PDA

View Full Version : Need a new dealer: 40k + Waylandgames = yay or nay?

Minsc
13-10-2012, 00:37
(I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, so feel free to move it if it isn't, however since it's 40k-related...)

Maelstromgames has for the last couple of years been my main supplier of 40k.
However, since they are apparently going bust*, I need a new place to buy my miniatures, and I have set my eye on Waylandgames.
What is the general opinion about this company here on Warseer? What is your personal opinion about them as customers?
Would you recommend someone else?

Thank's for taking the time to reply. :)

(*They claim they're not going bust, but I must say that not accepting orders on items they don't have in stock seems like pretty bad buisness move.)

Edit: Also note that if you recommend someone else, they must be able to deliver outside of the UK.

Grocklock
13-10-2012, 06:08
Personally wayland games are not bad but I prefer totalwargamer uk site. They offer 25% off good shipping never had a problem.

Cheeslord
13-10-2012, 06:45
Usually Wayland is OK and has a good selection, but once they sat on a big order for several months with no explanation and needed lots of chasing for a reply (that was a while ago and they may have improved)

Wargames Workshop is insanely quick (I have sometimes got orders within 24 hours), but have a more limited selection (though a good selection of terrain).

Mark.

DarkMark
13-10-2012, 06:50
I've heard mixed reviews on Wayland. However, I've never heard a bad word said about Firestorm games (http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/). You need to spend 30 to get the free postage, but that's easily done!

Radium
13-10-2012, 06:50
I've used both Maelstrom and Wayland. In my experience, Maelstrom is slightly cheaper for small orders, where Wayland wins out in larger orders. And Wayland seems to get my order to me quicker.

totaltyke
13-10-2012, 08:54
I won't use Wayland ever again. The orders are incredibly slow to be dispatched. I recently placed a large order with them for 40k stuff. Chased them after a week and the reply was that they were waiting for stock and should be dispatched the next day. Chased again after 2 weeks and got the same response. I asked them to cancel the order, which they did, but I didn't receive any sort of apology. Friends have also experienced long delays in receiving their orders.

koran
13-10-2012, 09:22
Ive had the same as totaltyke. Horrible service and when I finally canceled my order and told them I would be going elsewhere in the future after such awful service their email response was a not very subtle "who cares". Now I dont doubt that they didnt care but thats not the best customer relations exercise to someone youve already shown poor service to. I will see if I can dig out the email.

Ebon
13-10-2012, 09:34
I've used GiftsForGeeks.org.uk (http://www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk) for years. Standard 20-25% discount on GW products, reasonable selection. Delivery can be a little slow on occasion but not horribly so.

Minsc
13-10-2012, 09:45
Cheers for all the helpful replies guys.
I've decided to not make WLGames my new 40k-supplier.
GiftForGeeks looks very appealing however, I'll make some pricechecks but so far it looks good.

koran: feel free to dig out the email, if that was their reply I find that quite outrageous.

mrtn
13-10-2012, 10:21
I'm in the same seat so interested in the different answers.

I've used GiftsForGeeks.org.uk (http://www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk) for years. Standard 20-25% discount on GW products, reasonable selection. Delivery can be a little slow on occasion but not horribly so.
I checked them out yesterday, and while the discount is good the apparently total lack of "free postage" offers meant that the order ended up as being almost as expensive as going to a GW store here in town. As a Swede the free postage of Maelstrom (and the fact that the pound is relatively low, especially if you look at GW's prices) is much more interesting than the difference between 10 and 20% discount. Not having any easily accessible information on shipping on the site didn't help either, I looked for more than ten minutes and finally had to get it from order checkout...

Killgore
13-10-2012, 10:23
Wayland have just rolled out a new order system, hope it improves speed.

Novrain
13-10-2012, 10:33
Another vote for giftsforgeeks - I have ordered from them for years now and never had an issue

Minsc
13-10-2012, 10:56
I'm in the same seat so interested in the different answers.

I checked them out yesterday, and while the discount is good the apparently total lack of "free postage" offers meant that the order ended up as being almost as expensive as going to a GW store here in town. As a Swede the free postage of Maelstrom (and the fact that the pound is relatively low, especially if you look at GW's prices) is much more interesting than the difference between 10 and 20% discount. Not having any easily accessible information on shipping on the site didn't help either, I looked for more than ten minutes and finally had to get it from order checkout...

Ouch.
Since you and I probably end up with the same postage-cost, how much did the postage end up at?

mrtn
13-10-2012, 11:08
I'm looking to buy Dark Vengeance and the new Chaos codex. GfG wants 75, plus 17.75 in P&P. Buying it from GW direct would only cost some 110ish crowns more, and you wouldn't have to worry about stuff getting lost in the post, or problems if you have to exchange something.
Now I'm looking at Firestorm Games, recommended by DarkMark earlier, they'd want 82ish, and with free postage.

Spider-pope
13-10-2012, 11:09
I have to say nay. Every order i've placed with them had incredibly slow dispatch and zero customer support. Any inquiries about my order were either ignored or replied with the same excuse of "we're moving warehouses", which if accurate means Wayland changes where it keeps stock on a twice weekly basis.

Gaz
13-10-2012, 11:33
Wayland are good...if you don't want things in a hurry.

Damien 1427
13-10-2012, 11:43
I've only had problems with Wayland twice. Once when they were moving warehouse, again when they were updating their stocking system. Every other time has been fine. So I'd certainly give them a "yay", although I don't really use that many other retailers. Usually I just buy straight from the manufacturer.

crandall87
13-10-2012, 11:49
I have used Wayland Games for years. Yes there may be a wait on larger orders but their service is great and the new improvements to their website should make things a lot easier. Personally if you want stuff really quick just buy it straight from GW, if you want a 25% discount then be prepared to wait a week or two.

Kenzaburo
13-10-2012, 12:47
so, wait, what's the deal with maelstrom? i've gotten their warehouse move-clearance mails and took them for just that. this week they sent another mail out, stating that they deny any rumours about them going out of business. but that means there are rumours...so, what's the skinny on this? afaik they have that huge store(eye of the storm) with all the niceties the hobby can offer. and same as OP, maelstrom has been my go to online retailer for all stuff miniature related. my brother is still waiting for his DV set to be dispatched to him by MS though...

jjennings3
13-10-2012, 14:24
I've had done awful experiences with Wayland and I will never use them again. Awful site, inaccurate stock levels, and shocking customer service. Avoid imo

Cheexsta
13-10-2012, 14:39
Before the GW embargo I had made some pretty big purchases both from Maelstrom and Wayland (and Darksphere, for that matter). Gotta agree that Wayland has some pretty slow shipping, but you get used to that when you live on the opposite end of the world...

RanaldLoec
13-10-2012, 14:56
Wayland I find for larger orders or multiples of the same unit can be slow. Mainly because they order things in so your waiting on GW delivering to Wayland to deliver to you.

For smaller orders I've found them to be fine.

Targ Ironfist
13-10-2012, 15:00
Wayland: have placed my order with Wayland games. Will see how it goes through. Will let you know.
-As I said already with Maelstrom - I expect for independent retailers to have problems with receiving the GW stuff - mainly new on time. It is ever recuring theme with GW guys - their Europe limitation to the independent traders speaks volumes.

Kenzaburo: Maelstrom - There is a whole thread about Maelstrom difficulties on Warseer. Nothing is certain. Sure is, their customer service is not able to manage their client relations.
I specificaly informed them about a thread here on the Warseer and they were unable to answer on the page, just sent me a nice thank you via e-mail.
My guess is - they have difficulties of some kind. What kind and what exactly is rather a matter of speculation.
A pity, I used to like them a lot.

jimbo2
13-10-2012, 15:03
Like others I have had problems with delays on orders week after week. It's alright if you live close enough to pop in and can pick from what's on the shelves as they do have all the Vallejo paints available to browse but I stopped shopping there as you have to chase them every time the order doesn't turn up and it's always the same excuse passing the buck to other people, I never actually got a single apology.

Delicious Ron
13-10-2012, 15:31
Wayland are good...if you don't want things in a hurry.

This, same goes for maelstrom. What Wayland loses out on is that their free shipping deals on happen a few times a year when maelstrom has that as a standard feature, If Maelstrom goes bust (which I doubt) I will probably try out firestorm games.

Ace Rimmer
13-10-2012, 16:06
I've used wayland a few times before. Their GW stock tend's to be around 2 weeks for delivery, most other system item's they have in stock so it's really quick.

I've just placed my first ever order with Total Wargamer, so I'll let you know how I get on :)

Targ Ironfist
19-10-2012, 06:58
+1 to Wayland games.
Ordered, paid, got confirmation and the goods is here.
It took 5 days to get here to Slovakia from the UK.
Not bad at all.

Reasonable Commissar
19-10-2012, 12:59
Ill never use them again every time Ive placed an order its taken over 2 weeks to arrive and they have never replied to my chaser emails. Things are always saying in stock on the store and then after buying them they are stuck on "awaiting stock" for 1-2 weeks.

Last time I ordered from them they kept it on hold for over 3 weeks before giving me a refund as it was out of stock.

Absolutely terrible company.

Rabbitden
19-10-2012, 13:39
I've used Gifts for Geeks for a number of years and find them to be very quick (2-3 Days delivery). I've also used Total Wargamer a few times as i find their 30% off makes things a little easier, but they do seem to take forever to despatch items. I recently placed a large order with them and their lack of communication was a bit worrying as they are quick to take the money out of your bank account but it took them about a month to deliver the goods.

I'd say go for Gifts for Geeks if you need something within a few days, else take advantage of Total Wargamers larger discount (they may be slow but THEY DO get there eventually).

Malagor
20-10-2012, 23:37
Those who have ordered from Total Wargamers, are there a choice in delivery or do they only use standard ?

movin_pics
21-10-2012, 00:26
I only tend to order from Wayland and have yet to suffer any problems.

Dutchwing
21-10-2012, 00:52
I've used wayland for quite some time but the last few months their service and shipping has been nothing but utter crap. I live in holland so stuff from the uk usually takes 3 days to get here. My last 3 orders both big and small were all in stock according to wayland, yet it still took them 4 weeks and 3 days to ship me the small orders. I cancelled the big order after 5 weeks of sending chasing mails and hearing nothing but awaiting stock excuses, and it took me 2 more weeks to get a refend. Tbh i'd rather regurgitate donkey seamon than order 1 more time from that weak excuse of a company.

rich1231
21-10-2012, 10:22
Not trying to dismiss your issues, but until the stock check weekend and system migration we did a few weeks ago our same day and average wait to ship on orders has been getting better and better. There will obviously be exceptions but it is what we are focussed on improving all the time. There have been a few delays since that weekend, as our purchasing system made some requirements errors but we fixed them last week.

Absolute Commissar- you simple would not have been ignored, it simply doesn't happen. I monitor Helpdesk response times and every ticket is cleared everyday unless a customer has been told it will take longer. However you mention sending emails. Which is likely a reason, as all store emails have a Do Not reply tag on them and we put the links to our helpdesk in every automated email from our systems. We use a helpdesk system as it allows multiple members of staff to help the same customer rather than the poor workflow allowed by a shared email address.

We actually answer the phone and offer customer support. And I am 100% certain that we operate more transparently than any competitor.

The Marshel
21-10-2012, 11:25
A lot of people seem to have a go at waylands or claim they've had terrible experiences and will never use them again. despite this, waylands remains one of the strongest web stores for wargaming out there. I can't really think of anyone expanding as quickly as they are and very few who can offer a range as vast as theirs. So given this is despite the number of people saying how bad they are, i think that says a lot about how capable people in charge of the business actually are.

Waylands likely does a lot more bussiness then other webstores, and so will naturally see a lot more issues then other webstores, and it doesn't help that people are quicker to complain then praise. that is something you need to keep in mind when looking for this kinda advice.

before the embargo I was a regular waylands customer and never had a problem with them. If i could still supply my gw hobbies through them I would without a second thought.

Vhalyar
21-10-2012, 13:16
A few years ago, Maelstrom was excellent. Over time they've gone down the shitter though. I had to do a credit chargeback on my last order with them because it's been "processing" for over two months, yet they refuse to answer emails/pick up the damn phone. Anyone with pending orders at Maelstrom would be wise to get their money back as soon as possible before they go under.

Wayland has typically been good for me. Not super fast, but always reliable. They answer emails quickly and the phone line is always available. The only hiccup is that for my most recent order I paid for courier shipping, yet they sent it via air mail. Would have been nice if they had actually offered a refund for the shipping cost when I called them, instead of just apologies. I didn't quite mind at the time, but it's been over two weeks in transit and that's a double-whammy of annoyance.

brain_dead_1st
21-10-2012, 18:48
so, wait, what's the deal with maelstrom? i've gotten their warehouse move-clearance mails and took them for just that. this week they sent another mail out, stating that they deny any rumours about them going out of business. but that means there are rumours...so, what's the skinny on this? afaik they have that huge store(eye of the storm) with all the niceties the hobby can offer. and same as OP, maelstrom has been my go to online retailer for all stuff miniature related. my brother is still waiting for his DV set to be dispatched to him by MS though...

As a regular of maelstrom here is the lowdown.

Maelstrom and The Eye of the Storm (the shop and gaming hall) are splitting up. Maelstrom is moving to a new warhouse but to release the equity they need to sell as much stock as possible to help pay for both the new warhouse and for the move.

The shop and gaming hall part will then be a separate entity so rather than having its shelves robbed by the online store orders it will be able to actually have stock in it. WOW

So until they finish the move its all about selling off their stock to release the equity and make the move cheaper. SO GET BUYING!! :)

jt.glass
21-10-2012, 20:10
I had one not-great experience with Wayland - I waited a couple of months for them to complete an order, which may not have been entirely their fault as I got the impression that they were being mucked about by their suppliers, but their communication in the meantime could have been better. I got my stuff OK in the end, though.

And apart from that one incident, they have always been fine. And they carry Battlefoam, which is awesome.

As Mark mentions, Wargames Workshop are also pretty good, although they can't match Wayland's range or prices.

EDIT: No idea about shipping abroad for either, though.

glass.

angelofrage
21-10-2012, 20:43
If I want a discount I normally go for Giftsforgeeks, orders arrive fairly quickly and have had good communication. I have had a few bad experiences with Wayland games and so wouldn't recommend them. Even ordering stuff that shows in stock, after a week or more the orders are sat waiting and this is with express shipping paid for!

I know it's not very cool to back GW itself, but for getting stuff delivered quickly they really can't be beat. Yes it's more expensive, but sometimes you just don't want to wait.

duffybear1988
21-10-2012, 21:27
I must mention Firestorm games. They are very friendly, they have regular stock, and orders are posted quickly.

Wayland can be slow to get orders out, and Giftsforgeeks seem pricey when you add on the postage.

Skydance87
21-10-2012, 21:37
Since I live in Sweden, I strongly recommend the Swedish site Gamemaniacs! Large inventory, low prices, fast shipping and good service. In fact, they are so good, I never even bothered looking elsewhere for the past ten years. Unless an item is out of stock of course, then its games-workshop :)

BaSe
21-10-2012, 21:39
I've used Wayland quite a few times and found them very slow. Always use the same excuses and unless they have a free delivery promotion, not always that cheap.
OG games are good as well as Total Wargamer. I've not used Tripple Helix but a few if my mates say they are fast.

Keebrev
21-10-2012, 22:52
I like the wide range of products Wayland had. I ordered a few times, both large and small orders. I always got my orders, unfortunately not that fast. Last one had me waiting for 5 weeks. Helpdesk ticket was answered the next day, which is good. Too bad it did not contain an actual answer, just a standard excuse. I will give it one last try, now that they have live stocks.

Librariarch
24-10-2012, 02:25
I cannot urge you in strong enough terms: avoid Wayland Games.

I have made the mistake of ordering from them twice, had nothing but delays and problems both times, and have come away frustrated and angry both times.

Last year when GW cancelled RoW sales, Wayland put an announcement on their website saying that they intended to keep shipping to RoW no matter what GW said, and were still taking GW orders from RoW, so I placed a GW order. They then held my money for NEARLY A MONTH before cancelling my order saying that they could not ship to RoW.

I decided to give them another chance this year based on their supposedly improved inventory system, upon which I call major and total shenanigans. All of the items I ordered carried the green light icon, which, and I'm quoting them, means "High Availability: If in stock should ship in 1-5 working days, if not then 3-9." After waiting 10 business days (2 weeks) with the items still showing as green lighted but my order still showing as processing, I requested a refund/cancellation so I could get the items elsewhere, and happened to mention in the (epic) DakkaDakka thread "Maelstrom Games: Taking the Biscuit?" that I thought their claims as to order fulfillment timeframe were akin to something that falls periodically from the back end of the genus Equus, from a spot right below where the vertebral column ends.

While they have not bothered answering my refund request, someone from Wayland appeared on Dakka within minutes to imply that I couldn't read and then, get this: threatened to cancel my order (which I had already asked them to do) and sent me a PM demanding that I retract what I had said because it was obviously my misunderstanding for believing that the nine-business-day turnaround they were advertising meant that they would ship my items within 9 business days.

I won't deal with them again, and given that their staff make a habit of spending time on forums confronting anyone who dares to criticise their inaccurate shipping timeframe claims rather than working to fulfill orders within the promised timeframe, I would recommend that no-one else do so either. I'm sure they'll be here in a few minutes to send me another PM and tell everyone that nine business days doen't really mean nine business days and that I'm totally wrong.

You know who I would recommend? Trolltrader. I have only dealt with them via ebay, but they ship lightning fast and the one time I had a minor problem (a defective model), the person I contacted apologised profusely, offered to intercede on my behalf with the manufacturer, and in general made me feel like a valued customer. His name is Louis and he's one of the classiest, friendliest people I have ever dealt with in about 30 years playing miniatures games. He'll be getting my business in the future.

hashrat
31-12-2012, 10:27
I have had ups and downs with them, my last order shipped the day I placed it and arrived the next (Courier)

My current order on the other hand, I check it is in stock and it shows In Stock 1.
I place my order and within minutes it changes to in stock 0.
Days pass and my order still shows Processing, the page I placed the order from now says awaiting stock 8 days.
I also checked the box to get a refund for orders they do not have in stock.

I have no refund, I have not seen my order leave the warehouse, so wtf is the problem this time? I could have ordered it from somewhere else and would have received it today, as it is I guess I might get lucky and see it get shipped in 8 days, so maybe I will have it in 14 or so. Terrible. And what is the point of being able to choose options to get a refund when they get their stock wrong, if they do not refund you anyway?

Reasonable Commissar
31-12-2012, 10:50
They are terrible avoid like the plague.

Sami
31-12-2012, 19:10
Currently use Rocket Hobbies (http://www.rockethobbies.co.uk/) and other than my very first order being a bit slow (they were just setting up) I've had no issues with them at all. 25% off most of GW's range (finecast is a bit lower), very quick turnaround on customer service inquiries, etc. That they're also based in my home town Canterbury also helps too :).

Was using Dark Sphere but had a few issues with VERY delayed orders, items out of stock, wrong items sent, etc. Just at that time Rocket Hobbies announced themselves on my club's forum and that was that.

RagingScots
01-01-2013, 00:20
I use Great Canadian Miniatures. Ive never had a problem with shipping or products plus you can get some pretty good deals.

Nikolaus
01-01-2013, 02:12
What i use is firestorm games... its been mentioned before and they lucky fact i live not far from the store, shipping isnt really a problem.. they are always upfront and personal about stuff and they wont ******** you.. if something hasnt come in on time.. they make sure to chase it up w/o you asking and if its a major delay.. ive had postage refunded before now..

stuff like the mail order only parts from gw (Destroyer Lord upgrade for example) you wont get a big discount on.. but name me another site who does?

with weyland.. I have dealt with them twice.. and both times vary hugely.. i made two orders to test them out.. same box of chaos marines.. bought an hour apart, using two different cards, same address.. second order arrived in 24hours.. first one failed to arrive after 4 weeks. i called them after 2, as they said upto 7 working days wait... no answer/put on hold, tried asking for a refund.. refused me.. they dodged around trying to say it has been posted but its royal mails fault despite me ordering through UPS

put it this way.. they are ****. it took 2 weeks of hassle to get a refund.. not on postage but on the original price.. so i lost money on it..

stay away from them

Shi An De
01-01-2013, 03:32
I've not used any of them, but I've just checked the price of the BRB on Total Wargamer, Gifts for Geeks, Firestorm and Rocket Hobbies. Total Wargames is currently the cheapest; they have a 25% sale on GW produucts.

Out of interest, someone above mentionedma GW embargo. Was that something specific?

Nikolaus
01-01-2013, 05:15
I've not used any of them, but I've just checked the price of the BRB on Total Wargamer, Gifts for Geeks, Firestorm and Rocket Hobbies. Total Wargames is currently the cheapest; they have a 25% sale on GW produucts.

Out of interest, someone above mentionedma GW embargo. Was that something specific?
it was put in place to stop selling gw items over seas..

thing is companies got around it.. but it sill exists.. i know for a fact its extremely hard trying to buy gw stuff in RoI from the uk store.. and you could live a metre over the border...

RTB01
01-01-2013, 18:47
I also use Rockethobbies.co.uk - ordered loads from them over the past couple of years for myself and my school club. I once tried ordering from Wayland and waited 6 weeks for my order. I wouldn't waste your time there. In all seriousness Rocket has always been spot on and if they don't list it on their website you can request things and they get them in

Disposable Hero
01-01-2013, 21:14
I am lucky to have a LGS that offers a 20% discount on GW. I ordered a box of Cryx from Wayland and it was not in stock. So coupled with me wanting my box immediately and the wait for the box to come in stock..

That is the thing with ordering from webstores..I want them delivered asap...which might create unrealistic expectations.

Nikolaus
01-01-2013, 22:03
I am lucky to have a LGS that offers a 20% discount on GW. I ordered a box of Cryx from Wayland and it was not in stock. So coupled with me wanting my box immediately and the wait for the box to come in stock..

That is the thing with ordering from webstores..I want them delivered asap...which might create unrealistic expectations.

you are indeed fortunate..

Metal Handkerchief
02-01-2013, 00:55
Cheers for all the helpful replies guys.
I've decided to not make WLGames my new 40k-supplier.
GiftForGeeks looks very appealing however, I'll make some pricechecks but so far it looks good.

koran: feel free to dig out the email, if that was their reply I find that quite outrageous.

DUDE! Try Boostep.se!

They are a Finnish site, delivering to all of Scandinavia + Finland (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland)

They have the full selection that Maelstrom used to have, and the shipping will be both cheaper and quicker for you being Swedish. Wayland is not bad by any means, I used to buy from them, but Boostep are just cheaper and faster.

Heafstaag
02-01-2013, 01:08
Why not go to a local game shop? If there aren't any in your area then disregard this post.

Metal Handkerchief
02-01-2013, 01:49
Why not go to a local game shop? If there aren't any in your area then disregard this post.

Scandinavia is bereft of GW or subsidiary brick and mortar. We rely solely on the internet.

And even if there was a GW store down the street, I would still buy most of my stuff of the webs rather than subsidizing Games Workshop's eating-it's-own-tail LGS policy. GW is not ever going to be IKEA, it's about time their brick and mortar goes away for good completely.

Heafstaag
02-01-2013, 02:00
Scandinavia is bereft of GW or subsidiary brick and mortar. We rely solely on the internet.

And even if there was a GW store down the street, I would still buy most of my stuff of the webs rather than subsidizing Games Workshop's eating-it's-own-tail LGS policy. GW is not ever going to be IKEA, it's about time their brick and mortar goes away for good completely.

I don't mean a games workshop store. I mean a local games store that sells a variety of games; like board games, miniatures games, etc, which in includes GW stuff. And independent retailer, if you like. I've been going to a game shop, which has changed locations three times, for about, oh...a least 12 years...since I was about 12, maybe earlier! The owner is like an odd uncle! Haha.

Anyways, do you have those in Scandinavia?

RagingScots
02-01-2013, 03:28
I mentioned it before but i love Great Canadian Miniatures. The have a full GW stock for 30% off. There shipping has always been very prompt. I live in Canada so i dont know how expensive there international shipping is though. I would give them a check if you want cheap models.

Metal Handkerchief
02-01-2013, 04:47
I don't mean a games workshop store. I mean a local games store that sells a variety of games; like board games, miniatures games, etc, which in includes GW stuff. And independent retailer, if you like. I've been going to a game shop, which has changed locations three times, for about, oh...a least 12 years...since I was about 12, maybe earlier! The owner is like an odd uncle! Haha.

Yes, but they're not profitable mostly. There is a pure GW in Oslo, there used to be one in Bergen. Then there was Avalon and Outland in Trondheim of which only the latter is still operating, and they're selling a hell of a lot more Magic: The Gathering than they are Games Workshop.

Hell, a pure Wizards of the Coast store anywhere in Norway will do 20 times as much business as a Games Workshop store.

Thing about Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc. is that there are 2-3 cities where you can have that kind of specialization in a store and break even or a profit, but the brunt of the three countries' populations are evenly distributed across the non-urban part of the country. I live in a town with 20,000 people, and I bet there are more people playing 40K here than in most other Norwegian towns under 100,000 people. And nobody plays Warhammer Fantasy. The local game store concept is completely redundant in 95% of these countries. Internet is king, and there is no reason why people in Blackburn, Birmingham, Stoke or London couldn't jolly well buy their **** on eBay like the rest of us and make barren the whole silly store concept.

And don't feed me the whole "somewhere to play" ********, we all go to each other's homes and play, or rent a hall for a weekend if it's a tourney. It's more sociable, there's no staff to pester you, and you make your own rules.

Luckily, we have one of the most popular colleges in Northern Norway here, so we end up getting new players each semester. Thing is, we know where to recruit. People in big cities are lazy and complacent and let stores do it for them. And I bet most big city players don't even know or remember (or care) the other guy's name 3 days after a game. Over here, once we've met, we become close friends. We play over a beer, and I even catch some of these weirdos singing together some of the time.

The Warhammers should be sociable, and LGS stores are more of a hindrance than an aid.

And yes, we do have an LGS here. They chose to discontinue GW recently just because it was too unreliable from year to year. But all that store ever did for us was provide us an overpriced option at minis and paint and no benefits. Once you go online, you don#t go back. Or I would hope so.

Edit: The only time I've physically been inside a Games Workshop store was in Berlin, Germany. One of the very biggest cities in Europe, the most central store location they had was a 9 sq. meter shop with 2 game tables with shoddy terrain and 10 sweaty bibs rubbing their pelvises against mini stands and another 10 children crying for their mommy to buy some spess muhreen. I felt like I had entered an actual hell. If this is the best Games Workshop's rotten franchise can produce in one of the world's biggest cities, I'd hate to see what they'd do here.

Heafstaag
02-01-2013, 04:56
Wow, never seen that terrible view on game stores. Brick and mortar stores are where the soul of the hobby is at. I play at stores, and at my home, but I'm glad the brick and mortar store is there, because I like the owner, who is helpful, funny, and provides discounts here and there randomly. I can go there to paint and chat with other players basically any time, and stay late practically everyday of the week if I wanted...I only rarely do that as I enjoy my night life.

But man, such disdain for actual stores? I've never encountered that view, and quite frankly detest it. Maybe the idea doesn't work where you live, but it works fine here.

mrtn
02-01-2013, 10:38
DUDE! Try Boostep.se!

They are a Finnish site, delivering to all of Scandinavia + Finland (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland)

They have the full selection that Maelstrom used to have, and the shipping will be both cheaper and quicker for you being Swedish. Wayland is not bad by any means, I used to buy from them, but Boostep are just cheaper and faster.

Is that some kind of automated store or what? It doesn't seem cheaper, for example a box of gors cost 187:21 SEK compared to the 190 it cost on the GW site, and the reason most people buys from the UK is the high Swedish prices. Saving 3 SEK won't make anyone happier. As a comparison the UK RRP is 15.50, 163 SEK, so buying from the UK will automatically save you a whole lot more assuming you get a free or low postage cost.

Malagor
02-01-2013, 11:52
Yeah Boostep doesn't seem quite that cheap, infact they are overall more expensive then the store where I play.
I saw someone recommend Game Maniacs here in this thread and I must say that I'm very happy with them.
Cheap prices, maybe not as cheap as some of the UK stores but the delivery is way faster(being in Sweden an all) and the difference isn't that big. I ordered two beastmen battalions from Game Maniacs and there was only like a 20kr difference between them and Total Wargamer(still over 250kr cheaper then getting it from GW) I think it was and 20kr isn't that bad if the difference is from 2-3 week delivery to 2-3 days.

Metal Handkerchief
02-01-2013, 13:29
I forgot to mention, you have to buy something at least once from them to "earn" the discount. And it's for their entire stock, which includes everything I possibly need. Like Vallejo paints and Army Painter colour sprays. Brushes in all qualities and sizes, modeling stuff, magnets, pinning brass, figure cases etc. The thing about Boostep that I noticed is that it's cheaper when buying large volumes.

For instance, I just paid 238.50 NOK for a Necron Triarch Stalker, which is 330 NOK from GW.

I also bought the Necron Battleforce for 497 NOK.

If you don't see at least those returns in savings, it must be a Swedish problem (but then you guys are "challenged" aren't you :p)

oink
02-01-2013, 13:55
I would highly recommend Triple Helix Wargames (http://triplehelixwargames.co.uk/). They are relatively speedy but more to the point they typically offer 20% discount on all product (GW and other) but more to teh point they provide FREE shipping (within the UK at least - not sure of costs to Europe or beyond)!

They have a reward scheme too for repeat customers which allows you to quickly shave a bit extra off the price of your order and there is almost always someone ready to answer the phone if you have any questions or issues. If they find part of your order may be delayed or out of stock they will usually split the package and send the rest of the order anyway. I usually pay through Paypal too, and they are prompt at dealing with (and offering) refunds where they are unable to meet my time expectations.

Give them a go.

Lord Aegorn
02-01-2013, 14:39
Have any of you tried ordering from darksphere.co.uk? I have never tried ordering from them because I usually just pick up what I need when I am in London.
They seem to have nice competitive prices. Any experiences from anyone?

Kraigallach
02-01-2013, 18:26
Dark Sphere's been good for me, if you're ordering you need to be ordering a couple of things to get a saving due to the postage, but just 2 or 3 sets is enough to make a decent difference from GW. And if you go to London often you can order it at web prices to pick up in store without paying postage. I've ordered several sets from them, and they have all arrived within a week (I'm in the UK though, not sure how it does overseas)

Azazel
03-01-2013, 00:40
I can strongly recommend Triple Helix Wargames.

I'd had some problems with long delays from other webstores, but Triple Helix are so reliable. Their prices are 20% off not 25%, but the free shipping often means you still save money by shopping there. And even if it doesn't I would happily pay a few extra because I know when I order from them I will get a great service, and my models won't take a year to arrive.

Bartali
03-01-2013, 08:07
Any recommendations for a UK retailer that :-

1. Posts in-stock items same or next day
2. Gives a minimum of 10% discount on GWs prices (including postage)

Merellin
03-01-2013, 12:18
I normaly use http://alphaspel.se/shop/ They are the cheepest swedish webshop I'v found.

Malagor
03-01-2013, 12:55
http://www.gamemaniacs.se/ cheaper then alpha

Nikolaus
03-01-2013, 14:52
Any recommendations for a UK retailer that :-

1. Posts in-stock items same or next day
2. Gives a minimum of 10% discount on GWs prices (including postage)

firestorm games off that.

duffybear1988
03-01-2013, 15:12
Yep Firestorm games are great.

Bartali
04-01-2013, 11:06
After having a look at firestorm games website, it doesn't show stock levels. It shows 'availability 1-5 days', which to my mind means they order the item from GW after you've placed your order.

I'll rephrase my original question. Anywhere in the UK that keeps good stock levels of 40k products, posts same or next day and gives a minimum of 10% discount on GW prices (including delivery)

Nicho
04-01-2013, 11:57
Battleworlds usually have 20% off most items and do some great deals.

Bartali
04-01-2013, 12:07
Battleworlds doesn't fulfill my criteria unfortunately. No stock levels listed and "Delivery period: 5-7 day(s)"

Minsc
04-01-2013, 16:52

There is a store near me (~8 km away) that sells GW-miniatures amongst other things. (it's mainly a Console/PC-game store.)
The problem with that store is that the prices are pretty much identical to buying straight from GW, and they rarely have everything I want in stock, if I need to place a big order, and they only take in new orders every third week or so, so I might as well buy from the internet. Still, it's a great store if you're looking for the odd paint or a specific box.

I actually made a large order from Wayland, despite the many "No!"'s I got, and I'd give them a 3 out of 5.
I made the order on the 10th of December, and I made sure that everything I ordered was either in stock, or had "days untill due" max 3 days, so I expected the order to be packed and shipped between the 16th to the 18th. For some reason however, it wasn't dispatched untill the 21th, (7 workingdays after I made the order), which meant that I didn't have the order in my hand untill the 2nd of January.

I realize that this has mostly to do with the holidays and what not, and normally I wouldn't complain, but if everything is in stock and/or have a "days untill due" of 3 days, it should'nt take 7 days before the order is dispatched.
They also get a minus for the shipping-cost of 15 (6% of my total order, so not much, but still.)
At least I got the package delivered to my door for some reason.

For those who're interrested: My order from Waylandgames cost me 239,54 (254,54 with shipping.)
The same order would cost 298 if I ordered from GW.

Heafstaag
04-01-2013, 23:25
There is a store near me (~8 km away) that sells GW-miniatures amongst other things. (it's mainly a Console/PC-game store.)
The problem with that store is that the prices are pretty much identical to buying straight from GW, and they rarely have everything I want in stock, if I need to place a big order, and they only take in new orders every third week or so, so I might as well buy from the internet. Still, it's a great store if you're looking for the odd paint or a specific box.

I actually made a large order from Wayland, despite the many "No!"'s I got, and I'd give them a 3 out of 5.
I made the order on the 10th of December, and I made sure that everything I ordered was either in stock, or had "days untill due" max 3 days, so I expected the order to be packed and shipped between the 16th to the 18th. For some reason however, it wasn't dispatched untill the 21th, (7 workingdays after I made the order), which meant that I didn't have the order in my hand untill the 2nd of January.

I realize that this has mostly to do with the holidays and what not, and normally I wouldn't complain, but if everything is in stock and/or have a "days untill due" of 3 days, it should'nt take 7 days before the order is dispatched.
They also get a minus for the shipping-cost of 15 (6% of my total order, so not much, but still.)
At least I got the package delivered to my door for some reason.

For those who're interrested: My order from Waylandgames cost me 239,54 (254,54 with shipping.)
The same order would cost 298 if I ordered from GW.

Fair enough! There are two game stores near me, and both carry a wide variety of GW products, amongst many other things. Both stores have just about everything in stock, and if its not, they'll order it soon. Both stores also offer discounts on GW models. Plus, if you buy from the owner of one of the stores, the one I've been going to for over a decade, he will randomly offer items for a discount, or give them to you for free! This is generally on purchases of several hundred dollars, but still. One time I received a free dark elf hydra, clippers, glue, plus a discount on the rest of my purchase!

Plus, I like actually going to the store, and looking at the boxes, picking them up, etc, etc.