PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of the Dark Gods, how would you define their play-style?

Ealdwulf
16-10-2012, 15:16
Having been in the hobby a long while I can only count a handful of times that I've played a Warriors of Chaos (or some earlier pre-split variant), and while I can surmise the army is mostly close combat oriented I was curious to know how Chaos generals would define their strengths and weaknesses?

I realize this is likely to change very soon, but I doubt the overall feel of the army (tactically speaking) will shift drastically.

Can you still tailor the army to different gods like back in the old days? Or is that largely gone?

logan054
16-10-2012, 16:29
They are rather boring to play at the moment, I think we are all waiting to see if this rumoured WD update happens and what it contains, I love the models but its just so bland.

Ealdwulf
16-10-2012, 16:40
They are rather boring to play at the moment, I think we are all waiting to see if this rumoured WD update happens and what it contains, I love the models but its just so bland.'

That was sort of my impression thumbing through the Armybook. Seemed to have very little tactical variety. They look to be in desperate need of a model update for a few key units. Like I would have a hard time fielding dragon ogres regardless of their rules based upon how terrible the models look.

They have some nice looking models, but also some really bad ones.

Do they have any kind of ranged component other than magic and the hellcannon?

logan054
16-10-2012, 16:47
Chaos has never really had a masive amount of rank, thats what you lose for having some of the best core troops in the games, not a fan of the dragon ogres myself, if they looked more like the shaggoth they would be amazing, I believe they are getting redone, rumour is next month, however they models are said to be pretty terrible, you do have things like WF skinwolves you can as count as MI type units.

The thing with the army now its a converters dream with all the mutations and what not, I personally hate the current marauders but I have the old metal ones which are much nicer, I still like the chaos warriors, even if they are pretty limited pose wise (atleast they rank up!)

Ealdwulf
16-10-2012, 16:57
Most definitely agree on Shaggoth. That model is bad-ass.

I wonder if they'll re-do the marauders. Personally I think it would be cool if they focused more on the tribal aspect of some of the Norsca followers of Chaos.

logan054
16-10-2012, 18:45
I'm sure they will redo them in time, I doubt they will get done straight away, its seems they are more concerned with converting models to plastic than updating crappy old plastic kits, still some people like the conan look, if I was to do a new unit of marauders I would base them on the flagellants, very easy to convert.

Shaggoth is one of my favorite models, I actually have two :)

TheDungen
16-10-2012, 20:28
the problem is that chaos used to be one army so they used to have the most choices in the game then they got separated and a third of chat chaos used to have is less than most armies have. i still say they should go back to the old hordes of chaos system.

Ealdwulf
16-10-2012, 21:49
the problem is that chaos used to be one army so they used to have the most choices in the game then they got separated and a third of chat chaos used to have is less than most armies have. i still say they should go back to the old hordes of chaos system.

THIS is how I remembered them. While I was stoked at the time that Beastmen would be their own army, I still feel that making demons split off wasn't the best choice. I'm sure an argument can be made either way. Now instead of 1 really robust army, it seems like you have 3 fairly "streamlined" (read as stripped down) armies.

Milan
16-10-2012, 22:21
Totally agree with the "stripped down" feel the armies of Chaos have these days. In my eyes the inter-compatibility between the Hordes of Chaos offered the opportunity to personalize your army.

I for one really liked the tribal theme of a Marauder, Beastmen army with a few Warriors as hardcore elites.

Ealdwulf
16-10-2012, 22:31
Totally agree with the "stripped down" feel the armies of Chaos have these days. In my eyes the inter-compatibility between the Hordes of Chaos offered the opportunity to personalize your army.

I for one really liked the tribal theme of a Marauder, Beastmen army with a few Warriors as hardcore elites.

Right, I think that's a badass ideas. I mean fluff-wise I can totally see them all covorting together, so this idea that daemons would not work with warriors and beast I just don't buy.

woodster17
16-10-2012, 22:40
I really like the concept of a pure Beastman force, GW really delved in to the dark hidden monster idea with various models such as the Cygor, Jabberslythe etc... Whether you liked the rules/models or not, the idea was a good one. Lets face it, there is never going to be massive Warriors of Chaos or chosen of Chaos in the conventional sense roaming around the Drakwald with the other beasts. However, I do prefer the idea of a Horde of Chaos as opposed to the rather bland monotone Chaos forces you see nowadays. Lots of Chaos incursions in the fluff that I recall (at least in the BL novels) are is heralded by a vanguard of beasts before the more elite troops turn up. At least in sieges the beast are primarily used as fodder. It would be nice to see more variety in the Chaos horde. If GW still want to digress between the mix and match Chaos armies (which were cool) then hopefully we'll see a little more variety in the upcoming rumoured book.

I also felt slightly agrieved with the removal of Khorngor and Pestigor. Enjoyed those models. The contemporary Beasts feel slightly removed from Chaos and have more of a filthy mythological Greek feel.

logan054
17-10-2012, 00:24
Right, I think that's a badass ideas. I mean fluff-wise I can totally see them all covorting together, so this idea that daemons would not work with warriors and beast I just don't buy.

If you want a combined list, you can always use the FW rules to combine them, its a really cool book. Its a shame you need that book to play the army the way many of us remember, but thats GW for you sadly. I am hoping the new jugger knights makeup some what for what was lost, the sound cool anyways :)

m1acca1551
17-10-2012, 03:13
Yeah afetrthe CSM release im starting to get worried about the new mini's. Not that the CSM release was that bad, but after we have had some amazing army books VC/OK/EM etc i just hope they continue the good work.

WoC are a very 1 dimensional army, i hope that this does change as the inner tactician in me will smile, other wise the axe wielding lunatic wins again :P

I use beastemen to proxy marauders in my khorne army, i just love the animalistic and brutal style that are beastmen.