PDA

View Full Version : Ectofiend as Sonic Dread

The_Klobb_Maniac
22-10-2012, 17:47
Just thought I'd toss this idea out there. Sonic weapons that big are blasts and have decent AP; this seems to be a good abstraction. It wouldn't look like a fiend, but with such goofy looking weapons the opponent would be curious as to what it was in the first place! An ecto fiend seems like a good way to go about this.

Thoughts?

Lord Damocles
22-10-2012, 18:47
Does the Ecto-Fiend not have twice as many blasty weapons (minimum) as the Sonic Dread can have maximum?

Would anyone actually mind substituting 'Chaos Dreadnought' for 'Hellbrute' in the Sonic Dreadnought's rules?

The_Klobb_Maniac
22-10-2012, 19:55
Fair enough, though currently the group has remained abstracted from FW. I also haven't seen the real rules for the thing. Have they been updated with the latest sonic goodness? Actually... yeah.. info on where to get that would be great.

Vaktathi
22-10-2012, 20:13
IIRC there aren't really any FW rules for Sonic Dreads unless I've missed something, they made the model for the 3.5E codex.

That said, I wrote up a set of rules for them for our own use

Given that the latest Codex: Chaos Space Marines didn't fill this niche and neither has Forgeworld, and so many people still have awesome conversions or the beautiful Forgeworld model for Sonic Dreads, I figured putting together a simple upgrade framework may be in order. I patterned this somewhat off the Decimator rules.

"Any Helbrute may be designated as a Sonic Dreadnought for +15pts. It gains both Offensive and Defensive Grenades and a Dirge Caster, swaps its Multi-Melta for a Twin Linked Sonic Blaster, and may take the following options"

May swap Twin Linked Sonic Blaster for a Blastmaster for 20pts.
May swap Powerfist for a Twin Linked Sonic Blaster for Free or a Blastmaster for 10pts.

May take a Doom Siren for 15pts.

Lord Damocles
22-10-2012, 20:16
Imperial Armour: Apocalypse II, pg.76, gives rules for Sonic Dreadnoughts.

Vaktathi
22-10-2012, 20:25
Oooh, I totally forgot about that. Good catch.

movin_pics
22-10-2012, 21:01
I can't imagine anyone having an issue with someone using a counts as Forge Fiend, infact if you went to the trouble of converting a Fiend to have Sonic weapons and be suitably Slaaneshi I would salute you. ;)

MajorWesJanson
23-10-2012, 01:18
IIRC there aren't really any FW rules for Sonic Dreads unless I've missed something, they made the model for the 3.5E codex.

That said, I wrote up a set of rules for them for our own use

15 points for a dirge caster and OD grenades seems rather cheap to me.

The_Klobb_Maniac
23-10-2012, 01:38
While I'd just go use the apoc rules, he is also losing a multi-melta for roughly a hurricane bolter. I think that counts for something :p

Vaktathi
23-10-2012, 03:27
15 points for a dirge caster and OD grenades seems rather cheap to me.For something that, more likely than not, is never going to make it into assault, and where anything that'd care about the defensive grenades is going to rip it apart regardless, as well as most defensive fire being unable to hurt it either way, it's points that most games will never come into play I imagine.

Aiwass
23-10-2012, 15:44
Conversion "idea".

-Take normal SM dreadnought.
-Right arm with TL Assault Cannons (count as 2 Hades AC)
-Left arm. Take the ML arm, add some pipes, dirge casters and guitar strings and make it as your sonic weapon. Count as Ecto cannon)
-Add some chaotic bits and strip the imperial ones (Slaaneshi simbols, ridding daemonettes, chains)

There you go.

Denny
23-10-2012, 15:52
Just thought I'd toss this idea out there. Sonic weapons that big are blasts and have decent AP; this seems to be a good abstraction. It wouldn't look like a fiend, but with such goofy looking weapons the opponent would be curious as to what it was in the first place! An ecto fiend seems like a good way to go about this.

Thoughts?

Using your above logic (sonic weapons are blasts with decent ap) wouldn't a plasma cannon on a hellbrute do the job?
(Gets hot = rocks so hard he starts shaking appppppppppaaaaarrrrttttttt!!!!!!)

AmKhaibitu
23-10-2012, 20:59
How many plasma cannons can a brute equip?
It's significant as an ectofiend can have up to 3 ecto cannons :D