PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to play competitively

AlvinaTheCat
16-11-2012, 22:11
I'm new actually playing the game completely, but I have been collecting for about a year now. I wanted to start actually playing games but the only army I have currently is the Beastmen. I just dont know if i'd like how they play. I was just wondering if you guys thought it was a better idea to just pick up another army and start learning or to just keep the beastmen I have. I like almost all the armies except skaven, High Elves, dwarves, and the daemons of chaos. If there is an "easy to learn" or a less costly army i'd be all for that also. I'm also not the greatest painter....half of my beastmen army isn't even painted because i'm just bad at it haha.

SteveW
16-11-2012, 23:19
I'd play them before deciding if I like them or not.

liddan
17-11-2012, 00:43
Think ogres are a competative, very straight forward, quick to paint and easy to learn army. I would continue with your beastmen though. Buy more bestigors!

Sh4d0w
17-11-2012, 01:42
I would be careful about pursuing beastmen, i know several people that have started out with beastmen as a first army and quit because of it, they just seem to lack something for me. The alternatives as an easy an fun army are ogres, vampires (primarily because you can get so much easy help with them from sites like this), or even dark elves.

liddan
17-11-2012, 08:30
I guess beastmen has less variety than most armies.

They have basically small gors, gors, slightly bigger gors, bigger gors, huuge gor

It is still an awesome army though :)

BooMeRLiNSKi
17-11-2012, 11:02
I would be careful about pursuing beastmen, i know several people that have started out with beastmen as a first army and quit because of it, they just seem to lack something for me. The alternatives as an easy an fun army are ogres, vampires (primarily because you can get so much easy help with them from sites like this), or even dark elves.

Nothing wrong with beastmen, they lack a myriad of easy + competitive builds but that's it.

A lot of people advise vampires, being that it is my main army (probably) I am going to have to say they don't know what they are talking about.

Negatives to VC:

Very Expensive to build a complete army. You'll want/need most of the options the army provides which is obviously expensive, but even getting the army together at a basic level requires a lot of models.

Not so easy to paint. Skeletons are easy to paint even in vast quantities, hundreds of zombies is a nause.

Tactically not a beginner army. With very poor core troops combat wise, a general that crumbles your army if he dies and crumbling itself (I am sure many starter VC generals poof their units by charging into a combat involving zombies), they are far and away from being a point and click army.

Limited options:

As much as I love my VC, you do miss the shooting phase, the ability to bait and flee, warmachines etc. Maybe not the best army for a beginner who wants to experience all aspects of the game. Likewise it is an intrinsically magic driven army which can get boring.

Any army being advised to a beginner should be cheap to get on the table (low model count), easy to get painted (low model count) and tactically simple. So.....

Orges: Small model count, easy to paint, actually quite hard to design a "bad" list, easy to assemble, tactically simple (forward, smash), Cheap; two battalions will see you good for awhile.

Warriors of Chaos: Most armies small model count, easy to paint, multiple quite easy to build all comer lists, mostly tactically simple (forward, smash), Cheap; two battalions will see you good for awhile.

Additionally a small Brettonian force is fairly easy to buy, assemble and paint. A few lances made up of old 5th edition models + a treb and maybe some peg nights would be simple, reasonably effective, cheap, easy to get on the table and painted.

Nymie_the_Pooh
17-11-2012, 13:13
There's less of a gap in armies than what is suggested sometimes. Pick an army you like the models and the play style sounds like fun for you. The tiers tend to suggest armies that are either easy to pick up or amongst experienced players they might have a slight edge over other experienced players. Beastmen might not be top tier, but if they are what you like then they are the army you will be likely to do the best with over time. It's hard to tell what you like if you don't play however. See if someone will let you borrow or proxy an Empire or Greenskins list. Either of those offers a wide variety of play styles and will help you decide what you want to build toward with most of the other armies. The exceptions tend to be Wood Elves however as they sometimes play a different game from the other armies and you don't get to experience army wide special rules like Beastmen's Ambush or an Undead army. You will get to try a wide variety of models and see what type of units appeal to you before you dump your current models or pick up a bunch of new ones without knowing what you like first.

AlvinaTheCat
17-11-2012, 13:37
I do like my beastmen a lot. I guess I should go out and try them out but I have no one to play with haha. With all the points, I think im counting them right, I have about 2,850 points worth of models. Orges were actually on my list of armies I was thinking about picking up. Others were lizardmen, tomb kings, brets, and the empire. For collecting purposes I would like a human army, because I like the Beastmen vs humans idea and i can set them up pretty nicely. As for fighting, I'd want something fun and not frustrating trying to learn.

Col. Dash
17-11-2012, 14:41
The newer armies(in hardback) are much more balanced against each other than the older books so if its a whole new army you are after I would pick one of those. The soft back armies for the most part are in a leftover style of play from the older edition where every army(almost) was trying to outdo the one before it, and they are more powerful(not unbeatable mind you). But the problem with choosing one of those is while you might be all high speed right now, when the nerf hammer reprint comes around you will have to change your army a bit as combo's that are kick ass now are removed. The models will still be usable but they might not be as effective as they were(and likely they will get nicer looking new ones). In my opinion, if you want a really fun army, go orcs and goblins. If you want a more stable and secure army go empire. Or just hold out for a Beastman reprint.

AlvinaTheCat
17-11-2012, 15:19
Some of my friends said they will be starting an army soon. They are brothers so they are buying that Skaven and High Elf package. I can try my beastmen army out on them and see if I like them. I will check out ogres, orcs and gobs, and the empire. I want to stay away from the armies of chaos just because I have one of them. Thanks for the advice. If you guys have any suggestions about armies or tactics that work well against either the skaven or high elves I'd like to know.

Cooper97
19-11-2012, 04:38
Lizard men might not be the easiest to paint but I am a useless painter as well. They are great to learn to play with and extremely ray to learn. If not them then the Empire.myo get amazing versatility with the colours and they have a whole t
range of models. They are also easy to play and great fun to play with. I'd give them a try.

T10
19-11-2012, 08:10
I'm new actually playing the game completely, but I have been collecting for about a year now. I wanted to start actually playing games but the only army I have currently is the Beastmen. I just dont know if i'd like how they play. I was just wondering if you guys thought it was a better idea to just pick up another army and start learning or to just keep the beastmen I have. I like almost all the armies except skaven, High Elves, dwarves, and the daemons of chaos. If there is an "easy to learn" or a less costly army i'd be all for that also. I'm also not the greatest painter....half of my beastmen army isn't even painted because i'm just bad at it haha.

Chaos is the New Black these days. They are very easy to mass produce: Assemble, paint metal, apply back ink, profit. Of course, if you are going to use other stuff than Chaos Warriors, then you have to apply yourself.

-T10

jtrowell
19-11-2012, 11:01
The newer armies(in hardback) are much more balanced against each other than the older books so if its a whole new army you are after I would pick one of those. The soft back armies for the most part are in a leftover style of play from the older edition where every army(almost) was trying to outdo the one before it, and they are more powerful(not unbeatable mind you). But the problem with choosing one of those is while you might be all high speed right now, when the nerf hammer reprint comes around you will have to change your army a bit as combo's that are kick ass now are removed. The models will still be usable but they might not be as effective as they were(and likely they will get nicer looking new ones). In my opinion, if you want a really fun army, go orcs and goblins. If you want a more stable and secure army go empire. Or just hold out for a Beastman reprint.

I agree with this, buying one of the new army books will give you a more balanced army with several viable builds, meaning that if you tire of one, you can just buy a few more boxes/models to change you play style and still be competitive.

Of the new armies, Ogres are probably the best choice, they have ne really bad choice (even the less popular like gorger or Yetees are not bad by themselves, it's just that they are overshadowed by other choices in the army)

I would however advise you to not follow blindly the win-at-all-cost "wisdom" of taking only the most easily units and spam them, for several reasons:
- the army is more fun to play if you have more variety (both for you and your opponent, this can win you some fairplay points in tournaments too)

- if you go with the usual power player combo, you become predictable, and an experienced played will probably already have ideas of how to better counter you

- when a new army book come (or a well timed errata), if you put all your money in a few specific units that where the rage at the time, the unit will probably have been rebalanced and not be as good (read : too good for its points). Usually such units are still good and useable, just not to the point that you want to max them (a sure sign of undercosted/overspowered unit). For exemple, if you make an army with 3 units of 4 Mournfang and a new book make them slightly worse (they are currently one of the best Monstrous cavalry, their only true weakness being their low Ld), you might find one medium unit of them still useful for the cost, but not all 3 of them, and feel bad.
If you use only one unit now (or maybe two small to average units), and put some points in some of the many other good choices in the army, you will find that you can more easily change your army style over editions.

- Contrary to popular belief, Ogres are not forced into playing a big deathstar with characters, several medium ogres units, supported by many of our good and cheap support units can be very effective, provided that you know how to manage your Leadership (panic outside your general/BSB bubble can be a serious problem for such armies). sure, against other deathstars, not having your own means that you can just charge one on one, but Ogres are fairly mobile and can plan for combo charges. Ogres also have one of the best redirector in the game (a lone sabertusk), and for 50 points a 10 gnoblars unit with trappers can also make many big units fear charging them.

Note that Ogres can have a very good ranged support, forcing may opponents to come to you, knowing when to wait for your opponent and when to advance and charge is very important.

popisdead
19-11-2012, 19:26
You can learn to play Beastmen competatively. The Herdstone forum has a wealth of information and lots of people to help you learn the army.

Cooper97
19-11-2012, 23:38
I like the idea of buying some army books. Decide on the two or three armies you think you would be interested in, buy the army books and do your research! Then write p an army list for these armies. Decide which one you think will be most effective on the battle field, easiest to paint and easiest to learn how to use.

IcedCrow
20-11-2012, 14:17
If you can learn how to play beastmen and do well with them you would be well on your way to being an actual competent player as opposed to someone that can use net spam to hammer your opponent with. Beastmen are not an easy army to learn or to use. I would say if you really like how they look, keep at it and you will learn to be a good player.

Otherwise if winning tournaments is what concerns you, the guys have already chimed in some good advice. Ogres are the current internet daddy because of their gutstar build. Chaos is another internet daddy because of the chosenstar build. Vampire Counts are a strong but pretty army. Empire is well balanced. I'd say avoid tomb kings from a purely tournament sense (I'm finishing a league right now with Tomb Kings, have run them for over a decade, and they are like beastmen... takes a lot to get them to function properly as opposed to things like ogres) and orcs and goblins are a fun army but from a tournament competitive standpoint are in the middle of the pack.

AlvinaTheCat
20-11-2012, 15:27
I don't think i'd be getting into tournaments for a while. I just want to learn the game and an army. I do like the beastmen and I like almost all of the units they have, the razorgors are so ugly to me, but I like every other unit. I am competitive, but I'll only be facing against my 2 friends, one of which is even more competitive and he uses Skaven. But my choices have either come down to using my Beastmen and making them stronger or picking up the Empire. I do like the ogres, but I guess I was looking for an army that has more variety in what I can use to fight all sorts of armies.

I can say "I dont care if I lose, I just want to have fun", but with my friend Jason if I lose his ego and his trash talk will come down on me like an anvil. hahaha

Mithras69
20-11-2012, 15:35
If I were you, I'd start playing with your Beastmen. If you have played some games you can decide whether you like them or not. If not then ypu can always pick another army. Also, having played some games will make it easier to decide what you like in an army (combat, shooting, etc).

DeathlessDraich
20-11-2012, 18:22
I just want to learn the game and an army. I am competitive,

1) Stick with Beastmen - a very good army to learn to play well tactically and skillfully; because once you understand the basic skills fully you will appreciate that there is no army or army list which a tactically adept Beastmen player cannot beat or at least put up a hard fight.

2) Skaven? - not a problem for Beasts once you know how

Good luck! :)

AlvinaTheCat
20-11-2012, 19:02
Thanks guys, I think I'm gunna use my beastmen. Thanks for all the advise all. I'll consider everything people have said to me if I dont end up liking the beastmen or if im going to make a second army.