PDA

View Full Version : Defence line sales post 6th ed

The Marshel
15-11-2012, 23:19
prior to 6th ed, I saw the defence line as a cool kit but not really worth it. When 6th ed hit I ended up buying one for the AA quad cannon. With Flyers being the new thing and AA being so poorly spread the defence line has been often discussed as AA for many list. As such, i'm curious to see how many people bought this kit after 6th ed was released.

For those that have, have you used them in game yet and how did you find them in battle?
For those who haven't, why not?

Poll allows for multiple choices. Don't count defence lines bought for converting hydras or riflemen dreads etc

Chem-Dog
16-11-2012, 00:24
My club bought a couple when they came out, all of my games happen at the club. So I guess that counts me as a pre-6th buyer.

Not been moved to use fortifications yet though. I probably won't until GW put some serious effort into supporting the non-Imperial factions with analogous kits (at the very least) or, preferably, something that can be used in their stead. It would be nice to see them embrace Fortifications as another aspect of army building planted firmly in the Codex. Wouldn't have been too hard to have inserted a Blasphemous Monument or Vile Desecration just after the Heavy Support Section of the Chaos Marine Codex to give them a unique choice in the Fortifications front.
Still, I'm hoping that CSM's are the odd ones out and that the Xenos factions at least will get a Fort or two of their very own.

Captain Ventris
16-11-2012, 00:56
I bought the big set with planet strike with 3 DL and 2 Bastions... I had not touched them however till 6th ed

agurus1
16-11-2012, 01:28
I got the aegis and the bastion to convert up for my IW, but as of yet I haven't used them. My local meta hasn't gone fly crazy yet lol, if I did use one atm it would be for a reserves heavy army and I would use the comms relay

MajorWesJanson
16-11-2012, 05:19
I picked up a strongpoint when they came out, and more bunkers and lines for a total of 6 bastions (4 got converted into a massive fortress) and 5 defense lines (one quad gun cannibilized to make a rifleman dreadnought)

agurus1
16-11-2012, 06:06
I picked up a strongpoint when they came out, and more bunkers and lines for a total of 6 bastions (4 got converted into a massive fortress) and 5 defense lines (one quad gun cannibilized to make a rifleman dreadnought)

do you have pictures of your fortress?

Maskedman5oh4
16-11-2012, 07:10
I play tyranids.

agurus1
16-11-2012, 07:25
could still use and aegis w/ comm array, or a skyshield ;)

Maskedman5oh4
16-11-2012, 07:52
But I have sensibilities...

:cries:

MagicHat
16-11-2012, 08:18
Always thought it was a nifty kit, bought one after 6th. Haven't really used it yet though.

d6juggernaut
16-11-2012, 13:30
I bought an Aegis defense line because I'm terrified of helldrakes, first game with it I got lucky and shot down a helldrake coming in, so that's pretty nifty. But then I realized you deploy your fortification before deploying other terrains, so the opponent can just stick a LOS blocking terrain in front of your quad-gun and call it a day. So not sure about the ruling of this.

IcedCrow
16-11-2012, 13:53
Yes those are the players I typically play once and then thank them for the game and don't bother playing them again.

Fortifications should be placed after IMO.

MagicHat
16-11-2012, 13:57
I bought an Aegis defense line because I'm terrified of helldrakes, first game with it I got lucky and shot down a helldrake coming in, so that's pretty nifty. But then I realized you deploy your fortification before deploying other terrains, so the opponent can just stick a LOS blocking terrain in front of your quad-gun and call it a day. So not sure about the ruling of this.

Pretty much correct. Luckily, I have yet to meet an opponent in my club that follows the steps in the rulebook.
Most of the games I have played, we placed terrain, rolled for which side, fortifications and then rolled for mission.

Nezalhualixtlan
16-11-2012, 14:10
I purchased two Imperial Strongpoints when Planetstrike first came out, so I've had them for a while.

Commandojimbob
16-11-2012, 14:11
I am just gutted that I pulled out of buying an Imperial Strongpoint when it was 55 !!! :(

Luckily I have 2 Bastions and 2 Aegis kits and the quad gun is useful for all occassions.

Vedar
16-11-2012, 15:42
We play all our games at my house so I bought the 2 bastions and 3 DL when they came out. I think it was $90 back then and I got it for around $70 online so it was not that bad a deal.

Bonzai
16-11-2012, 17:08
6th edition changed buying a defense line from "I'll get around to it when I start beefing up my terrain", to "I need 2, pronto". I wouldn't be suprised if sales on those things increased 200%.

Heck, you know all those parking lot lists that supposedly disapeared with 6th? They are still very much around over here. They just take a defense line to park behind for a 5+ cover and anti-air, and are good to go. The last local tourney was won by IG mech vets, and second was GK razorback/ psifleman dread spam. Both of whom hid behind defense lines.

Hrw-Amen
16-11-2012, 18:35
I bought one a while ago intending to use the quad gun to make an AA tank, but when I got it home discovered it was really tiny. I decided to buy a FW Hydra instead. To be honest it has just sat in its box and I have done nothing with it. I already have a set of reasonably good scratch built trenches made from match sticks and card. They are pretty good looking even if I do say so myself.

MagicHat
16-11-2012, 18:51
6th edition changed buying a defense line from "I'll get around to it when I start beefing up my terrain", to "I need 2, pronto". I wouldn't be suprised if sales on those things increased 200%.

Heck, you know all those parking lot lists that supposedly disapeared with 6th? They are still very much around over here. They just take a defense line to park behind for a 5+ cover and anti-air, and are good to go. The last local tourney was won by IG mech vets, and second was GK razorback/ psifleman dread spam. Both of whom hid behind defense lines.

4+ cover actually.

Angelwing
16-11-2012, 19:46
Not buying one due to the cynical price increase on the fortification kits just before 6th ed hit making fortifications very attractive.... Besides, I have loads of old bunkers and barricades as it is, and as a mainly tyranid player, my job is to take their fortifications from the enemy by viciously devouring all their puny men. *insert insect chittering*

Chapters Unwritten
16-11-2012, 20:05
I used it for a while when 6th landed; the synergy with my Long Fangs is pretty obvious. But then, I got to thinking, I was wasting 100 points and the quad cannon didn't seem to be helping me against Flyers much. I quickly learned it's easier to bait flyers to the ground to get killed or avoid them entirely then it is to shoot them down.

I still use it sometimes since it basically is a mirror of my Rifleman Dread, and with split fire I can use it against lots of targets.

ColShaw
16-11-2012, 20:27
I've never liked the way the models looked. The 1/3 price hike when they became a points-purchasable unit (cute, GW) didn't help. Haven't and won't buy them.

MajorWesJanson
16-11-2012, 20:48
do you have pictures of your fortress?

It's nothing too original, just four bastions made into a large building 2 wide and 2 tall. I can see about a picture if you are interested, but I have not gotten around to painting it at all.

agurus1
17-11-2012, 03:41
It's nothing too original, just four bastions made into a large building 2 wide and 2 tall. I can see about a picture if you are interested, but I have not gotten around to painting it at all.

For sure I'm interested in pictures, as an IW player always on the lookout for inspiration lol you can pm me them if you like

Bold_or_Stupid
17-11-2012, 10:31
Got the strongpoint set for Christmas Last year. Yey!
Pondering how to convert retro thrusters onto a bastion so it fits my Claws of Russ Drop SW army...

TheDarkDuke
17-11-2012, 14:58
I would love to get one. But I live in Canada and prefer to not have my wallet ripped right out of my pocket and ebay is no better for there terrain in price either.

adreal
18-11-2012, 09:29
I'm thinking of getting one for my chaos, but it's not a priority right now. I scratch built a bastion for my dark eldar when 6th came out though.....

Seth the Dark
18-11-2012, 17:31
I've had an Aegis Line but bought one for my Chaos Marines and am making it more chaotic looking.

Azazel
19-11-2012, 13:21
I like the ADL but I've never owned one. I just don't think it would compliment the rest of my list(s) very well.

The fact that you can just snipe the emplaced weapon is a big turn off for me.