PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to paint Ultramarines?

Cooper97
14-11-2012, 03:41
I've just finished collecting a 7000 point army but I'm not sure how to
paint in the colours of the ultramarines. Can anyone help me. Please

Chem-Dog
14-11-2012, 04:24
If you're asking what paints to use ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4fJiqLXf7g
If you're asking what colours the chapter uses for various things. -----> http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ultramarines#.UKMqzeQu4qM

If you want more detailed info let people know exactly what's in your army and they can give you more specific info

ftayl5
14-11-2012, 04:29
You've got 7000pts of unpainted models?
That's intimidating.

First choose the Company or possibly companies (with 7000pts you might have many more than 100 marines) you want to do them as. This basically will just effect the shoulder rims 2nd company has yellow, 5th has black and so on.

The best blue recipe I know using new GW paints is macragge blue, a drakenhof nightshae was, altdorf guard blue layer and finally a highlight of calgar blue.
Using other brands of paints might work better, I only have experience with GW ones.

obleeke
14-11-2012, 08:15
Paint them red, use Codex: Blood Angels :evilgrin: Just kidding

7000 points? Get an airbrush and several Macragge Blue paints...

Charistoph
14-11-2012, 15:36
Paint them red...

No, a bold yellow is far more impressive!

gitburna
14-11-2012, 15:41
7000 points and you don't know how to paint Ultramarines blue?

Ah well, it could be worse...could be Orks.

Prisoner24601
14-11-2012, 15:58
7000 points and you don't know how to paint Ultramarines blue?

Ah well, it could be worse...could be Orks.

or White Scars...

AlphariusOmegon20
14-11-2012, 18:50
or White Scars...

LOL White Scars are actually easier than Ultras. Prime white, basecoat Ulthuan Grey, wash the cracks Agrax Earthshade, touch up the Ulthuan Grey, and Highlight White Scar. It's really THAT simple.

If I were to do Ultras, I'd prime Black, Basecoat Macragge Blue, wash Drakenhof blue, re-layer Macragge, highlight Altdorf Guard Blue, and extreme highlight Calgar Blue, with maybe a final very extreme highlight of the new Blue Horror edge paint from the Limited edition Edge paint set.

leopard
14-11-2012, 19:04
May be worth priming grey, and finding a suitable blue spray paint for the base colour - just to save time, air brush would work but a spray can (army painter?) would be a good base. something like well Ultramarine blue, followed by a deep blue wash.

if you have an airbrush but the end of that lot you will be certainly pretty good with it - maybe look at Zenith highlighting with a few shades of blue as the base before detailing.

regardless would suggest a mass basing then priming session, over a few weeks - do say a squad a night for basing, and prime at weekends until they are done.

if you spray the base colours do them in batches as well (to avoid wasting paint), would suggest wash then in batches and put to one side - while not amazing they are "usable" at this point. more so if you do the bases (have a look at household emulsion colours for the bases).

detailing will need care, and be ready to take a break if you start to get board or you will kill the interest you have (may even be worth having something else to paint as a break).

but then paint in batches, maybe have three or four batches of five models on the go at once - e.g. one batch you paint the metal areas (I'd go with dark grey as the base for metalics), then put to one side - another paint up the shoulder pad trims, another the eyes etc - so you do not do to much of any one thing each evening/session.

if brush painting consider painting before assembly, matters less with an airbrush that will get everything done.

but with 7k of marines _seriously_ plan this and take your time so you don't get sick of them, maybe look on the fantasy boards for people with goblin and skaven armies, ask how they do masses of models without slitting their wrists...

Cooper97
14-11-2012, 21:33
Cheers for the answers. I will be using a Basecoat of black, spray Macragge blue, wash drakenhof nightshade, highlight Altdorf Guard Blue, then dry brush with skink blue from the dry compounds range to add an extra light tone to the model. I will also be doing it based on the 2nd company. Anyone got any more advice on how I could make the finer details stand out more?

Prisoner24601
14-11-2012, 22:02
Cheers for the answers. I will be using a Basecoat of black, spray Macragge blue, wash drakenhof nightshade, highlight Altdorf Guard Blue, then dry brush with skink blue from the dry compounds range to add an extra light tone to the model. I will also be doing it based on the 2nd company. Anyone got any more advice on how I could make the finer details stand out more?

whatever ice blue is called now and mixed with white

Banville
14-11-2012, 22:09
You could use any colour paints you want. All Codex Marines are just different shades of Ultramarine now.........

Menthak
15-11-2012, 00:04
Could just be exceptionally lazy and Spray black and Paint yellow trims >.< not gonna lie, my room-mates' LAPDF are all Sprayed black with Grey fatigues.

Cooper97
15-11-2012, 02:34
I might try the ice blue mixed with white and see how that goes but I think it might be a little bit to light for the colour scheme I'm going for. Thanks for the contribution.

Cooper97
20-11-2012, 21:42
Changed my mind. I hate all space marines legions DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!

Cooper97
20-11-2012, 21:46
That's a lie. I just don't really want to play loyal armies any more. I just sold my ultramarines army for 700 dollars and am now buying 3 chaos space marine battle forces. :shifty: