PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Tournament WoC

Lord Dan
01-11-2012, 23:02
Here's the list I'm taking to a tournament this weekend. There's no comp, and the scenarios are standard out of the book:

Battleline
The Watchtower
Battle for the Pass

There are some extra objectives for each scenario (kill the enemy general, survive a miscast, etc.) however I can't recall them exactly. Basically these are the only models I have, and I'm looking for help with rearranging equipment and magic items to optimize the list:

Lv. 4, MoT, Barded Steed, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation, Third Eye
Lv. 1, Lore of Death, Power Familiar
Exhalted, MoT, Shield, BSB
Exhalted, MoT, Shield
Throgg

20 Warriors, MoT, Shields, Full Command
7 Trolls

20 Chosen, MoT, Shields, Halberds, Full Command, Banner of Rage
9 Forsaken
9 Forsaken

I was surprised to find that this army scored something like a 5 on the Swedish comp system, due primarily to the Chosen with halberds and Throgg. So, thoughts?

m1acca1551
02-11-2012, 01:29
Not what you would normally see in a tourny granted, but it may surprise a few people, i actually quite like the list as it is, most of my experience of WoC come from the other side of the board and i really wouldnt know how to go about countering this list straight away unlike other woc list that you can expect.

Lord Dan
02-11-2012, 02:00
Not what you would normally see in a tourny granted, but it may surprise a few people, i actually quite like the list as it is, most of my experience of WoC come from the other side of the board and i really wouldnt know how to go about countering this list straight away unlike other woc list that you can expect.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Really that element of surprise is the only thing going for me, as my opponents will all be regulars (about 12 of us) and they're expecting me to bring Wood Elves. In my playtesting against a friend we found the list surprisingly fast for WoC, with the Forsaken and Trolls half-way across the board turn 2 thanks to their Mv6. This allows my slower but harder-hitting chosen to lumber into an advantageous position without having every ranged weapon focused on them.

I'm feeling very confident about the watchtower, as I'll likely just let my opponent have the tower with their puny 20> core unit and take it from him with my chosen. If he wins the roll off and lets me have it I still have a tough 20-strong sword and board unit of warriors to hold the tower.

Kayosiv
02-11-2012, 03:54
Forsaken of course aren't optimal but you know that already, so I'll just stick the the character options critiques.

I don't see the point of the second exalted hero. 4 strength 5 attacks is not worth over 100 points. He needs to do something that the unit he's in can't do. Whether you give him a stubborn crown to affect his unit, make him have a higher strength, or make him more accurate with a +1 to hit or an always strike first sword, he's not really "doing" much that any unit he joins can't accomplish without him. You'd probably be better off not using him and just getting more chaos warriors, but since you don't have more models, make sure he contributes to his unit in such a way that he's worth taking over more warriors. He could also be the general, considering that all your heroes are leadership 8.

Speaking of, your entire army is leadership 8, meaning that inspiring presence won't matter. This is bad, as 8 is only average. You should put a standard of discipline inside your warriors unit and put your general in it to give out leadership 9 to multiple units. If you don't do this, the unit should have at least some sort of magical banner.

Your wizard lord has nowhere to go, so he will be off on his own. Buy him a charmed shield as it is cheap, will let him survive a cannonball shot probably, and will bring him from a 2+ armor save to a 1+.

Buy some sort of enhanced armor for that BSB. Either an enchanted shield or a dragohelm to get him a 2+ armor save.

Lord Dan
02-11-2012, 04:42
Those are some great points there, Kayosiv. I made a few changes based on your suggestions:

Lv. 4, MoT, Barded Steed, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation, Third Eye

Exhalted, MoT, Shield, BSB
Exhalted (General), MoT, Shield, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone
Throgg

19 Warriors, MoT, Shields, Full Command, Standard of Discipline
7 Trolls

8 Forsaken
8 Forsaken

I dropped a warrior and two forsaken to afford some extra protection for the exhalted to be my general, as well as the standard of discipline on the warriors that he'll join to he broadcasts leadership 9. The list sits at 2496 as is, and I can't find a way to drop a point and add the charmed shield on the lv. 4.

m1acca1551
02-11-2012, 05:34
You will just have to be very carefull as to where you move him then haha

Lord Dan
02-11-2012, 05:46
You will just have to be very carefull as to where you move him then haha

Well, I mean worst-case scenario is that the army then goes back to having his Ld. 8, which they would have had without the banner anyway. For the cost of a Forsaken model it seems like a win-win to me.

Kayosiv
02-11-2012, 10:14

The list sits at 2496 as is, and I can't find a way to drop a point and add the charmed shield on the lv. 4.

Replace the dawnstone with a luckstone or an opal amulet.

Warrior unit could probably lose it's musician and be OK.

You could lose a troll and turn it into a charmed shield and a ward save on the BSB (or magic banner for that matter)

Lord Dan
02-11-2012, 15:00
Replace the dawnstone with a luckstone or an opal amulet.

Warrior unit could probably lose it's musician and be OK.

You could lose a troll and turn it into a charmed shield and a ward save on the BSB (or magic banner for that matter)

BSB already has a 5++ in combat. Do you think he needs more than that?

Kayosiv
02-11-2012, 22:00
Need no, but you're gonna get extra points, since you only need 1 for the charmed shield.

Lord Dan
02-11-2012, 22:08
Okay, here's what I think is the final incarnation. I dropped the musician from the warriors, which with the 4 I had leftover from earlier meant I had 10 points to play with:

Lv. 4, MoT, Barded Steed, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation, Third Eye, Charmed Shield

Exhalted, MoT, Shield, BSB, Ironcurse Icon
Throgg

19 Warriors, MoT, Shields, Standard, Champion, Standard of Discipline
7 Trolls

8 Forsaken
8 Forsaken

LordKrell
02-11-2012, 22:15
Can't you just give the BSB the charmed shield, instead of a regular one?

Lord Dan
02-11-2012, 22:18
Can't you just give the BSB the charmed shield, instead of a regular one?

I could, however I think it'd be better suited on the Lv. 4 who is more prone to catching cannonballs.