PDA

View Full Version : 'Blunt' Inquisitors?

Conscript
31-10-2012, 11:41
I just got through (once again) Ghostmaker by Dan Abnett and have read both the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies fairly recently. This got me thinking - Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Lilith (in Ghostmaker), Heldane (in First and Only) and Welt (in Armour of Contempt) all seem to be psykers to some degree. Therefore - is it possible for a 'blunt' (total non-psyker) to be an Inquisitor? Or is psyker ability some kind of requirement for the office of Inquisitor?

Just thinking.

Disciple of Caliban
31-10-2012, 12:08
it is entirely possible, though the pysker element is undoubtedly beneficial. As examples of non-psyker inquisitors check out codex grey knights. Also, if memory serves Kyptmann wasnt a psyker, and he's had more impact than almost any inquisior currently doing the rounds.

ftayl5
31-10-2012, 12:21
Certainly not a requirement. Psykers are more suited to the role perhaps, specifically if going after other Psykers.
But many Inquisitors have no such abilities at all.

gitburna
31-10-2012, 12:27
If they weren't psychic themselves, they must surely have some sort of psychically tuned individual in their retinue (astropath at least?)

How else could they detect the stink of the warp or witch? Perhaps a particulalrly unsubtle young inquisitor at the start of his career might avoid witchery in all its forms but one imagines that pragmatism and eventually radicalism would set in as his career progressed

AndrewGPaul
31-10-2012, 12:51
Bear in mind the Ordos most represented in the game; the Ordo Malleus is probably more likely to have powerful psykers among its ranks than the others, by virtue of their area of focus. To an extent, the same can be said of the Ordo Hereticus, being as they are concerned with hunting down "witches".

I can't remember if the rarely-seen Inquisitor who the characters in Scourge the Heretic and Innocence Proves Nothing is a psyker, but as Disciple of Caliban says, Kryptmann isn't - at least in his first appearance, he has to employ a sanctioned psyker to read the Deathspitter recovered from an abandoned ship.

An inquisitor who roots out "mundane" heretics - Martin Luther types who preach a doctrine contrary to that of the Ecclesiarchy, or corrupt Imperial Governors - probably has less need to be psychic, but is much less likely to end up in command of a platoon of Stormtroopers in a tabletop game. :)

Aluinn
31-10-2012, 13:25
If they weren't psychic themselves, they must surely have some sort of psychically tuned individual in their retinue (astropath at least?)

How else could they detect the stink of the warp or witch? Perhaps a particulalrly unsubtle young inquisitor at the start of his career might avoid witchery in all its forms but one imagines that pragmatism and eventually radicalism would set in as his career progressed

Arcane gear, basically. The psyocculum can detect psykers and be used by non-psykers, and there are many weapons and other tools that ordinary people can use but are particularly deadly to psykers or prevent their powers from working (cf null rod, Black Ship psyker suppression, etc.); they're just very rare and most of them are probably in the possession of the Ordo Hereticus and Ordo Malleus.

The background is pretty chock full of ways to interact with the Warp via technology without being a psyker, if you really think about it: using a Warp drive--notwithstanding that it's almost completely unpredictable without a Navigator--being amongst the most common, but there are many more. Technology can into the Warp and thus can mess with or detect psykers, so all you have to do is get your hands on it to hunt them effectively (well, that and be clever and well-educated about what they can and can't do), and that isn't too difficult for an Inquisitor to do.

Also, simply having the ability to command nearly any Imperial servant to do whatever you need them to do is probably a big help. There are, to an Inquisitor, given the ways they travel and the circles they move in, Astropaths everywhere for example, and any of them can be "commandeered" to help a witch hunt if need be, without necessarily ever being a formal part of Inquisition or the Inquisitor's retinue (not that that's really a formal thing either, but to the Inquisitor in question it probably carries some meaning beyond "people I've ordered to do things").

Cthell
31-10-2012, 13:54
The main inquisitor (ordo xenos) in the Ciaphas Cain series isn't a psyker, although she has a psyker in her retinue.

Ambience 327
31-10-2012, 14:40
Witch Hunter Tyrus, one of the three sample Inquisitors in the original Inquisitor rulebook, was not a Psyker and made it his personal mission to destroy any Psyker he came across.

Suspicious of all psykers, even those supposedly cleared by the Inquisition, it is Tyrusí creed to hunt down and exterminate every witch, mutant and warlock in the galaxy (including alien psykers).

wyvirn
31-10-2012, 19:23
I don't believe the original Inquisitor, Obi-Wan Sherlock Clouseau, was a Psyker.

Lord Damocles
31-10-2012, 19:27
It would be theoretically possible for a pariah (blunt/null/untouchable etc.) to become an Inquisitor, but like with Marine pariahs, there are all sorts of unlikely background hoops to jump through (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?354740-Pariah-Blank-Librarian-s&p=6462740&viewfull=1#post6462740) to get it to work.

Lord Inquisitor
31-10-2012, 19:43
I don't believe the original Inquisitor, Obi-Wan Sherlock Clouseau, was a Psyker.

Every time I read that it almost physically hurts.

I'm sure there were some non-psyker inquisitors in the eisenhorn trilogy. While there did seem to be a preponderance of psykers in the stories, I'm sure there were some. Was Lord Inquisitor Osma a psyker?

Muad'Dib
31-10-2012, 21:34
Osma didn't have psychic powers from what it appears - he didn't use any and was psy-shielded in his last appearance.

Chem-Dog
01-11-2012, 00:46
I just got through (once again) Ghostmaker by Dan Abnett and have read both the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies fairly recently....

Endor, Grumman, Molitor, Ricci, Neve, Orsini, Bezier, Rorken, Lyko, none of those names ring a bell?

is it possible for a 'blunt' (total non-psyker) to be an Inquisitor? Or is psyker ability some kind of requirement for the office of Inquisitor?

It's much more likely, imho, that an Inquisitor will not be Psychic, given that you can only be an Inquisitor if you make a certain grade of brainsmarts, the bar would be that much higher for psykers. Authors like having Inquisitors who can do mind stuff in their books. Especially as Protag/Antag.

Osma didn't have psychic powers from what it appears - he didn't use any and was psy-shielded in his last appearance.

Given who he was hunting and what he was after, nothing but a wise precaution. ;)

narrativium
01-11-2012, 01:10
It would be theoretically possible for a pariah (blunt/null/untouchable etc.) to become an Inquisitor, but like with Marine pariahs, there are all sorts of unlikely background hoops to jump through (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?354740-Pariah-Blank-Librarian-s&p=6462740&viewfull=1#post6462740) to get it to work.
You've dived into an interesting tangent there. I know there are several words for a pariah, but 'blunt' isn't one of them - it's a term which applies just as much to normal non-psykers. I think a pariah Inquisitor is more likely than a pariah Space Marine, though, if only because the challenges are more about strength of will than strength of body; a pariah has natural resistance/immunity to a lot of corruptive psychic attacks... at the cost of sensitivity to the kinds of activity they're supposed to be looking for.

Chem-Dog
01-11-2012, 01:29
know there are several words for a pariah, but 'blunt' isn't one of them - it's a term which applies just as much to normal non-psykers.

Though you're technically right, there seems to be enough ignorance on the matter that the uninitiated in the 40K setting might use the term. "Blunter" is certainly a slang name for pariahs in some parts of the Scarrus sector.

Lord Inquisitor
01-11-2012, 01:41
One would think a psychic null Inquisitor would have many advantages. Indeed the negative side effects might actually be an advantage.

Still, psychic nulls are very rare, individuals of caliber sufficient to become Inquisitors are very rare, finding a null of suitable caliber is rare squared. Although inquisitors do seek out and employ nulls so perhaps that raises the odds of being discovered.

underhivetrader
01-11-2012, 09:28
Pretty sure Inquisitor Roth from Henry Zuo's book Emperor's Mercy was a non-psyker, has been a while since i read it though.

Great book too, I liked his other one Flesh and Iron also. Not sure what happened to him though??

BL brought out those two from him a couple years back and nothing since.

It seemed like they where going for a series at the time as they were called "A Bastion Wars Novel". If anybody does know please tell me.

MyNameDidntFit
01-11-2012, 12:07
Endor, Grumman, Molitor, Ricci, Neve, Orsini, Bezier, Rorken, Lyko, none of those names ring a bell?
Precisely what I was thinking.

Though you're technically right, there seems to be enough ignorance on the matter that the uninitiated in the 40K setting might use the term. "Blunter" is certainly a slang name for pariahs in some parts of the Scarrus sector.
I would imagine that's because a null will 'blunt' psykers; one who 'blunts' would be a 'blunter'.

Zenithfleet
01-11-2012, 12:53
Going back a ways here, but Neil McIntosh's short story 'Seed of Doubt' featured an Inquisitor who wasn't a psyker.

Quite an interesting take on it, actually. The story is told from the perspective of a psyker in his retinue. She looks into his mind and is repelled by his nasty paranoid dogmatic tendencies--he'll murder in cold blood if someone's innocence is even slightly in doubt.

Later on she loses her own mindsight after a battle with Chaos and suddenly understands why he acts the way he does. If you're a blunt, anyone could be tainted and you wouldn't know. And the stakes are too high to allow even the slightest doubt or mercy. F'rinstance, what if the Inquisitor himself has become tainted during the battle...?

Of course, it was published in 1990 (by Boxtree, in the story collection Deathwing), so the background has changed a fair bit since then. There's certainly a lot of short bearded engineers running around...

narrativium
01-11-2012, 13:30
Pretty sure Inquisitor Roth from Henry Zuo's book Emperor's Mercy was a non-psyker, has been a while since i read it though.
Great book too, I liked his other one Flesh and Iron also. Not sure what happened to him though??
BL brought out those two from him a couple years back and nothing since.
It seemed like they where going for a series at the time as they were called "A Bastion Wars Novel". If anybody does know please tell me.
Henry Zou's third novel was Blood Gorgons, featuring Chaos Space Marines; it came out not longer after Flesh and Iron. He still attends Australian Games Days, but I've not heard of anything new he's writing.

Col. Dash
01-11-2012, 17:29
Draco was not a psyker if memory serves, but that was back when squats were still prevalent(one was in his retinue) and the Ordo Malleus was a small secret society of the inquisition and not a massive operation like it is in todays fluff. Still a bit weird, but some of the best inquisition books out there.

AndrewGPaul
01-11-2012, 17:34
No, Draco was a psyker. More of a telepath than a lightning-throwing telekinetic, though.

brionl
01-11-2012, 19:27

Pg 144 of Rogue Trader. It doesn't say specifically whether he does or not, but Inquisitors with Psychic powers were titled "Psy-Inquisitor" in other places so he probably doesn't. They do have a 50% chance to be psychic, as opposed to the general human 5% psychic rate.

agurus1
02-11-2012, 00:14
Can't Pariah's sense when a psyker is nearby, like in that HH novel about the Assassin's sent to kill Horus, the Pariah could sense warp presence even if they couldn't use the warp as a power. However this brings up the fact that most Pariah's being sought out for recruitment by the inquisition would probably become and assassin, and not an Inquisitor lol

BTJ
02-11-2012, 00:21
Precisely what I was thinking.

I would imagine that's because a null will 'blunt' psykers; one who 'blunts' would be a 'blunter'.
In the back of the 3.5 IG codex, it had a list of slang(hehe, treadfether) and blunt was a derogatory term used by sanctioned psykers for non-psykers, just like they're refered to as spooks and techpriests are cog-boys

Voss
02-11-2012, 01:13
Bear in mind the Ordos most represented in the game; the Ordo Malleus is probably more likely to have powerful psykers among its ranks than the others, by virtue of their area of focus. To an extent, the same can be said of the Ordo Hereticus, being as they are concerned with hunting down "witches".

Not necessarily in either case. The Imperium really does tend to view psychic ability as a gateway to corruption, and folks without strong will and strong ability usually don't make the cut. A Malleus inquisitor would be more vulnerable to the warp if psychic than if they weren't, though it would be true that the ones that are psychic would likely be very strong.

Chem-Dog
02-11-2012, 02:09

I remember there's a bit where Roth's attempting to commune with his boss via psychic communion, so yeah, he's a psyker, but not a powerful one. And yeah, I was kinda hoping for more, if nothing else, I wanted to find out what happened to Silverstein, that guy was incredibly awesome.

No doubt, that's how it reads to me.

Henry Zou's third novel was Blood Gorgons, featuring Chaos Space Marines; it came out not longer after Flesh and Iron. He still attends Australian Games Days, but I've not heard of anything new he's writing.

Published in 2009, 2010 and 2011, it's entirely possible he's still banging away on his next one. I hope so.

Can't Pariah's sense when a psyker is nearby, like in that HH novel about the Assassin's sent to kill Horus, the Pariah could sense warp presence even if they couldn't use the warp as a power. However this brings up the fact that most Pariah's being sought out for recruitment by the inquisition would probably become and assassin, and not an Inquisitor lol

Nemesis. I can't really remember it to be honest, Iota or Spear? Despite the slightly wonky premise of the story, Spear is a really interesting idea, one I rather enjoyed. If it is Spear who is sensing stuff, all bets are off because of...well, what has been done to him.