PDA

View Full Version : rant about a loss

judaism
19-10-2012, 06:41
Hey guys. My WoC 2K army died vs ogres tonight when in turn 5 my Lord and BSB on juggernauts failed to run down separate infantry units and setup a perfect ogre chariot cannonball through both of them. Lord and BSB failed all their ward/regen saves throughout the game. Anyone else want to get a quick rant in on a recent game? Next time you filthy ogres, next time.

Lance Tankmen
19-10-2012, 06:50
i was using my lord on juggernaut in a 1v1v1 at 1.5k and decided the runesmith with only a +4 AS in a unit of 10 thunders needed to lose his head plus easy EotG roll to help vs the vamps, well i moved into postion, failed my charm shield againest the cannon ball and took two wounds, survive 10 shots, next turn fail stupid from helm of many eyes, die by 10 dwarf gunmen....next time bronzebooze next time your head is mine!!!

thesoundofmusica
19-10-2012, 07:00
My Beastlord was tied up in a challenge with an Exalted Champion. I wasnt too worried, I was going first (he had a great weapon) and had plenty of attacks and his champion was on 1 wound from previous rounds. I fail all my attacks even with primal fury, the Exalted Champion then beats my Beastlord to a pulp and the following failed break test breaks my battle line and I never recover of course.

Kargraz
19-10-2012, 08:20
Played dwarfs vs ogres in a small 2000pt battle couple of days ago, went really well up until my 4th turn, I failed miserably and blew up 2 organ guns, 1 catapult and 1 cannon went out of action for 2 turns...
In his turn 4 he charged my block of 50 warriors with one of his units, did 35 wounds total (damned impact hits and breath weapon banners), I lost steadfast and that pretty much lost me the battle...

Evil Hypnotist
19-10-2012, 08:35
Daemons v Orcs and Goblins. Spent 2 days assembling an Exalted Seeker Chariot and it lasted one turn thanks to a squig and some bow fire. On the other side of the table my Bloodletters were hit by Itchy Nuscience, with a 5 rolled so they could only march 2" and when that went I charged his Black Orcs to find fanatics coming out of his nearby Night Goblins so they had to stop again, then they got charged with the Black Orcs and an Arachnarok with Itchy Nuscience and another spell that made me re-roll 6's i.e. my Killing Blow rolls! I was completely out-manouvered and out played by a much better general, which is what was so annoying! :P

SimaoSegunda
19-10-2012, 12:07
Evil Hypnotist, why did they have to stop? Did you fail to roll the charge distance? Because otherwise, you must complete the charge once the fanatics have deployed.

judaism
19-10-2012, 14:39
Well this at least makes me feel a little bit better. 4 misfires in one turn sounds horrible!

Blinder
19-10-2012, 15:29
2k game with a Bret list I put *way* too many points of Wizard into against WoC. Turn 1, L4 Life (who rolled flesh/stone, regrowth, dwellers, and... awakening of the wood) decides to try and whittle down one of the blocks of warriors, so for some stupid reason I throw 5 dice at dwellers thinking "well, if I miscast I should still have a turn to regrow some knights." Instead she goes for a vacation in the sunny Wastelands, taking 5 knights with her.

At least I have some dice for my L2 to use. Try to curse the same unit (went with beasts for her), dispelled. Hmm, two dice left, well, I'm pretty sure the M@A are safe from a charge but they *ARE* sitting in the woods, I'll just try to wildform them, not like failing to cast will matter.

Oh. Boxcars. Lose 3 of my 2 levels.

Later on, a bunch of knights errant (5 of 12. 4 lost to a big "flickering flame" that got through. 3 lost to a scree slope...) join in a grind-fest to try and finish off that same block of warriors... only 3 can attack (it's literally the champion and BSB at this point, though his General is also there on a flank... at one point there were 7 units involved), 2 hits at S6... yeah...

The game was fun (if a lost cause pretty early) and I don't know that having my casters would really have done much (though it certainly would have helped to have some of the buffs and the occasional regrown knight), but good lord did it feel like my dice were making up for the stupidly good rolls they were putting out in a 40k game the day before.

Malorian
19-10-2012, 15:46
I had a big game lined up between me and another highly competitive player. Both of us have been kicking butt in the gaming group and we were finally going to throw down against each other.

There is a massive build up, the armies are deployed, and then I get first turn... miscast on a 3 dice spell... sucked into the warp...

So all at once I lost my general and my lvl 4, and since this was vampire counts the rest of my army started to crumble.

We could have had a rematch, but my opponent didn't want one and was happy with the win.

Wow... that sucked...

judaism
19-10-2012, 16:00
Yeah those two last examples were the reason I went Khorne lords, who ate a heavy iron diet that day. Adding crumble on top is insult to injury! Yuck

Anopheles
19-10-2012, 16:34
My Skaven suffered a terrible turn of malfunctions and misfires (or as we joked at the time, widespread sabotage). Warpfire runs around on fire then explodes in clanrats, Mortar fires into middle of my Stormvermin, warp lightning cannon explodes, and both engineers either miscast or simply fail to get any spells off. Oh and the jezzails misfire, killing one of their number and panicking off the table. Hundreds of points lost or wasted... Clan Skyre treachery!

GenerationTerrorist
19-10-2012, 22:52
My biggest ever fail was just after the Orcs and Goblins army book was released.
In a 3000pt game, my High Elf Lord (Great Weapon, Shield, Heavy Armour, Dragon Helm, Vambraces of Defence, Crown of Command) on Star Dragon charged a horde of Night Goblin Spearmen.
My opponent issued a challenge with his NG BSB (Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield) which I had to accept.

Lord and Dragon (including Thunderstomp) fail to cause a single wound. He also fails to wound.
I lose the combat due to Rank Bonus, Standard, BSB. Never mind, Crown of Command will save me....Until I roll 11 on 2D6.
Flee 6 inches. Pursued, caught, 600+pts down the drain.
Bugger.

judaism
20-10-2012, 03:45
lol @ the Star Dragon.. thats pretty heavy stuff! Hopefully in tomorrow's big team battle I will be able to give someone else's army a sob story to post!

GrandmasterWang
22-10-2012, 01:51
My elite 16 pt dwarf rangers. 30 of them with full command... 505 pts worth charge at a varghulf. Manage to only do 2 wounds despite the horde formation. End up losing combat, failing my stubborm rerollable ld test and being run down by the 175 pt varghulf. Not a good day for the 16 pointas. 505 pts down the drain with only 2 wounds to show for it.

Same game my 16 thunderers with full command lost combat to a regiment of 11 skeletons(did 2 wounds, dwarfs did none), broke and were run down. Neither of us could believe it. First game ever that the skeletons (originally 20) have actually accomplished anything. Flawless victory also.

Kalandros
22-10-2012, 06:35
Thats what happens in dice games ;o

Evil Hypnotist
22-10-2012, 07:52
Evil Hypnotist, why did they have to stop? Did you fail to roll the charge distance? Because otherwise, you must complete the charge once the fanatics have deployed.

My opponent told me to stop the charging unit 8 inches away and he released them towards it, neither managing to get in contact. Looks like he was misinformed, cheers for letting me know, I will make sure we do it properly next time!

Lord Solar Plexus
22-10-2012, 12:29
Not really a rant as such...last game, I was behind by 300 or so points so decided I had to do something. Charged 35 Greatswords + BSB into 35 Plague Monks with Furnace on turn 5. I knew he had loads of attacks but hey, he cannot kill the whole unit, right?

That whole lot turned out to be 52 attacks with re-rolls to hit and to wound + 4 S6 from the priest + 9 T tests with no AS...and yes, he COULD kill all 35 GS in just two rounds. Of course it didn't help that I was T2 and he later had poisoned attacks either...

BooMeRLiNSKi
22-10-2012, 13:17
My opponent told me to stop the charging unit 8 inches away and he released them towards it, neither managing to get in contact. Looks like he was misinformed, cheers for letting me know, I will make sure we do it properly next time!

If memory serves this is correct, you stop 8 inches away and he releases his fanatics if any hit you you resolve the hits, you then have to complete your charge hitting any fanatics on the way in killing them whilst you take 2d6 st5 ap hits per fanatic you charge over.

Evil Hypnotist
22-10-2012, 14:06
If memory serves this is correct, you stop 8 inches away and he releases his fanatics if any hit you you resolve the hits, you then have to complete your charge hitting any fanatics on the way in killing them whilst you take 2d6 st5 ap hits per fanatic you charge over.

Cheers, this sounds more logical than letting my guys stop mid-charge. It kinda helped because I avoided the fanatic hits but didn't because I really needed my Bloodletters in combat. Pesky Greenskins!

Daniel36
22-10-2012, 14:09
We have a new player in our club, who decided to play Chaos Warriors. He decided to go to the internet for an army list, and now has a nicely painted Khorne army led by the Tzeentch Sorceror Lord on Disc of Cheese combo. He hasn't lost a single game. I sincerely hope he decides to leave the combo at home from now on, because it is zero fun to play against.

Xerkics
22-10-2012, 15:39
We have a new player in our club, who decided to play Chaos Warriors. He decided to go to the internet for an army list, and now has a nicely painted Khorne army led by the Tzeentch Sorceror Lord on Disc of Cheese combo. He hasn't lost a single game. I sincerely hope he decides to leave the combo at home from now on, because it is zero fun to play against.

That could be said of multiple armies for all you know your just as bad. People should be able to play what they want.
My most annoying moment in Fantasy was when my chaos lord on a dragon charged a unit of skaven like 1/8 his cost. Got challenged by a champion killed the champion. Lost to combat res due to ranks and lost ld roll and got run over.

WizzyWarlock
23-10-2012, 20:46
At a recent tournament I was playing against Tomb Kings. His Turn 6 and it's looking fairly close, I just need to shoot off a few more of the remaining skeleton units while my big hitters deal with the other stuff. So he charges the back of my 20 Glade Guard with a scorpion and I figure I'd rather run than maybe end up losing the points. Worst. Plan. Ever. If I'd thought about it for three seconds longer I would never have done it. The Glade Guard flee, the remaining Skeleton unit in front charge them causing them to flee back again, two single skeletons now on the flank also charge and catch them, wiping them out. My second unit of 20 Glade Guard standing nearby panic at the sight of this and run, and are then charged by a distant chariot who's just in range, causing them to flee off the board.

I could only stare at the aftermath in horror..

Grey Seer Kwokka
24-10-2012, 04:04
My most annoying moment in Fantasy was when my chaos lord on a dragon charged a unit of skaven like 1/8 his cost. Got challenged by a champion killed the champion. Lost to combat res due to ranks and lost ld roll and got run over.

Call me crazy, but it doesn't seem very smart charging Skaven chaff with such a sauced up unit? Or am I missing something here?

Gromdal
24-10-2012, 12:21
Ahhh way back I fought a 2k game vs HE with my dwarfs. My primary unit was a hammerer unit with my lord and bsb (10 ld rerollable stubborn). Fought some elves lost the combat by 1 or 2 points, failed the ld test rolling 12, rolled again and got 11. They were caught and all killed. My lord and unit was fully tooled up to be the hardest anvil ever. I destroyed the model of the lord. What a complete coward. He ran from a few elves UNWOUNDED. Book of grudges!!

Calathean
24-10-2012, 13:52
My worst defeat was in huge game as part of a campaign at my local GW. It was 4 x 2000 Point armies on each side of the board. Ogres on our right flank and Lizardmen on our left. In the centre with me was an Empire Gunline all spread out like rubbish cheese spread on too much toast. I had a sexy unit of White Lions immune to magic, with Teclis and BSB. So this is over 1200 Points of lovely. Captain Gunline gets charged by a unit Chaos Warhounds who have pulled off a stupid charge of crazyness, in his wisdom Captain Gunline decided I know I am going to flee!!! You're going to flee? Why you have guns? Shoot them you fool!! Nope i'm gonna flee. So he flees. Oh look Captain Gunline you rolled a double 1!!! Oh wait your unit has been wiped out? Its ok i'm leadership 10 re-rollable. I snort with derision at you Captain Gunline! Cowardly Humans. What's this an 11...Hmm i'll be fine...12?????? Gah! Away runs Teclis and the Phoenix King's Bodyguard!! The bodyguard of the King of Elves runs away because of some wimpy goofballs in funny hats!!!! Oop there go the Sea Guard, off they go!!! Nooooooooo...Well atleast Teclis didn't die I guess.

logan054
25-10-2012, 19:11
Well I thought I would share my experience of someone ranting. Basically I went into gw today when I finished work. This guy, who looks like a strategically shaved wookie started ranting at me because I'm a hex. I reminded my mate he had a spell cast. Now because this guy charged a t8 unit with his ogres, it's all my fault because I am some kind of voodoo priest sucking all his luck away... He demanded I not be allowed in the shop.

Lordcypress
25-10-2012, 19:39
This is a famous story throughout my gaming area. Back in the very beginning of the 6th edition I use to play Empire. I had 4 Great Cannons and a Helblaster explode the very first turn of the game. 5 pieces of artillary gone first turn of the game. Ahh good memories...........

Ghremdal
25-10-2012, 20:28
I was playing against WoC, and after he took first turn I had my magic phase. Rolled something like 8 dice + 1 channel and he had 4 dispel dice. At the time had only a lvl 4 orc shaman.

So I decide to go for a 'Eadbutt on 3 dice (a 9+spell) at his lord just to draw out some dispel dice so I can stomp later, and I fail to get it off.

In the next turn on the opponents magic phase he gets off pandemonium, and then his hellcannon hits my NG unit where the Orc Shaman is. It scatters but manages to get one goblin, who dies and provokes a panic check. Even with the BSB in the unit, they fail their panic and roll high enough to run off the board. The game swiftly went further downhill from there.

Well at least I learned the power of pandemonium, and now put my shaman in a ItP unit.

popisdead
25-10-2012, 20:57
I played Skaven last Fantasy game :cries:

Kayosiv
25-10-2012, 22:52
I played Skaven last Fantasy game :cries:

This is my last loss against a frequent skaven opponent. The loss stings all the more because I thought like things were going my way.

My opponent poorly placed one of his weapon teams, allowing me to charge a BSB scar veteran mounted on a cold one into it. I defeat it, run it down, and roll high enough to overrun into his grey seer's bunker unit, which is only 10 rats strong. I think I've got the game in the bag, his grey seer was delivered to me on a platter. I'd learned earlier that the grey seer didn't even have a ward save.

Well, it didn't work out that way. On the skaven player's turn, the grey seer threw 6 dice at pestilent breath because it was the only spell he could cast in combat. I threw my 6 dispel dice in an attempt to stop it but ended up just short. He gets 4 hits, rolls two 6's, I fail both of my ward saves and my scar veteran goes down. The grey seer then uses his power scroll, eats 3 warpstone tokens, and casts dreaded 13th on my Slann, turning him into a clanrat.

With an ensured victory the previous turn transformed into me losing my general and my BSB in a single magic phase (over 600 points in a 2500 point game) things went decidedly downhill from there. I didn't even manage to kill the grey seer by the end of the game and ended up being nearly tabled, losing by points by like 500 to 2200.

Awilla the Hun
26-10-2012, 12:50
I lost a game last June. It was entirely my fault. My tactical errors in the placement of the Proletariat Leadership Committee, and my failure to adequately guard my flanks, resulted in me being crushed by a Mournfang charge into the side of my infantry. I also forgot that his Ironguts were stubborn, which meant that my attempted envelopment failed. But I almost had him.