PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Questions

Goldenwolf
15-10-2012, 19:56
Gents,

I have not played much 6th Ed 40k, and have some questions after reading the codex, 6th ed rules, and FAQ.

(1). How do people model their Harpy? Is it a carnifex with wings? Is it a hive tyrant with wings?
(2). If a unit is characters now, can you split them up and let them lead other units? or do they still remain their own squad? or can the character squad join a regular squad?
(3). Do the Tyranids have any AA(Skyfire) guns besides FMC? Since we cant use Template weapons on flyers, are Heavy Venom Cannons out of vogue on FMC?
(4). How do you determine larger Weapon types? A certain weapon(I believe it is a Fleshborer) gets S6 on larger creatures. Would that count for anyone on a base larger than a 25mm base so that Warriors would get it? or is it only MC?
(5). I know there are lots of builds you can do with the Tyranids, but are there any combos that have proven particularly useful to people?

Thanking you in advance for any polite replies or discussion

harlekin
15-10-2012, 20:39
Hi,
I'll reply though I'm not to much a player and am probably not able to answer all your questions.

(1): I'm modelling mine based on the 3rd edition hivetyrant, utilizing bitz from trygon (the slim tail-part) and the lower body of a platic hive tyrant. I try to achieve a more unique look instead of a "carnifex with wings" look, but hey that's just me. But you'll be probably not off with the flying fex, I've seen some people using those.
(2): I don't know :angel:.
(3): As far as I know: nope. If the FAQ doesn't state anything else, of course (I believe it doesn't?). So the harpy is probably not so much antiflyer than (very annoying if flying) antiinfantry. Not sure if VC is viable in those cases.
(4): I guess you mean the devourer with brainleechwormthingies (in german it's plain "brainworms"...). The fleshborers are available for Termagants and Gargoyles (by default) and in form of the flesh-borer hive for the Tyrannofex. In the tyranid-tactica (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?344845-Tyranid-Tactica-6th-Edition) it's pretty much dismissed, afaik.
(5): I'd point to the tactica thread. If you think of unitcombos, psykers come to mind or the clever use of Tyranid Primes, with unitbuilds the Doubledevourer flyrant with endurance (by luck) is considered very usefull.

I hope this helps a bit.:)
Maybe some more expertised in gaming will look in here.

Bonzai
15-10-2012, 20:40
1. I did mine as flying ravagers right when the codex came out. However i have since heard that they are Trygon sized and go on a large flying base.
2. Only independant characters can join or leave units. So unless its a tyranid prime or the parasite, they are pretty much stuck in their unit.
3. The only decent anti air option is a winged tyrant with two sets of tl brain leech devourers. It has enough S6 shots to glance down a vendetta, and with biomancy it gets pretty durable.
4. Not sure that I understand the question. The entries provide the rules for the weapons.
5. This is a big discussion, but in 6th edition i have mostly seen biomancy spam being the most effective. Flying tyrants, tervigons, etc... Also, devourer carnifex broods with tyranid primes for wound allowcation tends to be a suprisingly durable and well rounded unit.

IrishDelinquent
15-10-2012, 21:48
(1). How do people model their Harpy? Is it a carnifex with wings? Is it a hive tyrant with wings?

I've seen several featuring a tyrant body with Trygon tail that look pretty good. Or even could do tyrant wing, fex body, and green stuff tail. The good thing about a unit without a model is you're free to interpret.

(2). If a unit is characters now, can you split them up and let them lead other units? or do they still remain their own squad? or can the character squad join a regular squad?

I take it you mean the Tyrant joining guard? Question is a little confusing. If it is the question involving the Tyrant, it cannot join another unit, aside from the Guard which it can join when deploying. Also note that the Tyrant can't leave the Guard once he joins them.

(3). Do the Tyranids have any AA(Skyfire) guns besides FMC? Since we cant use Template weapons on flyers, are Heavy Venom Cannons out of vogue on FMC?

Unfortunately, no Skyfire weapons in the list. Heavy Venom Cannons aren't able to shoot them down, but we still have options; Tyrannofexes have the Rupture cannon for heavy flyers, or the Devourer hive can burst down AV 10-11. Also, Hive Guard can still scare flyers, since they can't jink against the Impaler cannon. And, Dakkafexes are BACK BABY! 2 Twin-linked Devourers scare pretty much everything except the flying Land Raider.

(4). How do you determine larger Weapon types? A certain weapon(I believe it is a Fleshborer) gets S6 on larger creatures. Would that count for anyone on a base larger than a 25mm base so that Warriors would get it? or is it only MC?

Don't have the codex in front of me, but i believe the models that get the different type of worms are listed in the wargear options. Normally it will say "Devourer with Brainleech Worms"....or something like that. Otherwise, it's just the standard ammo profile.

(5). I know there are lots of builds you can do with the Tyranids, but are there any combos that have proven particularly useful to people?

This is kind of a tricky question, as it depends on several factors; playstyle, budget, models owned, even your local meta can change everything. More often, the question is what units work in the Tyranid book. I recommend finding a unit that you like, and then building off of that. If it's more the competitive route you're looking to go, Hive Guard, Tervigons/gaunt swarms, and Flyrants seem to be popular options, while Genestealers have taken a bit of a hit.

Threeshades
16-10-2012, 09:34
Gents,

I have not played much 6th Ed 40k, and have some questions after reading the codex, 6th ed rules, and FAQ.

Thanking you in advance for any polite replies or discussion

1) I used a carnifex with a bit of a trygon tail, a 3ed tyrant head and balrog wings i had left from a tervigon conversion: Pics (http://album.warpshadow.com/v/HiveFleetIchneumon/FastAttack/Harpy/)

2) No, only if they also have the independent character special rule.

3) no unfortunately the only thing we have that can reliably fire at fliers are the stinger salvo of the harpy and otherwise only winged hive tyrants.

4) This doesn't exist anymore. Ever tyranid un has a fixed profile now, there are larger versions for monstrous creatures of some weapons though, like stranglethorn cannon, heavy venom cannon or devourer with brain leech worms, but the size/profile of the creature doesn't influence the weapon's profile directly anymore.

5) There really aren't that many builds with nids that actually work in a competitive environment unfortunately. Tervigons, termagants, hive guard and winged tyrants seem to be the current cream of the crowd. Even genestealers have taken a nerf since 6th ed.