PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolf escalation league army help

Calith
25-10-2012, 11:16
Hi All

Not sure if this is the right place for it, if not I apologise and ask the mods if it can be moved, but me and some friends are trying out an escalation league to finally get motivated into painting some of our backlog of models and to learn the game again (none of us have played since 3rd edition)
I'm trying to put together a 500 point space wolf force based around harold deathwolf company increasing the limit till we get all our models painted and probably a "few" more brought as well
My main opponents are going to be a space marine army based on night lords, a vanilla space marine and an imperial guard
The models that I have in various states from painted, to still in wrapping is;
lord on wolf
6 thunder wolf cavalry
15 fenrisians wolves
60 grey wolves
15 terminators
15 long fangs
10 skyclaws
5 scouts
1 drop pod
1 land speeder
1 dreadnought
1 venerable dreadnought
ajac
njal
logan grimer
rangnar blackmane

any help or assistance for making a good 500 points starting point and how to increase it would be great.

Thanks

Ragnar69
25-10-2012, 13:18
Rune Priest, TDA, melta bombs 125 points
10 Grey Hunters, 2x plasma 160 Points
10 Grey Hunters, 2x melter 155 Points
Land Speeder, 2 heavy bolters 60 points

Next 250:
5 Long Fangs w/4 misile launcher 115 (add another one if points permit)
and then basically what you would like to paint, maybe a Cybot with Drop Pod or some Terminators as Pack Leaders or Lone Wolves

Calith
26-10-2012, 09:56
thanks very much for the help, so are missile launchers the only viable option for long fang set up?
are wolf scouts any good? I've got a unit I converted up I'm quite proud of but dont want to use them if they arent very good.

Ragnar69
26-10-2012, 12:24
Missile Launchers are cheap and versatile, I tend to replace one or two with lascannons in bigger games though. I wouldn't use shorter ranged weapons, maybe a single plasmacannon if you expect shooty deepstrikers.
If you want to take heavy bolters, you should also get a Bastion to make sure they have a good firing position, else they can often find themselves without valid targets.

Scouts are not the best choice, but not bad either. I wouldn't take them when playing ultra-competetively, but if your group is playing more relaxed they can do fine. They lost some punch as they can't charge when they arrive, but when armed with a melter, a plasma pistol and a WG with a combi, they can still reliably take out a vehicle. You don't have many other options of killing hidden artillery or heavy tanks keeping distance, so they still have their niche.
They could also be useful with flamers if your opponents likes to huddle behind an Aegis.