PDA

View Full Version : The future of WFB

m1acca1551
08-11-2012, 05:56
G'day all,

AS you can guess from the title i'd like to see/know the future of WFB and more importantly what YOU as fellow gamers/customers/collecters would like to see happen to;

A) Your army books
B) The Main rule system
C) The overall fluff
etc etc

WFB has many avenues it can open in regards to how it can explore the warhammer world by adding new races (cathay, nippon), lore, advancing the time line, resurrecting old factions notable kislev, border princes (DOW) and in further exploit our never ending plastic addiction.

My ideas are as follows;

Introduction of a weather system that can affect in game by dealing with movement penalties due to heavy rains turning the battle ground into a marsh etc a simple 2d6 chart with varieing results ranging from sunshine, butterflies and the screams of maimed men too torential downpour meaning movement in hampered by -1 to infantry and d3 for cav both light and heavy etc

Monsters become more brutal making them harder to kill, even though it may mean they become more expensive points wise it'll be fore the better as long as obvious counters like laser guided cannons are no longer running the show.

Cathay, nippon to be brough out from the fluff into the light of day, kislev to become a stand alone army not simply empire with snow flock on the base, i would like to see norsca become more independant from the chaos gods and the other tribes.

The time line to be moved to a decade after the current incursion, archaon got daemonhood (pleases the woc fanboys) the empire has known a relative peace yet the descendant of the prince of solland has made a claim for his throne, backed by a confederacy of border princes, mirigliano etc has an army readdy to march on the southern empire to claim what is rightfully his, something new from the old chaos OMG were going to die.

The dwarfs take back eight peaks... yeah thats right... so sick of dwarfs being the puching bags of the WFB world, may endear new players to pick up dwarfs, as if you read the book you get depressed from the constant losses an tales of woe

I know this may be wishlisting and for the most part dreaming but hey its my hobby and my fantasy :P

So lets see what your ideas are and what you would like to see happen to our game!

DaemonprincePaul
08-11-2012, 06:08
id like malekith to finally invade ulthuan successfully

Blkc57
08-11-2012, 06:08
Honestly I just like them to keep the updates and FAQs coming in a timely manner like it was initially promised.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
08-11-2012, 07:23
I'd like to see a dissection of your typical orc village and a fleshing out of how the lot actually live when they aren't on the rampage. I'd also like to see more artwork of greenskins just doing their thing, instead of brandishing a weapon whilst advancing at breakneck speed. Essentially, I'd like to see the "out of battle" aspects of the orcoid races fleshed out.

I also want a Black Orc monstrous cavalry unit, or at least Black Orc Boar Boyz.

Effigies and Idols.

New stories about some of the smaller waaaghs!

Brian Nelson sculpts.

I'd like a return of the tradition of putting a short story at the end of army books. In my early days as a hobbyist, it was these stories that sealed the deal for me and made sure I was obsessed with Warhammer straight to college.

m1acca1551
08-11-2012, 07:39
I'd like to see a dissection of your typical orc village and a fleshing out of how the lot actually live when they aren't on the rampage. I'd also like to see more artwork of greenskins just doing their thing, instead of brandishing a weapon whilst advancing at breakneck speed. Essentially, I'd like to see the "out of battle" aspects of the orcoid races fleshed out.

I also want a Black Orc monstrous cavalry unit, or at least Black Orc Boar Boyz.

Effigies and Idols.

New stories about some of the smaller waaaghs!

Brian Nelson sculpts.

I'd like a return of the tradition of putting a short story at the end of army books. In my early days as a hobbyist, it was these stories that sealed the deal for me and made sure I was obsessed with Warhammer straight to college.

This i would like to see, breaking down and opening up of orc culture apart from the whole waaagh stomp *i do believe that GW has tried to intentionaly avoid this as they don't want to end up like warcraft orcs, even for chaos, there must be cities in which the woc live alongside each other in a state of mutual distrust ala 40k huron black hearts empire.

Black orc boar boys.... would be awesome, maybe a large type of war boar??

A return of short stories would be great, i still re-read my earlier army books to get some of that sweet fluff, the empire one with marius and KF going to town is still my favourite!!

Kula
08-11-2012, 07:45
My army: I play Dark Elves so I really want them to remove eternal hatred from the hydra and up it to 200 points. With that, people will stop whining about it as much and we will see less double hydra lists.

I also want to see strike in initiative order Executioners and maybe up their point cost by a few. They have trained with those blades for decades and maybe centuries. They are not swordmasters, but they arent mortal empire greatswords either. Now you basically have to have a Hag BSB with the ASF banner and it its an "all your eggs in one basket" kinda thing which I don't like.

I would like to get the beastmasters back, giving us the option to field different type of beasts that we can prod forward. The fluff is packed to brim about how many monsters the DE found in the underworld sea area, give us the option to send them at our enemies.

Main rule system: Tone down the last spell in most of the lores, the "chuck all the dice at it and hope for IF" deal is frustrating.

I do not like True line of sight. Give us the simplifed ETC comp. style or the systematic line of sight rules.

Let chariots march ffs! Atleast like a march distance -2 or something, atleast with that, they can keep up with the infantry, which is not too much to ask imho.

Fluff: I like the the dwarfs taking back 8 peaks idea mentioned earlier. Maybe restoring the underway while they are at it. Dwarfs find a way to make rat poison, destroys millions of skaven and because of that, they loses their grip around the worlds edge mountains.

SVKBaki
08-11-2012, 09:26
I would like to see some advance in the story, if not in the core editions then at least in some books like to storm of chaos was (imho it was great), or at least with something like Tamurkhan was.

Such great world as Warhammer is, needs to move forward at least a bit (I am bored to read the same fluff recycled in every army book), currently it is very static.

But on the realistic note, I will be happy if the remaining non-8th armybooks receive at least white dwarf official update with price,statistics and rules update (with new models at least for major release together with new army book/battalion) and update the FAQ more frequently and address the problematic rules and RAW/RAI issues.

Lord Solar Plexus
08-11-2012, 09:34
I would like to see Woodies and Skaven redone asap, and everything else staying more or less the same. A weather system is far too complicated and something for computer games, monsters are hard enough to kill already, and Cathay and Nippon should never again see the light of day.

logan054
08-11-2012, 10:15
A) Your army books :

Well for my main army I would like to see a lot of things change, the eotg rule needs some serious tweaking to make it less of a draw back, I would like to see the daemonic mounts go back to 3 wounds, actually like the synergy you see with daemons and characters, something like that with combat heroes in units of the same god would be very cool, I want to see mono-khorne armies much more viable without having to use wizards, warhsrines changed, chariots with daemonic mount options. I really want to see chosen heavily changed, none pf this eotg nonsense we have now, it would be cool if they came with encscrolled weapons (I don't see why chaos characters don't have a option to take these either), I would like to see some flying unit added, hellcannons tweaked, shaggoths and dragon ogres buffed slightly (+1T), Chaos gifts redone so they are more like the vampire powers, daemon princes made viable. I want to see better though out pricing for marks, spawn made viable again.

Archoan should be a chaos spawn ;)

B) The Main rule system:

Nothing major here, I would like to see the all the spell lores to be rough equal power, something along the lines of the lore of vampires, good, but more about supporting the army rather than winning the game (hi purple sun), removing striking in I order on the charge, make BSB's so they don't allow rerolls of psychology tests, Id like to see more of a charge advantage for fast moving units, rather than simply a couple of inches over infantry (its a bit silly), change regen so it isn't just a weak wardsave, tweak steadfast, update the WS charge so WS is more important. I would like to see more power added to fear and terror, no auto breaking like the old days, terror with a bubble would be good. Ethereal could use some tweaking, maybe so non-magical attacks had a slight chance of wound while magical didn't mean instant delete.

C) The overall fluff:

I would have like to see what happened after the Storm of chaos, rather than pretending it didn't happen, I would love to see more campaign books like that which have a effect on the fluff of the game, just without the silly endings.

Bagge
08-11-2012, 11:00
A weather system is far too complicated and something for computer games
There were rules for weather conditions in the Albion campaign a few years back.

boli
08-11-2012, 12:53
Personally I would love it if magic was toned down *significantly*;

* Magic phase concerned with buffs, debuffs and counter-spells
* Shooting phase when they can cast small scale fireballs / lightning etc.

Spells which effect entire units (regardless of size) and/or spread to other units should be altered or removed entirely; Having spells which deal 50% causalities to a unit regardless if it is 5 men and a dog or 5,000 strong is just... wrong.

reminds me of a quote from the "Riftwar Saga"

Erik said, 'I keep wondering about those magicians. The Queen uses them. Why don't we?'
Owen smiled. 'I expect we'll have a few magical surprises in store for them. But do you remember Nakor's explanation of why you don't use magicians in warfare? He repeated it often enough.'
Erik laughed. 'Yes, I remember, "First magician throws spell in battle, then second magician throws counterspell, then third magician tries to help first magician, and fourth magician tries to aid second, then army shows up and chops them all while they're throwing magic around,"' he mimicked.
Greylock laughed. 'You do a terrible impression of Nakor.'

Magic being warrior priests who buff units and cast some spells = good.
Magic being able to cast two spells and bascially decide the game = bad.

This will mean battles are fought and decided mainly on tactical thinking, unit/army composition rather than often on a single role of the dice in a single magic phase. It would also make the armies much easier to balance internally and externally.

Lord Solar Plexus
08-11-2012, 12:59
There were rules for weather conditions in the Albion campaign a few years back.

With butterflies and maimed men?

Sorry, my point stands. In my opinion, it would unnecessarily complicate things. At my age, I've already got trouble remembering all that new-fangled terrain. ;-)

MiyamatoMusashi
08-11-2012, 13:06
Magic has got to be toned down. I've not played Warhammer in nearly a year and I don't miss it. Might as well just take it in turns to roll a handful of dice, the first one to roll two or more 6s wins.

Beyond that there's a bunch more stuff that could be done (though don't advance the timeline; it's a setting, not a story) but unless they fix magic, I'm not interested anyway.

Haravikk
08-11-2012, 13:09
I'd like to see Daemons rolled back into the Warriors of Chaos, or at least made a supplement released alongside, or immediately after, the Warriors of Chaos book. Finally cut out the redundancy, and make mixed armies easier again, particularly mono-god armies with rules that work well together. Beastmen are okay on their own, but it'd be nice if the warriors book made more focus on basic monsters (e.g - regular ogres and trolls) that are then upgraded with mutations and marks to let them represent a variety of things, so you can still sort of include Beastmen directly into your army.

For Dwarfs, reclaiming Karak Eight Peaks would be a definite boon, maybe have them gain a more significant foothold as it could be a good opportunity for a campaign to see they can keep it. Also explains away new tech gathered. Mostly Dwarfs need more pronounced and interesting rules for their combat units, maybe some hard as nails two Wound troops as a kind of Monstrous Infantry equivalent, and some new vehicle(s) that can be used like chariots to let us run proper support units. A more buff-oriented set of characters with Runepriests etc. having some kind of magical improvements they can give, even if it's still not proper magic. Though personally I'd like to have access to proper magic, maybe topping out at Level 2 (except with an Anvil) but with no Miscasts or Irresistible Force since Dwarf use of runes should be more predictable.

For the overall game I'd like to see more rock, paper, scissors elements; for example spear infantry gain some concept of reach that can balance spears against other weapon types, and make them a bit better at defending against cavalry, with pikes providing stronger cavalry defence but not being quite so good against infantry. Maybe even weapon types in a style like 40k's Power Weapons changes, with options for axes, hammers or swords instead of plain hand weapons, so you can trade the to-wound bonus of an axe against the speed of a sword or the save modifier of a hammer. I'd also like to see some additional formations to give us more decisions to make on how we position and combine infantry units. Maybe add close range for missile weapons (i.e - +1 to hit at quarter range) to make missile troops a little better again. Definitely need to re-add partial Victory Points to discourage death stars, and strip Leadership bonuses for disrupted units (to reduce but not eliminate Steadfast on big cheap units). And a rethink of magic; personally I'd prefer weaker but more reliable magic, mostly aimed at augments and hexes rather completely stealing the thunder from shooting units, though armies that are shooting weak could of course make exceptions here.

The magic phase in 8th is fun most of the time, but it has real potential to spoil games when it goes too far either way, and it doesn't really seem to have a role in the overall tactics of the game, unless horde and steadfast in managing infantry, carefully managing or countering shooting and so-on. It still needs to be somewhat random, as it it's partly intended to keep games from being too predictable, but it's real niché is in supporting units but currently it can be too unreliable or too powerful to fit well into planning a strategy.

BigbyWolf
08-11-2012, 13:11
Core system- Leave it as is. 8th edition has brought in a decent number of players, far more than have left. Why alientate people when a lot of them are happier with the game than they have been in a long time.

Tone down the uber-spell is all that needs doing for magic.

Update a couple of armies to help them work with this edition.

That should be all that it needs.

Tarliyn
08-11-2012, 13:43
No new army booka for now. GW arguably has to much on their plate right now. Advancing the story would be alright I guess. Warhammer also has a lot of untapped history too. A campagin book set in the past might be pretty cool. Continue improving the army books. The short stories mentioned above would be a good start; as well as a battle report and basic painting guide. I dont mind paying a premium if you give me a premium product.

Scuplt quality is ace right now and finecast is getting itself worked out more and more, but finally getting finecast to as consistent a quality as old metal would be nice (something else that would be nice is if the community would loose its rose colored glasses to metal models as well, lol). Looking even further beyond finecast having all plastic model lines is looking more and more realistic of a possibly every release.

Just some things I thought of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T9nv3
08-11-2012, 14:59
I think 8th is pretty solid. Steadfast, of course, should be disrupted by a flank charge and "something" needs to be done about flying mounts (even a small ward save on turns that they flew would make them more attractive)....but other than that I'm pretty happy.

Overall, my biggest gripe has to do with the slow pace of army book releases....8th has been out for over 2 years now and we've only had updates on 5 books.

Malorian
08-11-2012, 15:34
A) Your army books
B) The Main rule system
C) The overall fluff

A) I have a lot of armies, but the main thing I want to see is more options. I want to see lords have access to monsters and units have access to more weapons. Plus more units.

B) Disruption takes away steadfast. Rolling two or more 1s means the spell fails (miscast still possible). Dice you can throw to cast or dispel equals your magic level +2 (dwarfs gain magic resist).

C) It just needs to move forward. I don't care what they do but it needs to move forward.

Dark Aly
08-11-2012, 15:59
I'd like armies without magic to be as successful as armies with, just as armies without artillary can be just as effective as armies with artillary. The same goes for monsters too well infact all choices to a degree.

Advancing the fluff away from being on the edge of ultimate doom would be great and the 8 peaks idea is cool but please don't get rid of skarsnik.

Some more entertaining magic items (especially for O&Gs) as the ones we have left are a bit uninspired.

Ohman
08-11-2012, 16:37
I've always wanted to see "paired" army books. Kind of like what they did in Epic but better! Something like this:

Warhammer Realms: The Forest Kingdoms
Chaos Beastmen, Wood Elf and Forest Goblin army lists. History and fluff about the great forests of the Warhammer world, rules for fighting battles in forest, modelling articles etc.

Warhammer Realms: The Mountain Strongholds
Night Goblin and Dwarf armylists. History and fluff about great mountain fortresses etc.

Warhammer Realms: Realms Of Men
Empire, Bretonnia...etc...etc...

Exactly how the armies are paired doesn't matter as long as the book has a strong theme. I would love to see books like this but realize that they would be problematic from a gamer perspective.

Vipoid
08-11-2012, 16:52
My Army (Vampire Counts):

- SCs that are actually alive in the fluff (or as alive as Vampires get, anyway...)

- Varghulf gains The Hunger

- Non-vampiric units can march when not within 12" of the general if a Vampiric character is attached to the squad.

- Master Strike lets you designate one attack to have HKB.

- Make Corpse Cart actually able to keep up with the army.

- Option for Halberds on Vampires/Vampire Lords would be nice.

In general:

- More army-specific magic items! I'm fed up of having to always use McBoring's Dull Shop for Bland Items.

- Fewer/no OP spells. I'd really rather things like Purple Sun got toned down - preferably so they inflict wounds, rather than just removing models outright.

- Miscast table takes into account number of dice used to cast the spell.

- Random terrain rolled for *before* game starts - not when entered - and terrain is magical on a 5+ or 6+, not on a 2+.

- Cannons only hit mount or rider - not both.

Might add something else if I think of it.

SimaoSegunda
08-11-2012, 16:54
I'm waiting to see how the Warhammer Forge books affect things. If they end up being a kind of "Imperial Armour" for fantasy, with new units, and different army lists (e.g. Forest/Savage greenskin lists, Forest Spirit lists, Kislev lists) but kept out of the "Core" range, so that they can be updated hodge-podge, in true FW style, then I can see that keeping me happy for a fair few years.

I like the idea of having GWs excellent core range to draw people in and keep younger/ less intense going, and use FW as a way of keeping veterans interested / giving them new toys to play with.

pirateoftaiwan
08-11-2012, 17:58
How about giving cavalry impact hits (but just one impact hit at the mount's strength) against infantry. I think that this might make cavalry more viable against blocks of infantry without making them op.

Storyteller
08-11-2012, 20:25
How about giving cavalry impact hits (but just one impact hit at the mount's strength) against infantry. I think that this might make cavalry more viable against blocks of infantry without making them op.

I agree with pirateoftaiwan - I'm not expert on game balance or anything like that, but I've often felt that impact hits would help capture the right feel of the shock charge.

shakedown47
08-11-2012, 20:35
For Warriors of Chaos (my army) I'd like to see an update of the fluff; if we're going to pretend Storm of Chaos didn't happen, fine, but I don't like that Archaon is just the Fantasy version of Abaddon. I'd like to see Chaos be a real and immediate threat to the Dwarves and Empire; basically if Kislev isn't going to return as a standalone army then I'd like Chaos to be occupying it. The same goes for the Dark Elves and Ulthuan; I'd love to see a Dark Elf occupation on some tiny corner of Ulthuan and have that be the driving source of conflict there. The fluff now stands at "constant war to keep the nasties at bay" and I'd like it to be changed to "constant war because **** just got real."

Disruption breaks steadfast.

In general, and this would affect 40k, I'd like to see an army book released roughly every other month or so, beginning after the release of a new edition. That way, nearly every army will have a workable book two years into an edition and the rest of the edition's lifespan can be spent on updates and campaign books, as well as flavorful WD updates and alternate lists. To help with this, we could see things like a return to an Undead book, where your choice of general (mummy or vampire) unlocks other troop choices. Bretonnia could have human knights and wood elf allies (or the other way around, again depending on choice of generals/heros) and so on and so forth. On the 40k side, the most obvious thing would be to lump Eldar and Dark Eldar together into a single book, as well as all of the Astartes excepting maybe Grey Knights. The single biggest complaint about either game system, and probably moreso Fantasy, seems to be the slow trickle of books and along with that severely outdated rules and power levels.

pirateoftaiwan
09-11-2012, 05:02
I would like to see the return of the Dogs of War. I just like the pikes and the idea that if the paymaster dies then the whole army must take a panic test and then hates the enemy army. "you killed the dude with the money... NOW YOU DIE!!!!!"

passwordman
09-11-2012, 05:46
A) Your army books
For the Dwarfs the armylist needs more variation and some way of making them move more. For the fluff taking some holds back would be a good start.
For the High Elves the armylist needs more core and rare choices. For the fluff more information on what they're doing outside Ulthuan.

B) The Main rule system
Make it easier to march block, reduce BSB abilities and give bonuses to initiative for charging and using different weapons. Change it so the magic level you're allowed is based on the points level, increase the amount of spells ( lower level spells being about buffing your army, hexing the enemy and weak magic missles) and with each increase in level you would get access to more powerful spells. Line of Sight blocking terrain.

C) The overall fluff
I'd like to see the fluff move away from impending doom with forces of order being more offensive than defensive.

If Cathay and Nippon were to be given books they would have to be non-human and fight differently to other armies.

For the weather systen it could be part of a supplement that looks at fighting in different environments around the world and perhaps have some decent siege and campaign rules.

Passwordman

Urgat
09-11-2012, 06:24
A) OnG: fleshing out of common and forest goblins, with at least a special choice for forest gobs, and something fun, anything, for common gobs.
OK: they're pretty fine really. Balancing the mournfangs and the cannon thing, but other than that... oh, yeah: fleshing out the gnobblars, I was sad they were left aside so much in the new book.

B) back to previous skirmisher rules (at least for movement, I hate the tray thing)
MR works on everything
miscast table gets harsher the more dice you use when you miscast (2D6: mild risks; 6D6: lethal risks for the sorcerer and all those nearby)
US back?
goddamned base sizes incluced in the unit profile at last

C) rather than move forward, move sideways. Not necessarily new armybooks, but involving the rest of the world more.

Lord Solar Plexus
09-11-2012, 12:05
How about giving cavalry impact hits (but just one impact hit at the mount's strength) against infantry.

Very Hollywoodesque. I think this is already represented just fine with the beast's attack (which is already a stretch).

I agree with pirateoftaiwan - I'm not expert on game balance or anything like that, but I've often felt that impact hits would help capture the right feel of the shock charge.

The shock charge was delivered with a spear or lance and then either aborted to get a second weapon, or they drew swords and fought at close quarters, but with little impetus. People were very cautious about using their horse as a ram. While it can easily slam aside a man, it needs room to do so. Running pell-mell into a deep and solid formation where people sometimes cannot budge even if they want could and did spell doom for the horse and the rider.

pirateoftaiwan
09-11-2012, 15:43
True, That is how Pizzaro's few cavalry ran down the Inca. The Inca, never having dealt with horses before did not know that if they just blocked up and fought back the Spanish cavalry would have been easily overcome. I still think it would be an interesting, albeit "Hollywoodesque," addition to the game. I do not think that fast cav should get this rule, but it would make charging big blocks of infantry in the front more plausible (I know, not historically plausible). Any other thoughts on the idea?

lbecks
09-11-2012, 16:02
More factions, like araby. And updated models for all the 9+ year old models. And models for characters that aren't in the army books.

Milan
10-11-2012, 10:13
As was said earlier, I also prefer a expansion in the broadness of the game. By this I clearly mean the adding of one or two new armies to spice things up.

The whole 'weather-circumstances' seems to me as an idea that can be easily fixed by house-ruling so no reel need for adding official rules there. For example, heavy rainfall/fog reduces movement and range or something.

My final hope for the future would be the start of another worldwide (summer)campaign.

Haravikk
10-11-2012, 15:30
Very Hollywoodesque. I think this is already represented just fine with the beast's attack (which is already a stretch).
Realism is already well out of the window with this game, so I think it's fair for them to have embellished rules that are epic and fun even if they're unrealistic. It would certainly be interesting for non-Fast Cavalry mounted units, but especially so if the enemy had counters to it such as an increased choice of formations, or weapons with longer reach providing some, or complete, immunity. I know spears aren't really anti-cavalry weapons, but they could do with something to balance them against other options and give them some more unique value, especially when you can get an extra rank by simply forming a Horde unit, while retaining parry saves from shields etc., so giving spears something to represent reach to make them a (partial) counter to cavalry could add an interesting element.

Lord Solar Plexus
11-11-2012, 11:07
Realism is already well out of the window with this game

Not at all. We don't charge or move backwards, pole arms do not shoot, armour helps against external damage, horses are faster than men and do not cause impact hits. They should then at least have to test on ini minus # of enemy ranks to represent them falling down with no AS.

misomiso
11-11-2012, 11:19
Timeline movement. I think this is a fantastic idea. The WFB world has a bit more flexability in it than the 40k universe, as you cant really kill of the Emperor without altering the entire universe and theme, but you could move the WF world forward 10 or 25 years, killing off some special characters and changing the political geography a bit.

draccan
11-11-2012, 12:15
1) Price
GW prices has to come down at least 30% for WFB to even have a future.

2) Army books
Like another poster here I favor grouping army books. I think GW is getting to boxed in with the number of army books to update and the amount of time it takes. I strongly believe they should release army books bundled together for example:
Kingdom of Men: Bretonnia, Empire and smaller lists like Nippon, Araby and Cathay. I and others have waited decades for GW to do something for those armies.
World of Elves: Wood Elves, Dark Elves, High Elves
Chaos: Warriors, Demons, Demon prince hosts, Chaos Dwarfs and Beastmen and whatnot
Fringe empires: Lizardmen, Skaven ...
Greenskins and Ogres:....
The Undead: Tomb kings, Vampire Counts, Undead hosts, specialty necromancer lists and Nagash horde
Miniatures should be released on splash basis, but the age of one army book every 3-5 months is getting old...

3) Schedule.
GW should guarantee that new editions live for a minimum of 6 or even 7 years. That at least justifies some of the investments. Today with 10ish armybooks, main rulebook, small rulebook, boxed set, new armies the cost just racks up to astronomical heights every four years. I don't even buy army books for other people's armies anymore as they are obsolete pretty quickly and is jacked to high price.

4) Competition
They should create competition rules and work on balancing the game. While it will never be perfect they could avoid some catastrophic pitfalls. They could at least try to level it a bit.

5) Community
GW should reengage the community and stop treating them like sheep that can take higher prices and badly written rules. Use the community as a ressource, playtest the new army books and editions etc. and reach out to them. I am surprised there hasn't been more of a backlash towards GW based on their policies..

6) Related gaming
GW is missing out on related games like Warmaster etc. that brought players into the GW sphere by giving them choice of what to play... all the fringe games actually didn't distract from Warhammer it just brought you closer to the GW ecosystem...

if GW don't change I believe the future is not bright for them nor for WFB. There are so many high quality products for lesser of a price by companies that does not shy away from communicating with their audience so I for one could move in that direction... and I believe many more shall..

Azaireal
11-11-2012, 12:20
A) Your army books
High Elves- Fix the core.
Wood Elves- fix the dated rules/points, more special choices.

B) The Main rule system
-Cannons, they should blow up more. Special misfire dice with 3 misfire icons. They can never re-roll misfire or on the misfire chart. Or just make them always S6.
-rules for line of sight/specifically for using war machines less 'subjective'.
-Large creature: Add scaly skin
-Terror should be useful/removed.
-vanguard/scouts charging on turn 1.
-balance the lores of magic (for high elves, Shadow does everything every other lore does but better, withering makes S3 bows work so that makes up for the lack of magic missile). I would like to make a difficult decision when picking my lore of magic.

C) The overall fluff
-Another human army of light armored troops to represent Araby, Ind, Cathay, and Nippon. Call it the 'Collation of the Weaker Human Empires' or 'The Alliance'.
-Add Kislev, the Border Princes to the Empire book/line, and halflings.
-Throw some bones to the 'Good Armies', but still let the 'Evil Armies' have the main dish. Some less moral-ambiguity would be nice (a noble noble surrounded by nefarious generals would be good). All the 'good guys' are bit too ambiguous making them all seem similarly bland. Giving some of them more 'goody' would make the ambiguity have more impact instead of being the usual dull 'every choice is a bad choice' type persona.
-Remove the 'races of decline' theme. If you look at the army books, most of them are in a bad place.
-better scenarios.

trotsky
11-11-2012, 17:45
'Remove the 'races of decline' theme. If you look at the army books, most of them are in a bad place.'
i agree with that. bored of high elves being doomed. why can't they just be in a bad place due to the recent wars but have a chance of recovery. the declining birthrate is just too depressing.

Lord Solar Plexus
12-11-2012, 04:40
Not another human army, please, that would be too much. And no more Elves and Undead either. If there must be a new faction, do a second or third Lizard-, Orc or WoC army, but I'd rather not see those either.

Urgat
12-11-2012, 06:40
WoC? They combine the fact that they're basically one of the 3 chaos armies, and one of the 3 human armies. How are they better than elves in that regard? :p

Lord Solar Plexus
13-11-2012, 13:03
1) Price
GW prices has to come down at least 30% for WFB to even have a future.

Hardly. Gold and diamonds have a future because of the price, and that's where the big margins lie. This isn't Mattel catering for some mass market (although I'm not saying their margins are bad).

3) Schedule.
GW should guarantee that new editions live for a minimum of 6 or even 7 years. That at least justifies some of the investments.

Jeesh, that would be nice! As nice as being 18 once again...neither is going to happen. Four years is already stretching it. Any longer without a flashing neon sign and you're not going to keep 12-14 yo's interested.

5) Community
GW should reengage the community and stop treating them like sheep that can take higher prices and badly written rules. Use the community as a ressource, playtest the new army books and editions etc. and reach out to them. I am surprised there hasn't been more of a backlash towards GW based on their policies..

They might - if they ever feel the need. As long as "the community" takes higher prices and badly written rules, they will not.

Lord Solar Plexus
13-11-2012, 13:05
WoC? They combine the fact that they're basically one of the 3 chaos armies, and one of the 3 human armies. How are they better than elves in that regard? :p

Combining aspects already makes them stand out as unique! Or was the word grotesque...? ;-)

Storyteller
20-11-2012, 23:51
The shock charge was delivered with a spear or lance and then either aborted to get a second weapon, or they drew swords and fought at close quarters, but with little impetus. People were very cautious about using their horse as a ram. While it can easily slam aside a man, it needs room to do so. Running pell-mell into a deep and solid formation where people sometimes cannot budge even if they want could and did spell doom for the horse and the rider.

@Lord Solar Plexus: Thanks for that, I was a student of medieval/early modern history in the dim past and love picking up new tidbits - I never studied military history beyond general interest reading though. I have to admit I find it hard to imagine them pulling a horse up short/turning off a full blown charge without some impetus but I'm no horseman either and I'm probably underestimating the skill of the riders.

Personally though, for my fantasy games cinematic/theatrical is what I go for so I'm not yet sold on the realism, I still think the impact hits would be cool :).

Storyteller
21-11-2012, 00:17
A) Your army books
C) The overall fluff
-Another human army of light armored troops to represent Araby, Ind, Cathay, and Nippon. Call it the 'Collation of the Weaker Human Empires' or 'The Alliance'.
-Add Kislev, the Border Princes to the Empire book/line, and halflings.
-Throw some bones to the 'Good Armies', but still let the 'Evil Armies' have the main dish. Some less moral-ambiguity would be nice (a noble noble surrounded by nefarious generals would be good). All the 'good guys' are bit too ambiguous making them all seem similarly bland. Giving some of them more 'goody' would make the ambiguity have more impact instead of being the usual dull 'every choice is a bad choice' type persona.
-Remove the 'races of decline' theme. If you look at the army books, most of them are in a bad place.
-better scenarios.

Not another human army, please, that would be too much. And no more Elves and Undead either. If there must be a new faction, do a second or third Lizard-, Orc or WoC army, but I'd rather not see those either.

I'm somewhere on the middle in terms of adding human armies. I think that if one or more armies was to be added that the other human realms of the Old World and surrounds (e.g. Estalia, Tilea, Kislev, Araby) or a combination in the form of a better thought out Dogs of War would be the most interesting additions. That said, it's obviously a struggle for GW keeping up with 15 (ish?) army books as it is, so I'm not sure that the introduction of new armies is a good thing.

I'm still mulling it over, but I THINK I quite like the idea of the combined 'Armies of Man' (Bretts, Empire, Tilea etc.) , 'Armies of Chaos' (WoC, Beastmen, DoC) books. I like some distinctiveness in play/special rules between armies (e.g. lance formation, detachments etc.) but I'm not fussed as to whether each army's playstyle is completely distinctive so long as the FEEL or the army is distinctive, and models and fluff can differentiate this a lot.

That said, I would miss having a whole book devoted to my beloved Bretonnians.

Lord Solar Plexus
21-11-2012, 07:38
@Lord Solar Plexus: Thanks for that, I was a student of medieval/early modern history in the dim past and love picking up new tidbits - I never studied military history beyond general interest reading though. I have to admit I find it hard to imagine them pulling a horse up short/turning off a full blown charge without some impetus but I'm no horseman either and I'm probably underestimating the skill of the riders.

Of course not everyone could always fully control his horse or himself, especially if he happened to have been wounded previously but at least that was the plan - deliver the shock and pain with the lance, turn and get a second one from a squire. The Polish Hussars were especially famed for being able to turn on the proverbial dime.

It's also worth to consider that we're not talking about a static concept. In the 17th ct., most nations had mastered the counter-march, which allowed infantry units a consistent rate of fire every 20 seconds or so while the rank that had just fired turned, marched back and started to reload. This approach necessitated space between columns, 1.5-2 metres usually, which can be enough room for a charge to "drive into" a formation. To prevent this, the musketeers were of course protected by pikemen, to counter that, the Hussars developed longer lances, while lancers fell out of favour in Western Europe.

"We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers. We saw it…. Jezus Maria! The elite's lances bent forward like stalks of rye, driven by a great storm, bent on glory! The fire of the guns before them glitters! They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard. They sliced without effort through the whole army already! Next target: the regiment of horse guards, where stands the Swede King Carol. And the guard already wavers!" --Description from Potop "Deluge" Henry Sienkievich.

Though arresting and colorful, little in this description is accurate about tactics." http://www.kismeta.com/diGrasse/HowHussarFought.htm

In the same vein, early medieval (and many classical) armies were comprised of levies and militia, townsfolk and peasants, all of which had dubious military value. John Keegan has described the gaping difference in "warrior ethic" between horse/steppe peoples and those of the setttled lands quite accurately, and it was little different when it came to Knights vs peasants. The latter would not form a dense impenetrable phalanx but lose conglomerations, and it would waver at the sound and sight.

That also doesn't mean that cavalry never clashed. One of the most vivid reports of what happened then was given by no one less than Winston Churchill (with the 21st Lancers at Omdurman):

"The pace was fast and the distance short. Yet, before it was half covered, the whole aspect of the affair changed. A deep crease in the ground---a dry watercourse, a khor---appeared where all had seemed smooth, level plain; and from it there sprang, with the suddenness of a pantomime effect and a high-pitched yell, a dense white mass of men nearly as long as our front and about twelve deep. ... The Lancers acknowledged the apparition only by an increase of pace. Each man wanted sufficient momentum to drive through such a solid line. ... the whole event was a matter of seconds. ... The collision was prodigious. Nearly thirty Lancers, men and horses, and at least two hundred Arabs were overthrown. The shock was stunning to both sides, and for perhaps ten wonderful seconds no man heeded his enemy. Terrified horses wedged in the crowd; bruised and shaken men, sprawling in heaps, struggled, dazed and stupid, to their feet, panted, and looked about them. ... Stubborn and unshaken infantry hardly ever meet stubborn and unshaken cavalry. Either the infantry run away and are cut down in flight, or they keep their heads and destroy nearly all the horsemen by their musketry. On this occasion two living walls had actually crashed together."

Rake
21-11-2012, 09:38
On the issue of warhammer future editions:
a) The fluff: I agree with someone who posted that it's a setting not a story. Move it forward but keep it the same. Ie. Tone down the fiscal cliff (sorry meant precipice of chaos) thing, give the good guys a FRACTION of breathing room but otherwise leave the lore pretty much the same... new attempts at lore have failed miserable (SoC and the crappy new stories in VC book...)
b) The rules, tone down the magic (mostly the 6th spells but add soublight and pit of shades in there), make templates partial again (no pinball cannons). Make only non caster characters give their leadership (buffs non combat lords and fits the fluff perfectly for most armies... the few that dont can have a worded exception), BSB to work only to for tests that make the unit run awa, not all (ie. terror panic and break).
c) the armies: Update the 7th ed cheese to 8th ed not cheese. Simple really and pz plz plz fix the bloody skavenslave.
That about summs it up.

Uzzle29
07-12-2012, 02:28
I'd love to see Forest Goblins return in plastic. I know its a long shot but it would be amazing! :)

Gromdal
07-12-2012, 08:34
Armybooks: Release my armies brets, dwarfs, chaos warriors. Make brets cav viable in long combats, remove the silly looking lance formation. Give me some really powerful close combat lords that are hard to kill.

Game: Nerf the uber spells and IF. Look out sir rule added to all characters that are max size of ogre (ie no more sniping with cannons, unless its a dragon etc and then give it a 4+ look out). Add damage to artillery vs units.

Fluff: Have Archaon return home and lick his wounds. Create a new everchosen that kills him and starts the cycle anew. Base him on the history of Genghis khan. Give the dwarfs a new golden age, retaking many mountain strongholds and the underway.

Montegue
08-12-2012, 23:51
- my army (dwarfs): I would like to see a much more diverse army list. People get bored playing against dwarfs and I would really like that to change and soon. Dwarfs need to present something in the magic phase and movement. Organ guns need to be better than hellblasters but similar in function. We need a better core plastic kit, plastic multipart hammerers, slayers, and ironbreakers, and some sort of cool centerpiece. Stubborn on lords or thanes would be fluffy and useful. Infantry with a 1+ would be fluffy and useful as a special choice. Slayers need to be good again.

Rules -

Lone models should have to close the door to ranked units that charge them. It makes no sense that a horde of savages should have to turn to face a 21 pt Kitty and then overrun offthe board.

The stupid eagle block needs to be fixed.

The big spells are not fun.fix them.

I don't think disruption should break steadfast but it should provide a leadership penalty on the steadfast roll.

Fluff

Good guys on the ropes is sort of tired. Dwarfs need to take a hold or two back and begin to expand.

Havock
09-12-2012, 00:13
Hardly. Gold and diamonds have a future because of the price, and that's where the big margins lie. This isn't Mattel catering for some mass market (although I'm not saying their margins are bad).

You raise a point (GW wants be be 'special': having their own stores and higher prices gives them something 'superior' to some. Name, brand, implied quality etc. etc.

But, we have had no new players here for... 3 years? Meanwhile Infinity and now even Warmachine (despite it not gaining traction outside of a small group at first!) is gaining ground.
Two years ago? Practically nothing but GW stuff. 4-5 games on the Tuesday evenings (gaming nights)
Nowadays? Flames of war, an infinity game, warmahordes and the odd warhammer or 40k game.

-Loki-
09-12-2012, 07:07
new attempts at lore have failed miserable (SoC and the crappy new stories in VC book...)

What exactly is wrong with Mannfreds return? I rather liked that part. That's the only new fluff that I'm aware of.

exequiae
09-12-2012, 14:49
G'day all,
A) Your army books
B) The Main rule system
C) The overall fluff

I play Wood Elves.

I would like to see cheaper troops and Glade Riders to become actually useful! More choices would also be nice. I don't, however, want a steamroller army because they're no fun at all.

I'm not that experienced with the rules system, so I won't comment.

Fluff-wise, seeing Wood Elf communities outside of Athel Loren would be great but by no means essential.

I would love to see plastic kits for Warhawk Riders, Great Eagles, Wild Riders etc.

leopard
09-12-2012, 14:57
Would love mages to get a lot cheaper, and have an "allowance" with which to purchase spells in the same way magic items are currently bought - give each spell a points cost, perhaps several at different "levels" of power/casting difficulty - make magic choice part of building the army.

Won't happen GW likes the sound of rolling dice.

Would like to see the turn cap removed - game becomes open ended - with a "stalemate" condition, if for three consecutive turns any of the following apply the game ends:
- no forces within 18" of the enemy
- no charges have been declared (doesn't matter about them being completed)
- fewer than one wound per 500 points of starting armies have been caused

Agree on more fleshing out of the background, best way to do that is via something like an integrated roleplay game, focusing on areas the game has up to now ignored - minor villages etc

Would also like to see a proper skirmish system that uses a different system (LotR would work very well for this)

Maoriboy007
09-12-2012, 18:42
If the problem spells were fixed there would be no reason to mess around with the magic phase. If you got ris of IF then to be fair you would have to get rid of miscasts as well, as satisfying as it is to put the boot into a Mindrazor spam DE sorceress, its equally rubbing salt into the wound of a Tomb King Lich priest who just wants his army to be able to march.

Bring back the old miscast system: Double sixes autocast, double ones miscast,fail and trump IF.
All "Autokill" effects should instead do D3 wounds with no armour or regen save, 2D3 to Monsters.
Disruption negates steadfast.
Bring back the old line of sight system or something much like it.
Get rid of strike in initiative, with step up & steadfast you can allow chargers to strike first without breaking the game and it would put urgency back in the game.
All Warmachines do D3 wounds or D6 if Ballistic Skill test is passed. Amend all stonethroewrs to Str 4 (Mortar back to str 3)
Fix broken items and powers ASAP (ASF, Crown Command Pendant puppet etc)

I think changes like these wouldn't drive away the current gaming crowd and would actually bring back a lot of the defectors.

outbreak
09-12-2012, 20:39
Roll back to 7th ed and pretend the dumbing down of 8th never happened.

The Low King
09-12-2012, 20:57

Stay with 8th and learn from the ghastly mistake that was 7th.

Maoriboy007
09-12-2012, 21:22
...or meet somewhere in the middle and the sweetness and light will be sickening to behold...:)

outbreak
09-12-2012, 22:31
Stay with 8th and learn from the ghastly mistake that was 7th.

Didn't mean to sound so negative. I'm really trying with 8th, I just miss 7th ed still.

Dawicollector
09-12-2012, 23:29
as a Dwarf player I really don't miss 7th ed that much, its nice to be able to sometimes charge and strike back in combat!!

IcedCrow
09-12-2012, 23:37
7th can burn in the same fire as 5th.

MSU 1/8" dancing battle lines composed of mostly cavalry totally destroyed any semblance of what that era of warfare means for me. Then with the injection of Mat Ward's demons...

m1acca1551
10-12-2012, 00:14

Each to there own...

But i really enjoyed 7th ed... well the burning of the rule book after manically tearing out all the pages and screaming curse words at them... but yeah thats just me lol

Maoriboy007
10-12-2012, 01:56
7th was an edition I could enjoy , but had a bunch of flaws that ruined more aspects of the game than they should.
8th is an edition I can enjoy , but has a bunch of flaws that ruin more aspects of the game than they should....

The flaws in 7th tended to lie in the army books, the flaws in 8th seem to lie in the BRB.

IcedCrow
10-12-2012, 02:00
The main flaws of 7th - the msu cavalry craze. Armies doing the 1/8" dance. Demons.

Lord Solar Plexus
10-12-2012, 08:02
But, we have had no new players here for... 3 years? Meanwhile Infinity and now even Warmachine (despite it not gaining traction outside of a small group at first!) is gaining ground.

Excellent, then the future of Warhammer is bright! I didn't see any new Porsches at my place either, everyone's going for Volkswagen... :)

Duke_of_Krondor
10-12-2012, 11:13
Off topic: Or, given that 7th edition is already a 'complete' edition, you could play 7th edition with your friends who want to? It's like old versions of anything. It's there, it's be written so why redo it?

On topic: a better system for bringing in new players and starting new armies. The effort required to even get 1000 points of most armies together is quite high (not to mention the cost) so a way to bring people into the fold would be better. 40k just seems to scale better. Whilst it's fairly simple to run this locally (house rules and encouraging small-medium sized units), it's still a patch applied to a game that works best (is balanced for) at higher points values.

Baluc
10-12-2012, 13:20

You need to seperate the fun you had playing the game with a friend, from the game. The game might not be why you had fun. Upon reflection it certainly wasn't for me.

I do like that Playing Fantasy is a serious commitment, it puts peope in the right frame of mind to play the game. If you've invested hours of work to get the money and they hours to paint (even poorly) you should treat the game more seriously.

Lord Solar Plexus
12-12-2012, 07:45
7th was an edition I could enjoy , but had a bunch of flaws that ruined more aspects of the game than they should.
8th is an edition I can enjoy , but has a bunch of flaws that ruin more aspects of the game than they should....

The flaws in 7th tended to lie in the army books, the flaws in 8th seem to lie in the BRB.

The flaws of 7th were all addressed with the new BRB while army books continue to have flaws (I'm not judging their severity), so the distinction isn't so clear.

Maoriboy007
13-12-2012, 01:49
The flaws of 7th were all addressed with the new BRB while army books continue to have flaws (I'm not judging their severity), so the distinction isn't so clear.
With a few exceptions (like fear) the 7th Ed BRB rules served players well for a very long time. It wasn't until Army book powercreep (starting with VC but touching nearly every subsiquent armybook and peaking with Demons) entered the game that complaints got really loud. Personally I found 6th to be a superior edition to 7th anyway.
Unfortunatley many of the things complained about in 8th seem to have most of thier foundations printed basically in stone in the BRB. I'm not saying that 8th edition didn't make many good changes, I'm fine with random charges, step up and the steadfast concept, but it made some equally bad ones as well, Doom spells, the intractability of steadfast, Line of Sight seem to be issues that come up as much as "demons" were mentioned in 7th.

Zoolander
13-12-2012, 04:36
I really like the weather idea. After all, those type of rules are present in Dreadfleet and Man O' War, and they could easily be applied here. Might be interesting if implemented properly (and completely annoying and inane if not).

I would like to see terrain rolls based on the locale, like it was in 6th. If tomb kings and wood elf armies were about to fight, for example, first determine where they are fighting. Athel Loren, the Nehkaran desert, somewhere else? This could be a die roll or a decision by the players. Then once the locale was chosen, roll for terrain based on the region. Athel Loren would have a lot of forest entries, Nehkara would have a lot of sandy dunes, etc. It makes the game more interesting.

Zoolander
13-12-2012, 04:54

How about either a winged bird-like race or even dragonkin of some kind?

Lord Solar Plexus
13-12-2012, 04:55
Fish & Chipsmen? Highly advanced Apes?

With a few exceptions (like fear) the 7th Ed BRB rules served players well for a very long time. It wasn't until Army book powercreep (starting with VC but touching nearly every subsiquent armybook and peaking with Demons) entered the game that complaints got really loud.

All that army book power creep was swept away at once when the BRB came out: Fear + outnumber, Indian dance, useless INF, 20:2 powerdice. Army books were the problem, the BRB was the solution.

Unfortunatley many of the things complained about in 8th seem to have most of thier foundations printed basically in stone in the BRB.

I'm not quite sure what that means. It's just rules in a book as always and can be changed no more or less than before or in the future.