PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments in London for 2013

Oogie boogie boss
13-11-2012, 10:20
Okay, I'm not really a tournament-minded kinda guy, in fact, I've never been to one before. I've always felt that, by nature, they would be too competitive for a fluffy player like me.

However, curiosity is getting the better of me, and I've been getting more and more interested on seeing how a fluffy Savage Orc army could do against really hardcore lists. As well as this, one of my friends has also been planning on entering a tournament or two next year and said it'd be cool if I entered too.

So, my newbie question is this: are there any good fantasy tournaments in the London area, and if so, when and where are they?

Thanks in advance!

tmarichards
13-11-2012, 13:35
Unfortunately, London is one of the worst areas to live in for local tournaments. There are a few one day events each year, but for the most part you'll need to travel for the bigger and best events.

There's Warfare in Reading this weekend (I think there's still 1 place available but I'm on the fence about going as I don't like their comp, here's the link to the tournament thread http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=104287), and the former North London Imps (now called the Titans I believe) run one day events every now and then in Finchley which I've been to in the past, but I now try and stay clear of them because I don't trust the usual TO to do anything other than a shoddy job of it.

That said, if you're happy to travel there are plenty of available tournaments relatively nearby, London may not have many local events but we have great travel connections to other venues- the Eye of the Storm in Mansfield is about 90 minutes away by train (next event is Winter Incursion in early December, here's the link http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107149), the Bristol events are about the same and so is the SCGT and any other events run in the south.

OG Games also run 1 day events fairly frequently in their usual venue in Wandsworth, I have no idea when their next one is but here's a link to their last one http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=106793

There's also a new gaming venue opening up in Essex, starting with a 1 day event this Sunday (more of a day of fun gaming really I've been told, as there are two 2 day events this weekend) which Mo is running under his own comp, link here http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=107750

if you're after mainly fluffy events, the best ones for you I'd say are the Tempest events run in Stockport (which is of course, nowhere near London, but is only a couple of hours from Euston I think), although these might be coming to an end as Bobo is heading back to Australia relatively soon so he's running one last one this weekend which I'm planning on going to (link here http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=106519). There will be events there of a similar nature I'm sure, but the Tempest "brand" is his brainchild so it'll probably be changed in his absence.

I also cannot recommend highly enough the Cardiff events. Again, it's a couple of hours by train, but in my opinion they have a great venue in Firestorm Games with a really good local crowd and the Saturday night is really good fun. In my opinion, Tribute last month was the single best tournament I've ever been to. There's one Cardiff event next month in Downfall (link here http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=104848), which I won't be going to because I don't like their comp but I'm pretty sure it'll be a really good event regardless, the deal breaker for me is that it's only 1 week away from Winter Incursion and I don't know how much time I'd be able to get off.

Anyway, hope this has helped :)

Oogie boogie boss
13-11-2012, 13:44
Cheers for all the info, that's really helpful. Surprising there aren't more in London, given that it's the Capitol. We're not looking to go to any till spring/summer next year, due to time constraints and in order to get our armies up to 2000pts or so and have enough time to practice with them.

We'd be willing to get up to Nottingham for a weekend, do you know what the big GW tournaments are and when they're happening?

Snake1311
13-11-2012, 13:55
You literally just missed Beasthammer in Portsmouth :( - I know that's not London, but its a relatively short drive.

Tempest 8 in Stockport is this coming weekend - if you fish around the threat at TWF you can easily arrange for a lift or carshare.

There is a nice one-dayer tournament in Milton Keynes on 29th of december.

tmarichards
13-11-2012, 13:56
I'm afraid not, there's nothing on their website and that's the only place I know to look.

I'm planning on going to a Throne of Skulls event myself at some point next year, but there are I think a few things worth pointing out about them- regardless of the players who attend, GW events charge almost twice as much as most independent events (you're looking at 55 at least, probably going up to more next year, whereas independent events are considered extortionate if they go much over 30, at which point they're almost always including lunch on both days which you don't get at ToS), and they never have more than 5 games and their best in race and so on trophies are frankly poor, so you're essentially paying more and getting less. That said, the ones I've been to have been good fun, but I'd consider them a lower tier of tournament.

That's before going multiple incorrect rulings, a lack of a Swiss draw on day 1 for all 3 games and people not having to submit lists for checking. it's also completely uncomped and Win/Loss/Draw, which I appreciate different people will view differently, but it's probably worth mentioning given the usual trend of comp in the UK.

Oogie boogie boss
13-11-2012, 14:04
Preferably uncomped would be better, though generally I used quite balanced lists, so that's not such an issue for me. ToS does sound expensive, but I've heard good things about it.

Jim
13-11-2012, 14:11
Just to add to other posters reccomendations, I am a member of a gaming club in SW London. The Tolworth First Founding... We're best known for the 2 big 40K tournaments (Mayhem and Octoberfest) but have started branching out into Fantasy and have run a couple of smaller 30-ish player tounaments earlier this year.

Plans are afoot for tournaments in March & September next year and will be announced on all the popular forums once more details are known...

We currently don't have a central website I can direct you to but, again, plans are underway to correct this, so keep an eye out for further announcements!

Jim

PS Hi Tom! You smashed my Empire army at the tournament in Tolworth earlier this year!...been following your youtube battle reports since and been enjoying them immensely - Good work Sir! #treekinSMASH!

Thyphs
13-11-2012, 14:13
Cheers for all the info, that's really helpful. Surprising there aren't more in London, given that it's the Capitol. We're not looking to go to any till spring/summer next year, due to time constraints and in order to get our armies up to 2000pts or so and have enough time to practice with them.

We'd be willing to get up to Nottingham for a weekend, do you know what the big GW tournaments are and when they're happening?

Go to the Gamesworkshop site and theres a section on tournaments and events to look at - most have rules packs to look over to give you some idea of what you will need.

As a side note - Yes London is the capital - but Nottingham is the Capitol of Gamesworkshop - Nearly all the official tournaments are run from HQ there.
In years gone by we had other official tournements such as the "Conflict" series - which were more Regional - Scotland, North and South......unfortunately these have sadly gone in recent years as the torunament scene has been cut back somewhat.

Oogie boogie boss
13-11-2012, 14:48
Re: Jim- Cheers for the info, I'll keep a lookout for that! Also considering a doubles tournament, as my mate's building up a NG force painted to match my SO army, so it would make a good combined army. Any tips on good ones?

commanddarksun
13-11-2012, 16:12
The money that you pay out for Throne seems a lot but its a really enjoyable weekend. The ticket includes food on both days and other activities. The only other cost is accommodation for the event IMHO.

logan054
13-11-2012, 18:58
I did see 4tk mention on another forum they might start doing warhammer tournaments once they complete the shop move, Colchester isn't that far from London by Train.

Its shame we don't see so many tournaments down this end, nottingham is a mission by train :(

reddevil18
13-11-2012, 19:13
Ive always wondered about tornys in cardiff, anyone have info on that seeing as you have been so helpful and knowledgeable about london?

SkawtheFalconer
15-11-2012, 13:29
The Spiky Club in Reading run a few good Warhammer tournaments. Winter War is a one dayer in January (and selling out fast), and they also run a two dayer in the summer, Tides of Chaos. I also usually go to Regarding Retribution at Basingstoke (Sad Muppet Society) in November, and enjoy it. Although not in London, these places aren't far on the train.

myrdinn
15-11-2012, 13:41
It is indeed amazing that there aren't more tournaments in London. The Tolworth event sounds good to me, I will keep an eye out for further info as I'm based in SW London.

Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to run a gaming event? I've done quite a lot of events in other fields for work and sports teams, so might be brave/stupid enough to organise something. I would imagine that getting GW's approval would be both important and difficult though?

tmarichards
15-11-2012, 13:50
I don't think there's any requirement to get their approval, I've never heard of it being necessary.

myrdinn
15-11-2012, 14:33
OK great. Highly unlikely to ever happen anyway, I am usually distracted within 30 seconds of any gaming-related idea I come up with ...

Is there anywhere to sign up for further info about your events next year?

tmarichards
15-11-2012, 15:08
The best place to look for UK tournaments is in the Latest Tournament News section of TWF (http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php), tournament threads usually go up several weeks/months in advance of the event itself.

Lord Skrolk
16-11-2012, 01:40
Sv

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones