PDA

View Full Version : Zombies!!! By Twilight Creations- Appreciation Thread

BigbyWolf
16-11-2012, 19:00
Following on from MOMUS's''s's thread, I felt it might be a good idea to give the marvel that is Zombies!!! its own thread. Given that it's a highly adjustable game, where you can tailor rules etc to fit your preferences it should be quite fun to share your thoughts/ ideas with other players.:yes:

First up, do we have any other Zombies!!!ists hanging around?

MOMUS
17-11-2012, 06:54
I would like to play the game, ive seen it at my local club quite a few times. Might have a go at making the board pieces.

BigbyWolf
17-11-2012, 08:43
That's what we intend to do.

One of the things I like about the game is that everyone seems to enjoy playing it. I don't want to get anyones hopes up, but our regular Zombies game-night usually includes three wimminz. And they're not even paid to be there, they're in some form of dating/ engaged/ married situation and absolutely love the game.

machine_recovered_meat
17-11-2012, 17:45
I've played far too much Zombies!!!

We have up to 7: Send in The Clowns and elected to explore other games for awhile though we have been tempted to pick up the Humans!!! game.

It really is a delightful game. Different every time. Managed 9 players once on a huge map that took about 4 hours and much booze to play.

I like the extra cards in 3.5 and my favourite add-ons are the Guts tokens from Schools Out and the whole set of Six Feet Under :)

Grimmeth
20-11-2012, 08:59
I've only got the core game at the moment, and while it can be a lot of fun it can get massively frustrating sometimes as it just takes forever to play (I've had games where no-one seems able to make the helipad)!
That said some of the expansions are meant to address this a little, so I think I'm going to start investing in some of those.

BigbyWolf
21-11-2012, 16:20
I've only got the core game at the moment, and while it can be a lot of fun it can get massively frustrating sometimes as it just takes forever to play (I've had games where no-one seems able to make the helipad)!
That said some of the expansions are meant to address this a little, so I think I'm going to start investing in some of those.

The majority of our games seem to end with someone killing 25 zombies rather than getting to the helipad, and this happens even more when you add the expansions to it (you end up with many more zombies wandering around!). We tend to find that the longest section of the game starts when someone gets close to winning, then everyone starts to pick on them!

I've played far too much Zombies!!!

We have up to 7: Send in The Clowns and elected to explore other games for awhile though we have been tempted to pick up the Humans!!! game.

It really is a delightful game. Different every time. Managed 9 players once on a huge map that took about 4 hours and much booze to play.

I like the extra cards in 3.5 and my favourite add-ons are the Guts tokens from Schools Out and the whole set of Six Feet Under :)

The biggest game we've ever managed was starting in the Mall, making your way into the town, going from the town into the woods, and then onto the army base. It was about 8 hours long, with a break for food in the middle.

As for your other points, we've found that to be the case too. 3.5 is a must, and the cards from that are always mixed in with the original set. The guts tokens are great too, we use them regardless of which version we are playing.

6 Feet Under we like as the key to that one is escape, rather than killing. So whenever we include that one we house rule it so you can only win by getting to the helipad, regardless of how many zombies you kill.

Some other exceptions we like to make are:

With Zombies!!! 8- Jailbreak, there are "Get out of Jail" cards that you have to have to escape the prison, but we don't bother with them.

For a quicker game, and more manic, you can have up to 7 guts tokens, and start with 5 (and 5 cards, obviously).

If your playing with an expansion, and pick up a weapon or item card that can only be used on certain buildings in the town, you can play it in any building/ room from the expansion tiles.

Under no circumstances are you allowed to play the skateboard card at the same time as the bicycle card from Schools Out. :mad:

A roll of a "1" in combat is an automatic fail. This had to be introduced after someone ended up with three "+1" weapons and was just running around collecting zombies.

Shush
21-11-2012, 20:47
My family play Zombies every Boxing Day along with some other family games. We've got the army and college boxes as well as the clowns and we put them all together and bend the rules to make them work :)

It's lots of fun especially when your a little drunk :D

I agree about picking on the one whose winning that's the best bit!

What do you think is the best expansion box?

BigbyWolf
22-11-2012, 13:08
So far? Bearing in mind I've only played The Orginal, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8...

Not including 4, as it's technically a whole game on its own, I'd say 8 (Jailbreak) is the strongest. Starting in straight jackets adds a fun aspect to it (you roll to remove the jacket at the start of a turn, and if you still have it on you can only dodge zombies). Several fun cards in there spice it up, and there seems to be a lot of Zombies used. You begin in the jail and have to escape into the town, but I won my first game of Jailbreak without actually leaving the prison!

The weakest? The mall could do with having better cards, and the college one isn't fantastic either (apart from the guts tokens).

Apparently 9 (Graveyard) is pretty good.

I was trying to get them all in order, but got bought 8 as a present. I think I might break again and buy 11 next (1, 4 and 11 being full games and better value for money).

That is one thing that annoys me a little. The full games are around 20, and you get a lot of stuff with them. But the expansions are usually 12-15 with far less stuff.

Shush
23-11-2012, 18:52
I'll try to convince every one we should get the jailbreak one for Christmas then thank you :D

BigbyWolf
24-11-2012, 09:24
There are a couple of cards in there that work wonderfully together.

I got into the "exectution chamber" and cleared out all the zombies, then to get me, someone played a card that filled the chamber with zombies, and I had a card that instantly killed all zombies in the chamber! :D

And as we had the main set in play too, I had other cards to fill up the chamber. I got 20 of my 25 kills in that one room. :D:D

ColShaw
28-11-2012, 14:27
I played Zombies a lot in college. Like Bigbywolf, we discovered that things get most complicated and nasty when someone's just about to win; I found out that the best way to win was to be in the 2nd place slot. Then everyone burns their unpleasant cards on the frontrunner and you can sprint past them to victory.

Best time I had in this game was when I raided the military base, hotwired a jeep from the motor pool, ducked into the Armory, grabbed a bazooka, stepped outside, blew up the Government Secret Lab full of zombies, went BACK into the Armory the next turn, played ANOTHER bazooka, left the Armory again and blew up the Armory too! Then I drove for the exit, gunning down the undead as I went. Got to 25 zombies without too much trouble that time.

It's extra funny when you have 23 or 24 dead zombies and are trying for a zombie-kill victory; then all the other players do things like freeze your movement, or move the shamblers away from you so you can't get that last kill.

blackcherry
30-11-2012, 16:02
I played it a lot a few years back. I only played the core game and the first expansion, but the sweet spot seemed to happen when you got 5+ players involved and the helipad was placed down half way through a game. All of a sudden the dirty tricks come out and it becomes a great of who can stab the other person in the back first :D

BigbyWolf
05-12-2012, 14:13
Only found this out recently:

"Zombies is a video game adaptation of the popular tile-based board game by Twilight Creations Inc, publisher of the original game. The game was initially to be developed by Big Rooster for PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade and Windows PCs through Steam, with possible versions for the Wii and the Nintendo DS. However, only Xbox Live Arcade and Windows Phone 7 versions have been confirmed after development of the game was resumed by Babaroga.

The game play of Zombies is closely modeled on the original board game. Players move their "shotgun guy" (player piece) around the board trying to reach the helipad tile to escape the ever-growing zombie horde. Alternately, players can win the game by killing 25 zombies.

The Windows Phone 7 version of Zombies uses the touchscreen of the device for all control input. For example, players tap a die graphic to roll for character movement, zombie movement, and combat. Players can use touchscreen gestures to zoom in and out of the board as well as scroll to view different areas of the board.

The initial Windows Phone 7 release of Zombies supports single player as well as multi-player game play on one device. Human players can play against up to four CPU or human opponents in a "pass and play" game. In this style of play, Player 1 takes their turn, then passes the device to Player 2, who takes their turn and passes to Player 3, etc. According to developer Babaroga, on-line multiplayer for Zombies is in development for a future update to the game which may also include play "across multiple hardware setups."

Single-player game play in Zombies is a "Survival Mode" in which the "shotgun guy" is placed in a randomly generated town full of zombies. The player must move their "shotgun guy" to the helipad tile (as in a standard multi-player game) or kill all the zombies in the town in order to win the game.

Development of Zombies by Big Rooster was originally announced in October 2008.

In October 2009, videogame news site Joystiq reported that Twilight Creations was looking for another company to develop the game, but could not "disclose the status of [former developer] Big Rooster."

No further word on the game appeared until Microsoft announced a list of Xbox Live-compatible titles for their Windows Phone 7 platform at Gamescom 2010. Developed by Babaroga, the Windows Phone 7 version of Zombies was released on 12 January 2011. A version of the game for Xbox Live Arcade has been confirmed and is in active development."

Here's one happy XBox owner...

Daniel36
11-12-2012, 10:21
Love it, love it, love it.
Haven't played it in a while though.

What I like most about it is, it is SO easy to adapt to fit your needs. It can be easily turned into an RPG with minimal effort, if you wanted it to be.
I might have to play it again some day, with my wife this time. She took a liking to The Walking Dead, so this might be more up her alley now.
I only have 1 and 3.5 though... I never bothered getting any of the other ones.

BigbyWolf
24-01-2013, 12:05
Tonight I will be trying Zombies 11 for the first time. Looks pretty good. Very different game from the standard type. Will post an update on it later!

Badbones777
13-03-2013, 21:27
I have the core game and the first 3 expansions (oh aye and "3.5") and am considering the 4th very strongly as it would both add to
main game and would also be a cheap way of getting some giant rats for my Skaven!

Yeah, it's a fab game and I have found it's a perfect game for those evenings when the group essentially wants to chat while doing
something that everyone can play together (as opposed to say 6 people playing 3 seperate card games - which is great but sometimes
you want to keep the group focus even as you waffle!)

Badbones777
13-03-2013, 21:30
Love it, love it, love it.
Haven't played it in a while though.

What I like most about it is, it is SO easy to adapt to fit your needs. It can be easily turned into an RPG with minimal effort, if you wanted it to be.
I might have to play it again some day, with my wife this time. She took a liking to The Walking Dead, so this might be more up her alley now.
I only have 1 and 3.5 though... I never bothered getting any of the other ones.

The RPG idea is fantastic and yes, do play it with your missus - my partner loved it and has since got mildly into LCG's
and is a bit more open minded to what we can play at games night - she did play magic back in the 90's but that was
about as geeky as it got. Zombies!!! was one of the first truly geek games she ever played with me - and it's a nice addition
to the usual rotation of Scrabble and Articulate!

Roguebaron
14-03-2013, 01:49
I've had a lot of fun with this one over the years , 9 can be interesting with the addition of zombie kids, the cemetery is a decent expansion.
Lateky all my time and money has been going into zombiecide, but I may need to take this out for a few games as well.
The humans game can be a bit of fun as a change, you play as the zombies, and try and collect brains.

BigbyWolf
14-03-2013, 13:33
I have the core game and the first 3 expansions (oh aye and "3.5") and am considering the 4th very strongly as it would both add to
main game and would also be a cheap way of getting some giant rats for my Skaven!

Yeah, it's a fab game and I have found it's a perfect game for those evenings when the group essentially wants to chat while doing
something that everyone can play together (as opposed to say 6 people playing 3 seperate card games - which is great but sometimes
you want to keep the group focus even as you waffle!)

Number 4 is well worth it, very good as a stand-alone and also works well as part of a combined game (either as an expansion to the main set, or the main set to an expansion.

Kamenya
21-03-2013, 19:36
I haven't played Zombies!!! but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Could anyone tell me how it compares to Zombicide, are the two simillar and if so is there one that you'd prefer?

BigbyWolf
22-03-2013, 08:41
Not played Zombicide (simply because of the cost...it's over 60 in the UK!!!), but I don't think they're at all similar (apart from the zombies). In Zombies!!! the models are smaller and I beleive there are less rules. You all play generic characters with exactly the same abilities. The board itself also has more variety (in that there are loads of separate tiles which are randomly placed) meaning that each game is different.

It also has the benefit of being much cheaper, at around 20 for the core set and 10 for the smaller expansions you can get yourself a lot more game for your money.

From what I gather Zombicide is more like Last Night on Earth.

Caiphas Cain
27-03-2013, 04:45
I bought Zombies!!! today. I've been wanting to get a zombie board game for a while, and this was the easiest to get. We didn't get a chance to play yet, dinner ran late and wore us out. Hopefully tomorrow then!

BigbyWolf
27-03-2013, 11:27
Here's wishing you many dead zombies!:yes:

As a suggestion, I’d highly recommend getting the 3.5 expansion ASAP. It doesn’t change any of the main game mechanics but does give you a lot more cards to play with.

Caiphas Cain
27-03-2013, 16:20
If we enjoy our first games I'm sure I'll get an expansion or two. Does the order in which you purchase them matter?

BigbyWolf
28-03-2013, 14:44
Nah, not really. The best ones (In my opinion) are Schools Out Forever (primarily for the introduction of "Guts" tokens), Jailbreak and 6 Feet Under. The weakest are the Mall and Schools Out Forever (for everything else it contains apart from Guts tokens).

Caiphas Cain
31-03-2013, 04:52
We played six games of Zombies over the past few days, and we're really enjoying it. The weakest part of the game is the card deck. There are a few fairly useless ones, and not much variety. In the six games, I think only three people were eaten by zombies. The dice must be loaded! The first game we played, I didn't read the rules about zombies... Needless to say we saw mobs of zombies crammed onto a single space. :p

Thanks, BigbyWolf. Ill check Amazon for some expansions.

Void Reaper
31-03-2013, 04:58
Haven't played it in years---but loved it when I did play. My various copies of the game have gotten lost in moves.

The Jailbreak game is a self-contained game, right? I remember the other games being stand-alone (except for that card supplement).

ASSASSINAWOKEN
07-04-2013, 06:28
Always wanted to play it and took a gamble and bought it and played the game with my wife. We both love it and played it with some new friends. I would like to get a new expansions as the expansions remind me of the cheap expansions to Killer Bunnies which is full of lulz. Is everyone agreeing to get 3.5 first fr more cards, then get 2, 3, 4, etc. ?

BigbyWolf
07-04-2013, 12:26
Haven't played it in years---but loved it when I did play. My various copies of the game have gotten lost in moves.

The Jailbreak game is a self-contained game, right? I remember the other games being stand-alone (except for that card supplement).

Jailbreak isn't stand-alone as such, but probably can be used as one for a quick game. The full stand-alones at this point are 4 (in the woods) and 11 (office block).

Always wanted to play it and took a gamble and bought it and played the game with my wife. We both love it and played it with some new friends. I would like to get a new expansions as the expansions remind me of the cheap expansions to Killer Bunnies which is full of lulz. Is everyone agreeing to get 3.5 first fr more cards, then get 2, 3, 4, etc. ?

3.5 definitely, 3 (Mall Walkers) is poor given that the mall scenario is a classic zombie situation. It's mainly the cards in the set that let it down. 2 is pretty fun.

Grimmeth
08-04-2013, 13:48
I wasn't that keen on 2 either. It doesn't really seem to add all that much (mind you, we didn't get chance to see the super zombies.)

BigbyWolf
08-04-2013, 14:18
For 2 I thought the cards were pretty good, they worked nicely, a lot better than 3. I'm actually working on a full review of all the expansions I have and intend to update the first post with it.

Grimmeth
08-04-2013, 14:51
I think we tried to do too much and combined 1, 2, 3 and 3.5 into a massive game. Maybe we should have cut 3 out.

BigbyWolf
08-04-2013, 16:29
I think we tried to do too much and combined 1, 2, 3 and 3.5 into a massive game. Maybe we should have cut 3 out.

*coughs*

We once had a game where we started in the mall (3), went through the town (1), through the outdoors (4) and into the army base (2).

But after many, many, MANY hours of playing we gave up on the army base idea and just finished with 4. Mixing lots of expansions together makes for a long game, and we found that we have more fun with just a single expansion.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
08-04-2013, 16:32
The last game with friends only used the base game and it took 2-3 hours with only our players. I guess it didn't help with me dropping 10 then 10 again and then 5 more zombies near the helicopter pad.

If you don't mind answering if I am doing this right.

Assume a player is about to combat a zombie with only the use of the die and only one heat left. If the player rolls a 4-6, dead zombie move on for more lulz. If the player rolls 1-3, does the player A) die and proceed to the Town square for immediate reincarnation or B) remove last heart and roll the die again and hope for a 4-6? I follow A as I read it in the FAQ, but wanted to make sure.

BigbyWolf
08-04-2013, 16:36
The last game with friends only used the base game and it took 2-3 hours with only our players. I guess it didn't help with me dropping 10 then 10 again and then 5 more zombies near the helicopter pad.

If you don't mind answering if I am doing this right.

Assume a player is about to combat a zombie with only the use of the die and only one heat left. If the player rolls a 4-6, dead zombie move on for more lulz. If the player rolls 1-3, does the player A) die and proceed to the Town square for immediate reincarnation or B) remove last heart and roll the die again and hope for a 4-6? I follow A as I read it in the FAQ, but wanted to make sure.

We've always played that you can use a heart to reroll the dice, if you have no hearts left and roll a 1-3, you die.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
08-04-2013, 18:53
Here is the link to the FAQ.

http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/en/zombies/faq/zombies.html

Here is the question which concerns it.

What happens when I have to use my last heart?
You immediately go to town square, discard any item cards in front of you, return half your zombies (rounded up) to the zombie pool, replenish to 3 bullets and 3 heart tokens. You may still discard a card and move zombies as usual.
Source: Kerry June 16, 2005

I'm guessing the last heart is your lifeline or life itself and once you have to use it you die. Having no hearts would make you dead or rather undead, lol.

Jedi152
11-04-2013, 11:23
We combine the main game, 2 and 3 into one big game. It's very easy for it to drag though. 4 looks great, i'd love to play that on it's own.

IMO Martians!!! is better, it gives you a reason to explore instead of just wait for the helipad to turn up.

BigbyWolf
11-04-2013, 12:59
We combine the main game, 2 and 3 into one big game. It's very easy for it to drag though. 4 looks great, i'd love to play that on it's own.

IMO Martians!!! is better, it gives you a reason to explore instead of just wait for the helipad to turn up.

Well, you only have to wait for the helipad to turn up if you're playing that way! We've tried several different game methods and found that the "get to tha choppa" scenario is only really used when playing 6 Feet Under or Death Inc. Most of the games end with killing the agreed number of zombies.

Z4 is good in that it does have a different ending...you have to clear out the abandoned shack and then recite a passage from the Necronomicon (basically, get into the shack, kill all zombie dogs and then roll a 6, adding +1 for each page of the book you hold).

BigbyWolf
15-04-2013, 12:24
Just ordered Zombies!!! 7: Send in the Clowns. Looks to be quite a bizarre expansion!:yes: