PDA

View Full Version : Need to help a friend with Empire

Lord Astral
14-05-2006, 18:30
I have a friend who plays Empire, but unfortunately is not very confident in his ability to make best use of the detachment rule and thus treats it as if it is a useless rule. I was just wondering if someone could post the merits of detachments, and some particularly effective detachment builds for him to make use of.

I myself am fully aware that the rule has a lot of potential in battle and does make a substantial difference tactically between the way empire plays its infantry compared to other armies, but I figure that I can get my friend to listen properly if I was backed up by some evidence from the (experienced or not) generals out there on this forum.

Many thanks.

Neknoh
14-05-2006, 20:02
Not an empire player myself, however, I always make it a point to utterly crush detatchments before throwing myself at the main unit, why? Simply because a block of 10 Hallberdiers into the flank when fighting Swordsmen is never nice, especially when you face a stand and Shoot from a minimal unit of Handgunners as well when you charge in.

Seriusly, the Detatchment rules makes the imperial hafbad infantryblocks into something that can win combat easely aggainst most other units (unless wer're talking Chosen of Khorne).

alextroy
14-05-2006, 22:19
There is an excellent article on how to use Empire detachments at http://www.warhammer-empire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=78&Itemid=43

Alextroy

Bortus
16-05-2006, 00:34
Maybe your friend should buy the army book? Seems logical to me. Personally I love my Empire army and detatchments are a big deal if you want to be effective in hand to hand. He could play a shooty army or all cavalry but I think it's pretty darned cool to see lots of blocks of troops on the game board not to mention the theme of the army in the first place. Oh and yup like Neknoh said Halberdiers attatched to Swordsmen are tought to beat. Hey, let's not forget about Free Company which make excellent detatchments. Ok, Str. 3 ain't so hot but to attacks a piece comes in real handy when flanking or screening which is what I usually use them or Archers for. What exactly does your friend us if not detatchments?

ashc
16-05-2006, 10:00
Being one of the defining rules of the Empire army your friend is missing out big by not using them; a free round of shooting from handgunners or an immediate flank charge is just nasty.

Ash

Lord Astral
16-05-2006, 11:38
In response to what he uses without them, he simply does not attach other units to his parent sized units, as he reckons that it's "too easy to see throught them" and that they are too fragile to shooting or being charged, to which I said that it would probably benefit him being charged in the detachments as much as it would benefit him being charged in his parent units through some clever unit placement.

Whenever I do things like link him to tactica he scoffs and says he knows all of their merits but still would just rather ignore the rule.

ashc
16-05-2006, 11:43
well then more the fool him i say.

Ash

Revlid
16-05-2006, 12:27
Agreed. Detachments are one of the Empire's biggest advantages. I would give blood to have that rule for some of my other armies...

Lord Astral
16-05-2006, 15:31
Can anyone think of any instances in which the detachment rule has made a big impact in any of your battles?

Neknoh
16-05-2006, 19:50
You mean appart from flanking my Chosen Warriors and winning the battle? Or that time when two Handgunner detatchments gunned down a unit of Knights?

Perhaps he wants to know of the time when I charged a detatchment to get rid of it, and, in doing so, overrunning straight in front of his Hellblaster with my Mounted Nettes?

hiemrot
16-05-2006, 20:47
Yeh if the detachment rule had been properly implemented it could have stoped a rather punny litte unit of 10 grave gaurd dessimating over twice there points. Its a shame I made rather poor use of the rest of my army but oh well. Although I have never used a empire army I can't see why the rule is usless atall. In fact, at a glance, it apears to be one of the games more prominant rules.