PDA

View Full Version : Moria Goblins and Cave Trolls question (Heeeelp)

Jack Spratt
31-10-2012, 22:08
Hey

I am about to buy a pile of Moria Goblins and Cave Trolls. My buddy and I like to play games that take about 3 - 4 hours to play. We want to play SBG (not Wotr). I imagine a list of Moria Goblins, Cave Trolls and what ever else makes such an army good and playable. My questions are theese:

How many Moria Goblins and Cave Trolls can i expect to use in a SBG game that is to last around 3 or 4 hours?
Can you give me any hints about the point cost of Moria Goblins and Cave Trolls?
Do I need to buy the Moria and Angmar book to play a Moria list?

If anyone have a comparable armylist lying around, then I would love to see it.

Any answers or help in general would be great.

Also, as a side note I plan on a Mordor list as my main list in the future. I simply love the Nazgul, the winged Nazgul, the Morgul Knights and the Mordor Orcs, the Mordor trolls (all of their troll models are just awesome). If you have any reason for me NOT to make a small beginner Moria list first, then please say so.

Best regards,
Jack

Whitwort Stormbringer
01-11-2012, 08:37
A 3-4 hour SBG game would be pretty huge in terms of points, so you're probably looking at a lot of goblins. Can't really give an estimate in numbers, as it depends heavily on your force composition (which characters and how many, how many cave trolls, etc.)

Which books you need depends on how important it is to you to be up to date on the most current rules. You could field a force of Moria goblins and cave trolls with only the Mines of Moria rule booklet, although I would suggest getting the big rulebook since it has more detailed rules and profiles for several factions, not just Moria.

If you want the current official rules you'll need the Moria and Angmar book, but there's no reason you couldn't use the profiles from the rulebook instead if just playing friendly games with someone you know rather than in-store. Just keep in mind that the big rulebook was written before many models of the current range was released, so there are fewer profiles in it than in the newer force books, which are up-to-date and should cover everything.

Exactly how your army is structured will also depend on which books you decide to get, as the current force books use a warband system in which you pick a hero and then assign 0-12 warriors to that hero.

tl;dr You can get by without the Moria and Angmar book, but will have more limited options. How many goblins you can field depends on other aspects of force composition, but for a 3-4 hour game it's going to be a lot.

Jack Spratt
01-11-2012, 20:56
Thank you Mr. Stormbringer :)

Whitwort Stormbringer
02-11-2012, 11:25
FWIW I was just reading a thread in the rumors forum and it sounds probable that the current big rulebook is being discontinued and there will be a new one this Xmas, so in light of that I would wait and get that one instead.

King Arthur
04-11-2012, 12:46
you would need a alot as goblins are about 5pts and about 1.5k-2k would be efficant and cave trolls are 80pts with nothing according to the rulebook unsure in the Moria and Angmar book though so you will need alot

Rhurick
08-11-2012, 20:51
To give you an idea i play a kid in my local store who runs about 35 regular goblins in 750 points. But a lot of his points are eaten up by Dwellers in the dark and shaman, can't remember how much a goblin is base other then that its a lot less then most troops.

Tarliyn
14-11-2012, 19:43
Why not play 2 1.5 hour games or 3 hour long games?

Seems you would get more variety of play that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk