PDA

View Full Version : Nid Codex Cover and stuff

Nid
21-03-2005, 09:14
Spotted this in a thread in the Rumor Roundup, noticed it didn't have its own pic singled out yet, and so I'm alerting the media as it were.

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0313.JPG

Top right.

Also shown are box covers.

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0312.JPG
Possible army box art?

http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0316.JPG
Is it just me or does the Warrior have a different head?

So yeah...Can't claim credit for the link, but I wanted these pictures in particular scrutinized.

Wraith
21-03-2005, 09:38
I'll be honest with you they did such a good job with the 3rd edition codex cover this one pales in comparison; nonetheless however, it's a nice piece of art anyway.

Is that a Tyrant with duel scything talons?

Wolflord Bloodangel
21-03-2005, 10:48
:(

Bastard GW! looks like Im gonna have to start my Nid army (again).... That cover does look a little awful though (the arms look dumpy as, as far as I can tell).

Imbroglio
21-03-2005, 11:16
I don't think they'll photo shop the BIG army box, becuase in my experience they tend to have a nice picture of all the mini's inside. It's not quite the same as a squad box, or a battalion - they need to demonstrate just how much is in the big boxes. Look to the big SM box before Christmas, and the two big Armies for the Fantasy SoC (How I wanted both of them...)

If the finance is available, I think they are great boxes to start an army. I know I've enjoyed my SM one :). At 100+ however, they tend to be pricey... but just occasionally.

-- Imbroglio

Inquisitor DreaxIV
21-03-2005, 11:16
That second picture reminds me of Terminator when its in the future against the robots... :p
They're doing a great job with the new minis but i agree with you that the codex cover isnt that great. The marine codex cover was excellent tho..

Wraith
21-03-2005, 11:43
Rare combination of a warrior with rending claws and venom cannon in the second pic...

rkunisch
21-03-2005, 11:47
I like the new look of the cover. It is something fresh. Although the picture is not too clear. I am still not too convinced of the new colour scheme. Well, I can always use another...

I also don't think that they photoshop the cover of the big box. It looks far more impressive with all the models pictured.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Adept
21-03-2005, 13:15
Wow, that is some crappy cover art.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-03-2005, 13:22
so is the tyrant gonna be metal or plastic? it says loads of new plastics with a tyrant box next to it. the cover is not as good, but the pics are fuzzy to say the least

Wolflord Bloodangel
21-03-2005, 13:23
.... I am still not too convinced of the new colour scheme. Well, I can always use another......
I REALLY like the green/jade scheme on the previews of the Lictor and Tyrant Guard (and will thusly be borrowing it) but their albino main-scheme is fairly awful (tho it seems slightly different model to model... red/black carapace on tyrant, yet purple on the Zoans)...

Wraith
21-03-2005, 13:42
The red, black, and bone carapace of the painted Tyrant we have a detailed picture of isn't the same scheme as the official 'Hive fleet Albino' (pinky-white flesh, purple carapace, black-red claws, talons and hooves) Tyrant which is featured in the other blurry 'diorama' pictures we've seen from the slide show seminar (EDIT: & now the UK sneak peak).

malika
21-03-2005, 13:45
I really dispize that new purple/albino colour, what is up with that? I really loved the Adrian Smith artwork, and he kinda used to give it a beatle like colour, the whole black with a colour lighting up in it...why didnt GW do that? :(

Cthulu
21-03-2005, 15:46
I like the teal and bone armor also.

The new scheme...meh they almost look like Hive Fleet USA, with the white blue and the little bit of red.

gojira1
21-03-2005, 16:32
On the top left corner of the possible box picture is that the new ravener does anybody know? :confused:

plasmadaemon
21-03-2005, 16:40
reminds me of 2nd ed. codexes: colourfull and happy.

Dreachon
21-03-2005, 17:01
I think it's the zoanthrope, coverer looks nice

Frodo34x
21-03-2005, 17:50
I personally prefer the black colour scheme with the Red/White heads.

Flame Boy
21-03-2005, 18:30
I must say the new lictor looks interesting. I guess from everyone's reactions that's been in a sneak peek already though... I'll have to look around.

I also really like the Tyranide battle picture, with the Tyrand bellowing and it's minions scuttling down the rocky slopes... It looks like a planet the 'Nis are in the process of consuming instead of the early stages of Tyrani(/o)forming. :)

I like the new models, but the nice blue sky for the codex cover seems bizarre... normally they love the "sky goes dark with spores/gargoyles/body parts" thing.

I do like the overall direction they are taking with the new N'ids. Perhaps people will stop calling them "bugs" if they start looking like aliens instead of bugs again... :p

Brimstone
22-03-2005, 21:53
so is the tyrant gonna be metal or plastic? it says loads of new plastics with a tyrant box next to it. the cover is not as good, but the pics are fuzzy to say the least

Metal, the some of the pictures have a resin copy there and GW put a arrow and sign up saying resin master.

As for fuzzy pictures, It can't be helped so we have to deal with what we are given. All I think in general is if people judge things based on a few could be better pics then they deserve everything they don't get.

The codex cover looks a little bright for my tastes but that's probably because I have a almost permament mental picture of the tyranid night attack from the story Deliverence in my mind.

Shining_Spear
25-03-2005, 02:45
The army box does have a photoshopped cover, and that is it.

I like the new codex cover from what I can see. Bright, colorful and happy, as plasmademon said.

I am not a fan of the ltd. edition lictor. Part of it is that the pictures are at a bad angle, but it just looks odd. I like the one at Conflict Montreal, though. (It was Montreal, wasn't it?)

Brunificus
25-03-2005, 03:31
I really like the Lictor, it looks really savage. And agree with Wolflord Bloodangel, the colour scheme on him and the Tyrant Guard looks awesome.

Randallw
25-03-2005, 03:48
Strange that the Warriors are either the 3rd edition one (or similar) yet the new hive tyrant goes back to 2nd edition. If I get a hive tyrant I'll have to stick a warriors head on it.

Edit: :( :( :( . I must have offended the Emperor. I've been reduced from a Chaplain to a mere scout.

x-esiv-4c
25-03-2005, 04:08
Honestly, photoshop and nids just doesn't work.

gLOBS
25-03-2005, 04:15
Wow im having a big powwow on whether or not to use the montreal grey-green scheme as well. I just started making a new color scheme like a lil over a year ago and havnt gotten em all done, and now i got this great paint scheme to think over to use. Im not happy that I like it enough to do so much more painting.

JohnnyZed
29-03-2005, 18:28
Is that a Tyrant with duel scything talons?
According to the GW rep I talked to at Conflict Montreal, the beastie ripping apart the rhino on the new cover is the new version of the Carnifex.

It's come a long way from the dumpier previous versions.

Wraith
29-03-2005, 18:44
I'm looking at the codex cover and the carnifex silhouette and to be honest with you they look nothing a like... the pic looks just like a Tyrant though...

Boduddley
30-03-2005, 01:02
:eek:

Not very keen on the new codex cover pic.

Too toyish...

The older codex cover was much better.

JohnnyZed
30-03-2005, 01:48
Apparently the new carnifex kit is going to be very flexible in terms of how you assemble the beast (think: Chaos Defiler kit). The GW rep (and I'm kicking myself for not getting his name) mentioned that there were arms that allowed for anything from the old screamer-killer style double scything claw model to the more recent weapon carrying versions (aka the silhouetted one). Apparently it will also have 6 variant heads included in the kit.

He was also really emphatic about the codex cover being a carnifex... He said that there were no pictures of the actual kit because some Games Day had the first dibs on public showings of the actual model, but that "that's a carnifex on the cover of the codex, to give you an idea", as he had the codex cover artwork in poster size behind his display. So unless it's a GW disinformation campaign, I stand by my statement. :)

BTW, the (somewhat blurry) picture of the Codex cover doesn't do it justice. It's a bit less brooding than the last version, but the contrast is a bit high on the picture shown, making all the colors seem a little lighter and more cartoonish. The actual cover is a bit darker and moodier. Though it did remind me of the cover of the old Epic Tyranid box.

Inquisitor Engel
30-03-2005, 03:55
The older codex cover was much better.
I'll second that. Nice and dark, evil. The sky clouded by spores in the air. Evil.

This new one looks very... Second edition.

Wraith
30-03-2005, 09:28
JohnnyZed - Well, the guy didn't tell you anything we haven't known on the net for a long time. Indeed, we even have pics of every head variant of the 'Fex and have done for weeks (over a month?). The 'Fex kit even comes with different back plates - 'normal', 'spore cyst', 'spine bank', 'thorn back'.

I invite you to find the Carnifex Silhouette picture and compare it to the codex cover - what's your opionion?

I admit however that the codex cover pic I have is slightly blurry but still...

Plaguebeast
31-03-2005, 02:07
I hope the Codex cover is a piece of artwork rather than that crappy photoshop style that GW seems to like for some strange reason. Although the pic is blurry, it pales in comparison to the 3rd ed. cover.

Plaguebeast

JohnnyZed
02-04-2005, 01:27
I'll give you that the silhouette doesn't look heaps like the cover pic; however, having seen the poster sized cover pic in person and close up (I studied it for a few minutes, and I'm kicking myself for not taking a good picture of it), I can tell you that the beastie on the cover didn't loot a lot like the pictures of the hive tyrant that have been splashed all over either. It didn't have the (very visible) nose spike, and the back plates didn't look right (dunno if the tyrant will have options for back plates like the carny does, but it definitely didn't look like stock tyrant back armor plates).

Mreh, it really comes down to waiting for further confirmation one way or another. Though I suppose that this kind of discussion is what forums like this are all about, no? :)

Boduddley
02-04-2005, 13:04
:cool:
I totally agree with!

I hope the Codex cover is a piece of artwork rather than that crappy photoshop style that GW seems to like for some strange reason. Although the pic is blurry, it pales in comparison to the 3rd ed. cover.

There has to be more fear portrayed by the cover!
:D

Black Ambience
06-04-2005, 10:39
http://www.bigjoeduke.com/GamesDay2005Atlanta/DSCN0316.JPG
Is it just me or does the Warrior have a different head?

Egads you are right! The head on that Warrior looks much more like that of the new Tyrant to me... of course it could just be a trick of the now photo-shop obsessed GW art team. :rolleyes:

Wraith
06-04-2005, 10:50
No it looks the same to me... it just has the head crest with the two protruding spines on either side.

plasmadaemon
06-04-2005, 15:27
i got the nid' cover at home and it looks better then the old one when you get used to it.

Dreachon
06-04-2005, 15:30
I think that Tyranid05 might be right here, it does look rather more gauntlike unless they have really distorted the picture

Boduddley
06-04-2005, 23:48
When you get used to it.... not very encouraging!

i got the nid' cover at home and it looks better then the old one when you get used to it.

I hope the contents are not reflected by the cover!

:D