PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly Rare Bit? (Metal Chaos Dreadnought Pointy Claw Feet)

Scopedog
20-10-2012, 16:11
I've always thought the pointy claw feet on the metal Chaos Dreadnought were either a custom by 'Eavy Metal or a version of the feet that was never produced.

That is, until I saw this post by BasetheRuin:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?312421-BasetheRuins-2nd-Ed-Black-Legion&p=5696102&viewfull=1#post5696102
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115844&d=1312736836

Looking through Google images and eBay, no other Chaos Dreadnought has those pointy claw feet except for BasetheRuin's Dreadnought. I asked him about it and he says he got it from Dutch eBay a couple of years ago.

The image below compiles every picture I'm aware of that shows the pointy claw feet. The left picture is from the 1997 catalog which I believe is the first appearance of the "new" Chaos Dreadnought in the catalog. The top right picture is from the 2nd edition Chaos Codex. I'm not sure the origin of the middle right picture but I believe it is also from 'Eavy Metal and possibly a repainted or photoshop-recolored version of the 2nd edition Dreadnought above it (the equipment, pose, and positioning seem exactly the same). The bottom right picture is BasetheRuin's Dreadnought for comparison.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/sdscopedog/ChaosDreadnought.jpg

Was this bit only released in certain countries? I can't imagine there were safety issues due to pointiness considering how many dangerously pointy bits the Chaos Dreadnought came with. Does anybody else have this version of the feet or any other pictures of them? I'd love to get a pair!

Jorgandr
20-10-2012, 22:13
Woah. Good question. I remember those feet from back then, but no, I never saw them on an actual model with my own eyes, I think. Just a few pictures.

EvilFuzzyDoom
20-10-2012, 23:33
I think they were in the boxing with the thunder hammer & heavy bolter version of the dreadnaught which came out a little while after the original plasma/scourge box.

Sinisterfence
20-10-2012, 23:37
I'm not sure I've ever seen one with anything different, although I don't recall if I've seen one in person.. I thought the old box always came with random weapons?

Scopedog
20-10-2012, 23:39
I think they were in the boxing with the thunder hammer & heavy bolter version of the dreadnaught which came out a little while after the original plasma/scourge box.

I was under the impression that the Chaos Dreadnought never came with those bitz and that the Heavy Bolter and Thunder Hammer were only available via GW Mail Order (that's how I obtained them circa 2002). It seems to me that if the pointy claw feet were actually produced as a normal variation there should be examples in people's collections. I've searched and searched and searched online and can't find another example of these feet besides the four I've already posted and three of those examples are from GW.

Zothos
21-10-2012, 04:38
Mine came with a twin auto cannon, twin heavy bolter and plasma cannon for one arm, and a scourge, claw and hammer for the other.

Never had the pointy toes though.

Angelwing
21-10-2012, 09:03
I don't recall the clawed feet, but the boxset came with all the weapons as Zothos has said.

destroyerlord
21-10-2012, 09:23
Mine came without the hammer or heavy bolter, but I got mine in the mid-2000s.
Never seen the pointy feet before.

Scopedog
21-10-2012, 20:07
I'm not sure I've ever seen one with anything different

Are you referring to the weapon arms or the feet? I don't understand, can you rephrase this?