PDA

View Full Version : Starting an ogre kingdom army, might need help!

The French Guy
15-11-2012, 20:36
Hi all!
I just started an ogre kingdom army, buying a battalion, an ironblaster and the army book. I usually play skavens. :shifty:
I planned a 3 000pts list to define what I will need and what to buy next.

I need your help on a couple of things, first:
is this a good list or is there something big lacking?
What should I substract to play a 2000pts list?
Which magic items/ banners would you add?

Thank you very much! :D

LORDS:
Slaughtermaster (gastromancy): Fencer's blades, heavy weapon, level 4, hell heart. 380pts

HEROES:
Bruiser: BSB, banner of eternal flame, ironfist, heavy armour. 148pts
Firebelly: heavy weapon, level 2. 164pts

CORE UNITS:
13 bulls: ironfists, full command, gnoblar. 451pts (lord and BSB.)
11 ironguts: full command, banner of discipline, gnoblar. 523pts (firebelly.)

SPECIAL UNITS:
4 leadbelchers. 172pts
4 leadbelchers. 172pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
4 mournfang cavalry: ironfists, heavy armours, full command, dragonhide banner. 360pts

RARE UNITS:
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 thundertusk. 250pts

TOTAL: 3 002pts

Kayosiv
16-11-2012, 02:19
The list looks pretty solid. I think you need to spend some points on protection on your slaughtermaster. Remember, he is allowed to take magical armor.

13 seems like a really weird size for your bull unit. How do you plan to rank them up?

Get those Mournfang a standard of discipline or swiftness.

I'd break that leadbelcher unit into two units of 4. Being able to shoot different things if you want is always handy.

The French Guy
16-11-2012, 08:20
Hi!
Thanks for your feedback!
I didn't plan on giving a magical armor to the slaughtmaster because even if the faq allow it, they clearly said it was more a mistake from GW and that they would change that in the next army book.
It doesn't stand fluff wise anyway (or it should have to be some magical apron!) and I already spent a lot on a T5, W5 guy who get a wound back when he cast easy spells!
I'll see after some games, if I find it really hard to get the job done witout a magical armour, I will try to find pts for one.... Which one would you recommend me to take?

I got 13 bulls because the unit will count 15 ogres with the slaughtmaster and the BSB. (so 3 ranks of 5 ogres I guess?)
Ironguts will be 12 with the firebelly.
Thanks for the mournfang, I will!
Same for the leadbelchers, you are totally right!
Thanks a lot for your feedbacks!

Sustainer
16-11-2012, 08:49
It's not very well balanced. Some maneaters would give you more options than just a charge up the front. Magic with ogres isn't that great maybe swap out the Slaughtermaster for a tyrant and butcher? The banner of swiftness on the mournfangs works well and at low points cost is well worth the investment.

What would I leave out? Probably go for minimum core leave out the sabretusks, a unit of leadbelchers, an iron-blaster keep the Mournfang in!

Hope this helps :)

Kayosiv
16-11-2012, 17:46
What would I leave out? Probably go for minimum core leave out the sabretusks, a unit of leadbelchers, an iron-blaster keep the Mournfang in!

This man is obviously insane and should be ignored.

There are several set ups to protect your slaughtermaster ranging from cheap to expensive. The most common are as such.

Ironfist: Cheap ward save and a little bit of armor.
Fencer's Blades: The bonus of an extra attack and the protection of being hit by 4's and 5's from everything in the game.
Ward save: Any variety from the 6+ to 4+, depending on what you can afford. The Butcher has so many wounds that even a 6+ ward save can pay off.
Armor of Silvered Steel. A nice 2+ armor save, but I can understand if you don't feel it is appropriate for the Slaughtermaster to wear armor.
Opal Amulet: A good ward save but cheap. Can only be used once, but can often be more useful than a 6+ ward save because you can choose when you "need" to use it.

I would probably rank my ogres up 4X3 or 4X4 instead of 3X5. Getting 6 more attacks and an extra stomp is far more beneficial then 1 more combat resolution in most situations.

immortal git
16-11-2012, 19:34
Give the Mournfang the dragonhide banner. Thank me later. BsB could take the flaming banner, then jump him from unit to unit, 4d6 flaming shots at the hellpit then finish it with the ironblaster, it works well. Banner of discipline on the ironguts will serve them well if your general is in there

The French Guy
16-11-2012, 22:44
Hi,
Thank you very much guys for all your feedbacks!
On the slaughtermaster, I don't plan on giving him an armour but if I feel like I should after some playtest, I think I would just give him the 2+ and won't try to justify it fluffwise, it will only be a "ok, I need to survive" thing, period. ;)
On another hand, I quite like the fencer's blades idea, protecting him, boosting the WS and +1A!
However, what do you think of healing potion, will it be any good with him? He got so much wounds and butchers should have some kind of weird potions or good old meat...

On the banners: I should give the dragonhide to the mournfang according to Immortal Git. I can totally see why: reroll of 1s will be awesome, combined with a flamer template and a ASL effect for the next turn just in case something survived! Ok, done. I figured rerolling 1s on charge with the bulls pack could be great too but on those 2+ HtH titans, it could even be more awesome.
I didn't think about joining leadbelchers with an eternal flame BSB but it could be great for killing hydras or trolls (any monstrous creatures or stuff with regeneration.)
Banner of discipline on the ironguts, ok, it's cheap and interesting for ogres.
But the lord and the BSB will be with the bulls most of the time.

On the ranks: I didn't understand your advice...
I wanted to make 3 ranks of 5 ogres, with the Slaughtermaster and the BSB bruiser in front, and 2 ranks of 6 ironguts with the firebelly in front.
Thank you very much for all your Comments and Criticisms guys!
It really helps me here.
What would you leave at home to make it a 2000pts list?
Thanks!

Kayosiv
17-11-2012, 00:48
If you're going to be 5 wide, you might as well add 3 ogres and be 6 wide to increase your attack number massively.

immortal git
17-11-2012, 00:57
Thundertusk, ironblaster and one unit of leabealchers. then just trim the core units, I think 4x3 would work better on the guts, and probably 4x4 on the bulls, just my opinion

The French Guy
17-11-2012, 21:15
I was just wondering, is the eternal flaming banner that great, or should I consider buying another banner like the rampager's standard or something nasty in HtH for the bruiser, a dispell scroll on the firebelly?

immortal git
17-11-2012, 21:20
Well its just my preference but I like the flame banner. Very usefull

The French Guy
18-11-2012, 09:34
Ok, I will try the army as edited as soon as I get everything glued and hopefully painted!
I gave fencers blades on the slaughtermaster, we will see how it works! I also did that to have an answer against stuff protected against flaming attacks from the rest of the bulls formation, if he want to, he could still take his flaming heavy weapon instead!

ogretyrant
18-11-2012, 11:04
6 sniper/poison Maneaters with brace of pistols and flaming banner. Only use the Thundertusk if you really like the model as it is VERY hit or miss. for my characters I normally run a tyrant, BSB, and either 1 x Firebelly 1 x butcher or 2 x Firebelly. I also don't run ogres only Ironguts. Take 3 sabres not 2

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Moss
18-11-2012, 22:24
If you're going to be 5 wide, you might as well add 3 ogres and be 6 wide to increase your attack number massively.

I don't play ogres, but this seems like a no-brainer to me.

Edit: (just realiezed how unconstructive that was)
I say that because that fifth ogre will not get attacks against most frontages anyway. You may as well (as Kayosiv says) add the extra column of ogres to get horde status. The alternative is to maybe drop to a 4-man frontage and get an extra rank.

The French Guy
20-11-2012, 14:07
Hi!
Thanks for all the feedbacks guys! :)
I feel like I have to give explanation on some of my units:

my 2 main blocks (bulls and ironguts) will be based on the content of 2 battalions so 24 ogres total, that can explain the 13 bulls/11 ironguts thing.
I forgot about the horde formation for ogres as I don't havy my rulebook with me at the moment, but you're right, I should totally go for 6 ogres front.

I don't feel like I will need a tyrant as everything is already quite punchy in the ogres' list and I will have a level 4 spellcaster able to punch a lot of heroes or even lords to death.
I really like the 6 maneaters sniper/poison combo but I don't have room for them, I had to make a choice between all the units I love in the book.

I wanted to field a thundertusk between my 2 main blocks to follow them and make opponents ASL in HtH.
I believed it would highly boost my ogres but if anybody has tried it and think those 250pts could be spent in a more useful way for the army, I am ready to drop it!

As a general deployment, I would make a big block around the thundertusk, with ironguts and bulls on its sides, then have one unit of leadbelchers on each sides of this "heart". I would then deploy sabretusks depending on my opponent artillery, ironblasters in front of big monsters or with good LOS on elite units, and the mournfangs in front of a big horde or an elite unit if ironblasters have to go hunting something else.
I hope this doesn't sound too crappy!

ogretyrant
20-11-2012, 20:41
Thundertusk is no good near the Ironguts as they have ASL anyway. You need more punch in your force, the only things here that hit hard in combat are your Ironguts, regular ogres just don't cut it unless you buff the hell out of them, trust me I tried many a time. I have also tried hoarding ogres but I'm just not a fan of it, a hoard of ogres looks amazing though! I have recently been using 2 units of 10 Ironguts both with 2 characters in and run them 3 by 4 or 4 by 3. I tend to run 3 sabres and use 2 of them for redirecting. I have sometimes used small units of Gnoblers with trappers run them straight ahead of the main force and use them as 'roadblocks'. Just remember be flexible in your deployment as you must adapt to what your opponent deploys.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The French Guy
23-11-2012, 08:09
Dropping the thundertusk could give me 3 more bulls, 3 ironguts and a dispel scroll...
Not sure what would be more effective, the thundertusk is looking pretty awesome and I should strike first or simultaneously most of the time right?
I was also thinking about dropping the banner of eternal flame off the BSB for a razor banner.. already have the firebelly/dragonhide mournfangs as fire and even the fencers blades in the bulls as magic weapons against pesky units (regen, etherial,...)
What do you think on those two points?

The French Guy
07-01-2013, 17:17
Hi again!
I was retooling my list as I am still working on the first units I bought.
I dropped the LVL2 off the firebelly and a unit of leadbelchers to get 10 trappers, 3 more bulls and some magic items.

Do you think this list is better than the previous one?
Should I stick to the first list and only take a stonehorn instead of the thundertusk?
Thank you very much!

LORDS:
Slaughtermaster (gastromancy): Fencer's blades, Glittering scales, Dispell Scroll, Dragonbane Gem, Ironcurse Icon, level 4, ironfist. 383pts

HEROES:
Bruiser: BSB, Crown of Command, Dragonhelm, heavy armour, ironfist. 183pts
Firebelly: heavy weapon, Hell Heart. 179pts

CORE UNITS:
16 bulls: ironfists, standard, gnoblar, Bellower. 537pts (lord and BSB, horde formation 6*3)
11 ironguts: standard, banner of discipline, gnoblar, Bellower. 513pts (firebelly, 4*3??)
10 gnoblars: trappers. 50pts

SPECIAL UNITS:
4 leadbelchers. 172pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
4 mournfang cavalry: ironfists, heavy armours, standard, dragonhide banner, Bellower. 350pts

RARE UNITS:
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 thundetusk: 250pts
TOTAL: 2 999pts

What do you think?
Thanks!

Kain187
07-01-2013, 21:31
Hello

I would place your Lord with your guts. You can have them 3 wide and then have your lord and firebelly in the second rank moving them forward when needed. Also I would suggest using the banner that prevents spells on a unit for your bsb and place him with your lord as well. I play vs ogres alot and pit of shades is devestating to them.

I would run 50 gnoblars in your list and 3 sabretusks. Their the best chafe in the game and using them to make sure you get the charge is priceless. The 50 gnoblars with regen is one of the better anvils you can have. Send them at the unit you do not want to fight until later and watch them fight them for a turn or two.

Bulls I have found to me very lackluster. I would take more guts and possible look into running maneaters like the previous post mentioned sniper/poison/flaming banner.

The French Guy
09-01-2013, 08:07
List updated!
Thanks for your advice!

I don't have full command so I won't have both FN and SM at the second rank of a 3 wide gut unit.
Anyway, I feel like they would take a lot of punishment if I put both spellcasters in the same (already threatening) unit, so I would prefer letting the SM with bulls.

I have been wondering about getting a magic banner for the BSB or magic items, I think I will build him with a crown of command to help the bull unit.

I dropped a unit of leadbelchers to get 10 trappers, 3 bulls, magic items and keep the thundertusk in.
Should I get sabretusks instead of trappers?

I don't want to field maneaters, at least not know.
I am wondering about the size of my core units, should I go with a bullhorde and 2 units of 6 ironguts, or a guthorde and 2 units of 8 bulls? Or should I leave the list as it stands?

According to the other units of my list, would you take a stonehorn or a thundertusk?
I believe a thundertusk between the bulls and the mournfang could buff them nicely. (and bring a stonethrower to the army, a harpoon, and another target for warmachines/spells/arrows..)
Thanks for your feedbacks!

Darkminion
09-01-2013, 09:32
The reason you want the slaughtermaster (general) in the Ironguts is so he benefits from the banner of discipline, boosting his LD to 9. He then puts this LD 9 into his Inspiring Presence bubbel, so the rest of your army benefits from it. I would play the Irongut unit as follows:

10 Ironguts (full command)(Banner of discipline)
Slaughtermaster (Fencers blades / Earthing rod / Greedy fist)
Bruiser BsB (Enchanted Shield / Talisman of Endurance / Sword of Striking)

This unit I play 4x3 and it is very tough. In combat move the characters into combat. Your enemy is forced to allocate allmost al his attacks on your SM, BsB and champion. They will soak up most of the damage from your "vullnerable" Ironguts. With their high toughness and protection (cast Trollguts!) they will not get many wounds. When you strike you do: 5 str 5 attacks with SM with WS 10, 4 str 5 attacks with BsB (with +1 to hit, so mostly hit on 2+) and then 19 str 6 attacks with the Guts. Not counting on the Stomps and Impact hits here.

The reason I give my SM the Earthing rod is because I want to make my casting as reliable as I can without having to fear for miscasts. Since he is my General I do not want him to get sucked into the warp on turn one. And I do want to cast trollguts on 6 dice when it is important. Even without having trollguts active though, you BsB has a 5+ ward and your SM a 6+ from the fist, which still makes them hard to kill. Mind though that I only choose the Earthing rod IF I have a second caster to take the Dispel Scroll. Ogres are vulnerable against the most popular magic lores and a succesfull casting of purple sun or pit of shades can really ruin your day. Allways have a dispel scroll when playing Ogres!

Your Bulls can do without the character support really. I do not play Bulls at all, but this is preferance, they are a very solid choice. Their role however is to soak up damage and hold (an Anvil) and if you get the right buffs on them they can even hit hard. In your list I would use the Bull unit as intended, thus as an Anvill. They are better equiped for getting hit then Ironguts. Ironguts need to do damage (therefore I let the characters be hit in their unit). Bulls with their 5+ / 6++ saves are ideal at playing Anvil, so my advise would be to play them more deep instead of wider. 12 will suffice, played 3x4. (Remember, with the SM within 12 inch they will still be LD9!)(Cast stubborn on them if you want on 2 dice, your enemy wont stop it that quickly as he is saving dice to stop your Regen spell most of the time).

Some more short advice:

Since you are playing 3000 points and are thus playing Grand Battle rules, why not take 6 single Sabretusks, they are the best unit in the book and can totally win you games. Start deployment by putting your sabretusks on the board, that is 6 deployment drops without your enemy having any idea as to what your plans are. At that point he will also have 6 units on the table. Then drop your two Ironblasters and he has 8 units on the table, most of the time giving you a general idea as how to best use your remaining drops to your advantige. A good deployment wins you games!

I never use a Thundertusk. It has its merit on some occasions, but it is not so tough. I you really want to bring a big beasty (and who doesn't?) then take a Stonehorn I would say. A Stonehorn on a flank must be dealt with (he has frenzy so is immune to psychology, so does not need the generals LD to stay onboard). Most importantly he is pretty resilient against cannon fire with his Stone Skeleton rules. An enemy really has to commit in killing them this way, which is fine with you since it keeps your blocks intact. With 6 Sabretusks, a Stonehorn, 2 Blocks of Ogres and a unit of Mournfang coming his way you force him to make some imoprtant descisions.

Well, that is enough for one post I think. If you need more advise, just let me know!

D...

The French Guy
09-01-2013, 12:43
Waow, you really gave me a long and excellent post, thank you very much!
I am not set on the magic items yet and will have to playtest a bit.

However I retooled my units to get 12 ogres in the irongut unit and 15 in the bulls (characters included).
The LD9 is a pretty good stuff, I would like to try the crown in the guts and only have to cast stubborn on the bulls.

The stonehorn could do well on his own I guess?
This gives me 3 sabretusks and 10 trappers for some redirection tricks (should I drop the 10 trappers for more sabretusks or something around 50pts like LVL2 on the firebelly?)

I also beef the leadbelchers to 6 strong ogres. Should I keep them in one unit or play 2 of 3 ogres?
Thanks!

LORDS:
Slaughtermaster (gastromancy): Fencer's blades, Glittering scales, Dispell Scroll, Dragonbane Gem, Ironcurse Icon, level 4, ironfist. 383pts

HEROES:
Bruiser: BSB, Crown of Command, Dragonhelm, heavy armour, ironfist. 183pts
Firebelly: heavy weapon, Hell Heart. 179pts

CORE UNITS:
14 bulls: ironfists, standard, gnoblar, Bellower. 537pts (Firebelly, 5 wide 3 deep)
10 ironguts: standard, banner of discipline, gnoblar, Bellower. 513pts (Lord and BSB, 4 wide 3 deep)

SPECIAL UNITS:
6 leadbelchers. 258pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
4 mournfang cavalry: ironfists, heavy armours, standard, dragonhide banner, Bellower. 350pts

RARE UNITS:
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 Stonehorn. 250pts
TOTAL: 2 999pts

EDITED: just realized it is 3 106pts, sooooo will have to cut some fat off!

Darkminion
09-01-2013, 13:58
No problem, I am glad to help. Please note however that although I figure myself as a good player that my advice (nor anybodies advice for that matter) is set in stone. The advice I am offering is my view on the Ogres. Since Ogres have a very good book at the moment there are really alot of ways to play them. For example, just as I choose not to use Bulls, does not by any means mean they are a bad unit choice.

Now, on to your list:

First, I still see you are putting your Bull unit 5 wide. Why is this? In many occasions this is not optimal. Bulls are usually there to get hit and stay in place. they are your Anvill. Your hammers (Mournfang / Ironguts / Stonehorn) are there to do damage. For this reason it is best to keep them narrower and deeper. I would not play them 15 strong as you do but play a maximum of 12 (3x4). If you insist on playing 15 then in my opinion it is better to play them 3x5 then 5x3. For one thing, keeping them narrow means they are easier to move around on the battlefield, and second they get more rank(bonus) and thus remain steadfast longer (no need to cast stubborn spell).

The only exeption to playing them wider is to increase its size to about 18 and play them 6 wide (since you get the horde bonus then). But even then it is usually wise to put as many characters as you can in the front rank to keep damage to the unit at a minimal while dishing out more yourself.

For your list I would play the max of 12 Bulls and play them 3x4. I would also not put the Firebelly in it. Keep it nice and cheap that unit.

As for Leadbelchers, there really is not one type of advice to give. Generally there are two opinions. One is to play multiple small unit and the other is to play them in a bigger unit. Each has its own advantige. Lets say you play 8 of them. Playing 2 units of 4 gives you the option of shooting on multiple targets and gives you two drops to position them where you want. My personal favorite is to play them in one unit, because a bigger unit is also a nice close combat thread. A unit of 6 or 8 Leadbelchers can be used to fight as well as shoot.

When I play a firebelly I usually put him in a unit of 7 leadbelchers (mind that mine does not have the hellheart, but a scroll and a ruby ring). That way I start blasting fireballs (or when I am lucky 'flaming sword of ruin' on the leadies) in the magic phase and leadbelcher cannons in the shooting phase. Then when the units eventually is used for combat it is still a unit of equal str as a unit of bulls and the firebelly really helps with his breathweapon or his flaming impact hit when fighting regen units.

Gnoblars are btw really good for screening for leadbelchers. For one they are so small that your leadbelchers can shoot over them without getting a penalty for it, second, since you do not want to march with your leadbelchers (since you want to shoot) the smaller movement rate of the Gnobs is not really an issue. You put them in front of the leadies, the Gnobs march 8 inch, the Leadies move some inches and you start shooting.

One last bit of advice for leadbelchers, allways, allways give them a musician. Since they can move and shoot without penalty, the ability of a quick reform (for which you need a musician) is really good for them. Fast cav unit moves behind you? No problem, make a quick reform and shoot them to bits!

On to Sabretusks. You mentioned them as redirectors, and indeed they perform very good in this field. But remember that that is not all they can do! They are also excellent warmachine hunters and can take much enemy chaff units head on! If your enemy has a lot of artillery like cannons etc, you can choose to simply march them forward, positioning them into charge range of a cannon for example. Your enemy by no means want to spent his shooting or his magic on a 21 point unit, but you are forcing him to act, for if he does not he will loose a cannon the next turn. If he shoots it, magics it, or charges it with something, it is all good for you because you forced his hand into dealing with a unit you do not give a crap about and leaves your more important unit intact and ready to go. Sabres can even charge enemy dog units, wolf riders and other fast cav unit, hell even some knights (5 tall empire core knights) and have a change to break them. With their relatively high initiative, str and number of attacks they can do so much more then only redirection. Learn to play with them, they are truly golden!

Hope this helps again!

D...

The French Guy
10-01-2013, 05:51
Thanks again for your detailed feedback!
The reason why I have that odd amount of bulls in the unit is just because I try to create a list out of 2 battalion boxes as a basis, so I'll have 24 ogres (12IG/12bulls) and 8 leadbelchers, as I will use 10 IG, I wanted to field the other 14 ogres I'll have. I also read several battle reports where the player had 15 bulls, 5*3 or 3*5.
It must also be because I only played skavens before I started ogres and 12 seems really thin in my mind as an anvil unit but I might be wrong as I never played them yet!

Dropping 2 bulls could give me a 7th leadbelcher, and musician option, then I could put the leadbelcher in it, sceened by the gnoblars as you suggested. Really like that idea!
Should I go for level 2 on the firebelly? Or should I just hope for flaming sword of ruin and swap any other spell for fireballs?
I want to try the hellheart first, if it doesn't work out, I will give him dispell and ruby ring; then earthing rod to the SM.

Darkminion
10-01-2013, 07:51
Ok, I understand you want to make the best use out your battalions. Here is a tip on building ogres then. The great thing (building wise) about Ogres is that all the different boxes and their parts and bits fit on eachother. Furthermore, you get a lot of extra's on all the different boxes. With some spare Ogre bodies from your battalion it is very easy to make some cool looking maneaters or characters. For example, in the Mournfang kit you have a nice pistol arm that you will never put on a mournfang champ (in fact, never play a mournfang champ period!), further since you do not use the greatweapons on the mournfang either these make great looking arms for your Ironguts or gw wielding maneaters or characters. Also, the Stonehorn en Ironblaster kit has very nice heads, weapons, etc, etc, to really give you plenty of options all around!

I understand that when coming from Skaven that the first impression on playing an army with Monstrous Inf seems a bit small. Remember though that 12 Ogres is 36 Wounds and with base T4 and a 5+ / 6++ save and Str 4 they can handle themselves pretty well. With the ability to buff their Toughness, Strenght or give them Regeneration this increases enormously. Play some games, you'll soon learn.

On the Firebelly, personally when I play one I buy the extra magic level. I think it well spent for what you get. It increases my chance for Flaming Sword (which is really good on leadies) and makes him a more potent back up caster. Sometimes I use him for dispelling a low casted spell on one dice (not wanting to risk my SMs dispelling for that turn if I roll a 1 or 2). But if you just go for fireball, a level 1 is certainly playeble.

Remember also that if you put him in the Leadbelchers, this is a unit that has less chance of getting close to the enemies casters, so the Hellheart might be less effective. On general on the Hellheart, see it as a way of countering an enemies magic phase. You will be solely dissapointed if you count on it to do damage or even killing enemy mages. Also, be prepaired that in some battles it does nothing at all. It is a great item and enemy generals fear it alot, but it is very situational.

For myself, the importance on arcane items is the following:
1 Dispel scroll
2 Earthing rod
3 Hellheart

But again, this is personal, many players see this differently.

Hope this helps again...Any more questions? Just ask!

D...

The French Guy
10-01-2013, 11:39
I just realized my maths were off with the last list.
I had to drop some stuff.

However, I still have 5 leadbelchers with bellower and the level 2 firebelly with ruby ring will join them.
I also have one more sabretusk.

The greedy fist sounds pretty effective but I would like to fit a rock eye in the list, mainly because of some night goblin fanatics I will have to play against.
As I also want to fit a crown of command, I had to make a choice.

What do you think of this one, does it look better than my first list?
Thanks!

LORDS:
Slaughtermaster (gastromancy): Fencer's blades, Crown of Command, Earthing rod, Dragonbane gem, level 4. 385pts

HEROES:
Bruiser: BSB, Sword of striking, Dragon helm, Opal amulet, rock eye, heavy armour, Ironfist. 188pts
Firebelly: heavy weapon, Dispell scroll, ruby ring, level 2. 214pts

CORE UNITS:
12 bulls: ironfists, standard, Bellower. 404pts (3 wide 5 deep)
10 ironguts: standard, banner of discipline, gnoblar, Bellower. 513pts (Lord and BSB, 4 wide 3 deep)

SPECIAL UNITS:
5 leadbelchers: Bellower. 225pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts
1 sabretusk. 21pts

RARE UNITS:
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 ironblaster. 170pts
1 Stonehorn. 250pts
TOTAL: 2 998pts

Darkminion
10-01-2013, 12:19
Its starting to look pretty solid!

Some stuff:

You cannot use the charmed shield in conjunction with the fencers blades as they are paired weapons and thus require the use of two hands. Besides, a charmed shield is usually best use for a lone character, not when used in a unit (to negate the first cannon shot).

The rock eye can be handy, especially to find out which of the enemy units has the flaming banner, which can be a big deal if you have Trollguts up. As for fanatics, they are not a problem, just march a sabretusk within 8 inch of the night gobbo unit and there they go. Sabres are also a great answer to Mangler Squigs, just move them on top of one and there they go.

But all in all its start to look good my friend. Get some games under your belt to see how you like it!

D...

The French Guy
11-01-2013, 07:43
Oops, you're right.
I gave him a dragonbane gem instead.
I went for an ironfist/dragonhelm/opal amulet for the bruiser.

I started painting my bulls, Hope the result will be pleasant.
Thanks for all your advices, now I know how to organize the boxes I will buy.