PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf/Fantasy models in 40k?

Reflection
13-10-2012, 01:04
Hey guys, got a question for all you creative/crazy/warped people!

I want to use a Wood Elf army exactly like Demons in terms of being used in both systems. However, I can't think of the army that would represent Wood Elves models best in 40k. I'm not overly concerned about the specific army, just a way that would require minimal effort to 'work' in both systems. Here's some ideas:

Imperial guard: How would you convert heavy weapons however?
Dark Eldar: Same problem, heavy weapons!

Demons: Could be possible with some wicked paint schemes, but what would Glade Guard count as? Dryads?

If you don't think this duo army is even possible, what other fantasy army do you think could pull it off besides the obvious Demons? Thanks for the help!

MajorWesJanson
13-10-2012, 09:10
Well, the tau part would be difficult, but Wood Elves as kroot might work. Wardancers as Kroot, Archers as fire warriors, Dryads as kroothounds, Maybe use Treeman as crisis suits, but the loadout may be an issue.

Empire as Imperial guard works rather well, as cannons and volley guns work as nice heavy weapons, The big griffon could be a valkyrie/vendetta, steamtanks as Guard tanks. Knights as roughriders.

mrtn
13-10-2012, 10:00
I don't think that bows fit in 40K, so IMO you'd almost have to look at a mainly close combat army for this. I could see beastmen working as daemons.

Artinam
13-10-2012, 10:14
Maybe they can work as Eldar Exodites, with Glade Guard as Guardians, Wardancers as Howling Banshees and Treekin/Treemen as Wraith Lords.

But without any techno bits they would still seem a bit out of place.

Killgore
13-10-2012, 10:26
They would look seriously out of place, although there was rules for a bow in the 2nd ed rulebook! Shame its abit out of date.

Firaxin
13-10-2012, 15:02
Seeing as Exodites are 40k's Wood Elves just as Necrons are 40k's Tomb Kings just as Space Marines are 40k's Bretonnians (etc), I would say call them Exodites and use either Eldar codex.

Lars Porsenna
13-10-2012, 15:14
Maybe they can work as Eldar Exodites, with Glade Guard as Guardians, Wardancers as Howling Banshees and Treekin/Treemen as Wraith Lords.

But without any techno bits they would still seem a bit out of place.

I was reading Path of the Outcast by Gav the other night, and the descriptions he had of the Exodites sounded a lot like High Elfs: scaled armor (as from the skin of a beast), tall helms reminiscent of the Craftworld Eldar, spears, shields. So HE Spearmen would come as-is, or perhaps spears replaced with laser lances, mount Silver Helms on Dark Elf Cold Ones for cavalry -- replace lances with laser Lances and give them shuriken pistols, and plunder the Lizardmen range for the rest (i.e. Stegodons with HE in the howdah, armed with Bright Lances and Scatter Lasers). Personally I would write a new list for them...

Damon.

popisdead
18-10-2012, 20:44
I don't think that bows fit in 40K, so IMO you'd almost have to look at a mainly close combat army for this. I could see beastmen working as daemons.

The Great Kroot has a crossbow.

jeffzcubfan
18-10-2012, 20:50
Yeah, disappointing about that. The early editions, especially Rogue Trader, would have base points and allow for a LARGE variety of weapons; bows, spears, etc being among them. They actually allowed for missions versus medievil planets and so had the weapon arsenal against. That's why the Realms of Chaos books were interchangeable as they tried to make the values in WHFB and WH40K jive.... yes... you could have had a 40k Chaos space marine land on the fantasy battlefield.

Jeff

zhu bajie
18-10-2012, 20:54
Just play WH40K:RT

System scales technology from Medieval up to High-Tech, rules for bows, leather armor up to displacement beams and powered armour.

Oh yeah, and beastmen are IG troop-type.

the_picto
18-10-2012, 21:01
Go with exodites. Watchers are pathfinders with wraithbone bows that shoot bolts of light, gladeguard as either guardians or direavengers, wardancers as harlequins, dryads as wraithguard, treeman as wraithlord and spellweavers as farseers. Say they still worship kuornos and use Orion as an avatar.

Lord Damocles
18-10-2012, 21:08
If you don't think this duo army is even possible, what other fantasy army do you think could pull it off besides the obvious Demons? Thanks for the help!
None of them particularly - at least not without fairly extensive conversion work (and re-basing), which kind of defeats the object.

Inquisitor Engel
18-10-2012, 21:23
Square bases on the majority of the models probably makes them fairly week (possibly against the rules?) in 40k. Base-to-base contact put them at a serious disadvantage most of the time anyway (corners suck).

Voss
18-10-2012, 21:37
Seeing as Exodites are 40k's Wood Elves just as Necrons are 40k's Tomb Kings just as Space Marines are 40k's Bretonnians (etc)

Followed analogy. Followed analogy. Logical error, program crash.

What?

Navar
18-10-2012, 21:39
They would look seriously out of place, although there was rules for a bow in the 2nd ed rulebook! Shame its abit out of date.

I don't know 24 inch range S 3 AP - Assault 1 and a special rule that says that any armor save of 4+ or better actually saves on a 2+.

It could work . . .

Firaxin
19-10-2012, 07:51

What?
Empire --> Imperial Guard; Bretonnians --> Space Marines. Bretonnians may not be the poster boys of Fantasy, but that doesn't mean they're not the Superheavy human Knights in Shining Armor faction. Some, like the Grail Knights, are even 'post-human.'

Why, what do you think the Space Marine equivalent is?

EvilFuzzyDoom
19-10-2012, 08:53
Longbow:
Rng 24" S User AP - Rapid Fire

Also no.

To expand: I think that for multiple reasons (mainly to do with base size and properly representing weaponry) it would be inappropriate to simply transfer ANY WFB army into 40k... Daemons being a weird exception due to them being specifically built for the purpose. I would personally not play against such an army.

That being said, there are many smexy bitz in the Wood Elf range and I'd love to see a specially-converted army using them. Dark Eldar, Daemons or Kroot Mercenaries (using the Armageddon detachment) would be my picks for a starting point.

OgreBattle
19-10-2012, 09:16

What?

yes, space marines are actually the Vampire Counts, a group of superhumans with incredibly strict selection process of taking mortals to join their ranks and a bulkwark of order against the forces of chaos.

EvilFuzzyDoom
19-10-2012, 12:18
yes, space marines are actually the Vampire Counts, a group of superhumans with incredibly strict selection process of taking mortals to join their ranks and a bulkwark of order against the forces of chaos.

Seems legit.

Aryllon
19-10-2012, 15:57
Er, obvious one would be greenskins. Specifically snakebites. Just make sure the 40k list & models eschew ranged weapons where possible, rely on melee weapons.

Boys with choppas = straight dual purpose
Black orcs = Nobz (I think there's a 40k 'eavy armour' option?)
Boar boys = warbikers (if your 40k warboss is on a boar / bike, I think these become troops - making up for your lack of trukks)
Doom diver = grot bomb
Snotling pump wagon = grot tank
Sneaky Gitz = Kommandos
Araknarok = Squiggoth
River Trolls = Killa Kanz
Giant or Mangler Squigs = Deff Dred
Rock Lobba = Lobba
Storm of Magic warpfire dragon = flamer flyer (I forget the name)

DarkVenom
03-03-2013, 12:25
Long ago an Exodite group stumbled upon a planet, they called it ทรีที่ดีเยี่ยม (Great Tree), this name was bestowed upon it on account to the tree like beings which inhabited it. The Eldar slowly changed their life to suit the forest, adapting powerful bows and toxins from the natural magical and poisonous reserves of the planet, developing runes to communicate with the trees and enlisting their help to defend against invaders. Although this Exodite group shunned society they maintain a sense of balance through a connection with the Great Tree, this connection is not without price however, as if the planet were to die the Exodites would die with it.

Play the army as Eldar:
Waywatchers and scouts = Ranger
Glade Guard = Dire avenger / Guardians
Dryads = Howling Banshees
ETC.

Could also be done as Dark Eldar using tree people as Haemonculi constructs, but such an army is quite hard to use with the current rules, esp. as making raiders to ride in could be a pain if you want them to blend in with the plot and be identifiable in size and shape to a fantasy and 40k equivalent.

I would however suggest using mostly conversions in order to make certain units, two way conversions of course (maybe flying dragon riding elves as wave serpents). This army could work and look amazing, but many opponents prefer to fight a similar army to that which they are used to.
If you can make it work I'd love to hear some battle reports, until then, good luck.
DarkVenom

ChaplainCharlie
03-03-2013, 13:02
I have Glade Rider-converted Rough Riders in my IG, but stand-alone? Yeah, maybe not.
Only option is DE with no-vehicle WWP list and all Wyches and Blood brides. Wracks also since dryads.

duffybear1988
03-03-2013, 13:05
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?360721-Eldar-Exodites

This may be similar to what you are looking for.

RandomThoughts
04-03-2013, 09:28
Just wanted to chip in and say that I use(d) Wood elf Wardancers instead of the (in my eyes) horrible Harlequin models. Black bodies, red garments, hair, etc, white face paint.

Menthak
04-03-2013, 12:55
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it, I'd say an Eldar Army, with bows being Catapults but maybe add some extra bits to bring it into the 41st M.
Use Eldar Codex. I'm doing my Malal Lasrats army using skaven, so I think your Wood Elves Army would be great. Plus if you go for an Exodite army you can do this conversion.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/a/a5/Exodite.jpg

In addition, if you decide to go through with this army post it! Would love to see what you do.

Malagor
04-03-2013, 13:07
I would say Eldar Exodites as well. They fit the look of more savage eldar.
As for bows in 40k, the Interex showed that bows with a splash of high-tech can pierce through power armor without problem so I see no issues with it.

Chem-Dog
04-03-2013, 17:17
Go Dark Eldar, limit your unit choice to vaguely analogous options.
Running from just what's presented on GW's Site....

Lords & Heroes.
Lords/Highborn to represent Archons and Succubi.
Mages as Haemonculi.

Core.
Dryads as Wracks.
Glade Guard as Kabalite Warriors (and possibly Trueborn).
Eternal Guard as Incubi.

Special.
Tree Kin as Grotesques.
Wardancers as Wyches/Bloodbrides.
Warhawk Riders as Hellions or Beastmasters

Rare.
Way Watchers as Mandrakes.
War Eagles/Great Eagle as Scourges.

As we're well and truly on the path of using miniatures as counters here it shouldn't be too hard of a stretch to use standards and musicians as markers to represent heavy/special weapons and what not.

If you're calling them Exodites, they're the Eldar who got out of dodge before things got too nasty, so it's reasonable to assume they took some of the powerful artefacts their race was famed for with them, so no real need to build heavy weapons anyway.

stroller
04-03-2013, 22:12
Sorry but for me: square base, round hole. Don't matter how much you hammer it boy it ain't never gonna fit.

That said, there are some great (Dark) Eldar conversions possible (like the Harlequins idea), but that's not what you were asking.