Tinweasel
14-05-2006, 00:41
The primed mini:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/chaos_wizard_pre.jpg

The basecoated metal:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/chaos_wizard1.jpg

IG88
14-05-2006, 03:43
That mini is sweet. Where'd you get it? What's it being painted for?

devolutionary
14-05-2006, 04:13
That would work beautifully with either Tzeentch or Slaneesh. Look, they've even put boobie markers for Slaneesh ;) Look forward to this, it's a very nice model.

Festus
14-05-2006, 10:22
Hi

That would work beautifully with either Tzeentch or Slaneesh. Look, they've even put boobie markers for Slaneesh.
Looking at the shape and decoration of the horns, I'd say it definitely is a Tzeentchian Sorcerer...

Greetings
Festus

devolutionary
14-05-2006, 10:29
Hi

Looking at the shape and decoration of the horns, I'd say it definitely is a Tzeentchian Sorcerer...

Greetings
Festus

See, I saw those, the face, the armour, and the staff end as very Slaneeshi. The horn are reminiscent of daemonettes, the face would make a great two tone joker style face, and with the current armour? It's look real nice. However, speculation is irrelevant. It could be undivided for all we know ;)

bruenor
14-05-2006, 10:30
Looking cool already.

I had that one when I was younger and chopped it up to make a Blood Bowl player for my Chaos team.
You can still buy it now tho':

Slagroth Vile Staff
(http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=73142/5&orignav=301116)

If I remember rightly, most of the pics he was shown in, white dwarf wise, were Tzeenech paint schemes.

Tinweasel
14-05-2006, 14:07
Primarily being painted for a "metallics painting challenge" over on the Relic Forums, other than that - no particular reason aside from I've had the figure for about 15-16 years and dug him out of a box in the basement. I know he was a Warhammer Wizard, and that's about it... the fact that he's Slagroth Vile staff? Dunno, I think I liked him better concept-wise before he had a name.

I'll have to have a look through my old White Dwarf magazines. I don't remember seeing him painted, but Tzeentch sounds about right. At this point I'm likely going to run with dark blue weathered up to pale blue for the cloak, tie in some sickly yellow/mustard in somewhere as a complimentary color, and as for the rest... I'm kinda undecided on how to paint the figure at the top of the staff. It essentially looks like an imp or something that's been tied to it, but it's a solid piece with no ropes or fastenings when seen from the back - all I know is that I'd rather not paint it in flesh tones. 8^)

tzeentchgiant
14-05-2006, 15:02
He looks great, when I see old-sholl minis painted up so well I'm always very tempted to buy one, or a whole bunch for my army. Curse you, my wallet grows ever lighter *shakes fist.*

TG

Hawkmoon
14-05-2006, 15:09
Looking good so far Tin.

I love those old Chaos minis. Every single one had its own name and little background story. Which makes sense considering the old warbands rules from the Chaos books revolved around individual personalites. Much cooler than the stock heroes they churn out nowadays.

Finnblood
14-05-2006, 18:24
Wow, this dude's awesome! Can't wait to see it finished!

The boyz
14-05-2006, 22:21
Looking good so far Tinweasel. I am really liking the purple armour. looking forward to seeing some more updates.

Tinweasel
15-05-2006, 13:12
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/chaos_wizard2.jpg

Comments, criticisms, and suggestions appreciated!

tzeentchgiant
15-05-2006, 13:19
Are you just painting this with washes? It's not to my tastes, but very wlel painted none the less.

TG

Reign in Blood
15-05-2006, 13:24
Do you mix your colours or do they come like that? If you mix them how do you get the metalic so that it doesn't seperate from the other colour as much and is fuller over the surface? I am having trouble doing that but with green..mine still looks ok but it isn't good without some form of varnish for very long.

bruenor
15-05-2006, 15:10
Coloured metallics are easy peesy, just paint it with silvers as normal, then wash over it with thinned inks, depending on how deep you want the colour to be.
I'm liking how this ones turning out, waiting for more now.....

Reign in Blood
15-05-2006, 15:30
Coloured metallics are easy peesy, just paint it with silvers as normal, then wash over it with thinned inks, depending on how deep you want the colour to be.
I'm liking how this ones turning out, waiting for more now.....

Hey thanks mate..I will have to go get some inks. Thanks again

tzeentchgiant
15-05-2006, 17:44
I'm liking how this ones turning out, waiting for more now.....I've had success mixing plain colours with silver or golds. You just need to watch out which you mix with each other.

Silver goes well with blues and purples, golds work well with just about anything else. Depending on what you're going for green works with either.

TG

L-Train
15-05-2006, 20:21
I love those old chaos models... when I was a kid they were always at the back of the magazine...

bruenor
15-05-2006, 21:16
I still own one of the metallics that GW offically produced, the blue one, and the separates in the tub, and has to be really well shook before use.

Broken Fang
16-05-2006, 07:57
What about something like this for the figure on the staff?
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/205

-Ed
16-05-2006, 09:49
Do you mix your colours or do they come like that? If you mix them how do you get the metalic so that it doesn't seperate from the other colour as much and is fuller over the surface? I am having trouble doing that but with green..mine still looks ok but it isn't good without some form of varnish for very long.

It looks like Amethyst Purple, you can pick it up from Coat d'arms.

Tinweasel
16-05-2006, 14:07
What about something like this for the figure on the staff?
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/205Seen that tutorial before, and it sounds like an excellent idea. The surfaces on the little totem guy aren't nearly as broad as on the one in the article, so should be a little easier to make "gem"-like if more of a pain to smoothly blend.

So far as the purple armor, the basecoat was essentially a mixture of some old Citadel colors I've got from way back when - I'm thinking Fire Dragon Crimson and Worm Purple (Imperial Purple maybe?) I'm pretty sure it was 1:1:1 Crimson/Purple/GW Silver. I then added a few drops of GW Purple Ink to the mix to keep the metallic content, thinned it down to the consistency of a wash, and layered a few coats of that, with lining-in of the deepest crevices. The highlights were a mixture of Crimson/Silver, with a drop of VGC Metallic medium for the edges. I'd have to second the suggestion that mixing of metals and Inks for coloration is a good idea.

As to the figure so far, no, he's not been painted with successive washes - although that sounds like an interesting idea. The color of the sleeves in the most recent pic was the basecoat for the robes, and I worked up from there to the current "bleached" blue color.

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions thus far! Haven't had time since the weekend to do more work, but I'll be getting back to him shortly I'm hoping.

Tinweasel
20-05-2006, 21:42
Well, I'm kinda at a loss as to where to go from here. I was thinking that a pale yellow for the face, belt pouches, and staff icon would look good, but just from basecoating I'm very undecided about things and was hoping for some feedback.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/chaos_wizard3.jpg

The cloak, horns, and scroll are done - the sleeves mostly so. I was thinking blackish-brown for the hair, staff, and right shoulder medallion (poss. with a Tzeentch symbol if I've got the time.)

Steel_Legion
21-05-2006, 02:22
personally i think the yellow wont fit the model, the skin should be a light/pale/half dead colour i think, and the staff head metal of some form? or a contrasting colour to the rest of the model, thats just a suggestion though
p.s. armour and robes look great

Tinweasel
21-05-2006, 08:04
For the sake of time constraints, I kept with the same colors and tried to make the best of 'em. Now that the painting challenge I started him for is over, I'd like to round things out and get the best possible finish out of the figure that I can. Any opinions on the yellow? That's one area where I'm very ambivalent and I'd like some feedback.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard.jpg

Suggestions and comments would be much appreciated! I know nothing about Warhammer Fantasy aside from the fluff out of White Dwarf from about roughly 14 years ago.

Orcdom
22-05-2006, 01:58
looks pretty good
Steve

Tinweasel
06-06-2007, 06:08
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_wip.jpg
I started back working on this guy after a long hiatus - there's a painting competition coming up at my local GW Hobby Center and I don't really have a lot of Warhammer Fantasy figures.

I'm kinda stuck on what color to paint the medallion hanging from his staff, likewise not being a WFB player I'm not sure whether I should be putting particular symbols on the medallions/robes/etc. as the original figure was released as a Chaos Sorceror of Slaanesh although it's apparently available still through GW Direct Order as a named "generic" Fantasy Wizard.

I've basically been painting him up to a Slaanesh/Tzeentch paint scheme all along, hence the mask painted yellow and the totem on his staff in a color to match. I was originally considering painting the figure on the staff in a metallic color until I noticed the wooden spacing between the metal band on the staff and the figure itself - I thought it'd be a little awkward and creepy painting the figure life-like, so I simply settled on a bright, Chaos God-neutral color.

I've lightened the armor a bit, so the highlights actually are metallic pink now, which I don't think make the original metallic purple look awkward at all, and I've brought up the highlights on just about everything but the bronze/brass metallics.

Suggestions on how to approach finishing the figure would be greatly appreciated...

Melchiah
06-06-2007, 06:12
thats a sweet little mini.

Kamizanate
07-06-2007, 04:46
That model is totally sweet...

Tinweasel
09-06-2007, 09:12
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_wip2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_wip3.jpg

Here's the most recent progress - everything's just about finished, except for the base and maybe a few touch-ups here and there. I haven't painted any runes on the "medallions" yet as I've no knowledge of WFB fluff and wouldn't know what to put on 'em (although a Chaos God symbol is kinda obligatory, probably).

There's not really more shading on the front as compared to the back, but it looks that way as the whole figure leans forwards at a slight angle.

Constructive criticisms and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BattleofLund
09-06-2007, 09:52
Aww man... you bent his horn. Now he's gonna be mad at you...

The colors look nice, I think. Since you're not painting him for an army (right?) I wouldn't change anything about the scheme.

As for symbols, some freehand bording on his dress would look nice and emphasize the more 'academic' nature of a sorcerer. Runes on his armour, suitably subdued, would help make it seem magical. The amulets on his horn and staff should definitely have at least a rune each: fish-flame thingy for Tzeentch, male/female mixed symbol for Slaanesh, or just the classic eight-pointed star for Chaos Undivided. Variations, but not a mixture between'em.

Thumbs up! Now get painting some runes/symbols!

Tinweasel
09-06-2007, 13:04
Aww man... you bent his horn. Now he's gonna be mad at you...Actually, he's been jumping out of my hands at every opportunity the past couple days - I think he's either actively trying to get away or do himself some serious harm. I think maybe 3-4 times now he's fallen when by rights he shouldn't have(?) and yeah, his horn got bent, his robes got scuffed a little - no loss of paint, though, thank whatever deity he's been praying to. I already bent it back a bit, I guess it needs to be straighter.

I'm going to have him squaring off against a Treeman which he's set on fire (ideally) and I know nothing about WFB other than this guy was originally a Chaos Sorceror of Slaanesh. Now on my usual Forums, everyone seems to be leaning towards him being a follower of Tzeentch. Which would be most appropriate (or both, as in Undivided) in terms of him setting something on fire - I'm thinking not Slaanesh?

Arhalien
09-06-2007, 13:21
Fantastic painting on a very good mini; great work :D

Snotteef
09-06-2007, 17:39
Tzeentch actually specializes in flames. He has a couple of fire spells, however, they are not normal fires, but magical fires. As long as you do the fire in a magical blue or green, then Tzeentch would be ideal.

Tinweasel
15-06-2007, 07:47
Many thanks for the answer to the question - that kinda determines modeling options on his enemy.

I said "what the hell" and decided to have some fun tonight, taking a stab at some NMM-style freehand:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_wip7.jpg

How does the Tzeentch symbol on his robe look? (Pardon the glossiness - I need to buy some more sealer.)

bruenor
15-06-2007, 08:14
Now that does look smart, now he's finished, love the freehand symbol.
Great job!!!!!

Tinweasel
21-06-2007, 06:11
Well, based on some suggestions from over at the Relicnews Painting & Modeling Forum, he's back to a work-in-progress status - turns out I've still got a week to enter him in the local competition and there's a few things to finish up.

Current pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_wip8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_wip9.jpg

I'm ideally looking to enter him in the Golden Daemon when it comes around near me in July - it'd be the first one I've ever attended. Anybody have any suggestions on what else would make for a solid entry with this guy in that competition? (Other than finishing the symbol on the back of his robes, of course...)

Looking back through the thread, I guess I'll clarify some stuff:
This particular was released as a Chaos Sorceror of Slaanesh (no name at the time) but is now a named "generic" wizard figure released as Slagroth Vile Staff under GW's classic Fantasy Chaos line.

I figgered out the color I used for the armor basecoat - it's Imperial Purple. I used a mixture of that, GW Mithril Silver metallic, and GW Purple Ink. I worked my way up to highlights of Tentacle Pink, Mithril Silver, and metallic medium.

I settled on Tzeentch for his particular allegiance, just because it fit the existing paint scheme and with the diorama I'd like to eventually do, Violet Fire sounds like an appropriate spell magic-wise. Despite the pastel tones, I think the blue and purple display a bit more prominently - while the armor was somewhat pinkish for a while, it's migrated back to the purple side of the fence.

Arhalien
21-06-2007, 15:45
Very, very, very good work :D
One thing though; the brown on the base edge could do with tidying up a little bit; I think I can see some marks on it from the front.

Savnock
21-06-2007, 21:28
Niiiiice freehand symbol. Very hard to do on fabric like that.

I must say that the staff-figure's face is quite amusing- but the blannk face was more menacing. YMMV, I guess.

Lovely paint and choice of mini. That competition is in the bag unless you live near some Daemon winners.

Tinweasel
23-06-2007, 09:10
@ Arhalien - Not sure where that mark on the base is from, but I repainted the whole thing, just to be sure. I trimmed off some wayward basing material on the sides, as well, so it's hopefully all clean now.

@ Savnock - Thanks! I finished the symbol on the back today - these mark my first (and probably last) attempts at NMM. While it's entertaining to paint, I've never really cared for the appearance of it - I much prefer real metallics. For the robes of a Chaos Sorceror of Tzeentch, though, I figgered that liquid metal on the front wouldn't be too out of place and it'd give me a chance to at least try NMM without painting a whole figure in forced perspective. (I just got done painting Gandalf from the bridge scene in Fellowship of the Ring, so I was itching to try out some other light effects-related painting, to be honest...) I always thought the blank face was more menacing, too, but adding a face was suggested to me and the idea of a poppet or voodoo idol or something on the end kinda jumped out as a theme. The painting on the face seemed like it didn't belong a bit, though, so I went back and glazed the head with a light yellow and now the face looks like it's weathered and patchy - much improved, IMO.

Here's the final figure that I plan on entering in the local GW shop painting competition this upcoming week:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_front2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_back2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/gw_chaos_wizard_top2.jpg

So far as I know I don't live near any Golden Demon winners, at least none seem to go to the store I do (or I'd imagine staff would've mentioned it by now) but there is a Warhammer Fantasy High Elf unit on display at one of the other Hobby Centers in the area that won a Bronze or something and I also saw in White Dwarf... it looks much better in the photos, in truth. I was surprised to see that the transition between colors/highlights wasn't as smooth as I thought it would've been. Come to think of it, the gold on the figures was done in NMM as well... go figure. Ideally I'd like to enter some of my own stuff at the one coming up in Chicago, if I can get down there. I've never been to one before and back when I used to paint miniatures, they were only held in the UK - things have changed quite a bit since (as has my painting, I think!)

dancingmonkey
23-06-2007, 09:26
Its a really nice paint job, although I'm not sold on the face on the statue, kinda breaks the seriousness of the fig. Its great to see the classic chaos stuff. ive got a couple of similar era bits that will one day see the light of day, would be noce to see them painted as well as this.

My ony reservation about your competition chances is the base. Its coll to see a hex "dispay" base (I think its a hex base yes?) However, I feel the quality of the base is less than that of the model. Maybe its the texture of the sand needing another dry brush to come out, and I don't like the green on the rock... maybe glaze the rock with some weird mineral colours, or have some warping colouration spreading out from his feet, like hes twisting the ground he walks on... Another drybrush on the rock might help too, I tend to finish wit bleached bone lightlly on any edges/angles...

In competiotn, I thinkthat the base is what decides who wins, as when you have several amazing paintjobs, (and I include yours as being great!) it will come down to how well the modelis set off, if the base doesn't quite pop, but the next guys does, you will probably find his wins, even if its not quite as well painted....

look for harmony in all elements of the model, I know its hard, (I alwaysrush my bases cos its the last bit of the model... which is why I now make them first, paint them seperately then combine once everything is done!)

still nice work on a classic and characterful figure... good luck with the competition...

Aquilla
23-06-2007, 14:31
I actually like the face on the staff. I never really see the old sorceror figures as being as serious as their modern ay counterparts. Personally I can imagine seeing more freehand on the cloak, or maybe I just have a thing for freehand!

Great job and good luck in the competition!

scarletsquig
23-06-2007, 18:15
Another thing about the base is that golden demon may get picky and not let you enter it because it's on a hex base instead of a square one.

That's how it works in the UK, anyway - if you did him in the "set TreeMan on fire" diorama that you mentioned, it should be fine though.

It's looking really nice - only weak part is the guy on the staff IMO.

Tinweasel
23-06-2007, 20:04
It's a really nice paint job, although I'm not sold on the face on the statue, kinda breaks the seriousness of the fig.

My only reservation about your competition chances is the base. Its cool to see a hex "dispay" base (I think its a hex base yes?) However, I feel the quality of the base is less than that of the model. Maybe its the texture of the sand needing another dry brush to come out, and I don't like the green on the rock... maybe glaze the rock with some weird mineral colours, or have some warping colouration spreading out from his feet, like he's twisting the ground he walks on... Another drybrush on the rock might help too, I tend to finish with bleached bone lightlly on any edges/angles...Thanks for the feedback! What about the face, exactly, because it seems to be turning out to be one of those "people either like it or outright dislike it" things. I originally had him faceless, but a suggestion was made over at the Relicnews P&M forum to put a "twisted" face on the "voodoo doll" on the staff. Well, I kinda took that at face value (no pun intended) and made the poppet on the staff a distorted, stitched face with a mark above its "heart." Any suggestions on how to improve the face or something I could do differently?

So far as the base, yep, it's the original hex base the figure came on in 1989 when I bought him. As to the decoration of the base, I'm aiming for a swamp appearance with a dead, fallen tree with patches of moss over moist, muddy earth. With that in mind, does it still look "off?" Ideally he'll be part of a diorama facing off against a Treeman in a swamp (if I finish the Treeman and swamp in time for the nearest Golden Demon, which I'd like to attend and enter for the first time ever.)

I actually like the face on the staff. I never really see the old sorceror figures as being as serious as their modern ay counterparts. Personally I can imagine seeing more freehand on the cloak, or maybe I just have a thing for freehand!Thanks also! Well, I wasn't really intending for the face to look "whimsical" or anything, just lopsided. So far as the freehand, I was originally planning on having the Eye of Tzeentch on the front and script lettering going around the hem of his robes. When I got to that point, though, I realized that due to the sag of the robes downwards and the rough surface with all the holes, even if I did manage to paint text in the proper arc it'd be so distorted as to be unreadable... the random icon on the back was a last-minute second choice based on feedback that his back view was too "bare." It's the first I've tried NMM, though, and I'm surprised at how it turned out! (Don't much care for it, and I didn't when I first finished the front icon on this guy - but I figger he's a Sorceror of Tzeentch so an icon in liquid metal on his robes isn't completely out of the question.)

Another thing about the base is that golden demon may get picky and not let you enter it because it's on a hex base instead of a square one.

It's looking really nice - only weak part is the guy on the staff IMO.The US rules say, "Models must be mounted on an appropriately sized (though not necessarily game-legal) base." Given that it's the one that originally came with him, I figgered I'd keep the whole thing old school - I'm even using OOP paints! Heh.

So far as the guy on the staff being the only weak part - is it anything specific? I'd really like to know.

To everyone else - I'd really like as much critique and feedback as I can get here! Like I said above, I've never been to a Golden Demon - back when I used to paint they were UK-only and I never had the opportunity to go last year because I didn't have any figures painted to a good enough standard (that and things were kinda hectic.)

I'd ideally like to attend the Chicago GD and enter some stuff this year, including this guy (with or without a Treeman in a swamp.) I'm curious as to what you think I'd be better off doing: entering this guy alone as Warhammer Single Miniature and a Treeman as Large Model, or both of them together in a duel as Open?

Khorghan
07-08-2007, 15:05
Looks good i really like the designs on the cloak

The Super Haggis
07-08-2007, 22:03
Was just looking through the Chicago Demon winners and saw yours, congrats on the Honourable mention (http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/GamesDay2007/chicago_cov/goldendemon/honmen/honmen2.htm)

I think it could've done without the base though as I think it detracts from the figure, still, excellent painting!

Cheers,

Nick.

armos
07-08-2007, 23:53
Beautiful model matey.. i especially like the wax effigy on the pole and the mask is really nice too.. as is the freehand on the cloak... excellent job :)