PDA

View Full Version : Black Templars

Horus Lupercal
28-10-2012, 21:29
Hey guys.

I'm doing a small home brew chapter project and once that is done in going to do a large marine army.

Black Templars have always been one of my favourites but I'm wondering how they are getting on at the moment with their codex? Do you use it? Do you use counts as? If so what? Etc etc!!

SimaoSegunda
28-10-2012, 22:09
All I can say is that in my local 40k escalation campaign, a Black Templar player currently sits in second place.

ftayl5
28-10-2012, 22:18
It's almost (or maybe already is?) the oldest codex right now.

It's still pretty good though IMO, just a bit different to conventional marine armies. Mixed squads of neophytes and marines, no psykers etc

Schismotive
28-10-2012, 23:23
It's also definitely the worst codex in the game right now! You have to adopt a very different way of playing, since there are very few viable builds. I play templars and I love it; you still get some pretty nice matchups, but overall it tough to do well with them nowadays.

xxRavenxx
28-10-2012, 23:29
It's also definitely the worst codex in the game right now!

Not even close. Nids are 10x worse.

Templars get access to some really good perks (that they'll lose when they get a redo) and a load of drawbacks due to age. (Which they'll probably also lose).

Machine spirit Vindicators are pretty saucy. Tank hunting dreads with missile and las are also very nice.

They get 1 less attack with their powerfists in their units, but don't have champions so can't be dueled.

Their troops are overcosted compared to other marines however.

Basicly: Fielding a "fluffy" list with them will get you crushed, fielding a "powergaming" list with them can do wonders.

Schismotive
28-10-2012, 23:49
Noo way man nids aren't that bad, they got it rough but I've seen enough solid tyranid players around who consistently get good results, also they've got way more viable units to pull out. I've seen so few templar players it's not even funny...

Black templars do have some "nice perks" but I'd give those up in a heartbeat to get a decent update. Our troops don't care about being challenged, they have Ld 8, and break all the time from being forced to Ld check after even one casualty, and even when they pass they get pulled out of cover from RZ. And also 1 attack fists usually = no hits.

Machine spirit vindicators are great, a nice feature I'll be sad to lose. Tank hunter dreds and termies used to be solid as heck; in 5th ed when everyone ran mech I could de-mech anyone's army like nobody's business. But now since a lot of people ditched mech, they've become I lot less useful...

I've been closer to powergaming with templars recently and it's still decent at best...

Killgore
28-10-2012, 23:54
BT have a few advantages compared to modern marines but this is countered by many disadvantages.

Advantages

Cheap Predators and Land Speeder Typhoons
Terminators can have 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers in a 5 man unit with Tank Hunters
Furious Charge Assault Terminators
Vows, although the best one Accept Any Challenge went from Preferred Enemy to Rage :( These also come at a price,
5 Man Marine units with a Heavy and Special weapon

Disadvantages

Righteous Zeal- Basically a armywide rule where if you suffer one casualty in a unit from shooting you take a moral test, fail it you fall back, pass it you move towards the enemy D6 inches.... So a marine unit in cover suffers one wound, they pass their test and move 3 inches which would put them out of their cover in full sight of the enemy gunline :(

Weak special characters compared to modern codexs

Have to take 2 HQ as the compulsory over 750 points Emperor's Champion cannot be the army Warlord

Overcosted basic marine units, we pay more for a standard marine compared to other SM codexs and we have to pay extra on top for Frags and even more for Kraks

Other basic units like Bikes are also more expensive than other SM chapters.

Like Raven said, if you pick the best bits you can make a cracking army list, Terminators, Vindicators and Land Speeder Typhoons. But the disadvantages like Righteous Zeal (which has led some BT players on the B&C forums pretending that the last FAQ never existed and instead play their games with the advantages of the previous rather generous FAQ with non of the disadvantages of the latest one....) make playing the army rather tricky at times, especially in small battles.

Chem-Dog
29-10-2012, 00:20
1 attack fists usually = no hits.

I'm surprised BT players haven't quadrupled the demand for Power Axes.. Most cases S5 is sufficient, AP1 is as good as fists and you get that all important Pistol bonus attack.

Knifeparty
29-10-2012, 00:25
Chaos codex with Mark of Khorne on everything would make a decent Black Templars substitute. Rage +counter attack, you could give them the icon to make them fearless as well, or furious charge. Dark Apostles for chaplains. etc.

Schismotive
29-10-2012, 00:35
I'm surprised BT players haven't quadrupled the demand for Power Axes.. Most cases S5 is sufficient, AP1 is as good as fists and you get that all important Pistol bonus attack.

Power axes are better in this case, in fact I take these over power fists in most cases. But the bigger issue is that we should be worrying about staying out of assaults rather than efficiency in assault. So yes they give you the extra attack, but really it wont help you much in the long run

Charistoph
29-10-2012, 05:20

It depends on the target... and since Meltabombs aren't available to Crusader Squads, it can make certain targets... less-effective. And it would still be 1 less attack than a Sergeant gets. And let's not get started on the Sword Brethren...

Power axes are better in this case, in fact I take these over power fists in most cases. But the bigger issue is that we should be worrying about staying out of assaults rather than efficiency in assault. So yes they give you the extra attack, but really it wont help you much in the long run

Choosing your targets is important, but the trick is to use your disadvantages as much as possible to your advantage. Personally, I find RZ a balanced rule for an army built for close combat.

Glen_Savet
29-10-2012, 06:26
I've not seen the issues Schismotive espouses. Similar to SimaoSegunda stated, a BT player was in 2nd place at the end of our last campaign. (about 2 weeks ago)

If you play to their strengths, they do fine. If you want to do close assault, thunderhammer/stormshield and lightning claw terminators together make for a better unit (in my experience) than a unit of just thunderhammers, or just lightning claws.

Schismotive
29-10-2012, 08:17
Choosing your targets is important, but the trick is to use your disadvantages as much as possible to your advantage. Personally, I find RZ a balanced rule for an army built for close combat.

Trust me I've been playing BT for a while and RZ usually provides very little benefit. This is mostly because crusader squads are nothing but a joke in close combat, along with our HQs. Assault terminators are good but wont work all by themselves; they often get shot to pieces and even then really work best as a thunder-bubble.

I've not seen the issues Schismotive espouses. Similar to SimaoSegunda stated, a BT player was in 2nd place at the end of our last campaign. (about 2 weeks ago)

If you play to their strengths, they do fine. If you want to do close assault, thunderhammer/stormshield and lightning claw terminators together make for a better unit (in my experience) than a unit of just thunderhammers, or just lightning claws.

Well then the people in your campaign might not know how to play... templars are unplayable in competitive games and even casually aren't very good

A.T.
29-10-2012, 10:36
Personally, I find RZ a balanced rule for an army built for close combat.It's a variation of 5th edition rage - one shot, one casualty, and your templars are off towards their own table edge either fleeing for their lives or determined to abandon their objective and beat on that unarmed drop pod for a while.

I have found that templar success is more a function of an opponent's familiarity with them. Someone that hasn't played them before will no doubt be surprised to find terminators on foot zealing across the board at a disturbingly fast rate or will be caught out by the shooty focus of the 'cc' army. At the other end of the scale someone who knows how zeal works can have their templar opponent dancing on strings.

Killgore
29-10-2012, 10:49
There's also the unanswered question of do you have to Zeal towards enemy flyers? RAW says yes, but its highly unfair due to their mobility

Ba'al Starslayer
29-10-2012, 11:07
Although this seems to be turning more into a demi-tactics thread, I will say this:
I use Grimaldus.
There, I said it. :D
I love the fluff, he's actually quite good in combat (having 7 attacks on the charge and the possibility of Furious Charge for S7 too). Give him a FNP bubble of a Command Squad and have him lead your now-fearless minions into action! I use him with 2 sizeable Crusader Squads, 2 shooty Terminator Squads, and seasoning to taste. I admit it's not a great army (which is hard to achieve from this Codex), but it's fun to use and gets past the RZ rule.

Glen_Savet
29-10-2012, 14:17
Thanks for casually insulting random people Schismotive, you're a champ. Perhaps you are the one who cannot play?

Play what you want. Winning isn't everything, and apparently some people can make them work.

Charistoph
29-10-2012, 15:13
Trust me I've been playing BT for a while and RZ usually provides very little benefit. This is mostly because crusader squads are nothing but a joke in close combat, along with our HQs. Assault terminators are good but wont work all by themselves; they often get shot to pieces and even then really work best as a thunder-bubble.

Yeah, that whole, "If it doesn't have a power weapon it sucks in close combat" perspective certainly hurts, doesn't it. To bad Crusader Squads are the only ones that have that trouble. Oh, wait, no, that's not true now is it? And considering that the only difference between a SB Terminator Squad and a SM Terminator Squad is one has a sergeant (which only provides Challenge benefits), and the other can take Furious Charge/Tank Hunter and has access to Vows.

Well then the people in your campaign might not know how to play... templars are unplayable in competitive games and even casually aren't very good

As has been said, there are good players who can play Templars well. Why? Because at the core, they are Space Marines.

It's a variation of 5th edition rage - one shot, one casualty, and your templars are off towards their own table edge either fleeing for their lives or determined to abandon their objective and beat on that unarmed drop pod for a while.

Yeah, Morale tests on Leadership 8-10 can be really bad... And being able to Auto-Rally on your turn really hurts...

As for the abandoning your objective, you realize the best answer for that is provided for in 6th? Grab some SM allies and use them to camp on your home objectives and let the Crusaders Zeal across the board!

Shamana
29-10-2012, 15:27
I'm curious, actually - how would people compare Black Templars and Dark Angels? I'd have thought that BT might be worse off in comparison, but it seems they are still going at least as strong. Your thoughts?

A.T.
29-10-2012, 15:33
Yeah, Morale tests on Leadership 8-10 can be really bad... And being able to Auto-Rally on your turn really hurts...You appear to have deliberately missed the point.

Templars do not zeal merrily across the board, they zeal towards whatever is closest - whether that is towards a target or off into the corner is primarily up to your opponent.

I'm curious, actually - how would people compare Black Templars and Dark Angels? I'd have thought that BT might be worse off in comparison, but it seems they are still going at least as strong. Your thoughts?Dark Angels would be a poor mans vanilla dex if not for the deathwing and ravenwing elements.

Templars have all kinds of odd pricing with some gunline options cheaper than those in the marine dex (due to an FAQ which saw them have something of a resurgence in 5th), but they also pay over the odds for other options and have more odd rules quirks as all the other books combined - while they were released in 4th the book reads like a 3rd ed codex.

Schismotive
29-10-2012, 19:51
I know dark angels are more popular for sure, I mean I think I've only ever met like 1 other templar player in person. DA have deathwing, which in the hands of a good player can beat a lot of tough match ups. Other than that the codex isn't too fantastic, but it still adheres somewhat to some of the old 5th ed type stuff, like point cost and unit options.

Templars are definitely a different game than the other marine armies; most things cost more than they should, and you don't get access to a lot of things everyone else gets. They have some solid units, but close combat is basically not gonna happen for them. I'd say templars and dark angels are about even, but DA has deathwing which definitely gives them the upper hand.

Also, Grimaldus is a fun HQ to use... he's actually one of the better ways to run the big mob squads. Only thing that bugs really bothers me about him is lack of frag grenades..

A.T.
29-10-2012, 20:18
They have some solid units, but close combat is basically not gonna happen for them.To be clear for players unfamiliar with them, the templar core troops unit are tactical marines with either a bolter or bolt pistol and cc, with grenades purchased seperately. They have no vet but one basic model can take a power weapon/fist, and can bulk out the squad to 20 men with bp/cc armed scouts.

If you pay for it elsewhere in the army they also have the rage special rule. They cost as much per model as normal vanilla marines (not including rage or grenades). The unit is Ld8 and makes break tests for any number of shooting casualties - passing the test causes them to run straight at the closest enemy D6". They are fearless in close combat and pay 3rd edition costs for transports.

They do have excellent chaplains though.

kermit
29-10-2012, 21:20
RZ killed me in my last tournament. I got paired with some of the stronger players and they knew how to use it to their advantage.

... shoot one of my squads and try to kill one guy...

... move to another squad and try to kill one guy...

... this until all my squads had at least one guy dead...

... End shooting... Roll RZ... run forward (everything I rolled was a 4 or more all day long...)...

... They declare charges based on my new position outside of cover...

... I lose in combat... we are just too squishy.

Glen_Savet
29-10-2012, 21:42
Are they still fearless in close combat? I seem to recall reading in the errata that they had that removed. I'll check my book when I return home, but if someone has one to hand and can cross reference the FAQ that would be swell.

Charistoph
29-10-2012, 23:06
... we are just too squishy.

No more squishy than any other marine...

Are they still fearless in close combat? I seem to recall reading in the errata that they had that removed. I'll check my book when I return home, but if someone has one to hand and can cross reference the FAQ that would be swell.

Yes, they are. The rule, "No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!", was not touched by the Errata/Ammendments. With No Retreat! gone, this rule got a whole lot better. The rule above it requiring a Ld Test to shoot other than the nearest was removed.

Schismotive
30-10-2012, 00:25
RZ killed me in my last tournament. I got paired with some of the stronger players and they knew how to use it to their advantage.

... End shooting... Roll RZ... run forward (everything I rolled was a 4 or more all day long...)...

This. You have no idea. We may be no squishier than any other marine, but no other marine gets drawn out of cover, or even into charge range!

Voss
30-10-2012, 03:25

The BT upgrade sprue came with power axes. So BT players already had a pile.

thespaceman
30-10-2012, 04:23
Hi all,

was looking through the codex last night and agrre with most of the comments so far and am considering the posibility of moving from multiple small units armed with meltagun and power fist to concentrating the offence in a few main units. The advantage of this would be the ability stach multiple benefits on the same squad.

The basic Idea would be
Vow for +1 str or rage
Standard for + 1 attack on defence (counter attack)
Chaplain for re rolling misses
holy relic for + 1 attack
Using command squad with apothecary for feels no pain
A veteran skill such as tank hunters furious or counter attack.
Chaplain + servitors to get up to 9inch zeal move.

Basically a squad that could stack all of this would be fairly decent against most opponents. The main problem is the lack of weapons choices that initiates can carry. The posibility of stacking some or all of these on Terminators could make a nasty unit but it would be expensive and low in numbers.

Other wise things like speeders/dreads/and vindicators seem pretty good.

Things I would avoid are assault squads/bikes/sword brethren as they seem to costly and don't hit hard enough.

On the topic of zeal, I find it useful for getting foot troops across the board and into meltagun range/ assault. I never take heavy weapons in squads.

Use supporting squads so squad A is behind or mixed into squad B. If they charge both they will lose the charge bonus due to disorganised assault. Use the counterattack skill to give + 1 attack to you in assault. Don't rely on standard crusader squads just for assaults. Throw in some Dreads or Terminators and it will be the opponent getting squishy.

Plus BTs are fearless in CC so losing a round of combat should not be a problem as it holds the enemy in place so whatever is supporting the first squad can apply the coup de grace.

MarshallGaisgeach
22-11-2012, 01:37
As a Black Templar's player, it's been hard making the transition to 6th ed.
Our codex is pretty outdated, but we do as previously stated have some nice perks.
Some examples of our nice perks are: 70 pt typhoon landspeeders, rage assault terminators, cheap rites of battle commander, a possible 2 missile launchers in each terminator squad with tank hunters, drop pod is 5 pts cheaper, vernerable dreads are cheaper, power of the machine spirit may be added to any tank, and a cheaper predator annihilator with sponson lascannons than codex by 5pts.
So, i used the things we do better than space marines and put them into an army, trying to save points and maximize efficiency.
However, I don't like the new 6th ed, but I'm working in the new Rage rules, I tried to create an army that effectively used Rage with my assault terminators and a chaplain to get re-rolling hits and wounds, like i had in 5th.
I kept my army based on three ideas:
1, create a big distraction using my scary terminator squad with chaplain.
2, hold home objective using shooty squad and capture neutral objectives using two drop-pod squads.
3, use the combined excessive fire support to annihilate enemy targets.

Let me know what you guys think:

Black Templars

Marshall/Ld 10 RoB

Combi-meltagun

Power-sword

Melta-bombs

Emperors Champion

AAC/ Relic Blade

Master of Sanctity

Power fist/p. maul

Tactical Squad x 5

Multi-melta

Meltagun

3 bolters

Drop Pod

Tactical Squad x 5

Lascannon

Plasmagun

5 bolters

Tactical Squad x 7

flamer

Power Fist/Bolt Pistol

8 bolters

2 Neophytes

Drop Pod

Terminator Squad x 7

2TH/SS 5 PoLC

Land Raider Crusader

Blessed Hull

Land Speeder

Typhoon

Dreadnought

L.C./Missile Launcher

Venerable

Tank Hunter/Smoke

Predator

TLLC

side LC

smoke/searchlight

Vindicator

smoke/searchlight

Vindicator

smoke/searchlight

Charistoph
22-11-2012, 21:25

I think individual point costs should be scrubbed before WS Inquisition does it for you.

Erik Sweden
24-03-2013, 18:34
Our codex is pretty outdated, but we do as previously stated have some nice perks.
Some examples of our nice perks are: 70 pt typhoon landspeeders, rage assault terminators, cheap rites of battle commander, a possible 2 missile launchers in each terminator squad with tank hunters, drop pod is 5 pts cheaper, vernerable dreads are cheaper, power of the machine spirit may be added to any tank, and a cheaper predator annihilator with sponson lascannons than codex by 5pts.
So, i used the things we do better than space marines and put them into an army, trying to save points and maximize efficiency.
However, I don't like the new 6th ed, but I'm working in the new Rage rules, I tried to create an army that effectively used Rage with my assault terminators and a chaplain to get re-rolling hits and wounds, like i had in 5th.
2, hold home objective using shooty squad and capture neutral objectives using two drop-pod squads.

Black Templars

Marshall/Ld 10 RoB

Combi-meltagun

Power-sword

Melta-bombs

Emperors Champion

AAC/ Relic Blade

Master of Sanctity

Power fist/p. maul

Tactical Squad x 5

Multi-melta

Meltagun

3 bolters

Drop Pod

Tactical Squad x 5

Lascannon

Plasmagun

5 bolters

Tactical Squad x 7

flamer

Power Fist/Bolt Pistol

8 bolters

2 Neophytes

Drop Pod

Terminator Squad x 7

2TH/SS 5 PoLC

Land Raider Crusader

Blessed Hull

Land Speeder

Typhoon

Dreadnought

L.C./Missile Launcher

Venerable

Tank Hunter/Smoke

Predator

TLLC

side LC

smoke/searchlight

Vindicator

smoke/searchlight

Vindicator

smoke/searchlight

Interrestin list , so you dont use Rhinos to shoot with your heavyweapon ? Like put 15-20 man in 3-4 Rhinos and cruise around and shoot ??

Commissar Davis
24-03-2013, 19:55
Interrestin list , so you dont use Rhinos to shoot with your heavyweapon ? Like put 15-20 man in 3-4 Rhinos and cruise around and shoot ??

Why spend out on all those Rhinos? LRC's are a dedicated transport.

kryptt
25-03-2013, 11:22
Or go the up in the air with the storm raven or eagle. Dam the eagle is such a pain to put together. My inquisitors gun cutter was easier to remodel from a Star Wars toy than the eagle. GW really needs to make it a plastic model.
Back on topic there's more talk of us getting rolled into the vanilla codex.

Erik Sweden
30-03-2013, 17:10
Or go the up in the air with the storm raven or eagle. Dam the eagle is such a pain to put together. My inquisitors gun cutter was easier to remodel from a Star Wars toy than the eagle. GW really needs to make it a plastic model.
Back on topic there's more talk of us getting rolled into the vanilla codex.
What do you mean by getting rolled into vanilla Codex ?
and how do you use Storm Raven/Eagles - in pairs ... ?

A.T.
30-03-2013, 17:19
What do you mean by getting rolled into vanilla Codex ?Squatted as a codex and replaced with a chapter tactic or it's 6th ed equivalent.

K11
31-03-2013, 00:09
I disagree with your statement about crusader squads being a joke in combat. Give them bolt pistols and close combat weapons, add a chaplain with terminator honours and lightning claws and presuming you've taken the emperor's champion that gives them rage that's 40 str4 i4 attacks on the charge, re-rolling to hit. This combined with the chaplain, who challenges first round, gives a unit which makes a near definite second round kill on meq units. They take skill to use as you need to pull off the charge to be effective, but they aren't bad against units on the defensive as 20 attacks for 160 pts is nothing to be sniffed at.

The Templar
31-03-2013, 01:36
As the name suggests, ive been a die hard fan of the bt for many years but, alas, my brave boys n black currently sit on the shelf collecting dust as the way i want to play them is no longer possible. some of the key parts in many peoples armies are unavailable to us (try keeping your boys behind an aegis or, for more fun, stick them on a bastion and watch them play lemming!). However we do still have some strength, for an uber death star team up 10 assault terms with a mantled up (power fist, storm shield) marshall, aac and grimaldus. marshall takes 1 wound your unit charges forward d6+3"! thats potentially 21" move across the table before your second turn!
other tricks include, against any force contaning a psyker, take abhor the witch, set up at the cusp of your dp in a raider. at the start of the game you move d6 forward, then in your first turn move a further 6" disembark a further 6" and voila, first turn charge! not many people see that coming.
otherwise, as people have said, its all about the typhoons, twin cyclone terms, las plas rhino squads, ms vinnies and fully customisable marshalls (still best non-special hq imo, oh except for necron scarab lord).
one thing that a lot of people missed for a while there

xavos
31-03-2013, 08:25
It's fun to play the non-conventional units, such as neophytes, cenobytes and emperor's champion. A few more special characters and wargear would have been welcome.

Erik Sweden
01-04-2013, 11:10
As the name suggests, ive been a die hard fan of the bt for many years but, alas, my brave boys n black currently sit on the shelf collecting dust as the way i want to play them is no longer possible. some of the key parts in many peoples armies are unavailable to us (try keeping your boys behind an aegis or, for more fun, stick them on a bastion and watch them play lemming!). However we do still have some strength, for an uber death star team up 10 assault terms with a mantled up (power fist, storm shield) marshall, aac and grimaldus. marshall takes 1 wound your unit charges forward d6+3"! thats potentially 21" move across the table before your second turn!
other tricks include, against any force contaning a psyker, take abhor the witch, set up at the cusp of your dp in a raider. at the start of the game you move d6 forward, then in your first turn move a further 6" disembark a further 6" and voila, first turn charge! not many people see that coming.
otherwise, as people have said, its all about the typhoons, twin cyclone terms, las plas rhino squads, ms vinnies and fully customisable marshalls (still best non-special hq imo, oh except for necron scarab lord).
one thing that a lot of people missed for a while there

I agree with you , the thing is that it is somewhat harder to win against some players but not always because you are making the mistakes - just a few changes with the rules and some characters could make this an average army

I will continue playing BT and hope for some changesz in the next codex .....I kinda think its time for a new one :) people here tend to dislike our rules (zeal) but I find it interresting and challenging to put your forces in the right places and use the rules instead of just dislike them .....you win some - and you lose some :)

Marshal
01-04-2013, 16:14

Black Templars

Marshall/Ld 10 RoB

Combi-meltagun

Power-sword

Melta-bombs

Emperors Champion

AAC/ Relic Blade

Master of Sanctity

Power fist/p. maul

Tactical Squad x 5

Multi-melta

Meltagun

3 bolters

Drop Pod

Tactical Squad x 5

Lascannon

Plasmagun

5 bolters

Tactical Squad x 7

flamer

Power Fist/Bolt Pistol

8 bolters

2 Neophytes

Drop Pod

Terminator Squad x 7

2TH/SS 5 PoLC

Land Raider Crusader

Blessed Hull

Land Speeder

Typhoon

Dreadnought

L.C./Missile Launcher

Venerable

Tank Hunter/Smoke

Predator

TLLC

side LC

smoke/searchlight

Vindicator

smoke/searchlight

Vindicator

smoke/searchlight

Before we go too far, your pointing is wrong on the power weapons on the HQ. There are 2 prices, the one is for models with 1 wound (the lower price), the second one is for models with more than 1 wound (the higher price).

DeathGlam
01-04-2013, 16:24
Would be a real shame if they got rolled back in to vanilla space marines as in terms of fluff they are more varied then any of the other current alternative SM codex's minus possibly SW which is open for debate, that being said, when i first started in the hobby my first army for a 2 years was BT when they just had extra rules in the Armageddon supplement and i still enjoyed playng them.