PDA

View Full Version : Whats the pros and cons of the diferent Space marines?

Merellin
08-11-2012, 14:45
What I'm wondering is whats the good and bad parts of the diferent Space Marine codexes? Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Black Templars and Vanilla Marines? (Thats all of them right?) could someone please tell me the pros and cons of the diferent ones? Thanks in advance! ^_^

Konovalev
08-11-2012, 15:02
In my opionion:
1. Blood Angels and Space Wolves
2. Dark Angels, Vanilla Marines
3. Black Templar
BA and SW are CSM+1. BT is CSM -1, and DA is CSM-1 but the Deathwing build gives them a +1 so it's about even.

My point being use either Blood Angels or Space Wolves for your marine list unless you want all terminators then consider Dark Angels. Vanilla and BT bring little to the table that the other books don't do better.

All bets are off if you're partial to fluff though. Pick whichever book you feel represents the chapter you've chosen best.

A.T.
08-11-2012, 15:17
What I'm wondering is whats the good and bad parts of the diferent Space Marine codexes? Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Black Templars and Vanilla Marines? (Thats all of them right?) could someone please tell me the pros and cons of the diferent ones? Thanks in advance! ^_^Vanilla : Chapter tactics can mix the playstyle up, especially with forgeworld characters. Fair variety of units and playstyles - good if you like to mix it up.

Blood Angels : Vanilla +1, better assault marines, cheaper heavy weapons, faster vehicles, FnP bubbles, and the death company who were balanced against the drawback of their rage rule ... until it became a benefit in 6th. They do lack some of the variety and options of the vanilla dex though.

Space Wolves : Marines +1, your basic squads are better and cheaper than other marines, you get twice as many characters, strong psychic defence, and a bunch of unique wolf-only units and wargear, though you also lack many units available to the regular & BA marines.

Dark Angels : Vanilla -1, the core list is an older and less powerful marine dex missing many of the newer units. It's primarily associated with deathwing and ravenwing - superior scoring terminator and biker units. The codex may be updated relatively soon so all to change.

Black Templars : Marines -1, a heavily FAQed relic of an earlier era, unit quality often dependent on how rules changes and errata have treated them rather than any original design or intent.

Chapters Unwritten
08-11-2012, 15:45
I will add that the Space Wolves generally have a few very powerful ranged options, but much of the codex is designed for fighting in the 12" range ideally. The others seem to have the option but the Wolves pretty much will have to push forward to be a fully threatening force. The Blood Angels have this as well, but they have more versatility to not make it a definite all-the-time thing.

Vaktathi
08-11-2012, 15:51
What I'm wondering is whats the good and bad parts of the diferent Space Marine codexes? Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Black Templars and Vanilla Marines? (Thats all of them right?) could someone please tell me the pros and cons of the diferent ones? Thanks in advance! ^_^
Typically? The variant marine books end up being "Marines+1" or "Marines...but Better/Fighter/Fiercer/Slashier/etc!", at least for a while until overshadowed by another marine variant codex.

However, in theory? Most of them revolve around being "fightier/choppier".

Space Wolves, well, they really generally have always been "Marines+1". Somehow supposed to be fiercer in close combat, having impetuous "youthful" units in some slots (with WS3/BS3 and an extra charge attack, etc)

Blood Angels are about jump infantry and close assaults.

Dark Angels are just a couple of FoC swaps really, allowing Terminators as Troops and Bike units as troops

Black Templars are theoretically a heavily CC oriented army and as close to a "horde" as marines can play.

Grey Knights are the Elite amongst the Elite with better/flashier wargear and fewer numbers.

Merellin
08-11-2012, 16:03
Another question, Is a Ravenwing army using the Dark Angel book viable? (Not in tournaments but playable in cassual play with friends) Me and a friend both realy like the idea of a all bike army so we are planning on making a Ravenwing army. Sammael, Bikes, Attack Bikes and Land Speeders only.

A.T.
08-11-2012, 16:14
Blood Angels are about jump infantry and close assaults.While their jump infantry is better, they also have superior devastators and faster (if more expensive) tanks when forming a gunline.

They do lack the most of the siege elements of the vanilla dex though - siege lists are actually quite a significant focus of forgeworlds additional material.