PDA

View Full Version : expending my necron force

kieranhoare
11-10-2012, 13:49
hi, so i'm looking at expanding my necrons this christmas, so far i have a lord with warscythe and orb, i had tryzan the infanite, but i think someone accidently picked him up by mistake and have lost him, 24 warriors, a few a bit damaged, aka, snaped in 3 peices, dont leave them on the ground..., 6 scarbs, 5 lychguard with dispersion shields and hyperphase swords, a triarch stalker i have built, but not glued in weapons, i plan on magnetising them, i also plan on magnatising my command barge/annahilation barge, and as im a big fan of the old codex, they just happened to be off the shelves for over a year, and i like dawn of war computer games, i have a monolith, it comes to about 1400 points and i was wondering how i should expend it, i'd love to do the scyth spam list, but its a spam list, even as awesome as they look, its a bit cheesy, so what should i buy to make a decent army from here, thanks in advance, i like every unit in the codex, so i find it hard to choose just by looking at them, even flayed ones appeal to me, if i take imotek, and the nemasor, but thats almost 500 points of hq there alone, so not a good build just to use a bad unit to make them ok, so yeah, i just wrote about using flayed ones, i obviously need help lol, thanks in advance, and i do ramble on to much, sorry

Lord Damocles
11-10-2012, 14:01
The battleforce box set is always a good buy - and the Necron one is still one of the best available - You can never have too many Warriors* and you've got a choice of Immortals/Deathmarks and Ghost/Doomsday Ark.

If you like the Scythes, you could add one or two; but not make an entire army around them. They're good, but not brokenly good in ones or twos and give you some anti-air capability.

I'm also a major fan of Spyders, which were good last edition/codex, but got buffed and a points reduction in the current codex. Cheap counter-assault units which act as a force multiplier for Scarabs? What's not to like?

*OK, so my 101 might be just a tad excessive...

SquigBoy Extraordinaire
11-10-2012, 15:36
Maybe the correct answer is which army to you usually play against? Let's face it, purchasing useless units just doesnt compute.
I have 40 Warriors (2 20-strong squads) 20 Immortals (10 Tesla / 10 Gauss Blasters) 9 Tomb blades (2 squads) 5 Destroyers, they are awesome at taking out space marines,
No Ressurection barge for me, boys. Not with 20 man squads and a lord w/ressurection orb per squad capturing objectives, at least.
Doomsday Barge (i usually park it in a wood or ruin w/ a tomb spider hanging back and use it to snipe large blasts across the board, worth it!)
1 Night Scythe
1 Doom Scythe
6 wraiths (ZOMG! these are just too good to miss)
I fielded 10 praetorians w/Particle Casters and swords against 10 khorne Berzerkers and the berzerkers were gone in one close combat turn. Field them with coven rods and even chosen marked by Nurgle get eaten in one turn (and that's even if they are using terminator armour) But this means 1 Att less per turn and slightly less versatile IMO.
Necron monolith, for obvious reasons
Also have a Stalker, but with Death Ray - my heavy destroyers carry the heavy Gauss Cannon, Besides, the stalker is the Necron Dreadnought, so use it in an offensive role, but specially as support to an offensive.
A Cryptek harbinger of despair w/ 10 Deathmarks zooming about the battlefield is priceless, but also with 10 immortals w/gauss blasters hitting rear tank armour or 10 Lychguards taking on characters, who cares if they dont get to strike first with T5 inv save 4+ and Power Wpn St5 hitting back? even if they are overwatched and shot at, you can still reflect fire back at opponent.
good going, mate.
hope you kick rear end!

Mauler
11-10-2012, 15:43
Sorry to be finnicky but you mean extend, not expend. To expend kinda means to spend or use up, I don't think that you want to use up your Necron force ;)

I'll be watching this thread though, since having sat in on the Jervis/Ward/Vetock seminar on designing the new Necron codex I've been warming to the idea of a small Necron force...

DarkMark
11-10-2012, 17:44
Sorry to be finnicky but you mean extend, not expend

Or even expand i.e add more to, rather than lengthen.;)

RTB01
11-10-2012, 19:52
general rule with necrons is pick what you like the look of - no duff units, even flayed ones have their uses. Go with funk and you'll love it!

Lars Porsenna
11-10-2012, 20:48
Personally I would counsel getting more Warriors. I have 60 warriors, and that's only because they were built with previous editions in mind, and I haven't maxed them out yet...I usually play them in 3 blobs of 20. I would also look at more Annihilation barges (I have 3) and some Doom/Nightscythes. After that, definitely pick up a squad (or 3!) of Deathmarks. Finally, pick up some Canoptek Wraiths (I have 12, which was the max you could have in the previous book...all mine are the metal ones). I also very much like Imotekh, but when I take him I don't usually take another named HQ, if I do at all. After all that, buy what you think looks cool.

Damon.

kieranhoare
12-10-2012, 07:47
Sorry to be finnicky but you mean extend, not expend. To expend kinda means to spend or use up, I don't think that you want to use up your Necron force ;)

I'll be watching this thread though, since having sat in on the Jervis/Ward/Vetock seminar on designing the new Necron codex I've been warming to the idea of a small Necron force...

haha, i meant expand, derp moment

kieranhoare
12-10-2012, 07:48
thanks all, really great advice, im looking foward to following it up