PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Regarding New Plastic Chaos Kits

Lord Dan
24-10-2012, 16:03
So we have some pictures of the new Chaos models, which can be found here: http://s1306.photobucket.com/albums/kurl1/

Special thanks to their owner, resident "Austrian guy" Kurl Varanek. The plastic kits in this wave are:

-Warshrine
-Juggernaut Knights (Skull Crushers)
-Slaanesh Hunters (Hellstriders)

Please take a moment to answer the poll, above.

loveless
24-10-2012, 16:14
Negative on the Warshrine (I've got no idea what is going on with that model). Positive on the Skull Crushers (though the name is a bit meh :p) - they look just as expected, which is a good combination. Neutral on the Hellstriders - they look odd as individual models, but the ranked up unit looks good.

lbecks
24-10-2012, 16:15
I like all of them. I wish the Khorne riders had a higher saddle, but that's about it.

logan054
24-10-2012, 16:16
The crushers seem fine, they just need to be glued and painted properly, don't care for anything slaanesh, warshrine is just weird.

Urgat
24-10-2012, 16:29
Neutral on warshrine, positive on juggs, negative on slaanesh steed benchseaters.

BigbyWolf
24-10-2012, 16:30
No option for "I'm waiting to see them properly before judging"?.

Your poll-fu is failing, Lord Dan. ;)

As it stands, I'm pretty "meh" on all three of them. Probably because I play Tzeentch/ Slaanesh, but hate marauders.

Zanzibarthefirst
24-10-2012, 16:34
The warshire has a bit too much going on. Maybe remove the giant skull and the chaos symbol above the flame pit and we're good.
I like the skullcrushers, just what you'd expect tbh.
The hellstriders confuse me, why would slaanesh gift these elegant creatures to mere Marauders?

Gaargod
24-10-2012, 16:34
The warshrine is freaky - and not in a good way. I actually rather liked the picture in the book, but that's just unattractive. Plus, that model is just fricking made to snap - it's very tall and very spindly looking.

Skullcrushers are nice. Appropriately solid and brutal.

Hellstriders... Well, personally I think they're way too thin to be proper monstrous creatures and I don't like the idea of marauders being rewarded with daemonic mounts. On the other hand, the actual models aren't too bad, even if the pose for the marauders is very meh. Neutral overall.

DaemonReign
24-10-2012, 16:40
Voted 'positive' on the Warshrine. Think it's pretty cool. Not what people were expecting I guess. I Believe we'll get used to it.

Skullcrushers are... exactly what you'd expect. I voted 'positive' simply on the bases of them not being a let-down.

Hellstriders suffer from the same problem that Seekers (duh) carries around.. There's no 'momentum' in the plastic Seeker steeds. I'm almost glad they didn't remake them though, because as I Daemon-player I would have been so jealous.. Voted neutral on those anyway..

Malorian
24-10-2012, 16:40
I think if the warshrine carriers were done in an eviler color it would have been better.

All the models seem fine to me, I'm just not looking forward to even more monster cav... quess I'll be breaking out the chukkas and doom divers...

Urgat
24-10-2012, 17:54
Hellstriders... Well, personally I think they're way too thin to be proper monstrous creatures and I don't like the idea of marauders being rewarded with daemonic mounts.

Well they aren't monstrous cavalry so it's fine. That being said I agree that I can't see a fluff justification for that. I can't see the point of the unit either, in fact. In fact, there's nothing I like about them, from concept to execution, it's all a fail for me.

Bladelord
24-10-2012, 18:14
The photobucket link leads to an error page. Can someone please post attachments or [IMG] images?

Jind_Singh
24-10-2012, 18:25
I liked the Juggers but wasn't excited- the concept wasn't fresh to me as we have all seen this before in the main rule book. But I was happy that they didn't mess them up - good looking models and I want them for sure as I detest the current Chaos Knights (most awful models to rank up!).

The dudes on seekers...sad panda face! Boar Boy riders look so dynamic - these guys look a bit meh

The Warshrine - some REALLY strong concepts but for the life of me...why would a Khorne Alter be painted in his most hated rivals colors?!

Special characters turned out nice, excited to see them up close, and overall a good boost to the ranks of Warriors. What REALLY excites me is that this is just a splash release - meaing when the main book comes out there will be MORE kits! More kits = happy panda!!

logan054
24-10-2012, 19:21
Interesting how no one actually hates the bloodcrushers, I guess you really can't go wrong with Khorne :)

Lordsaradain
24-10-2012, 20:58
Did the pictures get taken down?

TheDungen
24-10-2012, 21:12
the jugger knights look fine, the juggers still look like they're wearing ballet shoes however, next time gw, clawed feet or at least large hooves.

The slaanesh riders look cool actually, i like the helmets. someone said something about whips? large muscular men with whips, this is beginning to sound like slaanesh.

I however detest the warshrine, its impracticality and "lets do this just for the sake of doing it" is an example of everything thats wrong with warhammer these days and make me think about quitting before i have to see the abomination that probably will be the flying high elf chariot.
I wonder why they could never sit down and ask themselves if i actually lived in the warhammer world what would make sense doing. would it make sense to place a mark of chaos on a cart (maybe spiked cart) and go to war or to make a damn ship carried by two ogres that will topple at hard wind and then stick people on top of it for extra unbalance.

Bladelord
24-10-2012, 22:54
How come the link is broken to some, whilst others can view the pics?

I however detest the warshrine, its impracticality and "lets do this just for the sake of doing it" is an example of everything thats wrong with warhammer these days and make me think about quitting before i have to see the abomination that probably will be the flying high elf chariot.
I wonder why they could never sit down and ask themselves if i actually lived in the warhammer world what would make sense doing. would it make sense to place a mark of chaos on a cart (maybe spiked cart) and go to war or to make a damn ship carried by two ogres that will topple at hard wind and then stick people on top of it for extra unbalance.

I understand and to some degree share your view on the impractical wave that washes over WHFB, perhaps with currents from World of Warcraft. Example given: The current Skaven warp lightning cannon might be a decent model, but its carriage is unnecessarily large and the miniature is inferior to the metal predecessor. On the other hand the Plague Furnace is in my eyes a characterful and good model, where the lunaticism of Clan Pestillence justifies an unstable monster of a construct. Since this is a matter of taste and generally only is true of warmachines, wagons and monsters, there is usually the simple solution of not using something which you don't like the look of.

Personally I'd like some historical military realism within the Fantasy borders for armies where it should be expected, such as elves, dwarfs, Bretonnia and Empire. For more esoteric armies where a certain impractical, crude or even self-destructive building philosophy persists we could still make do with carefulness on GW's part, so that the most extreme excesses become optional add-ons in the kit. Furthermore, the historically realistic style of the Perry twin's Dogs of War miniatures should especially return to the Empire's ordinary state troops in order to give them reasonable poses and proportions and above all equipment, clothing and armour which doesn't look like a pyjama. It's quite fine with wacky special constructs in the Special or Rare units section since it is easy to not use them if they look wrong, but it's a serious issue if the rank-and-file warriors are ugly.

Xerkics
24-10-2012, 22:59
Skull Crushers look great everything else is a bit meh imo.

sulla
25-10-2012, 00:37
Can't see anything so I'm gonna have to vote 'underwhelmed'.

decker_cky
25-10-2012, 00:40
I understand and to some degree share your view on the impractical wave that washes over WHFB, perhaps with currents from World of Warcraft. Example given: The current Skaven warp lightning cannon might be a decent model, but its carriage is unnecessarily large and the miniature is inferior to the metal predecessor. On the other hand the Plague Furnace is in my eyes a characterful and good model, where the lunaticism of Clan Pestillence justifies an unstable monster of a construct. Since this is a matter of taste and generally only is true of warmachines, wagons and monsters, there is usually the simple solution of not using something which you don't like the look of.

Both the WLC and the plague furnace are a real world concept that's warhammerized. The carriage is a bit much on the WLC, but it doesn't look off at all and is rather simple in itself. The plague furnace is basically all a unified concept.

The war altar is trying to be 17 things at once. It's like they wrote out all these concepts, then rather than refine the idea, went to the artist and said "I want all of those in a single model!". The result is an overly busy model with no focus. Even the VC altar thing has a solid focus and motion which makes it work (though parts like the banshees actually detract rather than add to the concept IMO). I find the entire top of the war altar to be a mess of details your eyes don't want to focus on, with you only able to vaguely focus on the front of it, or the troll/ogres below.

The colours don't do it any favour, but until I see a version that impresses me, I consider that to be worse than the pumbagor.

It's a pity, because the concept in the WoC book was great. It was a simple but brutal idol to the gods.

Deaf Paradox
25-10-2012, 11:52
Positive on it all based on the fact of kit-bashing opportunities, the kits offer a rich variety to convert. Although the riders pose are lame as hell, nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of imagination.

Even if you depise the Warshine, it offers itself up to be split into different models, Got a couple of Chaos Orges, Sorcerer and Daemon Herald in the mix to which one of the orges (4 legged one) looks suitable to be carrying a Palanquin.

Troops of the mounts seem to offer some nice extras to spruce up the Chaos Warriors, the mind boggles with converting madness.

Vampiric16
25-10-2012, 11:52
Voted negative on the Crushers and Hellstriders. Not because they're bad models, but because they are lazy. Seriously, they needed to make an entirely new kit for what could be made from existing kits? That's time and effort that could have been put into updating existing units that actually need new models (chaos ogres, trolls, dragon ogres, Throgg etc).

As for the Warshrine, I voted negative unless it has alternative parts for the other gods. As it stands, it makes a fine slaaneshi shrine and a passable Tzeentch shrine at a push. However, it isn't suitable for the other two gods. I mean, are you simply expected to paint the ogres red for Khorne?

Overall, a disappointing release, especially when they set the standard so high with kits like the Arachnarok and Stonehorn.

Confessor_Atol
25-10-2012, 16:19
skull crushers- lookin' good overall. I would have liked a bit mor motion.

The hellstriders- meh, alright. I would have loved to see some buff nordic women riding them. The muscle marauders are just a bit too bulky

The warshrine- A failure of design, too busy of a concept. My guess is that there are no interchangealbe parts, they would have highlighted that in the WD pictures. The carriers are too small, the platform/paliquine is too heavy/large. I'm even a huge fan of baroque WOC direction they've been taking the range. IMO the warshrine has just jumped the shark...

Lars Porsenna
25-10-2012, 22:45
Voted neutral on the warshrine, positive on both the Skullcrushers and hellstriders. I like both, and looking at the latter makes me wonder if I shouldn't be doing a Slaanesh themed army (though I also dig the former too...)

Damon.

Storyteller
26-10-2012, 03:07
I gave a positive to the War Shrine - and I think I've surprised myself about that reaction! It doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd normally go for but the gut reaction is a good one and it hasn't gone away. I'm not a fan of the colour scheme though, and I'd like to see how well it 'fits' in a bigger Chaos army. Still, I think if you can't go a bit crazy with a Chaos model then where can you?

Positive for the Skullcrushers. That said, it was always going to be hard for them to drop the ball on this one because they had the elements already there. They managed not to drop the ball, and I do like them, but I am a bit surprised that I am not blown away by them. Perhaps they just lost that extra 'wow' factor because I knew just what to expect.

Neutral for Hellstriders. They're not awful, but I just can't really see the fluff justification. Then again I've never really been a fan of the slaaneshi steeds.

Jim Bowen
26-10-2012, 08:11
Positive on it all based on the fact of kit-bashing opportunities, the kits offer a rich variety to convert. Although the riders pose are lame as hell, nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of imagination.

Even if you depise the Warshine, it offers itself up to be split into different models, Got a couple of Chaos Orges, Sorcerer and Daemon Herald in the mix to which one of the orges (4 legged one) looks suitable to be carrying a Palanquin.

Troops of the mounts seem to offer some nice extras to spruce up the Chaos Warriors, the mind boggles with converting madness.

Yes well said these are plastic kits if you don't like them straight from the box mix and match with other chaos kits, thd hobby aspect takes a lot of work but the end results are worth it

judaism
26-10-2012, 16:49
Positive for all. I think with a little customization, they all can go a long way in making the theme of your army really pop.

Karak Norn Clansman
26-10-2012, 22:21
Why on earth can I not view the pictures? The link leads to an error page.

TheDungen
26-10-2012, 23:41
I understand and to some degree share your view on the impractical wave that washes over WHFB, perhaps with currents from World of Warcraft.

Be careful last time i hinted at that they almost lynched me =P

Urgat
26-10-2012, 23:43
In Warcraft, the shrines would have wheels :p

TheDungen
26-10-2012, 23:46
In Warcraft, the shrines would have wheels :p

In World of warcraft there are plenty of flying buildings Urgat, i think that says it all. oh and 20-30 meters high zombies.
Warcraft however kept a lower tone much closer to warhammer.

It's a pity, because the concept in the WoC book was great. It was a simple but brutal idol to the gods.

Brutal... Brutal! Thats the word i've been missing from this release! Where is the heavy metal where are the spikes the swords and the axes? thats just a post modern ornament carried by two blobs of flesh. Hey place front part on the ogres shoulder give him armour and a huge sword and we're talking chaos (also the armour would make them blend in more with the shrine).

Odin
27-10-2012, 00:21
It's a bit of an odd release.

The Hellstriders have quite a good design to the marauders themselves - the armour is nicely inspired by Sigvald, and the mutations look pretty cool. However, the way they are just dumped onto the steeds is awful.

The Skullcrushers are fine, just a bit bland. If I get some, I'll need to do some Blancheifying.

Festus and Valkia are pretty good, though Valkia maybe lacks a bit of something. Scyla is ok - weird pose but decent enough update of the previous model.

And then there's the warshrine. Individually there are some very nice bits to this. The overall model though... it's a bit of a mess. I suppose maybe it's just chaotic. But as others have pointed out, with those... ogres (?) carrying it being so unique, you can't very easily have two shrines without it looking pretty odd.

I may have to convert it to sit on the War Altar chassis.

Karak Norn Clansman
27-10-2012, 08:39
I'm sold. I'll buy the Warshrine and plunder it whole for bitz and slave ogres to the Chaos Dwarfs. In that regard it is an outstanding kit. :D

Urgat
27-10-2012, 10:35
In World of warcraft there are plenty of flying buildings Urgat, i think that says it all.

Yeah but chariot-sized things are on wheels :p There's also plenty of flying buildings in Warhammer, so what does it say in Warcraft that it doesn't say in Warhammer exactly?

Darnok
27-10-2012, 12:53
Positive on the Skullcrushers. They look really good - even though I'm of the opinion that GW couldn't do much wrong with them. The Juggernaughts were already done, the aesthetics for Khorne knights is well established, so they really just had to combine them. And they did it well.

The Hellstriders on the other side... urgh. The components just don't fit together. The sleek Slaaneshsteeds don't work at all with the clumsy barbarians, and the odd poses don't help either. A clear negative for me.

The Warshrine is just bad, on many different levels. Not as in "badass", but as in "ugly, and overall poorls done". I don't mind the thing being carried by trolls/ogres/whatever, these are actually the best about the whole thing. But the model is unbalanced, the different parts don't interact on a visual level, and there are too many things that look off. The front section looks like it would fall over any moment. The rear section completely stands on its own (check the 360 view from the side: no real connection between front and back, just two seperated parts that have nothing to do with each other). The "priest" is unimaginative, as is the icon. The outer ornaments also don't add anything, but simply look spiky and stupid. And what is that random axe supposed to do?

Bah, just no. A clear negative, three thumbs down.

lbecks
27-10-2012, 13:12
Looking at all the kits again on the website

Skullcrushers: Very nice. GW really packed the sprues on this one. Looks like it's parts compatible with the Knights kit and rider compatible with the Manticore.

Hellstriders: The mutant heads should be smiling. But still, lots of options. I like it.

Shrine: From the side it loses its volume. Giants should be bigger and the star should be shorter for visual balance. Should also probably be shorter lengthwise or they should have included a 2nd character riding the shrine to fill up the middle. A decapitated body draped over the alter would have been a nice option along with the book and axe. I like Arnold Sorcererneggar.

Vampiric16
27-10-2012, 13:17
Continuing from my previous post, it does appear that the only god specific thing on the warshrine is the icon. Laughable. Seems I was right about having to paint the ogres red for Khorne...

Sh4d0w
27-10-2012, 14:16
Hellstriders are the stupidest thing to grace the warhammer world to date.

Urgat
27-10-2012, 14:24
Continuing from my previous post, it does appear that the only god specific thing on the warshrine is the icon. Laughable. Seems I was right about having to paint the ogres red for Khorne...
Well obviously, they weren't going to put 4 pairs of different monstrous-sized infantry :eyebrows:

Darnok
27-10-2012, 14:40
Well obviously, they weren't going to put 4 pairs of different monstrous-sized infantry :eyebrows:

Some optional parts for the shrine would not have been too much to ask. Especially since it is such an integral part for theming lists. I mean: it is a thing devoted to one of four different gods, and everything differentiating is a symbol on top?

Haravikk
27-10-2012, 14:49
I quite like the Hellstriders, though I've never been keen on the udders on the Slaanesh steeds as they detract from their otherwise sleek look. That said, I don't really see the point of them being added; there is other stuff more badly needed, such as reimagined chaos ogres, trolls and dragon ogres.

Likewise with the Skullcrushers; Chaos Knights were already formidable to the point that army doesn't need monstrous cavalry, they would have been better off making dragon ogres more useful as a kind of monstrous cavalry, or even making a hybrid kit from them that could also serve as monstrous chaos knights for everyone, not just Khorne. Even so, I just can't help but feel that Juggernauts aren't quite so special when you can have whole units of them. Model wise they're basically as expected, but somewhat boring; they could have taken the chance to improve Juggernauts a bit but instead they're pretty much the same as the Blood Crusher ones (if not identical), meanwhile the knights on top are hideous; even worse looking than normal Chaos knights, why Games Workshop won't include cloaks on them is beyond me and they'd look 100% better if done properly. Even so the Khorne helms are really dumb looking; not so bad on the odd character but on a whole unit they're just awful. Also, why do they even bother with shields? They already have a 1+ save and can't get Parry anyway?

The War Shrine meanwhile is a massive disappointment; the only god specific customisation is a book or axe and an icon. They've really missed a trick with the whole kit as they could have much more easily have made it a bit smaller, though still tall, so they could include more god specific options such as providing a choice of fronts, altars, and maybe even mounts for the icon. Instead the whole thing screams Khorne, regardless of the tiny icon you slap on it. The bearers are also just repulsive, and not in a properly done Nurgle way, I mean why does the one at the back have a backside for his groin? For a flagship army they should have made it mountable on wheels with steeds, but then produced a big monster kit alongside that it could optionally be mounted upon. I think most Chaos players would just throw money at their local store if it meant they could get a big mammoth kit then slap a War Shrine on top, or maintain compatibility with the existing artwork by having it more chariot like.

I just can't stand it as it is, and we're going to be stuck with it for years which is even worse. I'm sure some parts of it will look great for conversions, but the model as-is is dreadful, and the lack of customisation means that really aside from the Hellstriders this update is Khorne only. That said, the shrine even fails at that as it has too many conflicting elements that make the whole look far too busy; it's supposed to be something lashed together by marauding warbands and then blessed by their gods; a smaller, simpler core kit with a bunch of customisation bits, including fire and daemons as possibilities, would have been so much better. Especially with the option to mount as a normal chariot, or slap on the back of a monster. I'd have killed for such a kit, instead I'm more likely to die of disgust looking at it :p

It's a real shame to get such a poor set of releases alongside the new Valkia and Festus models, both of which are really great models.

TheDungen
27-10-2012, 15:07
Yeah but chariot-sized things are on wheels :p There's also plenty of flying buildings in Warhammer, so what does it say in Warcraft that it doesn't say in Warhammer exactly?

I remember one flying castle in warhammer and one flying city but where would i find flying buildings? and i'm talking lots of lots of flying buildings.

and i'll give you they dont have many platforms carried by two monsters, my guess is that it hard since their grapics engine have all moving parts move in relation to a centre point (if you've played the game you'll notice this when it comes the the way mounts move, the characters on top dont move, except forward, but the front and back side of the mount go up and down)

you on the other hand have plenty of singular big guys carrying things and people (The giant you ride around on in zul'drakkar for an example or the alchemists boss in Frozen halls part 2)

Dool3
27-10-2012, 16:56
156203Here is what im going to do to fix the warshrine model.
I think the new one is well, goofy and this makes it awesome. a giant monster pulling a shrine of the chaos gods is cooler than 2 straining fat dopes struggling with their luggage...

theunwantedbeing
27-10-2012, 19:36
Warshrine
Why are there trolls carrying it?
I'm not a fan of GW's super tall trend of support units that grant buffs to nearby things.
The current fluff(I guess it changed?) doesn't describe anything like this new model as a warshrine

The only plus side is that it can easily be used as a tonne of bitz for using elsewhere in the army and the trolls that carry it are very nice looking models.

Skullcrushers
I like them a lot.
Not a fan of the rules due to how they conflict with current juggernaught stats but that is my singular gripe with them.
I've been wanting to see some Daemonic mounted knights since I first started chaos back in 5th edition, now I get them :)

HellStriders
Great models, this is what Slaanesh stuff should look like, wierd and perverse but not a boob in sight!
Again, this fits my want of Daemonic mounted knights even if they aren't knights as such.
I would have preferred to see them getting chaos armour (or do they have it?) as 3+ or even 2+ save fast cav strike me as a wonderfully slaaneshi concept :)

Voss
27-10-2012, 19:40
Shrine and crushers are good, marauders are unexpectedly poor after the excellent marauder horsemen.

Great models, this is what Slaanesh stuff should look like, wierd and perverse but not a boob in sight!
There are roughly 30.

Shnerg
28-10-2012, 01:21
I love the Skullcrushers and Hellstriders. They'll complement my WoC so well.

Warshrine? Ehh. It'd grow on me. But I'm much more likely (because Tzeentch) to use a Mortis Engine as my WS.

Sh4d0w
28-10-2012, 01:51
So for anyone who has read the rules for the skullcrushers, apart from the armour, what makes them different to the daemon ones?

Freman Bloodglaive
28-10-2012, 01:54
I like the Juggernauts. If I were playing 40k Chaos I'd definitely eBay one in order to kitbash a Khorne Lord on Juggernaut.

Voss
28-10-2012, 03:24
So for anyone who has read the rules for the skullcrushers, apart from the armour, what makes them different to the daemon ones?

Not all that much, mostly stats (T and armour) and frenzy vs. hatred (if I'm remembering the DoC book correctly).

Thinking about it, apparently the solution to splitting chaos up too much by making three chaos armies is... add daemonic cavalry variants back into Warriors.
Hmm. Potentially ugly trend, but hopefully there is a chance they'll put everything back together again in 5 or 6 years.

decker_cky
28-10-2012, 03:55

They have chaos knights riding them, and the mark of khorne for frenzy. Pretty much everything as expected that goes with that.

club_death
28-10-2012, 13:21
Am I the only one who doesn't like the juggies?
My thoughts of khorne are that they'd either be a bit more... Dynamic I guess, if not at least a bit less skinny... When I get my hands on them I'm sure I'll change my mind but at the moment I'm not sold

The bearded one
28-10-2012, 16:04
WarshrineGreat models, this is what Slaanesh stuff should look like, wierd and perverse but not a boob in sight!There are roughly 30.

* puzzled look *

* looks closely at the models again *

'oooooh, there they are!'

Sh4d0w
28-10-2012, 16:16
Warshrine
Why are there trolls carrying it?
I'm not a fan of GW's super tall trend of support units that grant buffs to nearby things.
The current fluff(I guess it changed?) doesn't describe anything like this new model as a warshrine

The only plus side is that it can easily be used as a tonne of bitz for using elsewhere in the army and the trolls that carry it are very nice looking models.

Skullcrushers
I like them a lot.
Not a fan of the rules due to how they conflict with current juggernaught stats but that is my singular gripe with them.
I've been wanting to see some Daemonic mounted knights since I first started chaos back in 5th edition, now I get them :)

HellStriders
Again, this fits my want of Daemonic mounted knights even if they aren't knights as such.
I would have preferred to see them getting chaos armour (or do they have it?) as 3+ or even 2+ save fast cav strike me as a wonderfully slaaneshi concept :)

Armour on slaanesh fast cavalry strike you as a wonderfully slaaneshi concept??? Really????

The bearded one
28-10-2012, 16:20
Armour on slaanesh fast cavalry strike you as a wonderfully slaaneshi concept??? Really????

I suppose only slaaneshi cavalry would still be so fast while heavily armoured.

Odin
28-10-2012, 16:48
I think the new one is well, goofy and this makes it awesome. a giant monster pulling a shrine of the chaos gods is cooler than 2 straining fat dopes struggling with their luggage...

Hmm... is that to scale? If so, that could be a stroke of genius.

The bearded one
28-10-2012, 16:56

I concur, that'd be way more awesome. The warshrine should've been carried by something large like an elephant anyway, not 2 mutant ogres. The thing is wackey enough without wacky carriers.

VanHel
28-10-2012, 16:58
The warshrine has potential. It needs work, but it has potential, I plan on swapping out the wizard for an old Heroquest chaos sorcerer I have lying around, and then reinforcing the actual shriney bit and making it hover.

S_A_T_S
28-10-2012, 17:42
The warshrine looks awful as it is - I could only really work out what was going on with it when I looked at Dool3's version (which is awesome, by the way). The troll things just look out of place, and don't even seem to be carrying it. Looks more like the shrine is balanced on them than they are actually taking any weight. It has conversion potential (mount on chariot wheels/the Empire War Altar base, add some spawn or similar to pull it) but out of the box - no.

Juggers look cool - can't go too far wrong with knights on armoured behemoths. I like the relaxed style as opposed to the overly dynamic - Khorne doesn't have to be all about crazed madmen, there are just as many cool collected and highly skilled killers who are just brutally efficient at spilling blood and taking skull. These guys look like there is nothing on the battlefield that worries hem, and they're gonna take it all in their stride.

The helstriders I like as well - their legs are still a bit odd, same as the daemonettes, but I find myself thinking of them as whooping, hollering speed jockeys, whipping themselves and their mounts into a frenzy of ecstasy as they charge in. For that, the reduced armour works fine. The weapons are groovy too.

Soundwave
28-10-2012, 18:40
I was not impressed at first,but now after looking followed by even more looking then some more ,all the kits have grown on me i think they add an extra dimension and character to the once armor plated chaos range,juggers fall in line of course but have a very rich pop khorne flavour.

Sheena Easton
28-10-2012, 19:32
I like the Warshrine because its not the expected Altar On Chariot / Evil Empire War Alter. Though I can see why there is a lot of disappointment with it as in many ways it is too generic, but if it had the kind of custom bitz people seem to be expecting, it would be around the 400 mark... however, as a starting point or kit for someone who doesn't want to invest the time / money in huge kitbashing / conversion projects it is a good solid kit. And yes, I can see how people would be annoyed at the suggestion of using the kit as a starting point before anyone brings that up.

I don't like the other two kits at all:

The JuggerKnights look very lazy - take Daemonic Mount, add Chaos Knights with Khorne Berzerker heads and some stock weapons...

The Hellstrider things are so poorly executed its not funny. The steeds look sleek and energetic yet they have some poorly sculpted mannequins perched ontop, and those mannequins appear to consist of melted rejects from the daemonettes and marauders kits that were rescued from a skip. Plus those hitherto non-existant whippy things are ridiculous! Why not just give them flails (which are fittingly Slaaneshi)?

Schmapdi
28-10-2012, 19:56
The Warshrine is major-league goofy looking. Negative opinion on that one.

The two sets of Cav aren't bad - but they're also basically just Bloodcrushers and Seekers. So It's hard to get too excited over them either. Neutral.

duffybear1988
28-10-2012, 20:10
The juggerknights are ok but everything else is stomach churningly bad.

Almost like they didn't even try to come up with anything original. I think it speaks volumes when practice sculpts for awesome figures appear at Games Days and yet never get released, but GW still put these up for sale.

Do GW not care? Or did they not want to hurt the feelings of the sculptors???

Xerkics
28-10-2012, 20:38
I think the Warshrine is a very good source of bits even though on its own its pretty bad. Im sure we will see a tonn of great conversions.

Astraeos
28-10-2012, 21:29
I actually really like the Warshrine. I was expecting something like the Empire's new altars but this is a much more interesting idea!

Xerkics
28-10-2012, 21:36
I was hoping for something like the coven throne.

Dool3
28-10-2012, 22:23
thanks, i am doing this and i will post results in 2 weeks
also, hey TBO and greeting from the brewery:)

TheDungen
28-10-2012, 23:43
Actually i think that the juggerknight could be much better if you just tilted them a bit forward in their saddle so it looks like they're standing in their stirrups. that would give the riders the same sense of movement they obviously went for in the mounts.

Tarliyn
29-10-2012, 04:40
I like the crushers, exactly what I expected. The hellstriders are.... Okay. Nothing must buy there.

Now to the shrine. It very much does not equal the sum of its parts. That being said. I may get one either new or from bitz sellers just for the ogres carrying it and the sorceror on top. Those elements alone may make it worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urgat
29-10-2012, 07:42
I remember one flying castle in warhammer and one flying city but where would i find flying buildings? and i'm talking lots of lots of flying buildings.
Fozrik's flying towers, Forzrik's Flying Castle, dwarf versus orcs with those flying stone barges in the OnG book, Empire vs Orcs in the SoM book with Karl Franz versus Giant and all these, well I guess they're Fozrric towers flying in the sky, various edscriptions of buildings torn from the ground in the wastes. There's plenty really.

and i'll give you they dont have many platforms carried by two monsters, my guess is that it hard since their grapics engine have all moving parts move in relation to a centre point (if you've played the game you'll notice this when it comes the the way mounts move, the characters on top dont move, except forward, but the front and back side of the mount go up and down)
What? No, don't make assumptions like that, forget about it. I'm into 3D model making and that's certainly not a problem. Plenty of games where the problem could arise and the way they deal with it is: "bah, that'll do"

you on the other hand have plenty of singular big guys carrying things and people (The giant you ride around on in zul'drakkar for an example or the alchemists boss in Frozen halls part 2)
It's because they didn't think of multi carriers, or they didn't care for it (plus it's a pain to animate if you don't want perfectly synchro-ed carrier clones), but there's long models that have to rotate along their axis where it's plain obvious (dragons, etc), that didn't make them try and make a specific animation for when they turn on the spot, they just flail around happily when a DPS pulls the agro from the tank :p

Evil Hypnotist
29-10-2012, 09:33
I like the new kits and went positive for 2 out of the 3. I went neutral on the warshrine, it has many good features, it's just much bigger than I expected. I already have kitbashed 2 and I don't use them often so I'm unsure whether to get one, knowing current releases there will be a boat-load of bits with it I will want to use though :S

Haravikk
29-10-2012, 14:34
if it had the kind of custom bitz people seem to be expecting, it would be around the 400 mark...
Not really; swap out the hideous (as in terrible sculpts) mutant models and that saves a load of plastic already, then make it a touch smaller so it'd be easier to have it function as a chariot by default. Ditch the spider-webby railings and that'll save some sprue space as well. Then ditch the front figurehead as the waste of space it is.

This would leave a perfectly workable core, leaving ample room for more sensible sized, and more iconic rather than stupid looking, fronts, give some options for swapping out the demon, add a few more braziers and spiky bits and you'd be well on the way to an easy to customise kit, all in the same sized package. I don't think anyone expected a kit that would represent their perfect vision of whatever god they chose, but the lack of any real options is pathetic; the four major gods defines the army in many ways and the shrine should be a representation of the one you choose. Instead we got a messy mash-up of conflicting ideas with only a weak icon choice as the only concession.

The core of the platform, the big circular mount for the icon, the altar and character are all decent, but that's only half of the kit you're paying good money for. You could probably get more mileage from the Coven Throne and Mortis Engine kit for Slaanesh and Tzeentch shrines, and I wouldn't bother using the War Shrine kit as a basis for Khorne or Nurgle unless you nab the bits you need from Bitz Box or eBay or wherever; in fact I'd say Nurgle gets the worst end of the stick as there's nothing in the set that really gives any sense of decay, whereas a well designed kit could have some bubbling pots or generally putrid bits and pieces to add.

The point is that the kit is way too generic to the point that it's far from an obvious choice as a starting point for a conversion since loads of other things will do. It even lacks any real minor touches like smoking braziers instead of flaming ones to give more Nurgle-like vapours; even the character doesn't have any real options to specialise it. The mutants aren't decayed enough to suit Nurgle, they'll just about do for Tzeentch, they don't look fierce enough for Khorne, and they definitely don't suit any aspect of Slaanesh.

gorblud
29-10-2012, 14:56
why do the skullcrusher mounts have robot legs?

Darnok
29-10-2012, 15:05
why do the skullcrusher mounts have robot legs?

Juggernauts of Khorne have always been a mix of daemon and machine.

loveless
29-10-2012, 15:33
The Hellstriders are really growing on me - it's a shame they're not knights/warriors, but it does add an interesting visual. It's still just "take marauders, put on steeds of slaanesh" but at it least it offers some theming options. I like them the more I look at them.

TheDungen
29-10-2012, 16:48
Fozrik's flying towers, Forzrik's Flying Castle, dwarf versus orcs with those flying stone barges in the OnG book, Empire vs Orcs in the SoM book with Karl Franz versus Giant and all these, well I guess they're Fozrric towers flying in the sky, various edscriptions of buildings torn from the ground in the wastes. There's plenty really.

What? No, don't make assumptions like that, forget about it. I'm into 3D model making and that's certainly not a problem. Plenty of games where the problem could arise and the way they deal with it is: "bah, that'll do"

It's because they didn't think of multi carriers, or they didn't care for it (plus it's a pain to animate if you don't want perfectly synchro-ed carrier clones), but there's long models that have to rotate along their axis where it's plain obvious (dragons, etc), that didn't make them try and make a specific animation for when they turn on the spot, they just flail around happily when a DPS pulls the agro from the tank :p

From your post i understand that you do agree that it hard to make a two carrier item look good then?

and yes there are flying buildings in warhammer but its always stated as something spectacular when there is, if you go to eversong every third building will have flying parts and no one ever comments on it, to them its just architecture.

flying stuff in warhammer is more like how Dalaran flew to northrend. or in the wastes its similar to the flying islands of outland.

TsukeFox
29-10-2012, 17:57
Woo more plastic !

But does anyone else feel like the difference between Warriors & Daemons is becoming smaller ?

And that Beastman were just left in the Stone Age ?

Urgat
29-10-2012, 19:29
From your post i understand that you do agree that it hard to make a two carrier item look good then?
It's not really hard, you only really need to make an additionnal rotation animation for when it turns on the spot (twisting the hips towards one side for the front guy and the other side for the back guy, and then have then perform a regular walking movement. To simplify, it's really just rotating the hips bones of the IK skeleton, it's very simple), but I can't think of anybody who bothered with it in a game. Some games do have "on the spot" rotation animations for big, long monsters (Skyrim or Vindictus dragons for instance), but usually they don't bother.

and yes there are flying buildings in warhammer but its always stated as something spectacular when there is, if you go to eversong every third building will have flying parts and no one ever comments on it, to them its just architecture.

flying stuff in warhammer is more like how Dalaran flew to northrend. or in the wastes its similar to the flying islands of outland.
Well, that used to be the case, but it seems it's changed. It's like monsters and sorcerers, they're all supposed to be rare sights, but we know how it is, you don't often see an army w/o a wizard, even in the fluff, regardless of what is said about their rarity. Well that's that anyway, times are changing, Tzeentch is happy :p

Not really; swap out the hideous (as in terrible sculpts) mutant models and that saves a load of plastic already, then make it a touch smaller so it'd be easier to have it function as a chariot by default. Ditch the spider-webby railings and that'll save some sprue space as well. Then ditch the front figurehead as the waste of space it is.

Of course, that's ignoring all the people who do like it, and there's quite a lot. I don't like it much myself (I don't find the mutants ideous though, I actually find them rather impressive for mere parts of a larger plastic kit), but I wouldn't be saying that it should be otherwise just because it pleases other people than me. As it is, it should be very easy to convert it and make two shrines out of it, so it's fine with me, all in all.

lybban
29-10-2012, 19:37

Really good idea actually!!!

decker_cky
29-10-2012, 20:43
And that Beastman were just left in the Stone Age ?

Beastmen being left in the stone age is actually cannon, with them sitting around being angry that things aren't as good as they once were (damn those humans!), so this front is well covered.

lbecks
31-10-2012, 02:42
It's disappointing to see the Warshrine only has 3 sprues compared to the 4 for other big kits (like the arachnarok). They could have put in a lot of extras.

m1acca1551
31-10-2012, 02:54
I'm wondereing if chaos knights will be able to fit on the seekers, pleasure knights of slannesh would have sold so much better than marauders riding daemon cav... i see interesting conversion work ahead!!

lbecks
31-10-2012, 03:10
I'm wondereing if chaos knights will be able to fit on the seekers, pleasure knights of slannesh would have sold so much better than marauders riding daemon cav... i see interesting conversion work ahead!!

The seekers are the same as the daemons one. So if you want knight legs it'll take some conversion work like cutting the knights' back saddle, filling in the inside of the legs, and sculpting the rest of the knees. You could probably also cut off the marauder riders' torsos since the legs are nicely armored.

m1acca1551
31-10-2012, 03:25
The seekers are the same as the daemons one. So if you want knight legs it'll take some conversion work like cutting the knights' back saddle, filling in the inside of the legs, and sculpting the rest of the knees. You could probably also cut off the marauder riders' torsos since the legs are nicely armored.

I may have to scrounge around the old bits box, farely certain i have some old slaneesh stuff in there, maybe...

Urgat
31-10-2012, 08:01
Aren't the steeds a tad small for chaos warriors?

ArtificerArmour
31-10-2012, 09:08
I think gw would be missing a trick not making rules for a unit on daemonic steeds for each power. But we're in the age of MODELS AT RELEASE OR GTFO for units. No room for conversion. No room for proper hobbying. So we get models for marauders on seekers. Which make no sence and could easily be mde from two existing kits anyway.

Darnok
31-10-2012, 09:31
Aren't the steeds a tad small for chaos warriors?

They are already too small for the marauders...

VenomBlood
31-10-2012, 09:34
Warshrine, marauders, crushers ....om nom nom nom

gotta catch 'em all

EDIT : Lol, why are those pole results are nonpublic? Those who woted against Skull Crushers show yer real names!

Lord Dan
02-11-2012, 02:25
EDIT : Lol, why are those pole results are nonpublic?
Let me answer your question with a quote:

Those who woted against Skull Crushers show yer real names!

VenomBlood
02-11-2012, 08:25
I have no idea of what you're talking about. 156689
Let's start it again.
Hello my name is Peter.

Dool3
07-11-2012, 01:56
Here it is!:D
sorry for the crappy photos
i will post really good ones when it is done being painted
this is made with only the two kits, nothing else
took about 8 hours or so, but well worth it!
enough talk, here it is!:chrome:

Tarliyn
07-11-2012, 05:07
Thats amazing. How hard was it to combine the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urgat
07-11-2012, 06:52
Not what I'd do, but it certainly works great regardless.

VenomBlood
07-11-2012, 08:32
Now I know what to do with unwanted new year's gift. Stonehorn is indeed do not look rediculous when with altar. Just spotted Dool3 you added a few tweaks to altar itself- well done, it looks like an actual kit.

Darnok
07-11-2012, 10:40

What an amazing result! I still do not like the altar kit itself, but that combination looks really good. Now if only it would not cost almost as much Euros as points to build it...

Dool3
07-11-2012, 13:01
Thanks a ton:)
the 2 kits fit together pretty well,
i just cut the body too far down and had to greenstuff the rest
the head was tricky, i had to greenstuff alot to get it to fit
chopping up the pole to fit the new warshrine top was hard.
anyways it was well worth the effort!

jerm20201
07-11-2012, 17:31
1) Skullcrushers are slightly disappointing to me as they are literally just Bloodcrusher Juggs with Chaos Knights attached and some Khorney bits. Personally I did buy the one click bundle and will indeed use Skullcrushers in my list, but they will be heavily converted so as to not look just like the knights.
2) Warshrine: I like it, just not with the paint job they gave it in the initial pics. The darker pics in WD are much better. Granted I already have a Warshrine and like it personally, I am planning on using the bits from this warshrine kit on many other models :)
3) Hellstriders: They're not horrible, again I'm using them mainly for bits and conversions.

Still can't wait for the new book and hopefully more new kits!!! Holding breath for awesome Chariot model!

AlphariusOmegon20
07-11-2012, 17:37
I think if the warshrine carriers were done in an eviler color it would have been better.

All the models seem fine to me, I'm just not looking forward to even more monster cav... quess I'll be breaking out the chukkas and doom divers...

I liked the Juggers but wasn't excited- the concept wasn't fresh to me as we have all seen this before in the main rule book. But I was happy that they didn't mess them up - good looking models and I want them for sure as I detest the current Chaos Knights (most awful models to rank up!).

The dudes on seekers...sad panda face! Boar Boy riders look so dynamic - these guys look a bit meh

The Warshrine - some REALLY strong concepts but for the life of me...why would a Khorne Alter be painted in his most hated rivals colors?!

Special characters turned out nice, excited to see them up close, and overall a good boost to the ranks of Warriors. What REALLY excites me is that this is just a splash release - meaing when the main book comes out there will be MORE kits! More kits = happy panda!!

I put "neutral" for the warshrine. I think it still has potential, it just suffers from a bad paint job.

I'm fine with the Skullcrushers and Hellstriders. The concept of the Helstriders is a bit strange that they have marauders on their backs instead of warriors, but I can work with it, because the models themselves do meet the standard of the rule of cool.

Xerkics
07-11-2012, 19:14
1) Skullcrushers are slightly disappointing to me as they are literally just Bloodcrusher Juggs with Chaos Knights attached and some Khorney bits. Personally I did buy the one click bundle and will indeed use Skullcrushers in my list, but they will be heavily converted so as to not look just like the knights.
2) Warshrine: I like it, just not with the paint job they gave it in the initial pics. The darker pics in WD are much better. Granted I already have a Warshrine and like it personally, I am planning on using the bits from this warshrine kit on many other models :)
3) Hellstriders: They're not horrible, again I'm using them mainly for bits and conversions.

Still can't wait for the new book and hopefully more new kits!!! Holding breath for awesome Chariot model!

Thats not true the juggernauts for skullcrushers different skulpts from what i can tell they are longer and poses/features are different. And Knigths themselves are closer to the khorne lord than the knights. So not really. Im very happy with the quality of the kit. Heads and weapons are much better than all the previous kits.

Haravikk
07-11-2012, 19:24
These, this is exactly the same kind kit GW should have actually produced, as the conversion looks great. It's just a shame you have to have a second kit to make it work, which is something GW could actually have designed but instead they went for a four-legged butt ogre. Anyway, great work on the conversion, the shrine looks much better like that and it's definitely worth the effort, I just hope you can find a use for the other bits :p

jerm20201
07-11-2012, 21:07
Thats not true the juggernauts for skullcrushers different skulpts from what i can tell they are longer and poses/features are different. And Knigths themselves are closer to the khorne lord than the knights. So not really. Im very happy with the quality of the kit. Heads and weapons are much better than all the previous kits.

That's your opinion. Regarding the Jugger Knights looking like the Khorne Lord more than the Knights? How so? The entire rider model is the exact same cut as the new Knights. The sprue is a torso, two legs, bent at the elbow arms, only difference is they have Khorne icons on them. Maybe I was just hoping for something more like the Khorne Lord on Jugg, as that model, while not modeled to look in motion, is still awesomely sculpted in his intimidating static pose like he just punch through a wall yelling, "OH YEAH!!!" I also have always prefered the older knights with cloaks, and the Khorne Lord on Jugg has a cloak as well which adds to his awesome factor.

I'm not saying they're horrible as much as I'm saying I'm underwhelmed.

shelfunit.
09-11-2012, 19:35

You have managed to turn 2 awful models into 1 rather good one. Good stuff.

Xerkics
09-11-2012, 20:20
That's your opinion. Regarding the Jugger Knights looking like the Khorne Lord more than the Knights? How so? The entire rider model is the exact same cut as the new Knights. The sprue is a torso, two legs, bent at the elbow arms, only difference is they have Khorne icons on them. Maybe I was just hoping for something more like the Khorne Lord on Jugg, as that model, while not modeled to look in motion, is still awesomely sculpted in his intimidating static pose like he just punch through a wall yelling, "OH YEAH!!!" I also have always prefered the older knights with cloaks, and the Khorne Lord on Jugg has a cloak as well which adds to his awesome factor.

I'm not saying they're horrible as much as I'm saying I'm underwhelmed.

My point is i bought my friend bloodcrushers kit before and although its similar looking they are not the same kits. Is what im saying tbh i wouldnt care if they did as i wanted knights on juggernauts so bad i almost started demons of chaos just for bloodcrushers but the rest of demon army is pretty bland so never went there. Go to the store and ask to see a skullcrusher kit you ll see what i mean. Lancers that knights have are **** the new ones are really nice. Overall kit is so much better and models fit a lot better together unlike knights.

Waagh Rider
09-11-2012, 22:58
I like 'em all and I'm gonna paint 'em all. So there.

Nesbet
03-12-2012, 13:22
Nice work Dool3! It seems pretty neat, scalewise included ;)