I want far more then the stuff sold.

For the record I invest mostly in skirmish games right now and have acquired crews for many games. Far easier to get done and the change from crew to crew is very rewarding to work on. But large armies just look so sweet.

In your case I would sell some and get a game or two your girlfriend gets to choose, last opponent around it seems.

Tarliyn
21-10-2012, 18:51
I never get to play. I haven't played any systems games in 2-years now and I started wondering what to do with my surplus stuff. What I ended up doing was putting alot of stuff in my storage space (you could use garage, attic, basement, etc). I kept enough up where if I wanted to paint some of them I could (ie I have like 80 empire spearmen assembled but unpainted. I kept 20 in the house and stored the other 60). This cleared alot of space in my apartment, helped focus my painting, and if I ever did get a chance to play I could get my stuff grabbed fairly easily. I would not sell anything though cause you never know and if you changed your mind it would cost a lot more to rebuild then you could ever get from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kijamon
21-10-2012, 19:10
Had to vote no, purely because of my circumstances.

I played from the age of 9 till I was around 17. I moth balled my armies and a year later sold them all on ebay. The prices were okay for what I had paid. I sold approximately 10,000 points of space wolves, 4,000 points of tyranids and various other little projects. I must have been around your age so I think I have gone through a similar thing to what you are feeling.

Nearly 10 years on and I am getting back in to the hobby. I have started collecting the same armies I loved and some more newer ones. The prices have gone up, I've been buying back the same units from all that time ago and worse - all the now oop stuff I owned sells for a fortune these days.

I regret not just putting them up in the loft and keeping them in a good condition. Especially since I spent most of the 10 year absence keeping an eye on the hobby to see all the cool things I could have bought. Now I'm getting back in to it and have my girlfriend who is a fairly willing gamer, though not to my addiction level, I couldn't be happier.

I do think you should downsize but not drastically.

Kijamon
21-10-2012, 19:14
Are you having buyers regret? Looking at all your models and thinking "I spent this much money, and what fun am I getting out of all of this stuff?" If that's the case, slash your collection down, keep maybe an army or two at most.

If you are wondering if having few games and no one to play with means you shouldn't own them, I would say ignore that. Look around for a group. Put up adds. Even a once a month game in a club you help organize is 12 games a year. Teach the game to other people, see where it goes.

I'm in a similar position, but I've taken a deep breath, committed to building and painting my stuff before I buy more, and looking at alternate rules systems to use with my miniatures.

Buyers regret is a very important thing to factor in.

I must have spent about 3,000 during the last year with my hobby comeback. I have a fair few armies now, mostly painted and if you break it down to a "per battle" ratio, it works out as me paying about 60 per battle I've had.

That's not that bad in terms of the costs of various other entertainment out there. You can easily **** away more than that on a night out with your mates in the pub.

synapse
22-10-2012, 15:41
unless youre in dire need of money/space, id keep them... never know when youll start up again. i had stopped playing for quite a few years and got lured in by 6th edition. so having cupboards full of minis is always a good thing when starting again as the last thing you want it to spend months buying/assembling/painitng new models when youre desperate to get started again.

prowla
23-10-2012, 03:10
I would have no problem in axing part of the collection. I would probably keep the SoB and Inquisition and buy the GK off your friend. Sounds like a nice thematic group. Sell the ones you don't find interesting or valuable, keep a few good ones for display if there's some gems.

I don't think miniatures are a hobby where you have to be "either in or out". You can put them in storage for 10 years, paint a few minis now and then if you feel like it, then dig them out again if you get the urge to play.

Fizzy
23-10-2012, 03:41
No. Maybe selling one of my armies. But I got 2 big ones I will never sell. I enjoy painting to much.

Before I played a game a year. Now with a lasting relationship I tend to play at least once every month so perhaps 12 games a year with my girlfriend.

I do enjoy the hobby part more. I can spend 2-3 hours testing positions of a world eater marine just for the fun.

But I do see your point. Over the years I have lost 3 gaming places. 2 friends that stopped playing. One moved away before this summer. So sitting here in my old hometown with really no good possibility to start gaming seriously.
Meeting up with that friend that moved away and our common friends in Gothenburg to play a game of apocalypse. But seeing how they always get smashed by my armies they are tiring. I spend a lot of time building good all around armies as well. Taking my 1-2 hours writing a decent list and then I change it every 2 weeks.

But I am selling of my last GW pieces. Some chaos stuff then it is all FW to still my hobby needs. Got 2 3000pts armies to paint. I have painted 800pts so far in total.

I would say keep an army and the books and keep some projects around. Models of your liking.