PDA

View Full Version : World War Z trailer thingy

C. Langana
07-11-2012, 13:00
Good news:

World War Z is apparently still alive and shambling. A trailer of the trailer (I have no idea what that is either) has been posted.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35697

Bad news:

Looks dire.

Burnthem
07-11-2012, 13:36
The zombie animation looks very 'I Am Legend'-y, which is a bad thing in my book.

Will wait and see, but not getting my hopes up.

The Dire Troll
07-11-2012, 21:28
From what I have heard, its not even based on the book.

blackcherry
08-11-2012, 19:12
Its been heavily re written several times, after being loosely based on the book in the first place. So its jettisoned the only thing that made it more than just a standard zombie story, leaving us with...a standard zombie film that has cost almost as much as the proposed Mountains of Madness film :(

Avian
08-11-2012, 20:53
I like the literal avalanche of zombies, but the way they have decided to take a book that has a quite fresh take on the zombie genre and make a movie about something else entirely, has me pre-emptively hating it. I find it offensive that the only thing left of the book is the title.

Gimp
09-11-2012, 06:24
Yeah I loved the book, its fresh take on Zombies was amazing.

This looks like as someone mentioned a "I am Legend" sqeual which was not that good to begin with.

Oh well looks like Hollywood has destroyed another one of my dreams. I am still dreading the USA version of Oldboy :/

New Cult King
09-11-2012, 06:39
Oh my. How could they have missed the entire point of the book any more than this trailer implies?

ctsteel
09-11-2012, 09:37
My enthusiasm for this movie (I read the book last year) has just fallen flat.

Mister_Q
09-11-2012, 09:57
Why bother paying for the rights and then ignoring the source material? They could have just made the movie and called it "Zombie War" and saved a bundle.

x-esiv-4c
09-11-2012, 13:10
ehh...Zombies still popular?

Easy E
09-11-2012, 14:35
It looks okay, but nothing special.

Made me think more of the Stephen King story "Cell" than "World War Z"

cpl_hicks
11-11-2012, 00:03
The proper trailer is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk)

It does look like they have gone differant from other zombie films, whihc are nomrally small groups of individuals in a limited situation (Malls, prisons etc) and have gone for a more global spanning view, whihc we havent had before.

Void Reaper
11-11-2012, 01:41
Standard zombie fiction (of which the book is, despite being well thought out and nicely written, still very much an example) bores me. I like the look of this---looks to me that the "zombies" have been somehow altered to behave like army ants. A neat idea, we'll see how it pans out.

emperorpenguin
11-11-2012, 09:56
I am dubious as the book was, for the most part, good. However I found the battle of Yonkers to be stupid and not believable. At least in this it'll be actually terrifying

RunepriestRidcully
11-11-2012, 15:49
It's a shame, as it is one of my favorite books, and I would love to see sequels.. but the film looks as if it is only related to the book by zombies and the name, seem familiar?

x-esiv-4c
12-11-2012, 11:07
This looks awful.

Daniel36
12-11-2012, 12:13
First trailer I saw, I thought "ARGH". The one cpl gave us the link to, I am thinking "Hmmm..."
It'll be mindless Zombiefest. I like mindless every now and then.

GomezAddams
12-11-2012, 12:29
Am I disappointed by it? Yes. Could I have done it any better? Not a chance. Honestly think about the book and try and work out a narative from it no longer then 3 hours where it all makes sense. It can't be done because theres so many individual stories.

Thats why it should have been a TV show along the lines of X files or Twilight Zone. One maybe two episode stories.

emperorpenguin
12-11-2012, 13:46
The original leaked screenplay was written by J Michael Straszynski of Babylon 5 fame and approached the movie as a post-Z war conspiracy thriller. Obviously that got chucked out along with JMS. I wonder how it would have worked?

blackcherry
12-11-2012, 14:18
I would have liked world war z to be a mock documentary/history series. Its the best format that would have worked I feel, even if it would have stuck to the book quite rigidly, there would have been room to play with things.

Artinam
12-11-2012, 19:48
It has little to nothing to do with the book. Mindless zombie action, can be great but it will probably not be the 'deep' zombie movie I and other fans were looking for.

x-esiv-4c
13-11-2012, 11:03
Agreed Blackcherry. I think that would be the only way to convey the notion of the book to the fullest extent.

VanHel
27-11-2012, 05:37
Wow. That looks terrible.

AndrewGPaul
27-11-2012, 08:47
The book isn't really about zombies, though. It's about humanity's response to a global catastrophe. If you want it close to the feel of the book, you're not making a zombie movie - you're making a interview/documentary series. Something like World At War with the odd bit of "archive footage", or the bookends from Band of Brothers with the actual Easy Company veterans talking. That would probably work well on television (with the added bonus of being really cheap to make), but it doesn't sound like a recipe for a good summer blockbuster. :)

AsleepByDay
28-11-2012, 12:31
The book isn't really about zombies, though. It's about humanity's response to a global catastrophe. If you want it close to the feel of the book, you're not making a zombie movie - you're making a interview/documentary series. Something like World At War with the odd bit of "archive footage", or the bookends from Band of Brothers with the actual Easy Company veterans talking. That would probably work well on television (with the added bonus of being really cheap to make), but it doesn't sound like a recipe for a good summer blockbuster. :)

Live action shorts that acted out the scenes described with some over arching narration would work as well, your overall point that it would make a poor film still stands though :)

AndrewGPaul
28-11-2012, 21:44
Oh, I agree that you'd need some zombie footage - but it should be presented as flashback, archive or documentary footage, and it should be there to support the main thrust of the film.

I take back what I said about it being cheap - you'd need some cracking character actors to pull it off well, and they'd be expensive. You might get a surprise hit - the zombie equivalent of Frost/Nixon or When We Were Kings.