PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

still-young
14-10-2012, 20:01
Im a bit stuck atm, could do with some opinions guys.
Ive finally got a job, so can afford 40k again. But im a bit stuck, i dont know whether to get the new chaos book, or the forge world horus heresy book. Both look pretty good, and both are pretty expensive... I dont know what to do

Radium
14-10-2012, 20:08
Depends on what you want to do I guess. Do you want to build a new army (ie: Chaos or a Legion list)? Do you play at home with your mates or do you intend to play at a shop? Or do you just want a nice book?

If you want to build an army to play with regularly, I'd say Chaos. If you play with some mates that all want to go the 30k route: HH book. If you just want a nice book: definitely the HH book.

Endobai
14-10-2012, 20:15
Im a bit stuck atm, could do with some opinions guys.
Ive finally got a job, so can afford 40k again. But im a bit stuck, i dont know whether to get the new chaos book, or the forge world horus heresy book. Both look pretty good, and both are pretty expensive... I dont know what to do

When it comes to the HH...

My short summary here

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?354900-Anyone-with-Betrayal-book-help-a-guy-out

could help a bit.

And I really hate the CSM codex, but it surely will be more popular than the HH so if you want to be able to play with more people take it.

Endobai
14-10-2012, 20:16
double post...

still-young
14-10-2012, 20:42
Can i not use the heresy book in normal games?

Spiney Norman
14-10-2012, 21:02
Can i not use the heresy book in normal games?

It probably depends on your friends, but speaking personally there would only be so many times I'd want to fight Angron/Horus and co before I lost the will to play you. The impression I get is the HH armies will be great for fighting other armies made using the books lists but a bit too powerful for normal play.

And while the FW book is great for reinacting the heresy I personally would get a bit bored if that's all I ever played. Armies designed to play narrative scenarios are all fine and good, but I like to have a "general play" army.

still-young
14-10-2012, 21:10
That compounds the problem a bit.

None of my friends actually play so that doesnt really matter. I do want to play regularly (leaning me towards chaos...also the cheaper option...)

But i find my self (annoyingly) very drawn to the hh book...

hobojebus
14-10-2012, 21:23
Bare in mind that you cant really use the HH book to play against normal codex's they are not balanced to fight normal 40k armies, they are intended for use against other HH armies.

If you intend to do more than just horus heresy fights go for the chaos codex.

Endobai
14-10-2012, 21:24
It probably depends on your friends, but speaking personally there would only be so many times I'd want to fight Angron/Horus and co before I lost the will to play you. The impression I get is the HH armies will be great for fighting other armies made using the books lists but a bit too powerful for normal play.

And while the FW book is great for reinacting the heresy I personally would get a bit bored if that's all I ever played. Armies designed to play narrative scenarios are all fine and good, but I like to have a "general play" army.

Lords of War which are a separate, single slot are meant for Apocalypse... There is a campaign you can play, but really special characters are much less important than in 40k codexes.

Khorneguy
14-10-2012, 21:28
you can also use your Legion models with other codices, if you're smart with what models you build. For example I plan on using my Sons of Horus as Space Wolves or Chaos when my opponent doesn't want to face a Forge World army

still-young
14-10-2012, 21:33
I might do both, using a mixture of forgeworld models and chaos models, so i can use both books ... good idea? Is the forge world book worth 70? and on that point, the chaos one 30?

Sorry for all the questions

Khorneguy
14-10-2012, 21:43
I don't have it yet, by everyone's saying it's well worth it. The sheer variety of armies that can be made from it is staggering.

The Chaos book, I have it it, but I'm not so sure yet

Disciple of Caliban
14-10-2012, 22:01
The Chaos book, I have it it, but I'm not so sure yet

This should clinch it really. I do own the HH book and like everyone else i will say it is well worth the (admittedly large) sum of money. If people who own the chaos book dont know if its worth it then that says it all. I've never seen anyone who owns the HH book thats unsure. Even just a casual flick through is enough to make you know it was worth the price tag.

Now, whether the other HH books will be worth it is a trickier question since they wont contain the legion list that makes this book so great.

still-young
14-10-2012, 22:30
I have seen alot of people say the hh book is worth it, while theres alot of discussion about the chaos book still... I dont know :/ id like to play regularly which makes me think chaos...is the hh book worth it even if you dont play the list regularly?

Charistoph
15-10-2012, 00:06
Bare in mind that you cant really use the HH book to play against normal codex's they are not balanced to fight normal 40k armies, they are intended for use against other HH armies.

If you intend to do more than just horus heresy fights go for the chaos codex.

And you're wrong. "Can't" implies an impossibility. Admittedly, trying to get some one to play against a book they haven't read can be difficult in some areas/clubs/stores, while others itch at the chance. Complaining about balance is a poor statement where someone can play a codex as old as Black Templar or Tau against Grey Knights or Necron Flyers.

@OP: My suggestion is to ask your local group. They can give you a better idea as to how well the Heresy book will be received.

If you don't have a group identified, as yet, and won't have one soon, I would highly recommend going with the Chaos codex to start off with. It will be more easily accepted by any random group you come across and may play with. Once your Post-Heresy army is done, then begin expanding into the Heresy. If nothing else, people will go gaga over the models. :)

Chem-Dog
15-10-2012, 00:09
Is it worth pointing out that the armies featured in HH:Betrayal are, to all intents and purposes, Loyalist Astartes? Obviously in the setting some of the armies you can field are traitors, but they aren't Chaos Marines, not yet.
If you want to Emphasise Chaos, go with C:CSM, if you want to emphasise Marines go with HH:B.

From what I've read on the subject HH:B will favour fights that concentrate on recreating the epic battles of the Horus Heresy with lots of options which sound great if you're fielding 3000 points+, not something you're likely to be able to do any time soon, not if you're on a budget and not if you're gaming in stores or at clubs.
If you want to do a Legion army, start with the Space Marine Codex and approach HH:B when you have enough models to make it a viable option. There's plenty of summaries floating about that will allow you to steer your army building towards being M31 compliant and you won't hit any odd barriers with people not wanting to play FW armies.

still-young
15-10-2012, 08:04
So, start with chaos so i can game with it, and then later do a legion army? I may do that yeah :) cheers for the help guys