PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Emperor, Death to his Foes! My preheresy Emperorīs Children Log

SacredBoltgun
27-10-2012, 23:18
Hey guys,

since i startet this great hobby i was allways fascinated by the pre heresy Emperorīs Children. The quest for perfection, the colour sheme and everything around them is just awesome.

So when Betrayal finally arrived i could start to realise my hobbydream. My Emperorīs Children army.

Firstly, what can you expect to see in the next few month?

Here is the army list

33rd Company, 7th Cohort, 4th Millenial, III Legion Emperorīs Children

HQ:
Captain Armatus Caevon, Captain of the 33rd Company
Centurio w Cataphractii Armour, Thunder Hammer and Combi-Plasma
=102p.

Elite:
Legion Terminator Squad I
1 Terminator w Cataphractii Armour, Power Axe and Combi-Plasma
2 Terminators w Cataphractii Armour, Power Axe and Combi Bolter
1 Terminator w Cataphractii Armour, Power Axe and Plasma Blaster
1 Sarg w Cataphractii Armour, Grenade Harness, Power Axe and Combi-Plasma
=214p.

Legion Apothecarii Detachment
2x Legion Apothecary w Augury Scanner
=100p.

Standard:
Legion Tactical Squad I
19 Astartes w Bolter
1 Sarg w Bolter, Melta-Bombs and Artificer Armour
=265p.

Legion Tactical Squad II
19 Astartes w Bolter
=265p.

Legion Tactical Squad III
9 Astartes w Bolter
+Rhino
=200p.

Legion Tactical Squad IV
9 Astartes w Bolter
+Rhino
=200p.

Heavy Support:
Legion Heavy Support Squad I
6 Astartes w Missile Launcher
1 Sarg w Missile Launcher and Augury Scanner and Artificer Armour
+ additional Flakk Missiles
=275p.

Legion Predator Squadron I
1 Predator w Lascannon Sponsons
=125p.

all in all: 1746p.

That are
6 Cataphractii Termis
60 Boltgun Marines
2 Apothecarys
7 Devastors w Missile Launcher
All FW Stuff
and then 2 Rhinos and a Predator from GW(cause i have them lying around here.

Here is my test dummy for the purple

here are the first 5 boltermarines

here are my 60+ Boltguns i need for this force(as you can see i realy love boltguns)

and tomorow i will show you the first 5 Marines fully paintet.

I already made my second fw order containing
8x legion mk IV kit
2x legion mk III kit
1x Apothecarii kit
2x Cataphractii kit w all weapon options
EC shoulder pads
and some more ammo packs and bolt pistols

Here is my work for the next weeks

So i hope you will enjoy what i do here=)

Cheers

SacredBoltgun

shaw3029
27-10-2012, 23:31
Nice start! From what I can see in the pic it looks very close to the Forge World scheme, nice and metallic.

SacredBoltgun
27-10-2012, 23:48
Thanks shaw,

nice that you like it so far. I tried so long with differend purple shemes until i achieved one that looks nearly 1:1 like the Betrayal EC Sheme. My damn mobile phone camera is not the best. If you could see the mini you would see that it is nearly the same=) nice that you noticed it=)

superdupermatt
28-10-2012, 00:17
SHUT UP AND TELL ME THE RECIPE!

Pretty please :)

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 00:30
:D

As you wish sir!

Its a 2:1 Mix 2 Parts Vallejo Extra Opague Heavy Violet and 1 Part Army Painter Plate Mail Metal. Afterwards just a good wash with GW Shade Druchii Violet. Im happy that you like it so much=)

The good thing is it looks almost exactly like the sheme in betrayal. Its simple but i experimentet almost a day for it^^

Cheers

Boltgun

superdupermatt
28-10-2012, 00:47
Yeah I like it how it closely resembles betrayal also. I am a subscriber. Get painting! Andale!

Gorthaur
28-10-2012, 01:04
That purple looks really close to the art, good job!

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 01:14
Superdupermatt: Thanks you make me happy=) today in the evening, the first 5 Emperorīs Children will be battle ready!

Gorthaur: Thanks a lot sir!

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 01:25

Testmarine is done, i think the metal and the gold are fine. what do you say?

Inquisitor Engel
28-10-2012, 07:12
A very nice purple!

I think the metal and gold are great, but the seams for the armour seem ill-defined because they're all purple. A black wash along the armour joints (or a black-line pen if you prefer the comic-book-look) would go a long way to making it stand out a little more.

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 09:11
Yes, i agree with you Inquisitior Engel, but rember, this guy was just the test dummy for the colours, in the final result parts more parts of the backpack are metal and the armour joints will be washed w black.

Glad you like it. iīm thinking about making the gold a bit brighter...

Sqallum
28-10-2012, 10:42
I love it! It resembles the colour scheme exactly. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 11:15
Thanks alot. Tonight you will see this first 5 done=)

superdupermatt
28-10-2012, 11:28
The betrayal book indicates a very faded light gold more than a bright full gold, so keep that in mind!

Are you free handing the symbols?

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 12:12
Hey matt, yes i changed the gold and made it more faded light. Thanks for noticing.

Yes, all Legion Symbols will be free handed, exept for the sergeants who will get a FW EC Shoulder Pad each.

kublai
28-10-2012, 14:57
Nice ! :D

The first model looks fantastic SacredBoltgun ! Subscribed.

Will you put an eagle on his chest ?

How is the FW stuff quality wisw so far ? Heard a lot of horror stories about their quality controll. I once got some terrible castings from them.

One plea. Could you post bigger pics, I hate clicking on them :) Of course only if it is not to much a trouble.

Cheers and keep it up !

baphomael
28-10-2012, 16:43
Nice ! :D

How is the FW stuff quality wisw so far ? Heard a lot of horror stories about their quality controll. I once got some terrible castings from them.

One plea. Could you post bigger pics, I hate clicking on them :) Of course only if it is not to much a trouble.

Cheers and keep it up !

I've always found FW's quality to be generally quite high, I've rarely had any problems in that regard. On the couple of occasions there has been something up a quick phone call gets it sorted out. Their customer service cant really be faulted in that regard.

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 17:12
Nice !

One plea. Could you post bigger pics, I hate clicking on them Of course only if it is not to much a trouble.

Cheers and keep it up !

Hey Kublai,

iīm realy pleased that you like it. And iīm happy to have subscribers=)

About the Eagles: If there is some Space, they will get an eagle. Thatfully in Betrayal, also not all of the Children bear the eagle. But if there is a chest or a pauldron with space, definitly.

About the FW Quality: I am very pleased with the FW quality. The 5 guys iīm workin on at the moment where kompletely free from miscasts and stuff like that. Took only 2 mins to clean them. Quite awesome. The only time i had a complain was when fw used the finecast stuff. This is terrible. But the darkgrey FW resin is always good quality(for me).

I see it like baphomael, FW quality is quite high in my opinion.

Cheers,

Boltgun

Brother Garrod
28-10-2012, 17:19
very nice , i'll be following this one :)

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 18:52
Thats great news Brother Garrod.

Good News fellas, the first 5 EC are nearly done, just final washes and drying and then there will be some pictures=)

Pappa
28-10-2012, 19:41
Looks very nice and promising SB.
I'm awaiting my book and some bolters right now, and your things makes it easyer to wait.

Great inspiration!
Keep'em coming!

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 21:14
1. THANK YOU all for the 5 star rating oO Like a dream comes true

2. @Pappa: That is a great compliment, thank you very much sir!

3. The first 5 Astartes are done(exept for boltguns and heraldic and bases.)

The problem is that i canīt get the right light in this room and with my mobil phone camera. But i will try to find a better suited room for it, but anyway, here is the teaser for the 5 Tacs.

I realy hope you like him, in in reality, the purple is a bit darker=)

Cheers

Boltgun

kublai
28-10-2012, 22:41
Nice so far ! You could do some stronger highlights to make them "pop" more, but this is a matter of taste. I think your purple tone is exactly right.

What plans do you have regarding the bases ?

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 22:50
Hey kublai,

a complement from you means a lot to me, thank you for that=)

About the highlights, the funny thing is that thanks to the silver mix in the purple the color is reflecting the light realy strong, i guess thats whats given my cellphone cam such a hard time, and so there is a natural highlighting wich i prefer. Sadly you canīt see it so good, but iīll hope that changes tomorow.

About the bases.... hmmm, i have no real idea right now and any ideas are realy apprecheated, atm i have a yellow/browny desert sheme in my Mind.

TimLeeson
28-10-2012, 22:55
i don't have the money for horus heresy type marine armies myself, so seeing other peoples work like this is great! Look forward to seeing more progress on this army. Hope you do some emperors children caraphractii's too.

kublai
28-10-2012, 23:07
Now this base buisness is a tricky thing. I would be carefull with brown bases and a purple main colour.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa101/khorngor/karol/test.png

If you have a look at this colour combinations, i think it is fair to say that brown purple looks not very good. But again thats all a matter of taste basicaly. I just want to give some food for thought.

One also has to consider what you want to be the theme. A Istvan destroyed city theme would look cool with purple and light or dark grey rubble with some brownish washes maybe.

I would suggest to make some test bases.

SacredBoltgun
28-10-2012, 23:24
I am gratefull for every opinion, every thougt that helps me improve my work. Yes i agree a "City theme" would be great. Since i want my company to be shown in the last few years bevor the HH, with a city theme a can make them pre Istvaan and during Istvaan. Realy good idea kublai. Thanks!

@TimLeeson: Thanks man! Yes i allready ordered 10 Cataphractii Termis

Cheers

kublai
29-10-2012, 00:25
Oh, Im looking forward to see those Cataphractii Termis, wonderful models.

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 00:45
UPDATE:

Every Marine bears now prodly his Legion Symbol and the III for IIIrd Legion Astartes

Gorthaur
29-10-2012, 02:03
They are looking good, the paint on the legion symbols looks a tad thick though, and the III logos dont look very clear. If you used a gold color on those legion symbols, I would reccomend instead mixing a color like iyanden darksun and shining gold with some water, and if that is too bright/gold add a 3rd color. This mix would get sharper and better coverage. But because the armor has a metallic glare its somewhat hard to tell. I know DPA had a good guide in his Emperor's Children thread on how to do a simple EC symbol. And I think grey rubble bases would look decent or at least better than brown.

And one more thing, it looks like you painted the faceplate completely gold, even the 6 vents on the facemask...I would thin some chaos black and paint into those. Again, they look good but I dont know how much time/effort you want to spend on these models and it looks like your going for a big force, judging by all those bolters :P

-cheers

kublai
29-10-2012, 02:14
They are looking good, the paint on the legion symbols looks a tad thick though, and the III logos dont look very clear. If you used a gold color on those legion symbols, I would reccomend instead mixing a color like iyanden darksun and shining gold with some water, and if that is too bright/gold add a 3rd color. This mix would get sharper and better coverage. But because the armor has a metallic glare its somewhat hard to tell. I know DPA had a good guide in his Emperor's Children thread on how to do a simple EC symbol. And I think grey rubble bases would look decent or at least better than brown.

And one more thing, it looks like you painted the faceplate completely gold, even the 6 vents on the facemask...I would thin some chaos black and paint into those. Again, they look good but I dont know how much time/effort you want to spend on these models and it looks like your going for a big force, judging by all those bolters :P
-cheers

Thats some good advice right there !

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 02:34
Thats some great advices, thanks gorthaur.

I took some hopefully better Pics from the Legion Symbols and Numbers. I have admit, these are my first freehand Chapter Symbols. So donīt be too hard on me xD

And yes because itīs goin to be a big force lot (over 60 power armoured astartes), my goal for them is solid tapletop standard. I realy happy with how they turned out, but first thing in the mornig i will paint the vents on the facemask black. And ill look what i can do to improve the symbols while not ruining them=)

kublai
29-10-2012, 02:49
For your first freehands, they are not bad. The pics are not that much better though. Maybe tomorrow with some daylight.

It basicly comes down to what Gorthaur has said: " I dont know how much time/effort you want to spend on these models"

I know how hard free hand stuff is (Im quite bad at it), but with time and practise you could surely improve a lot. Have you thought about the shoulder pads from FW. I know this is expensive, but would save you a lot of time and frustration. You would also ensure a coherent look. The other way to go are decals. I know FW does not do any for EC at the moment, but they will certainly in the future.

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 02:55
Hey,

yes the FW EC Shoulder Pads will be used but only for sergeants. To helb them shine out of the mass of boltermarines or missle launcher guys. I realy donīt Like decals, so ill stick to freehand. I edited the post abouve to give an statement to how much time/effort....

In the morning i will take a second look at the symbols, and probably remove all the III. But not so shure about that, because when i look at them now iīm realy happy with them, but gorthaurs Idea with mixing yellow and gold is a good idea.

Now iīm off to bed, thank you both for so much ideas and construktive critisim! I realy apprecheaded it! Also i will start working on the next 5 Taks and give the "finished" fire the bolters to make them happy=)

kublai
29-10-2012, 03:02
Thats a great idea regarding the sergeants. Will help them stand out.

If you are happy with them as they are, than everthing is good man ;) You should be the only guidline for your hobby !

I hate decals too :) But I will give them another shot in the future, I have been told there are some great products which make using them nice and easy, and help them to blend into the mini very smoothly.

Don't be encouraged. You have started a very nice thing here, and I want to see it finished :evilgrin:

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 03:07
donīt worry, my entire tabletop hobby is now completly focused on my Emperorīs Children. Until the end of November i want to have 10 Tactical Marines and the 7 Heavy Support Marines ready to go=). But like i said, i will see what i can do to improve it=)

Pappa
29-10-2012, 09:00
Coming out fine!
I suck at freehand so who am I to give advice?
(But I guess when your at the 35-40th marine you'll be good at it ;), and want to redo all the old ones.)

I like the citybase idear. Even if you have a base of grey/white you can always ad couler to brick and wallsections
to get some other effect.

Good luck!

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 11:14
Hey Pappa,

Thanks, the idea with the wallsections and stuff like that is realy great!

I have overpaintet all the Legion Symbols and will redo them.

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 12:56
Quick Update for some Pics with daylight=)

kublai
29-10-2012, 13:04
They look much better in daylight.

Here is a simple but effective tutorial for EC free hands: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=133345&st=50

Hope it helps !

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 13:16
Thanks, yes daylight is a blessing^^

Thanks, i will use exactly that tutorial, found it yesterday evening in the world wide web, i think its from master DPA. Hope i can do him justice.

Thanks for all your support kublai!

Pappa
29-10-2012, 19:41
Wow.
What a difference some good sunlight does.
The colour looks so good. (But as always it looks better in real life)

Good luck on the new symbols.

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 20:11
15643415643515643615643715643815643915644015644115 6442

Some Macroshots and the newly painted Legion Symbol

Thanks again Pappa!

beef5570
29-10-2012, 20:42
Nice looking army man, or it will be when you finish, lol.
Just out of interest how much will the Forgeworld stuff cost you in total?
Rob

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 21:28
Hey Beef. All in all will the 1750p. List cost about 490 pounds.

Glad you like them=)

DPA
29-10-2012, 21:43
Looking good mate, keep it up. :)

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 22:07
Thats what i was waiting to hear :D

You my dear DPA are my inspiration and the reason why i had the idea of painting an pre heresy EC force in the begining. Betrayal was just the final push=)

That you like them means a lot to me. Thanks mate!

unwanted
29-10-2012, 23:43
Impressive... Most impressive.

kublai
29-10-2012, 23:46
The symbole looks much better now ! Good work ;)

SacredBoltgun
29-10-2012, 23:56
Thanks kublai =) Btw, would love to see some new Fire Angels=)

Iīm working on the Boltguns right now=)

SacredBoltgun
31-10-2012, 15:30
Hey guys,

a quick update. Startet working on the next 5 MK II Astartes and my huge FW Order(over 10x Legion MK Sets) is finaly in germany and ill have it tonight or tomorrow. So stay tuned for some Cataphractii and Legion MK Marines=)

Cheers

SacredBoltgun

zxyogi
31-10-2012, 18:19
These are looking sweet!!
Keep the coming!!
:)

SacredBoltgun
31-10-2012, 18:20
Donīt worry, i will. Look what i just got:

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5567-a6002a7e.jpg

Brother Nidus
31-10-2012, 20:03
:eek::eek::eek:

Words for the Word God

Nidus

Brother Garrod
31-10-2012, 23:53
sweet christmas thats a lot of marines :o

SacredBoltgun
01-11-2012, 01:36
Enoug parts for 50 Tactical Marines. Inkluding Boltguns, Bolt Pistols and Amunition Packs. And 10 Cataphractiis.

Brother Garrod
01-11-2012, 02:31
i have my first 5 cataphracts coming today or tomorrow , looking forwards to seeing how yours come along

SacredBoltgun
01-11-2012, 02:39
The Kit is absolutely beatiful! Great work from Forge World. And the Legion MK IV Sets are incredible.

Brother Garrod
01-11-2012, 03:04
havent gotten my hands on the new legion versions yet , but if they anything like the previous mks 2-6 they'll find a home with my night lords , speaking of which , been working on power armour recon marines with sniper rifles , looks very strange lol

SacredBoltgun
01-11-2012, 03:43
You will get used to it^^ i waited long for the recon marines, finaly they are there... and i donīt have them in my army list-.-

SacredBoltgun
02-11-2012, 17:32

wip cataphractii =)

superdupermatt
02-11-2012, 17:51
Ooooooooooooooooo

SultanGrayus
02-11-2012, 22:54
evening boltgun! looking at your recipe for these EC (brilliantly painted btw), did you use an airbrush or brush paint them? also what gold and silver did you use as the pigment looks a lot stronger than anything GW produce. as an aside, yours and DPAs EC are genuinely my favourite Pre heresy EC i've seen... can't wait to see the rest of the army

Fizzy
02-11-2012, 23:41
Started a 1500pts army myself with Saul Tarvitz as HQ.

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 00:37
evening boltgun! looking at your recipe for these EC (brilliantly painted btw), did you use an airbrush or brush paint them? also what gold and silver did you use as the pigment looks a lot stronger than anything GW produce. as an aside, yours and DPAs EC are genuinely my favourite Pre heresy EC i've seen... can't wait to see the rest of the army

Hey SultanGrayus, thanks for the huge compliment, i realy appreceate it! I will try to keep up with my good speed and paint the cataphractii termis tomorrow, finish them at the moment.

The Silver is Plate Mail Metal from Armypainter(I used it also in the purple mix)

The Gold is 1:1 Mix Vallejo Game Colour Glorious Gold and AP Plate Mail Metal, washed with Army Painter Strong Tone Ink.

Oh and i brushpainted them. I own an airbrush, but crazy as i am i like brushpainting much more=)

Hope you stick around=)

Cheers Boltgun

@ Fizzy: Thats great news, you are an incredible painter. Love your WE and your entire school project log!

Fizzy
03-11-2012, 00:51
Thanks man :) I love your purple.

As you may be better than me about EC. Should I paint the symbol on the shoulder pad gold or yellowish?

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 01:06
Thank you sir, coming from is a big compliment=)

First i painted the symbol golden, like in betrayal, but it was biting with the golden trims, so i mixed a 1:1 Gold:Yellow Mix and so mine has a bit of both=)

Fizzy
03-11-2012, 01:36
Hmm I might try going from brown to yellow. I got the FW shoulder pads :)

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 01:46
Hmm I might try going from brown to yellow. I got the FW shoulder pads :)

That should work well! I only use the FW Shoulder Pads for Sergeants as a sign of rank=) so i have to stick to mostly freehand=)

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 03:11
http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5580-c31a0772.jpg

They are done=)

To do list for tomorrow:

Paint the Cataphractii
Build the Legion Centurio(Captain) and of course paint him
Build 1 Legion MK IV Kit
Paint 10 Boltguns for the first 10 Astartes
And make pictures for you from all that stuff=)

Cheers

Boltgun

Brother Garrod
03-11-2012, 03:38
very nice , im just behind you :P building my cataphractii tommorow , only problem is , cant use all of the fancy toys , since its going to double as a standard 40k terminator squad :p
an idea you may want to consider , is the polearm from the red scorpions librarian honour guard , i think it'd look really nice for big E's children :)

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 12:15
That is a perfect idea brother garrod! I have one laying arround i thing, this will be the thunder hammer for my captain!

kublai
03-11-2012, 13:31
WOW i love those cata ...... models ! Paint them !:D

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 18:33
Yes the Cataphractii are so sweet!

Today was glueday, and so far this is done=)

Meet Captain Armatus Caevon of the 33rd Company and the 33rd`s 1st Squad:

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5585-048d4de7.jpg

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5586-48e502e1.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5582-60f80511.jpg

Brother Garrod
03-11-2012, 18:39
oh , lucky you had one lying around xD
that really does work quite well , especially with the eagle motif :)
Do think he needs a little more to mark him out as a captain though , although im not sure how you'd go about it , a cloak of some kind maybe ?

kublai
03-11-2012, 19:03
Captain Armatus Caevon looks very nice man. Does the power axe come with the Cataphractii weapon set ?

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 19:15
Hey Garrod. If you would live in germany i would send you quickly the other axe, but shipping to england for one tiny axe is much to expensive=(.

I like him the way he is and i will not mark him further out because we have to think here in a bigger Scale. A Captain of a Legion was one of hundrets if not one of more than a thouand. They were the simple plain line officers. Even in a legion like the emperorīs children the line officers where not that fancy, look at lucius and tarvitz.

But his terminator armour will be more golden than the armour of the other terminatos.

@ Kublai: Thanks kublai=). No the Axe is part of the Red Scorpions Honour Guard Kit.

Brother Garrod
03-11-2012, 19:46
Ah , you raise a good point , maybe a slighty fancier paint job than the other terminators then , bit more gold than the others ?
as for the other axe , save it for a standard bearer or something :p could even get more and use them as legion specific weapons

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 20:16
Ah , you raise a good point , maybe a slighty fancier paint job than the other terminators then , bit more gold than the others ?
as for the other axe , save it for a standard bearer or something :p could even get more and use them as legion specific weapons

Yes, that is what iīm goin to do. I paint his armour more golden than the rest.

The other axe will be for him in his MK IV Power Armour: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_MkIV_COMMAND_SET.html ^^

Brother Garrod
03-11-2012, 20:50
any plans to do the palatine blade squad ?

SacredBoltgun
03-11-2012, 21:18
At the moment not. Because when the 1750p. List is done i will add a Storm Eagle to reach 2k points and then start the next Legion, the Iron Hands. My goal at the moment is to have a playable 2000p. List for both Emperorīs Children and Iron Hands.

Petay1985
03-11-2012, 21:29
simply wonderful work fella, the Captain oozes character without being over-stated, very well executed. looking forward to seeing some paint on him and the other cataphractii for that matter! keep up the good work, your log is a pleasure to view.

SultanGrayus
03-11-2012, 22:46

Yes, that is what iīm goin to do. I paint his armour more golden than the rest.

The other axe will be for him in his MK IV Power Armour: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPACE_MARINE_MkIV_COMMAND_SET.html ^^

how about painting his helmet white? Now i've chucked ALL my PH EC in dettol and removing the paint to start again, I plan on using a cannibalised version of the FW painting guide and having seen some of the PH EC at Games Day this year the white really does look good. Keep 'em coming mate, really good inspiration for my own :)

SacredBoltgun
04-11-2012, 00:06
@ Petay1985: Thank you so much for that great compliment, i will do my best to bring you nice picture after nice picture!

Tonight i finish building the 5 Legion MK IV Marines and paint the Cataphractii tomorrow! My Girlfriend kept me a bit occupied today so there was no big paintsession wich i had planned.

@SultanGrayus: I postet on your log=)

About the white: White is the colour i completely reserve for my Apothecarys. Iīm realy jealous that you were at games day uk this year. Games day in germany is always nice, but nothing in comparision to the uk games day.
Iīm looking so forward to see some more of your new beautiful ECīs mate!

Cheers

Boltgun

Brother Garrod
04-11-2012, 00:55
well its not a white so much as a pearl like colour , not sure how you could go about that though ..

really looking forwards to seeing your take on the cataphracts though , havent actually seen any of those painted up in EC colours yet

Gorthaur
04-11-2012, 01:18
The white in betrayal looks metallic to me, just add some chainmail to skull white and see how that works.

SacredBoltgun
04-11-2012, 13:40
UPDATE:

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5601-54861fd6.jpg

Oh and the basecoat of the Catas is drying, and i wil start the paintprocess soon=)

SacredBoltgun
04-11-2012, 16:29
Hey guys,

i need your help!

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5602-ec42361e.jpg

obviosly very WIP, but the Leatherparts(Schoulders and between the legs) wich colour?

1. Leather(a browntone)
2. Red
3. Black

???

Gorthaur
04-11-2012, 17:07
I would do them black, since the pteruges in the book are black, but highlighting would be necessary for that to look good.

kublai
04-11-2012, 17:08
Hm..... a very light bone color, gold or black. I would not go for brown. Red could look very nice, but thats a tricky one in combination with purple !

What about white or yellow ?

Brother Garrod
04-11-2012, 17:50
definately a shiny black leather look for those
any other legion id suggest brown , but the colour wouldnt work with that purple

SultanGrayus
04-11-2012, 20:08
I would do them black, since the pteruges in the book are black, but highlighting would be necessary for that to look good.

i'd say black as well mate. i tried red with mine and i don't think it worked...

Brother Garrod
04-11-2012, 20:15
maybe use a gloss varnish for them once painted black ? might bring out the polished leather look a bit better than highlights could

LordKhaine
04-11-2012, 20:19
i would of sed red, with them being emperors children and all about looking the best, red is a very royal lookin colour, a nice vibrant red, would contrast well with the purple and eventual gold

SultanGrayus
04-11-2012, 20:30
i would of sed red, with them being emperors children and all about looking the best, red is a very royal lookin colour, a nice vibrant red, would contrast well with the purple and eventual gold

if you want to see what red looks like, i'm sure i have my EC cataphractii terminators in my thread. although shoddily painted and now in dettol to start again it may give you an idea what it looks like

Gorthaur
04-11-2012, 20:31
Gloss may make the model look overly shiny, you have a shiny armor and trim so be careful not to overwhelm the models with shiny. Red Pteruges can work on EC but usually ony if the purple is darker and matte.

SultanGrayus
04-11-2012, 20:33
here is the pic mate

, http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8047/8091021911_59bc991d64.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/88666342@N02/8091021911/)Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/88666342@N02/8091021911/) by SultanGrayus (http://www.flickr.com/people/88666342@N02/), on Flickr

Brother Garrod
04-11-2012, 23:03
Gloss may make the model look overly shiny, you have a shiny armor and trim so be careful not to overwhelm the models with shiny. Red Pteruges can work on EC but usually ony if the purple is darker and matte.
i meant just gloss on the black pteruges , to make them appear to be polished leather :p

sigur
05-11-2012, 11:08
Hey, I found a link to your plog in kublai's thread and thought I'd pop in.

The red you chose goes remarkably well with the purple armour. :) I like them. This army's off to a very good start. Also: What the heck? 5 pages already? :D It never ceases to amaze me how popular this pre-heresy stuff is.

Brother Nidus
05-11-2012, 12:28
As a fellow Emperor's children painter I recommend red as your spot colour.

It works well for the plumes on the sergeant helmets (really wishing they start selling them properly now) and is far more striking and ostentatious than either brown or black, perfect for the Veterans of the III Legion! :)

Great plog BTW. It really has inspired me to start painting my EC.

Nidus

SacredBoltgun
05-11-2012, 13:53
@ Sigur: Oh im glad you like them. You are one of my most favorite painters=)

@ Brother Nidus: Im glad you like it and that i inspired you to paint your children. Glory to the III Legion!

I made my desicion about the colour and it will be black. White is reserved for the Apos and the Helm plumes(yes iīm also waiting for the comand upgrade kit).

Look forward to see some Pics of him tonight=)

Siph
05-11-2012, 16:24
I would have said Bone colour, but the Red looks great, what about a "half and half" red/leather solution. Scab Red with a Badab Black/Nuln Oil wash looks like red leather really simply done. With gold studs to tie in with the gold trim etc.

DPA
05-11-2012, 16:33
I went with red too on my Contemptor and Command Squad, good choice. ;)

SacredBoltgun
05-11-2012, 22:29
your contemptor blew my mind. It would be a great joy for me too see your Children and other awesome marine stuff once in reality DPA, i would be one happy fella =)

To all of you, thanks for all the great opinions and ideas. I went with blackgrey because red was biting with my metallic purple sheme.

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5619-b793868c.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5621-2ce9e013.jpg

Still WIP and the lighning in my room is too brigt(damn you winter for making it so early extremely dark -.-)

still need to do all the golden parts, highlights on the blackgrey, the eyes and the plum. still hopeyou like this preview

Gorthaur
06-11-2012, 03:01
Lookin good I quite like that axe. The black is looking good so far. Heres a thread I found with good Emperor's Children that have red pteruges just for the sake of it.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=261878

His are a darker purple and more of a dark purple purple closer to blue on the color wheel which is why the red looks good on them I think.

SacredBoltgun
06-11-2012, 14:01
http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5630-46563ac7.jpg

Itīs time for a daylight pic. Iīm working on him right now, so sorry for the delay, the week was so far more stressfull then i thought!

SultanGrayus
06-11-2012, 16:18
http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5630-46563ac7.jpg

Itīs time for a daylight pic. Iīm working on him right now, so sorry for the delay, the week was so far more stressfull then i thought!

in daylight you can see the metallic look a lot better. I really like it mate, the change in weapon is seamless so keep up the good work and keep posting them pics!

SacredBoltgun
06-11-2012, 19:48
He is getting ready for battle!

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5645-a1de63fc.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5646-1f702305.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5647-c1afa471.jpg

Hope you like him so far =)

superdupermatt
06-11-2012, 19:59
Looking good! What gold is it?

SacredBoltgun
06-11-2012, 20:02
Glad you like him=)

Gold is 2:1 Mix VGC Glorious Gold and AP Plate Mail Metal washed with GW Agrax Earthshade

Gorthaur
06-11-2012, 20:08
That gold is quite rich, I would consider lavishing some extra detail on this guy if I were you. You could paint all the studs on the purple parts of the armor and Pteruges with a silver..kind of like Betrayal.

SultanGrayus
06-11-2012, 20:18
are you leaving the entire torso gold or are you just picking out the edging?

kublai
06-11-2012, 21:40
Gold is 2:1 Mix VGC Glorious Gold and AP Plate Mail Metal washed with GW Agrax Earthshade

WOW that gold looks really nice ! Great mixture SacredBoltgun.

SacredBoltgun
06-11-2012, 21:47
Tomorow i will make daylight pics of him.

@Gorthaur: Yes, i will make some more details of him, but i want him to be far more "golden" than the rest, because he is the boss. Only of a Company in a huge Legion, but still a Captain in the Emperorīs Children Legion=)

@Kublai: Iīm allways happy when you like my work=)

unwanted
06-11-2012, 22:26
*Insert expletives*

These are amazingly well-painted, and look suitably blinged out while still looking battleworthy, rather than parade-ground.

SacredBoltgun
06-11-2012, 23:26
Hey unwanted, thanks alot sir!

I tried to bring in them this exact moment to live when they start the battle, the just jumped out of some Rhinos, Land Raider and so on and just are about to fire the first few rounds or have done that allready and now walk to war and glory and perfection(from the ECīs point of view). Realy nice that you could see that in them.

A small and no paintupdate, that will come tomorow with the finished Captain and the start of the terminators. Here is my redone Legion List, because my gaming group decided to scal things down so that we could all play with painted armys sooner, so here is my 1500p. List.

33rd Company, 7th Cohort, 4th Millenial, III Legion Emperorīs Children

HQ:
Captain Armatus Caevon, Captain of the 33rd Company
w Cataphractii Armour, Thunder Hammer and Combi-Plasma
=102p.

ELITE:
Cataphractii Terminator Squad Jaerin
3 Cataphractii w Power Axe and Combi-Bolter
1 Cataphractii w Power Axe and Plasma-Blaster
1 Sergeant Jaerin w Power Axe and Combi-Plasma
=197p.

TROOPS:
Tactical Squad Eridel
18 Astartes w Boltgun
1 Astartes w Boltgun and Vexallia
1 Sergeant Eridel w Boltgun, Artificer Armour and Melta Bombs
=275p.

Tactical Squad Daros
8 Astartes w Boltgun
1 Astartes w Boltgun and Vexallia
1 Sergeant Daros w Boltgun, Artificer Armour and Melta Bombs
+ Rhino
=210p.

Tactical Squad Usaein
8 Astartes w Boltgun
1 Astartes w Boltguns and Vexallia
1 Sergeant Uasein w Boltgun, Artificer Armour and Melta Bombs
+ Rhino
=210p.

ASSAULT:
Storm Eagle Gunship Wing of Chemos
w Twin linked Multi Melta and 4 Hellstrike Missiles
=245p.

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Legion Predator Perfectionīs Strike
1 Predator w Twin linked Lascannon Sponsons
=125p.

Legion Vindicator Emperorīs Wrath
1 Vindicator w Laser Destroyer Array
=130p.

1494p.

Its mostly the same only that i have to paint "only" 40 Tacticals rather than 60(but donīt worry this force will be at some point more than 2k points strong). The List is the summary of my gaming experiences with the Legion army list with witch i fell in love. It is so well done and balanced, so many options and so much love in it.

And i want to paint a Storm Eagle^^.

So keep your eyes open because maybe in a few days(eventually tomorrow i will reveal my next project after the 1500p. EC are done. Take some guesses guys, its a Legion too=)

SacredBoltgun
07-11-2012, 16:16
Meet the Captain, i hope you like him so far. He only needs the Legion Symbol and he is done. Oh wait, any ideas for painting the Power Axe a bit more Power Weapon like?

But here are some Pics=)

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5651-836df51f.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5652-9ae5725f.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5654-59c2b385.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5655-a00a6b64.jpg

Hope you like him.

Cheers

Boltgun

Brother Garrod
07-11-2012, 16:45
Maybe a brighter shade of silver to the rest of the metal ?

Sqallum
07-11-2012, 17:25
Reallly nice stuff here. Should we expect battle reports? :)

kublai
07-11-2012, 17:48
If you want to keep it simple you could wash or glaze the blade with blue, red or purple. Or any other color.

Gorthaur
07-11-2012, 18:33
If you want to get fancy this is a decent guide,

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=223101

SacredBoltgun
07-11-2012, 19:29
http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5662-d8584b15.jpg

I redid him a bit and here is a wip of him. Drybrushed the Metal and the Leather(you canīt see it in the picture but the leather looks quite realistic now) and i think about doin the power weapon tut that gorthaur linked. Thanks for that gorthaur!

SultanGrayus
07-11-2012, 20:07
brilliant mate. what are you thoughts on the black leather? I have the same problem now and not sure what to do with it :)

SacredBoltgun
07-11-2012, 23:01
Hey mate,

hmm, im actually not so shure. I think i try some dark red tomorrow, like grandmaster DPA did, but ill see how that turns out, and there is always the leather brown option, but tomorrow more on this=)

SacredBoltgun
08-11-2012, 18:21
Soooooo, i have redone some parts of the Captain and i hope you like him.

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5683-53d1ce5c.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5684-7f92ff2a.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5685-b48633a5.jpg

kublai
08-11-2012, 18:25
I like him :D The dark red looks nicer than the black.

Jericho
08-11-2012, 18:35
The Cataphractii Termi looks very cool. Nice idea with the axe from Sevrin Loth's crew, and I like the balance of purple and gold on the color scheme for him.

SacredBoltgun
08-11-2012, 18:41
@ Kublai: Thanks alot! Iīm so glad you like my work!

@ Jericho:Thank you sir! Glad you like him.

And i have a little preview for you. I only say so much.... Death has come to Isstvan III....

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5691-723f5a0e.jpg
only a test dummy so far=)

Gorthaur
08-11-2012, 19:15
Hmm looks like Death Guard to me.

SacredBoltgun
08-11-2012, 19:23
DING DING DING! Yes its a Son of Mortarion.

kublai
08-11-2012, 19:29
So Death Guard now, make up your mind SacredBoltgun :evilgrin:

SacredBoltgun
08-11-2012, 19:49
Donīt worry, the Emperorīs Children army is the first project. The Iron Hands are the third project.

But now i have a serious problem. Friends at mine and some members of a german forum where i also show my miniatures brought me to a dillema and i need your help.

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5692-e62993ad.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5693-3e7e8b1e.jpg

Sons of Horus vs Death Guard. What should be my second Legion Project? Please give your Vote!

Kjeld
08-11-2012, 20:01
I would go with Death Guard! Not just because there are so many SoH armies atm, but also i want to know how you would paint your DG and use this for my own ;)

Merke: Man kann nie genug Projekte haben :)

Gorthaur
08-11-2012, 20:41
I can't tell you which you would be most satisfied with in the end, but there are a lack of Death Guard armies on this forum from what I can tell.

kublai
08-11-2012, 20:45
Taff one. I would say go with DG because I like the white of your test DG. By the way how did you do it ? White base coat with a sepia wash ?

SacredBoltgun
08-11-2012, 21:22
Thanks for your oppinions guys! Due the overwelming wish of the internet comunitiy the second legion force will be death guard!

As thanks for your opinions and interests i will paint the DG Testmarine tonight! Thanks a lot guys!

Edit:

@Kublai:

The White is

Basecoat White
Wash with 50/50 Mix Sephia Wash and Lahmian Medium the whole Mini
After that take a blistersponge and sponge the mini with a 60/40 Mix Ceramite White and Lahmian Medium(dip the sponge on paper befor dipping on the miniature) like spongedrybrushing=)

kublai
08-11-2012, 23:56
Wash with 50/50 Mix Sephia Wash and Lahmian Medium the whole Mini
After that take a blistersponge and sponge the mini with a 60/40 Mix Ceramite White and Lahmian Medium(dip the sponge on paper befor dipping on the miniature) like spongedrybrushing=)

Why the Lahmian Medium ?

superdupermatt
09-11-2012, 01:10
@Kublai adding the medium makes the wash not pool as much, so it flows into the recesses much fluidly. If you keep adding medium you'll create a glaze eventually too.

kublai
09-11-2012, 01:15
@Kublai adding the medium makes the wash not pool as much, so it flows into the recesses much fluidly. If you keep adding medium you'll create a glaze eventually too.

Thanks superdupermatt !

What about the sponging with LM then ?

superdupermatt
09-11-2012, 01:22
What do you mean by sponging?

kublai
09-11-2012, 01:26
What do you mean by sponging?

SacredBoltgun wrote : "After that take a blistersponge and sponge the mini with a 60/40 Mix Ceramite White and Lahmian Medium"

Solve that mystery superdupermatt :evilgrin:

superdupermatt
09-11-2012, 01:42
Ceramite white is very thick out of the pot, so I guess he uses medium to thin it. MYSTERY SOLVED :P

SacredBoltgun
09-11-2012, 01:57
When you add some Medium to the colour you want to sponge you smooth the colour and it applies more covering and not so... spotty, if you know what i mean, i donīt know the right words for it in english, sorry=)

Kjeld
09-11-2012, 06:55
So you are combining the methods of Death Guard and World Eaters from the Forgeworld Heresy Painting Guide. Good choice! It seems you get very good results with not too much effort.

SacredBoltgun
09-11-2012, 09:05
Yes Kjeld you are correct, i combined the FW Painting Guide from the Death Guard and World Eaters, but changed it a little bit for my own use

SacredBoltgun
10-11-2012, 02:42
Hey guys, was a bit paintlaisy lately, but was in the mood for building some astartes so hereīs what iīve done so far. These guys will get theyīre paint alongside the terminators=)

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5728-a9de265f.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5729-152a5d9e.jpg

Kjeld
10-11-2012, 11:06
Sounds like a plan ;) Looking good, and everybody is lazy sometimes. Just take a break, do something else fun, and then start fresh.

SacredBoltgun
12-11-2012, 16:43
@Kjeld: Glad to have your support here also=)

Updatetime:

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5756-b0a6d584.jpg

The ranks of the 33rd Company are swelling with new warriors, all proud sons of Chemos....

And i just started painting the cataphractiis=)

Kjeld
12-11-2012, 18:40
Sure, twice the fun for me!! ;)
I think it's good for the support you need, when you open yourself to a wider (also non-german) audience. And you get more ideas and help.

So you can count on me, in English AND in German! :D

SacredBoltgun
12-11-2012, 19:29
Sure, twice the fun for me!! ;)
I think it's good for the support you need, when you open yourself to a wider (also non-german) audience. And you get more ideas and help.

So you can count on me, in English AND in German! :D

I realy appreceate that, as i said, iīm realy happy that you like my stuff=) Dank dir=)

Laborious
13-11-2012, 11:05
You really are flying through these guys! Excellent work so far. :)

SacredBoltgun
13-11-2012, 16:03
Thank you sir=)

SacredBoltgun
14-11-2012, 16:41
Updatetime:

Today i did a lot of work on the 33rd Company here are some pics for you guys=)

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5770-cb2e332c.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5771-72039783.jpg http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-5772-69742a9f.jpg

The Tacs now have their bolters, the cataphractii are getting paintet today, so was a good hobby day=)

Kjeld
14-11-2012, 18:21
Keep them coming!! ;) They'll look great on the battle field! Now it's just the little task of painting them :)

kublai
14-11-2012, 22:42
A lot of guys :)

Hadriel Caine
14-11-2012, 23:56
Really like that purple. It looks almost iridescent. You sure have a lot of resin assembled. I think the gold works very well as a secondary colour here.

SacredBoltgun
15-11-2012, 14:12
Thanks guys, Termis will probably done at friday

SacredBoltgun
15-11-2012, 15:58

Gearhart
16-11-2012, 19:28
wow stunning mate ove the termies ill look back later today. Hopefully they will be done! ;D

brain_dead_1st
18-11-2012, 17:58
Stop talking and build some troop choices brother.
I allow myself to paint 1 cool model (praetor) for every 3 plebs (tactical marines etc). This helps me wade through and actually get table ready fairly fast

I also use Maelstrom Games own purple spray paint. It costs Ģ1 a can from the shop that was Maelstrom Games so I can be as liberal as I like.

P.S. I love the termie captain. Bravo on that one... I might steal the idea

Andreas12359
22-11-2012, 16:55
You're really motivated since you started the Emperor's Children! :) Keep up the good work and show some converted sergeants!! I need inspiration and I know you've got some nice bits hidden in your bitsbox ;)
For the Emperor!!!

SacredBoltgun
02-12-2012, 16:47
Hey Andreas, thanks for the nice words, much apprecheated. Bin busy with work and school lately, but now i have time again. But know i face a new problem. Undercoating/Spraypriming in winter. How do you do that, because i have a problem with that. Anyone any good ideas?

kublai
02-12-2012, 17:51
Basement, garage. Even in your room is okay, if you build a spray box, open a big window, and if you use a mask.

Kjeld
02-12-2012, 19:28
Hey, he's back!! You can use your airbrush inside, just crank up your room temperature :) I use the Vallejo Primer, it gives you a really nice and smooth finish. I you use a spray can, see the tipps above :)

SacredBoltgun
02-12-2012, 20:19
Yes Kjeld iīm back, thanks for your motivation post, that helped a lot! iīm lucky to have you as a threadlurker^^, realy appreceate that!

@Kublai: Yes, i will use my room=)

Thougt about using the airbrush, but im realy not into airbrush undercoating. But i have to see how it works with spraying in my room, my gf will kill me, but you will see some paintet EC again, and something more....

Kjeld
03-12-2012, 09:10
*lurk, lurk* That "something more" made me veeery curious... ;)

kublai
03-12-2012, 11:14
*lurk, lurk* That "something more" made me veeery curious... ;)

me too :shifty:

SacredBoltgun
07-12-2012, 21:30
me too :shifty:

Thats what i wanted to achive, maybe you see it on sunday.

But for now, you have to live with my EC:

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-6006-4aaa08c7.jpg

The Cataphractiis come along

and for the painting competition in a german 40k forum:

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-6007-aea1d51f.jpg

THe next 10 Tacticals

Kjeld
07-12-2012, 21:40
Looking good!! And i think i'll manage til Sunday ;)

Welche Competition meinst du denn?

Kjeld

SacredBoltgun
07-12-2012, 21:55
Hey Kjeld,

thanks mate.

In der Fanworld, wo ich unter dem Nick Prometheus vertreten bin gibts nen Heresy Malwettbewerb=)

superdupermatt
07-12-2012, 22:41
Stop talking get painting! Mush!

Laborious
08-12-2012, 00:26
Looking good so far. :)

verydarkshadow
08-12-2012, 00:39
This is such an inspiring log. I *really* like the shade of purple you've achieved. Looking forward to more.

SacredBoltgun
09-12-2012, 10:28
Thanks for all the nice words. This is what keeps me goin.

Working on the Cataphractiis right now, but i told you a few days ago that i have a surprise for you....

So wich Legion do you guys think will this big fella is belonging to...?

http://www.40k-fanworld.net/wbb/wcf/images/photos/photo-6011-cdefe978.jpg

kublai
09-12-2012, 10:31
Salamanders ?

This is really a nice model mate ! I love the two assault cannons.

SacredBoltgun
09-12-2012, 10:42
Yes you got it. The XVIII Legion will march against the III Legion=)

The Contemptor is such a great Kit, i love it

superdupermatt
09-12-2012, 14:58
What's with the regular bolter marine at the front? He has a death watch shoulder pad so I guess he's not preheresy!

Laborious
09-12-2012, 16:56
Oooh, stompy! Really want to get started on my contemptor now. :)

Siph
10-12-2012, 00:38
Can't beat Mortis Contemptors for sheer weight of dakka dakka and skyfire too!

Gorthaur
10-12-2012, 03:04
The Contemptor is looking good, you have a nice shade of green fitting for the legion.

SacredBoltgun
28-04-2013, 20:49
Hey my fellow Warseers.

Excuse me for beein so long away. Change of work and other privat Stuff kept me very busy. But i have returned, beeing 100% back in the hobby, i started working on my EC again.

In the last two days i assembled 50 Legion Tactical Marines and started to repaint my Cataphractii because i adopted my coloursceme for airbrush to paint quicker and for the sake of unitiy i remade the Cataphractiis

Here is the List i will assemble and paint:
Battlegroup Heraes, 23rd Company, 7th Cohort, 4th Millenial, 3rd Legiones Astartes "Emperorīs Children" 2000p.

Master of Signal Heraes, Master of Communication of the 23rd Company
+Master of Signal
+Artificer Armour
+Refractor Field
=105p.

Elite:
Legion Weapon Battery
+Quad Mortar(Thud Gun)
+Quad Mortar(Thud Gun)
=120p.

Legion Apothecarri
+Artificer Armour
=55p.

Standard:
Legion Tactical Squad I
13x Astares w Boltguns
1x Astartes w Boltgun and Vexilla
1x Sarg w Boltgun, Meltabombs and Artificer Armour
=225.

Legion Tactical Squad II
13x Astares w Boltguns
=225.

Legion Tactical Squad III
13x Astares w Boltguns
=225.

Legion Tactical Squad IV
13x Astares w Boltguns
=225.

Support:
Legion Heavy Support Squad I
9x Astartes w Autocannons
1x Sarg w Autocannon, Augury Scanner and Artificer Armour
=300p.

Legion Predator
+Lascannon Sponsons
=125p.

Fast Attack:
Legion Storm Eagle Gunship
+Twin Linked Multi Melta
+4 Hellstrike Missiles
=245p.

Legion Attack Bike Squadron
3x Trikes w Multi Melta
=150p.

=2000p.

And here are some pics of the madness iīve done. Excuse the bad quality of the pics, most of them where done in the night with my mobilecam.

Hope you enjoy the return of the 23rd Company =)

Cap'n Facebeard
29-04-2013, 12:03
Holy moly, that's a lot of marines. What sort of basing are you going for?

SacredBoltgun
29-04-2013, 14:33
@Capīn: Yes, 10 more Legion Heavy Support Marines and some HQīs+ Tanks and Guns and a Flyer to go... xD
Not sure about the Basing, i will use the gw textures, most probably the grey one.

Small Update: Today i will start the work on the first Tactical Squad(15 Astartes), hope to provide you with some of WIP Pictures during the day.

As an Eyecandy, i took some Pictures of my assembled HH Stuff, including my Test ECīs, my test WE and the Red Angel himself...

kublai
29-04-2013, 15:01
Welcome back ! :D

SacredBoltgun
29-04-2013, 15:05
Hey Kublai, thanks!
I never noticed that you are from Germany... Iīm from Lower Saxony xD the World is a village.

With some luck i finish the first 10-15 Astartes today!

kublai
29-04-2013, 15:29
Hey Kublai, thanks!
I never noticed that you are from Germany... Iīm from Lower Saxony xD the World is a village.

With some luck i finish the first 10-15 Astartes today!

I hope you will continue with this speed ! :)

SacredBoltgun
29-04-2013, 16:02
The first Squad is Basecoated. Now they have to dry a bit and then they will get the first Wash. Love Airbrush Basecoating^^

kublai
29-04-2013, 16:22
What airbrush brand are you using ?

SacredBoltgun
29-04-2013, 17:32
No Special Brand, iīm using the "Professional Air Brush Kit" from Amazon wich is like 10 Euroīs for an Airbrush wich does it Job extremely well. But iīm interested in buying a professional Airbrush, but i have to inform me wich ones are good.

So the first 15 Tacs got their "washing" and drying now for further painting

kublai
29-04-2013, 17:36
Badger ( an Amercian brand) and Harder& Steenbeck ( aus Hamburg :) ) , and also Iwata are said to be the best.

SacredBoltgun
29-04-2013, 17:49
Do you have some more infos about the Harder and Steenbeck ones?

And some WIP Pics:

Kjeld
29-04-2013, 18:05
Hey, i'm glad that you're finally back in the hobby! Your minis are looking great, airbrush base coat is the best ;)
I use a h&s evolution 2in1, and i'm really happy with it. It performs very well and is easy to use. If you want, i'll send you the link of the set i bought (incl. compressor).

kublai
29-04-2013, 18:34
Some Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ZtQbhJ-ys You should check out this guys channel, alot of fantastic airbrush tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2cor7woA3U

Check out youtube for more.

Hope that helps a bit :)

SacredBoltgun
29-04-2013, 18:41
Hey Kjeld and Kublai, thank you both for the infos. The H&S Evolution 2in1 looks like exactly what iīm looking for.

Kjeld please give me the link=)

Paint is nearly dried, ill start soon with the Gold and Metal Parts on the EC

SacredBoltgun
01-05-2013, 21:38
Heyho Warseer,

a litte Update.

Whilst having not so much time to paint in the last few days as i wished, i still managed to paint a bit.

Finished the metallic parts(now theses parts just need some nuln oil wash) on the first 15 astartes and started working on the golden areas, over the 50% done.

I made some thoughts about the colour of the base and i think GW Texture Armageddon Dust, a yellowish browntone will be the colour of the bases.

I hope you enjoy this small update:

Sqallum
02-05-2013, 20:21
Looks lovely, eager to see more.

Brother Garrod
02-05-2013, 21:57
You looking forwards to the upcoming Fulgrim mini ? :)

SacredBoltgun
02-05-2013, 22:05
Hey guys=)

@Sqallum: Hey glad you like them, more is coming soon. Finished the golden parts on all 15 Astartes, finetuning and finish will be done tomorrow.

@Brother Garrod: So much! Canīt wait to get the Lord of the 3rd Legion on my painting table! Seriously, canīt wait^^

Darkritual
02-05-2013, 22:11
Nice to see your back on the children! And great work so far! :)

SacredBoltgun
03-05-2013, 15:09
Hey Darkritual, thanks mate=)

Thanks all for the motivation. Finished the Washjob on the golden parts. Next are the metalparts and the magazin pouches.

kublai
03-05-2013, 15:57
Man you are fast :)

The purple armour looks really good mate !

SacredBoltgun
03-05-2013, 16:14
Thanks mate!

Just finished the magazin pouches. Now all they need is the black wash on metal parts and pouches, green eyes, so touch ups here and there, the Legion symbol and the bases and they are done, much faster than i had anticipated=)

Kjeld
03-05-2013, 18:42
Looking forward to it!! SO keep on painting ;)

SacredBoltgun
05-05-2013, 23:17
So, today after a long day of paintig, some workout and enjoying the nice weather outside with my better half, i managed to finish the first 15 man tactical Squad.

Prepare yourself for a pictureflood. the lighning not perfect, but i ordered a picture station to make better pics in the near future. I realy enjoyed paintig that squad. Looking forward for the next 15.

Tomorrow youīll get a group picture and a bit fluff for the 4th Squad of the 33rd company.

But enough talking, īere we go

kublai
05-05-2013, 23:37
They look very cool SacredBoltgun !

SacredBoltgun
05-05-2013, 23:41
Thanks Kublai, what heresy is this? over half of the pictures i uploadet are not shown. but i have an idea...

17019217019317019417019517019617019717019817019917 0200170201

SacredBoltgun
05-05-2013, 23:42

Now we got them all. Hope you enjoy them. Tommorow will be Basing day and start with the next squad.

SacredBoltgun
06-05-2013, 12:26
Hey guys,

just made some proper daylightpics. Hope you enjoy=)

SacredBoltgun
06-05-2013, 12:27

kublai
06-05-2013, 13:28
You are almost done with them, what is next ?

SacredBoltgun
06-05-2013, 14:12
Hey Kublai.

Yes, just the Bases and they are good to go. Next up is a dualproject to keep my mental sanity. The 2nd 15 Taksquad(I was asked in a german 40k Forum if i could do a paintig step by step tutorial, i will use one of the next 15 Boltercarriers for it) and a Deimos Pattern Predator from FW With Predator Autocannon and Lascannon sponsons.

And if iīm in the mood to glue my hands together with some superglue, i will finish the Apothecarii and the Master of Signals.

Cheers,

Boltgun

SacredBoltgun
07-05-2013, 14:52
Yesterday late in the night i finished the Squad.

The 4th Cohors(Squad)"Eylos" of the 33rd Company, 7th Cohort, 4th Millenial, 3rd Legiones Astartes "Emperorīs Children"

Legionary Janus fired his Boltgun on the first Greenskin storming out of the cage. The Gun kicked two times in his hands and the Orc dissapeard in a cloud of blood and bonefragments. Janus quicky looked over his shoulder and saw that the IXth and Xth Legion forces had begun their attack on the Orcfortress aswell. "Cohors form a line" the vox in his helmed cracked and the legionaries of the 4th Cohors formed a line around sergeant Eylon. Just in time to meet the howling and blindly into the air fiering Orcmob with fifteen boltgunbarrels. "Unleash the Fury!" commanded sergeant Eylon and the 4th Cohors emptied the magazines of their Boltguns into the ranks of the Orcs.

SacredBoltgun
09-05-2013, 11:25
Hey guys,

quick update: Managed to finish building the Storm Eagle and basecoated and washed the next 15 Tactical Marines.

Kjeld
09-05-2013, 11:27
Nice! Looking forward to the painted Storm Eagle.

kublai
09-05-2013, 13:03
Nice! Looking forward to the painted Storm Eagle.

Me too :)

Was it hard to put the Storm Eagle together ?

SacredBoltgun
10-05-2013, 12:54
@Kjeld: Hey, thanks, yeah looking forward painting this beauty=)

@Kublai: I had a well cast one. Some warped parts(only 4 out 30 or so), but i had some bad mold lines on some parts where i had to revome more than needed so have to fill one or two gaps with green stuff, but like i sad overall a very nice cast and kit wich came quite fast together, i think 4 hours or so.

Like i said the Eagle need some green stuff work and i wait for the EC Brass Etches, but iīm looking forward to finish the "Pride of Chemos".

Tonight is a paintsession for the second tac squad. hope to finish the gold and metal parts.

Bigglesworth
13-05-2013, 23:42
Looking very nice. Impressive to see all the Legionaries you've made already, even if their not all yet painted, or as I like to think of it, in Night or Arctic camo :) . The level of battle damage and weathering is perfect, and you've got a really nice purple too.

I'm glad your Storm Eagle Construction went well, I have heard some shocking tales about that kit.

shaw3029
14-05-2013, 11:26
That's a big army so far and the painting is very nice! A bucket load of marines makes for a very impressive heresy army.

SacredBoltgun
14-05-2013, 13:58
@Bigglesworth: Thanks mate, i also refer to it as Night pattern camo ;) working on the second squad atm, hope to put some pictures up during the day. The Storm Eagle was quite well, some warped parts but overall nice. a friend of mine orderd another wich where neraly perfectly cast, but iīve also heard and seen terrible things with this kit.

@shaw: Also thanks mate, its great you enjoy them, in the end it will be 72 Power Armour Marines and some Cataphractii and a Contempor+Armoury

Sqallum
14-05-2013, 20:13
They look lovely. You are one of the only people who has truly got across the dark purple of the Emperor's Children, and your painting rate.... you are a machine! :)

SacredBoltgun
15-05-2013, 21:51
Hey guys,

@Sqallum: Thanks mate, iīm not a machine, but i managed to paint some more on the second tac squad, they are roughly 60-70% done, tommorow i start working on the storm eagle.

kublai
16-05-2013, 00:31
Hey maybe I pointed this out already, but there is a cool forum just for Heresy stuff. Some cool projects there. I think you will like it :)

http://z13.invisionfree.com/The_First_Expedition/index.php?

SacredBoltgun
18-05-2013, 21:21
Thanks Kublai, havenīt visited the site for ages. Ill tink i start a log over there too.

Good news, after seeing the great Fulgrim pics today i finished the second 15 man tac squad.

Next up is the Storm Eagle and iīll beginn the work on the third tac squad or the cataphractii.

But enough talkin, here are the next 15 boltercarrier and their 15 companions

kublai
18-05-2013, 23:31
Your marines get better and better mate !

SacredBoltgun
18-05-2013, 23:47
Thanks mate, i realy enjoy painting them. Itīs realy a long time wish come true.

Bigglesworth
19-05-2013, 00:05
Still looking great, I can't believe I did not comment on the bases before now, they are a really excellent contrast to the purple.

SacredBoltgun
19-05-2013, 01:21
Hey Biggkesworth, thank you sir!

I realy like the bases too, first i wanted to do them ruined city grey, but a friend convinced my to go for the ashdesert type sheme

SacredBoltgun
19-05-2013, 12:13
Hey guys, the light was perfect this morning so i used the moment and did some closeups, hope you enjoy=)

17104817104917105017105117105217105317105417105517 1056

intercepta
19-05-2013, 18:17
These purple marines really are growing on me now they're all a proper purple rather then pink! Yours are a damn fine example of that too!

SacredBoltgun
20-05-2013, 23:57
Thank you intercepta,

some small news, the storm eagle is basecoated and while the basecoat dries iīve started to work on my cataphractiis.

tomorrow ill post pictures of both of them

Cheers,

Boltgun

shaw3029
21-05-2013, 12:49
Looking fantastic all those purple marines will make for one impressive army.

Will you be getting Fulgrim soon?

SacredBoltgun
28-05-2013, 17:34
Hey guys,

@shaw: Thanks mate, glad you enjoy my work. Yes as soon as possible Fulgrim and a EC Contemptor Bot will join the ranks of the 33rd Company.

Iīve been working on the Cataphractiis lately, they are 90% done, here are some WIP Pics=)

Cheers

Boltgun

kublai
28-05-2013, 19:58
Nice !!!

There is an Angron base in the backround :shifty:

Gorthaur
17-06-2013, 19:05
Still going it at eh? Everything is looking great

Sadly I haven't done anything with the hobby for a while, didn't even get halfway through painting my Hobbit stuff.

Laborious
17-06-2013, 21:53
Happens to us all, Gorthaur. Went AWOL myself for six months. The bug will bite you again soon enough. Really was loving your Sons of Horus, quite different from how everyone else going with them. Would be great to see you get back to them. :)

Just had a quick gander through the last few months, sacred. You've really hammered through these. How many marines have you actually got now, mate?

Petay1985
18-06-2013, 12:55
wonderful work fella. nice to see some paint on those Cataphractii too ;)

SacredBoltgun
22-06-2013, 11:27
What a lucky guy I am. 4 of my most favorite painters on Warseer like what iīm doing=)

@Kublai: Jup, its the Red Angel. I will make a pic of him for you in due time=)

@Gorthaur: Hey glad to hear from you again. Hope everything is fine. Iīm realy buisy with my EC, and next in line are ether Salamanders or Ultramarines, but because of the rules comming this year probably Salamanders.

@Laborious: Cheers mate, also how are you? Nice to have you back with your gorgeous EC. Assemblied is my 2000p. EC List containing 60 Tactical Marines with Boltguns(divided in 4 15 Man Squads), 10 Legion Heavy Support guys with Autocannons, 2 Apothecarii, 5 Cataphractii, 1 Centurio in Cataphractii Armour, 1 Predator and 1 Storm Eagle. My next step is finish the Cataphractii and paint the Storm Eagle.

@Petay: Thanks mate, i love the Catpahractii, was a lot of fun painting these guys. Hope to bring a new update soon.

Cheers,

Boltgun

Laborious
22-06-2013, 12:38
I'm very well, thank you very much. :) Really enjoying being back painting.

Wow, that's a lot of resin! Looking forward to getting around to assembling and painting my own storm eagle, but I'm saving that for the end so who knows how long that will be. :)

Vect
22-06-2013, 17:37
Hello there, great work, what is your recipe for the brown of you bases?
I am stuck at the moment deciding between brown/black
thanks !

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/277204-heresy-emperors-children-iii-legion-wip/