PDA

View Full Version : Empire vs Vampire Counts - 1000pts+2000pts

Jabbercrow
18-11-2012, 11:40
Hello! Me and my mate John had our veryfirst Warhammer battle together since we had both played as kidsnearly 15 years ago. We were both mega excited, having met at CoventGarden's Games Workshop to pick up a tree and some fences to bulk upour existing scenery supply. Ready to go, we headed back to his toplay a 1000pt, followed by 2000pt Empire vs Vampire Counts doublebattle! I had been expecting plenty of Skeletons and Zombies for thecore with Grave Guard and Black Knights housing characters. I figuredthere would be a Terrorgheist in the larger game and a Black Coffin.Aside from the obvious core troops, I was totally mistaken!

Obviously, we made quite a few mistakes, didn't remember a bunch of rules and probably selected played all the troops wrong so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1000pts
Vampire Counts from what I remember:
20 Skeletons
20 Zombies
5 Hex wraiths
2x2 Fell Bats
Corpse Cart
20 Ghouls
Lvl 1 Necromancer
Lvl Vamp Lord

My army
Arch Lector, Ogre Hammer, VanHorstman's Speculum, Helm of the Skaven Slayer, Enchanted Shield,Heavy Armour
Battle Wizard lvl2, Ruby Ring of Ruin(Lore of Fire – Flamestorm, Fireball)
5 Outriders
3 Demigryph Knights
Great Cannon
48 Spearmen, Full Command

After deployment, his Hexwraiths made avanguard move forward as did my Outriders.
I got the first turn and retreated withmy Outriders and moved my Fire Wizard round the back of my spears toget a better look at his Hex wraiths. Great Cannon landed a ball onone Ghoul.
He trundled forward getting off anInvocation to increase his Skeletons and Zombies and another toregain his splatted Ghoul. His Hexwraiths thought about charging myFire Wizard which I realised I had left totally exposed, but wedecided he couldn't quite make it through the gap. One unit of FellBats moved forward onto my right flank, the others moved next to theHexwraiths.
Great Cannon misfired and couldn't firefor a turn. Tried manoeuvring my Outriders out of the way fairlyunsuccessfully. The Wind of Magic were not kind to me again and Ididn't get anything of note off.
More dancing around as the Hex wraithstried to avoid my giant spear unit, and hit my Outriders who were outof range. My Fire Wizard had decided it was foolish to stay exposedso he joined the spears. More Invocations, increasing his zombies andskeletons as he moved forward.
Tried moving my Demigryphs around toface his bats on the right flank. Finally had a decent magic phasekinda. Got off a Fireball at the second level killing his entire unitof Hex wraiths! Phew, I hate ethereals. Sadly it was a miscast, whichwounded my wizard and killed 7 Spearmen. Vaporised his other unit ofbats with my Outriders so they weren't totally useless. Sadly thatwas it for them, I spent the rest of the battle trying to adjusttheir position to shoot again. His skeletons charged my Spearmen,taking them out of range of my outriders. The zombies and corpsecarts moved around the side of the combat to stay out of theOutriders' sights.
His bats tried to charge over the topof my Demigryph Knights at my cannon, but fell short. I replied byblending them into mushy fur on my turn when I charged. I figuredthat by taking them out of the game, I might have at least anothershot with my cannon at his Vampire Lord and I didn't want the batshaving another charge at my cannon even though it left my Demigryphsin range of his Ghouls and Lord. Predictably, they charged myDemigryphs. The combat was a little bizarre as his Lord had noitems/powers and, with a bit of bad luck, managed to do nothing to myknights with all her attacks. I replied in kind and totally failed todo any wounds to any of his Ghouls...rats. I failed my leadershiptest thanks to his ranks and they ran off the field! Meanwhile mySpearmen fought off the skeletons thanks to my Hatred and re-rollablewound rolls. I reformed them to take the charge from the Ghouls; hecharged with them and the Corpse Cart. I challenged his Vampire Lord,which he accepted. We realised after the combat that a Champ countsas a character and could have accepted the challenge, which made myuse of the Speculum a hollow victory as he could easily have causedmore damage to my unit, not needing to refuse the challenge. With themisconstrued rule, I killed his Lord with ease and my unit did enoughdamage to win the combat by 8. His Necromancer on the Corpse Cartdestabilized and his Ghouls were halved in size. While my opponentdid concede that he might still have accepted the challenge had weknown his Ghast could have done so. On balance he figured the Lordwould have fought the unit. I would have won the combat anyway, butthe CR would have been low enough to save his Corpse Cart andNecromancer.

Results:
Draw. It was our first game and we madesome mistakes that could have skewed the result one way or another.

Concluding thoughts:
My opponent really had me on thedefensive from the off. His flying bats were threatening my cannonand his Hex wraiths totally neutralised my Outriders from the offmaking my first few turns a mess of manoeuvring to get out of theirway. Did I mention, I hate ethereals! At such a small points cost, itwas quite difficult to dispel his Invocations, but that might havebeen that I had comparatively poor magic phases. My Great Cannon wastotally underwhelming and I would question its use against VampireCounts. Maybe better in a larger game where there are a few moretargets, but at this size, I suspect a Helblaster would have servedme much better. I think Pistoliers would have also been a betterchoice for their ability to move and fire. Other than that, I washappy with my Spearmen and Arch Lector, but I won't be taking theSpeculum again as it seems too predictable once used once. I alsoquite liked the Ruby Ring of Ruin on a low level caster to try andtease out those dispel dice. That said, I failed the 3+ every turn.

Battle 2 (2000pts)

Vampire Counts from what I remember
Lvl4 Vampire Lord
Lvl2 Necromancer
Wight King BSB
Varghulf
3 Vargheists
3x2 Fell Bats
5 Hex wraiths
40 Ghouls
40 Skeletons
Corpse Cart

My army
Arch Lector, Ogre Hammer, Great Weapon,Heavy Armour, Crown of Command, White Cloak of Ulric, Helm of theSkaven Slayer
Wizard Lord Lvl 4 (Lore of the Heavens– Comet, Thunderbolt, Curse of the Midnight Wind, Wind Blast)
Battle Wizard Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll(Lore of Fire – Fireball, Fulminating Flame Cage)
Captain BSB, Full Plate Armour, GriffinBanner, Great Weapon
Warrior Priest, Heavy Armour, BardedWarhorse, Dawnstone, Hammer of Might, Charmed Shield
20 Handgunners, Champs with HLRs
42 Spearmen, Full Command
5 Inner Circle Knights, Full Command
5 Outriders, Musician
3 Demigryph Knights, Standard, Bannerof Eternal Flame
Great Cannon
Helblaster Volley Gun

Deployment
Thinking I had learned my lessons, Iclumped Handgunners around my cannons hoping that his bats wouldn'tget in close this time. Sadly, once again, I was outmanoeuvred as heput his bats down first to tease out where I was going to go. All myartillery and guns were in the centre owing to the placement ofscenery obscuring line of sight on the flanks. Pay more attention toscenery Tom! I never thought deployment of scenery and troops couldhave such an impact! Anyway, I was grouped in the centre at the backwhen he started to build up his right flank with his hordes andCorpse Cart. I responded with my Knights and Spearmen. His placed hisVargheists and Varghulf on the left to fly round at my gun line. Iplaced my Outriders on my left and he put his Hexwraiths nearopposite! NOOOOOO. Once again, I had been trumped!

Turn 1
John got the first turn and trundledforward with everything. Some of his bats occupied the tower in themiddle. His Vargheists flew an incredible distance on his left flank!Crikey those things are nimble! And his Hexwraiths attempted a chargeon my Outriders following his Vanguard move forward (I neglected touse my move – stay away!). Luckily they failed, but they wouldn'tagain and I couldn't see them with my Fire Wizard. I also realised Ihad only one magic weapon...way out on the other flank...bigoversight! He raised a zombie unit in the centre and miscast aVanhels, blowing up a good number of Ghouls and wounding his BSB andLord! This game was going to go my way, I was sure!

On my turn, I tried to move around abit, but too many bodies in the corner prevented my cavalry doinganything much. My Winds of Magic was a low one. I failed to casteComet of Casandora at the centre of his army (would have been socool) despite throwing 4 dice with level 4 Celestial Wizard – thenumber of failed roles at this point was astronomical – I shouldhave been able to predict that with a Celestial Wizard right! I madea mental note to always roll an extra dice beyond the extra dice Ihad already mental noted to roll as Lady Averages is not my friend!With my Fire Wizard with no line of sight to the Hexwraiths, Iresigned myself to them charging me unopposed next turn, renderingeither my Knights or Outriders totally useless – sigh. With adisastrous magic phase out of the way, I figured I would have moreluck with my shooting! 20 Handgunners, Helblaster and Cannon – whatcould go wrong? The angle of the Vargheists begged me to shoot acannon ball at them and clip two. Miraculously, the shot was good!Cannons are awesome! Two, 2+s to do D6 wounds – mental! Snakeeyes...are you serious? Yes, I rolled snake eyes and the ball turnedinto flowers, which the Vargheists didn't even pause to smell: Great.Cannons. Suck. No, that's unfair; I suck! OK, time to fire somehandgunners at the Zombies as the Fell Bats were either in too muchcover or I couldn't see them. Think I managed to kill 1 Zombie. What?But it didn't stop there as I rolled 22 hits on my Helblaster! Tokill 2 Zombies. AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH, but pretty funny! Having killed 3Zombies conjured by magic (leaving 5), I called it a day.

Turn 2
The Hexwraiths charged the Outriderswho decided that they would at least Stand and Shoot, if only foreffect! The Hordes and Cart trundled forward. His Vargheists andVarghulf moved swiftly round the flank, out of line of sight of mygunners, but not my Cannon. His Fell Bats flew behind my line. Johnhad rolled a double 5 last turn, this turn it was a double 6. I wasfailing all my channels consistently despite having 4 magic users.Lots of dead raising, wound reduction (man, Lore of Vampires isnuts!), etc. I didn't do much, but did use my Dispel Scroll onsomething...We resolved the Hexwraiths' combat; miraculously theyonly killed one Outrider and I passed my break test.

On my turn, I charged his Hexwraiths inthe flank hoping to kill a few with CR – last chance! I also made areally hasty charge on his Skeletons. I should mention his Ghouls hadmoved directly behind the Skeletons, rendering them a littleunusable. One of the few tactical errors I felt John made. My FireWizard had left the Handgunners at this point to blow up the bats. MyCelestial Wizard totally failed again, but at least my Fire Wizardkilled a unit of bats – phew!
I managed a short range Great Cannonshot at his Vargheists, hitting one and scoring 6 wounds.

Question:
If a Vargheist unit has one wound on itand 1 Vargheist gets hit with a multiple wound attack as above, wouldthe maximum wounds I could cause be 2, or would it be 3, i.e. onewhole model?

We decided it was one whole model andremoved one of the gits. My Handgunners were a little useless again,killing only a couple of the rapidly growing Zombie unit. In combat,the Hexwraiths killed another Outrider and a Knight, but I got one onCR...not enough! I had made the most idiotic decision in the worldputting my Lvl 4 in my Spearmen...I didn't want him on his own andhadn't counted on my stupid charge. John took the opportunity todirect 8 attacks on him with his four ranks – balls. But wait – 8attacks hitting on 4s, wounding on 5s; I should take a wound maybetwo if he is lucky, right? No. Lady Averages hates me! 4 wounds weredealt to him, punishing my rash decision and eliminating me from themagic phase pretty much! The combat went super bad as well. Hatreddidn't help my appalling hit rolls, neither did re-rollable wounds. Acombination of his saving throws with light armour and shields saveda phenomenal number of them. My BSB and Arch Lector managed to whiffmost of their attacks, but his 40 spear attacks decimated me –sigh. Don't charge with Spearmen Tom! I had thought I was beingclever bringing the Griffin Banner to the table as I figured it wouldruin him on CR. The margin was slim though and I only peeled a few ofhis Skeletons off.

Turn 3
Pretty mega turn. He charged myHelblaster with some bats and one unit of Handgunners with bats,Vargheists and his Varghulf. I killed a bat with Stand and Shoot. Inhis magic phases, he raised the dead and then got off a Curse of Ageson my unfortunate Spearmen, killing several. In combat, theHexwraiths were renewed and killed another Outrider, but I won combatwith my musician and he removed the raised Hexwraith. In the Skeletonwith Spearmen combat, I was abandoned by Lady Averages yet again; myre-rollable wounds came to naught and his Skeletons actually killedmore Spearmen than I killed Skeletons. It was embarrassing, but veryamusing! I passed my break test thanks to my Crown of Command and wemoved onto my turn. Happily my Helblaster crew suffered no wounds anddished one out, killing a bat on CR! Yay! “We have cannon work toget to, **** off bats :P”
His bats, Varghulf and Vargheist hadall overrun, but not into another combat. His Vargheists appearedright in front of my second Handgunner unit. The Varghulf was chargedby Demigryphs with Warrior Priest on horse. Magic was another washoutdespite my huge role! I threw 4 dice with my level 2 at dispellingCurse of Ages and failed! NNNOOOOO. After it had of course slainanother load of Spearmen :( Broken concentration flustered me so muchI ended the phase, completely forgetting about my Priests! Idiot. Inshooting, I wasted the remaining Vargheists who really are glasshammers. My Canon then blew up. The funny thing is, whenever I readbattle reports, cannons always blow up/misfire an inordinate numberof times, but I figure that is probably just sod's law and wouldn'thappen to me. On this day, my Cannon had splatted one Ghoul (raisedstraight after), misfired to stop it from firing for 2 turns, beenshredded by Ghouls, failed to wound twice and blown up. It had killeda single Vargheist in two battles. Wow.
In combat, my Demigryphs tore throughhis Varghulf thanks to my flaming attacks courtesy of my banner. TheHexwraith combat continued as before; my ranks thinning, but metaking off a single wraith that would no doubt be raised next turn.The Spearmen combat was another washout; without buffs, my luckwasn't any better and I was reduced to my front rank, rendering myGriffin Banner useless. His Skeletons outnumbered me and his VampireLord could see my flank.

Sadly, at this point I had to concedeas we had been playing up until 6 o'clock when I had to leave. It wasan easy concession to make, John had pretty much won anyway; I onlyhad the Helblaster (in combat), the Demigryphs were way out on theright, 4 Knights who couldn't hurt his Hexwraiths and my big unitwere about to be spanked. John had clearly won and I thanked him fora great game!

Thoughts:
Warrior Priests are mint. As areDemigryphs. Flaming attacks are useful. I need to do something aboutmy Winds of Magic luck, so next time, I will be taking more Priestsand low level wizards just so I can hopefully tease out dispel diceby chucking Fireballs at his Hexwraiths before using my Level 4 (keptback) to cause the serious damage! The Hurricanum is on my to-buylist for that extra dice and a Channelling Staff for the Lvl 4 tohelp with dispel attempts.
I was seriously disappointed by myartillery and shooting, but figure that was mostly down to bad luckand naff decisions. I need to deploy better. A mortar also seems likea good choice given the potential for mass kills. Cannons seem greatfor bigger battles where they have a good range of monster targets,but rank and file kills just don't go anywhere.
Handgunners and Outriders did not workout for me, which is a shame as I like the fluff around the guns. Iguess Outriders would have worked better if I hadn't tried to movethem; just plonked em in the centre and fired their many shots withtheir excellent ballistic skill. Handgunners are quite expensive andI didn't use their Rifles at all given some bad choices with sceneryplacement.
Big units are the way forward! Lots ofbasic characters with low cost magic weapons also seem like a goodidea.
Oh, and full command – excellent. Asare ranks! I will field a very different list next time and hope itworks better!

While I am sure John would have his owntake on things as I don't tend to remember where he had bad luck,only where I did, I do think he played a great game, forcing me tomake decisions I didn't to; piling on the pressure with his fastflyers (not expected) and following up with hordes that kept oncoming. His only bad decision was his placement of the Ghouls.

Questions:
How do people guard against supermanoeuvrable bats flying over units/around them to get at their warmachines? Would surrounding them with Huntsmen in skirmish preventthis by taking up the space a bat could take while not obscuring lineof sight for the artillery?

Cheers for reading if you did!

Lord Solar Plexus
19-11-2012, 09:29
Cheers for posting, Jabbercrow! Sounds like you had a blast. We still sometimes make mistakes even after all those years, so that eventually evens out. A few observations:

His Hexwraiths thought about charging myFire Wizard which I realised I had left totally exposed, but wedecided he couldn't quite make it through the gap.

And his Hexwraiths attempted a chargeon my Outriders following his Vanguard move forward (I neglected touse my move – stay away!). Luckily they failed, but they wouldn'tagain

I understand that vanguarded units are not allowed to charge turn 1. In any case, if he's close enough not to fail a charge, then you are probably close enough to move up and get out of his charge arc - and if he reforms, you repeat the game forever. Not sure what those Wraiths cost but if both units are out of the game, it should probably be a wash.

Yes, the VHS is pretty useless, and yes, Pistoliers are much more flexible, although they obviously have less punch than Outriders. Leaving the VHS on the shelf also has implications on the rest of its bearer's gear - you don't need a weapon, for example.

Some of his bats occupied the tower in themiddle.

Can they? I thought only infantry and MI could occupy buildings?

20 Handgunners, Helblaster and Cannon – whatcould go wrong?

Hah! What shooting?

I've found cannon to be rather worthless. I think I'm now at 80 games without them killing anything, so a Vargheist ever yother game - man, can I get yours? I rarely don't take them anymore, and if I do, I do not bother guarding them, which is too difficult to be worth the effort anyways. A Helblaster absolutely needs an Engineer, which makes it rather expensive. Handgunners...meh.

Happily my Helblaster crew suffered no wounds anddished one out, killing a bat on CR! Yay!

Not yet - he charged, so it was a draw. ;)

I need to do something aboutmy Winds of Magic luck, so next time, I will be taking more Priestsand low level wizards just so I can hopefully tease out dispel dice

Well, a Channeling Staff and a Powerstone are relatively cheap ways to ensure enough dice in one critical phase. Channeling as such is just a bonus, not a strategy. The former does not directly help with dispelling though...?

A mortar also seems likea good choice given the potential for mass kills.

I don't understand. Why would an incredibly low potential for kills sound like a good choice?

Handgunners and Outriders did not workout for me, which is a shame as I like the fluff around the guns. Iguess Outriders would have worked better if I hadn't tried to movethem; just plonked em in the centre and fired their many shots withtheir excellent ballistic skill. Handgunners are quite expensive andI didn't use their Rifles at all given some bad choices with sceneryplacement.

While Outriders do have a slightly better ballistic skill, remember that they do not hit any better because of multi-shots. They are usually a wee bit better than Handgunners (which isn't hard considering the latter are one of the worst units) but move or shoot light CAV has always been an oddity.

Jabbercrow
19-11-2012, 10:04
Hey Lord Solar Plexus! Thanks for taking the time to reply! We had an amazing time; so much fun and way better than when I was younger and just wanted to win with cheese! I prefer having the fluff nowadays, but that will be an uphill struggle given I want to use lots of guns and they are not paying off (thought it woudl be dead interesting to try just Handgunners, Artillery, Pistoliers, Outriders and Master Engineers with Long Rifles to see if sniping might work - basic idea is a unit of 20 laid out with a load of Engineers with guns, when the enemy gets in charge range, reform for ranks...really doesn't sound like it would work, but I love the idea of a gunline and a load of snipers in the hope that enough of them will equal lots of dead characters...wishful I think)!

Yeah, I read afterwards that Vanguarded units can't make a charge if you get the first turn, so I should have moved up, but I was right on the table edge, would have lost my ability to shoot with the Outriders...given all they did was die. Mind you, he came in at an angle so I wonder whether it would have worked...still, a good idea and something I need to work on to keep out of range of nasties!

I will re-read what it says about flyers occupying a tower, but I remember looking at the time and not reading anything that said they couldn't, but perhaps I missed something. Seems appropriate though - bats in the belfry and all!

Yeah - the reason I got into the Empire was because I loved the guns - very steam age - and they do not seem worthwhile! I did wonder whether I played it right on the Vargheists though: how do you work out total number of wounds on an already wounded unit with multiple wounds? For instance, if you have 3 Monstrous Infantry who have sustained 2 random wounds and one of their number gets hit by a cannon, do you kill just the one with 1 remaining wound left or can you select to target one of the unwounded ones to get a maximum of 3 wounds?

Fair cop on the bats charging my Helblaster - we totally missed that!

Good advice on the wizard items - I won't be going without next time!

Re: Mortar - I figure that a 1 in 3 chance of a hit, plus a semi decent chance of getting something with a large template would get me a few kills...Sure it is crap strength, but given the low hit rate of my apparently super cannon, it might be worthwhile! I will test it and let you know how it goes.

Lord Solar Plexus
19-11-2012, 10:42
Well, it's supposed to be all about fun, so as long as that works, more power to you!

While I think that Handgunners do very little for the price and consider them a rather expensive support unit, the sniper concept, or part of it can still be valid to some extent. A unit of 10 gunners does help to deal with chaff, so something like 2*10 stand-alone units with snipers, an Engineer and a STank with the upgrade don't break a budget at 2k, are helpful in other regards and very Nulnish. Couple them with a Witchhunter and a Death wizard and enemy characters need to be on their toes.

As to outriders, I like to add a champion with pistol + repeater pistol, just in case. It's not cheap, I'm not expecting any miracles from them but it adds quite some flexibility. So nice dancing around small units of Swordmasters and picking them off one by one while retaining the option to lay down a long-range fusillade.

I did wonder whether I played it right on the Vargheists though: how do you work out total number of wounds on an already wounded unit with multiple wounds? For instance, if you have 3 Monstrous Infantry who have sustained 2 random wounds and one of their number gets hit by a cannon, do you kill just the one with 1 remaining wound left or can you select to target one of the unwounded ones to get a maximum of 3 wounds?

First of all, there are no "wounded units" unless the unit only consists of a single model like a Varghulf, in which case model = unit. In all other cases, only models are ever wounded. When a unit of multi-wounders is hit, you do have to remove whole models.

A cannon is a particular type of template, a very thin and narrow one, that will hit particular models. In the case of multi-wounders, you hit and wound the first. If he does not die, you stop, if he dies, you proceed to the second under the template (if there even is a second model) and repeat the process. Excess wounds do not carry over. You can select to target any model within LoS and range. Remember that even though a particular model is your intended target, you will often target a spot on the ground because of the bounce, and you need to be able to see this spot, which can limit your available lines of fire.

Re: Mortar - I figure that a 1 in 3 chance of a hit, plus a semi decent chance of getting something with a large template would get me a few kills...Sure it is crap strength, but given the low hit rate of my apparently super cannon, it might be worthwhile! I will test it and let you know how it goes.

I only know that when the current book was released, you could hear a distinct plonking sound from Empire players all over the world collectively dropping their mortars. If you want to use it, I suggest a Shadow wizard. Apart from other useful applications, dropping an opponent's T goes a long way. I think Fire has a +1 to wound spell (or was that Metal's Blades of Aiban?). Since Fire is pretty good at dealing with both Regeneration and Ethereals, that could be your lore. +1 to hit is pretty nifty for a gunline, too. Just be prepared to auto-lose once someone unfolds the Stormbanner, runs Skink or Archer screens or stuff like Mournfangs... ;)

Jabbercrow
19-11-2012, 11:27
I like your idea of the Nulnish contingent - the Steam Tank in particular just seems brilliant and will keep the theme without being too fluffy to actually do anything! Excellent idea with the Outrider champ fielding quick to fire, move and shoot weapons. I will need a reliable anti-ethereal counter to support them so perhaps a Pegasus Captain with Fencer's Blades/something dirt cheap and a potion to increase attacks...

Thanks for your answer on the cannon; I think I understand, but one thing is still unclear to me. Is it supposed to be made clear which multi-wound model in a unit has the existing wound before working out which one is hit? I think we were operatin under the principle that, in this case, the Vargheists had sustained 1 wound from shooting as a unit, rather than a specific model and the canon template could only hit 1 single model due to the angle. So the question was whether the unit carries the wound/each specific model? For instance, could you have a situation where 3 cannons fire and hit this unit; each do 2 wounds to each Vargheist, so all 3 have 1 wound left, none are removed? From your response, I think it is each model is sort of separate and therefore in my battle, the wounded Vargheist was not hit, but a fresh one was meaning the 3 wounds I dealt it, killed it, leaving 1 fresh and 1 Vargheist with 2 wounds left.

Yeah - I heard that Mortars used to be tonnes better, but I figure they would do alright against the army I faced, which did not have much armour and had a lot of tarpit units - my thinking being the sheer number of hits would yield enough kills. Were I facing an army I didn't know about, I wouldn't take it! Miasma is a great idea for increasing the damage though - might try Shadow Lore instead of Heavens next time (although I didn't really get a chance to see how good Heavens was given my insane judgment). I think the Metal one gives +1 to hit and Fire, +1 to wound - another good idea! Luckily, I am only playing VCs at the moment so I am pretty confident I can prepare myself a bit better. Mind you, I sometimes think that not knowing what might happen makes you concentrate on creating a solid army rather than predicting what you might face, engineering the perfect counter and then realising it isn't applicable/it goes wrong!

Lord Solar Plexus
19-11-2012, 13:27
Another nice thing about the STank's Hochland is that you can move and fire.

I'm pretty certain that it must be made clear which model has suffered a wound - simply for a case like the one you describe. Magic effects also come to mind. You could Spirit Leech a model; it would be nice to know beforehand which has how many wounds. No "floating wounds".

There is a difference between multiple wounds and wounding multiple times. The former only ever applies to one model at a time, so three cannon could indeed wound three Vargheists individually (not that this would serve a particular purpose). The latter is totalled up and removes whole models whenever possible.

I didn't really do any appreciable damage with the old mortar or two either to be honest. I hasten to add that this is probably just me; others have had better results. Just give it a try! I mean, what's the worst thing that could happen? You could lose a game, heyho. :)

Yes, Blades of Alban gives +1 to hit and magical attacks, Sword of Rhuin is +1 to wound/flaming. I personally like Fire better than Metal but to each his own!

Oh, and don't forget the odd Soulfire when fighting Ethereals. I gather they usually come on small units, so even killing one or two could be enough.

Jabbercrow
19-11-2012, 15:13
Great stuff - thanks for the rule clarrification guru ;-) that has really helped as it wasn't very clear to me reading the rules again and again!

I will let you know how I get on with the Mortar...my luck will have to change at some point!

Both those Fire and Metal spells that gift magical attacks are brilliant, sadly I had decided not to have a Gold Wizard beforehand as I wanted to try Heavens; probably a good thing as the direct damage spells would have done nothing against John's largely unarmoured army! If I know he is going for Grave Guard and Black Knights, I will certainly try it! As for Fire, yeah, didn't get massively lucky on my rolls there getting Burning Head and Flamestorm first game and Flamestorm and Fulminating Cage second game! I don't like Flamestorm! Real shame though as Fire and Metal would be a perfect fir for my indutrial Empire :(

Yeah - Soulfire would have been mint. I thought in retrospect that I should have left my Spearmen with my Arch Lector to charge the Hexwraiths the following turn - no magic weapon, but that Soulfire would have been perfect...that said, I failed all but a Fireball and a couple of prayers all day...that luck can't last right? ;-)