PDA

View Full Version : Those who are about to rock we salute you! A heresy era Emperor's Children blog

RTB01
18-11-2012, 16:24
Good afternoon everyone!

I've been looking to complete/ do a CSM force since 2nd ed 40k came out. In the beginnning I had a small CSM force and as time has passed this project has been 12 years in the making. With the new FW heresy stuff and the way plastics have gone I'm finally able (I think!) to give my noise marine based force a good start.

The force is heresy era as I very much enjoyed reading Fulgrim and Angel Exterminatus. In terms of list that's still under construction but I wanted to share my first member of the Kakophoni that is very clearly early WIP but comments would be appreciated. I am going for rock and roll noise marines with eye melting 157813colour scheme and guitars and other instruments courtesy of the Maraviglia.

Apologies for the pic quality (it's from my phone) but it's a start. The mix is from new raptors, fantasy hellstriders, possessed and old NM bits and plasticard,

many thanks!

RTB01
29-12-2012, 20:36
A minor update...

I've started to do some painting and here is the main body of a tester marine. What do people think? Do the colours sufficiently clash or more needed? Guitars are ready too so I intend to put some together tomorrow. I've assembled my Cataphractii too and awaiting a paint delivery to get started on those too!

Merry Christmas folks and hope you've had a good time!

xedric
29-12-2012, 21:01
happy colors!

\m/

RTB01
30-12-2012, 11:45
Thank you!

Time for some more happy colours!

Due to moving house over Christmas, time has been short so this is an update as to where I am in general with the Blog at the moment.
What I've got here is a variety of PiP jobs/ WiP.

Basic marines - may carry on with them as they are or start again. With the release of betrayal it seems that the EC have got a more purple colour armour and less pink. I personally prefer the pinky purple as opposed to the 'purple-purple'!

There are another 3 WiP Noise Marines too including the unit champion armed with Doom Siren/ Sonic Blaster. Here also is a pic of the WiP Sonic weapons and I'm unsure what to do with these because I don't know if using them 'as-is' would just look lame?

Autocannon havocs are also in progress but I may change their scheme.

Cataphractii are WiP as I'm waiting for combi-plasmas to arrive from across the pond and also replacement power axes from FW as 3/5 were miscast in the pack I received.

Plasma fun in the form of my Hellbrute and Forgefiend. Also PiP and WiP respectively!

As it stands this is where I am. I was wondering with my regular marines whether to paint them properly as pre-heresy EC and then airbrush a variety of colours to show them in the midst of the heresy and the descent.

ANY comments as always are very welcome and encouraged - I'm a terrible painter and any advice or help is appreciated! All the best folks!

Beppo1234
30-12-2012, 12:17
I feel like it's too many colours. I think if you stick with the pink, purple and bright blue (like a well highlighted enchanted blue) the effect will be more pleasing.

RTB01
30-12-2012, 12:50
Cheers Beppo, do you mean on the noise marines or across the whole force?
Just had a look at your DA project - beautifully painted - I especially like your land raider crusader. How did you get such smooth paint and highlights on the edge of your armour?

Beppo1234
30-12-2012, 22:30
on the noise marine.

the straight lines took some practice. For me, I grip the whole mini in my hand, not just the base, you get a better, less shaky grip that way. Second, water down the paint a lot, and delicately apply the paint (you shouldn't physically feel contact between the brush and the model, and follow your eyes). And third, hold the model very close to your face. My face is usually no more than 6-10" away from the model when painting.

RTB01
30-12-2012, 22:50
Thank you for the advice. It's sad really as the noise marine update from today took around 3 hours with a fine detail brush because the armour is so intricate and my eyesight isn't what it used to be! I'll have a go with seriously thinner paint, thank you again!

Beppo1234
31-12-2012, 06:45
Thank you for the advice. It's sad really as the noise marine update from today took around 3 hours with a fine detail brush because the armour is so intricate and my eyesight isn't what it used to be! I'll have a go with seriously thinner paint, thank you again!

I feel you, the raptor models take a lot more concentration to paint,,, I just finished a squad in my black legion plog.

RTB01
01-01-2013, 21:20
Beppo your raptors are incredibly painted! I'll try thinning paints if I get chance in next few days.

today is a small update- Noise Marine construction in progress. Need to be finished clearly, but I think it's worth an update!

xedric
01-01-2013, 21:50
Im liking the guitars and the poses of the rockmarines. Are you planning to add more details to the guitarrs?

Brother Garrod
01-01-2013, 23:34
if its guitars that you're after , you might want to give studio 38 a look

http://www.figurines-studio38.com/BOUTIQUE-EN-LIGNE.html

RTB01
02-01-2013, 11:47
I will be adding detail to the guitars - strings, frets and 'bits on the end' too in the next few days.

Garrod I wish I'd seen them before! I did have a look before I started but couldn't find anything. If I decide on more noise marines I'll be paying them a visit! Thank you for the link! They do look very funky and pretty much what I am trying to achieve

El Aartos
02-01-2013, 11:51
Nice Emperor's children man! They look very bright, is it just wash on white? I'm curious where all the guitars will go, in my opinion that would be the best EC army if they all had guitars. I hope to see some finished models soon :) Very nice work.

RTB01
02-01-2013, 15:46
Cheers El Aartos! Your EC are very cool too - nice to see finished minis - me and marines don't always achieve this. Having just moved house and decorating around the corner finishing models may be unlikely combined with work but I will endeavour to get them done soon but at around 2 hours for a single marine it may take a while!

It is paint over white undercoat. I used:
Warpstone green - scorpion green
Scab red - blood red
liche purple - warlock purple
Averland blue - ice blue - although I may give Hawk turqoise a run out too for this.

In terms of army and list I'm going to try for something set around the end of the Istvaan V massacre and angel exterminatus so the list would look something like:

HQ - Slaaneshy captain with sonic cannon (burning brand of skalathrax)

Troops - 10 Noise Marines with Icon, 9 sonic blasters + blastmaster
Troops - 2x 10 Cultists - will be modelled with flagellants and other bits

Elites - Cataphract termies - using Mark of Tzeentch to represent the armour save

FA - 5 Terata which will use the Spawn rules and a mix of crypt horror and spawn parts

HS - Forgefiend - simply because I like the kit and model

HS - Maulerfiend - using a converted blood slaughterer

HS - Havocs with autocannons

that's a rough 1500 point list. A little light on noise marines perhaps but it gives a nice firebase to start. I'm also trying to sort out a ride for my termies too in the form of a spartan but I need to do some serious selling to be able to do that!

On that basis currently working towards a 10 man guitar group but I will use the single blastmaster in the squad as it's the one sonic weapon GW have done that I like as is!

Also wondering for my non Noise marines should i just go with purple and gold armour or do them purple and gold and then airbrush an eclectic mix of colours on top to represent them in the midst of 'falling to the dark (very, very light?) side'?

Brother Garrod
02-01-2013, 18:19
yeah , this company only just started making them before christmas , i picked a set up , and can confirm that they're very good

RTB01
06-01-2013, 19:33
Do you have any pics of them Garrod? Would be interested to see them against marine body for scale.

Here is a small update - modelled some green stuff onto the guitars. Next stage is to undercoat and start painting. This week I should have something arriving from FW with a few lascannons which I can't wait to assemble! Also hoping to get hold of bits for making cultists and spawn.

Work starts again tomorrow so updates may be a little slower but I shall plod onwards to "perfection"! Many thanks again for the support so far - when you game so infrequently it's nice to have the support for the painting side - modelling is so much more fun!

Beppo1234
07-01-2013, 07:25
the guitars are looking awesome.

Brother Garrod, thanks for that link, I'll probably pick up a set of those guitars. I wish they had some sort of marching drums too. Wait,,, epiphany: a gas drum out of one of the terrain kits, and making a Jamaican noise marine!

RTB01
14-01-2013, 20:47
Cheers Beppo! - Jamaican noise marine would be very funky!

Small update - although literal blood and cursing went into the update...

This is SPAAAAAARTAAAAAANNN!...

Having sold a load of bits on Ebay I've been able to get hold of a Spartan. Loving the model but a bugger to put together. I'm leaving the weapons and roof off until I have painted it. I also got hold of some Emperor's children etched brass from forgeworld as an apology for the replacement power axes taking so long to turn up so I'll use these on the spartan, cataphractii and my marines too. Cataphractii now all have weapons too which is nice! Just wondering do I get them painted then put brass on or put it on and paint the brass?

Next on the modelling table will be spawn and cultists once the kits arrive... when I get time I'll get some more painting done, work is super busy at the minute so it'll be as and when! Many thanks for comments!

RTB01
27-01-2013, 13:33
Afternoon all!

Just some modelling updates as work has been mental over the past couple of weeks. Hoping to get some painting done over the next couple of weeks but we'll see!

I've put together my Terata although I may well modify them a little more before painting - surgical stitches and suchlike perhaps?

Also appearing are my cultists and cultist champion complete with his own stocks, unsure where to go with paint job on these.

Termies now have weapons and belonging to the 3rd legion along with my spartan.

Finally some early WiP bikers. I really don't like the bike models gw do but I do like the seekers so here we go!

Thanks for any comments.16269616270416270316270216270116270016269 9162698162697162705

thrawn
27-01-2013, 13:49
love the conversions! i really like the noise marines!

do you like using the forgeworld etched brassing?

RTB01
27-01-2013, 14:00
Thank you! - Here's hoping your namesake appears in Star Wars 7!
I look forward to getting it all painted as near enough everything is being converted/kit bashed - a refreshing change from my necrons and I'm finally able to build the force I've been after for around 15 years! Hopefully it may get to go to some events this year too but we'll see on that one.

I have a lot of love for the etched brass. Very easy to use and cheaper than buying shoulder pads or land raider doors. I was lucky really as I ordered my cataphractii before Christmas and had some miscast power axes and FW took ages sending replacements so they sent me some brass by way of apology -brilliant customer service as always! I bent it by shaping it around a paint brush and it worked fine. Had the termy versions 'stood' rather than curved because I thought it looked better.

thrawn
28-01-2013, 19:28
yeah , this company only just started making them before christmas , i picked a set up , and can confirm that they're very good

thanks for that, i'm going to check those out!

thrawn
28-01-2013, 19:30
[QUOTE=RTB01;6609675]Thank you! - Here's hoping your namesake appears in Star Wars 7! QUOTE]

ya i hope so too, but i heard they're going another direction :(

RTB01
13-03-2013, 22:36
Good evening all,

some updates should be coming in the next few days, been a mental few months with work, job apps and decorating the new house.

I've got a tactical support squad, lascannon squad, emperor's children contemptor and cataphractii well PiP at the moment so will get a bit further and then get some pics up!

RTB01
26-03-2013, 19:37
Good evening all,

I've managed to get some armour painted. My Support squad, heavy support squad, contemptor and termies have had their armour painted and working on the gold. Work and life has been manic so the updates are slight, but I'll get there!

All comments are very welcome,

many thanks!
Nick

RTB01
26-03-2013, 19:38

other pics!

Idomeneus
27-03-2013, 00:10
Loving this log, noise marines armed with bolt pistol and power chords :D

RTB01
31-07-2013, 19:39
17544017544817544717544617544517544417544317544217 5441175449

Thank you Idomeneus! I have always loved Noise Marines since the Mark Gibbon's artwork in the 2nd ed codex and I've nearly got some noise marines I'm happy with nearly 16 years later!

It's been a mad few months and other distractions such as Necrons have cropped up, and exam marking!. However, it was my 30th Birthday on the 27th and my wife and dad got me awesome gifts - the Phoenician and some palatine blades!!!

I started putting them together and painting yesterday (thank god for Summer holidays!). Apart from Fulgrim missing his pistol and knives and the blades need basing I'm about there. I'm not really a painter at heart and when I started this yesterday the level of detail on Fulgrim's armour scared the crap out of me! I'm primarily a gamer and fluff muncher and I'm really, really happy with how these have turned out. Apologies for the pic order - still something I've not quite grasped...

All comments are welcome - positive or critical!

All the best,
Nick

RTB01
01-01-2014, 16:50
Having started a new job, Christmas has been time to do some painting...

Scream for me Istvaan V, scream for me Istavaan Fiiiiiivee! It's, the kakophoni!

These are the first squad that I have managed to finish painting including basing. The bases have been "Agrellan Earthed" but not terribly clear on pics.184387184388184389184390184391184392184393 I've also got my tartaros termies about done - just waiting for their bases to dry then pics will be up.

All and ANY C+C is always welcomed!

RTB01
01-01-2014, 17:04
Tartaros have arrived albeit without bases quite finished.

Next part of the project is going to be MK IV recon marines as sniper vets with skin cloaks along with my Sicaran. I'll green stuff sutures on the recon m184394184395184396184397184398arine cloaks so that they are "stitched" and this will nicely link in with the kakophoni and general downfall of the legion.

RTB01
22-08-2015, 20:18
Threadomancy is back!

Combination of life and baby has led to hobby neglect. I'm back at it and for my birthday this year have got eidolon. Fab mini, pain to paint but hopefully some progression can be seen in my painting. Although it may take time (and encouragement please!) I'd like to get all 5000 points of my heresy stuff at the standard of eidolon.

Next in line is the bottom chunk of eidolon's base followed by my vindi laser destroyer, kakophoni and palatine blades. I'm hoping to get motoring before the heresy plastics drop whereby I can add some tac squads. My list currently is pride of the legion so looking to add plastic tac marines will enable a variety of forces and for me to use this force in 40k for those that don't like playing heresy/fw.

Thanks in advance for support and comments!218918218919

RTB01
22-08-2015, 20:22

Other pics - phone not playing ball!

andyg2006
22-08-2015, 21:05
these look really good. Fulgrim should have been holding a guitar by the neck + with a big axe-blade on the bottom edge of it though (like Gene Simmons' Punisher bass)...I think forge world really missed a win-situation there :)

RTB01
23-08-2015, 19:53
Thanks Andy :)

It'd be nice if fw did an upgrade pack for fulgrim like that!

andyg2006
24-08-2015, 07:50
plasticard is your friend, RTB01 :)

totgeboren
24-08-2015, 08:58
I was hoping you would continue with the 'lots-of-colours' theme, but it's pretty difficult to get right. What I tried (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?191618-My-Traitor-Guards&p=7160670&viewfull=1#post7160670) was having a 'core' colour that was not pastel to sort of tie everything together, and then just go crazy! :)

Of course, your purple and pink scheme you are using now works great too, but if you want a squad that is more '2ed' (perhaps they have slided a bit further down the path of Slaanesh than the rest?) maybe the approach I used could be of some inspiration/help if you want to pick up your original thought again?

RTB01
24-08-2015, 15:18
Love your noise marines totgeboren! That's essentially what I was after. I may have a go with my kakophoni to do something more colourful. Question is, am I brave enough?! I like the uniformity but having read fulgrim and Angel exterminatus uniformity for the kakophoni for me doesn't work.

I may have a play and see how it goes. I always imagine them as having almost neon camo patterns all over and being a complete riot of colours. Tote yours are certainly an inspiration - how did you get so many guitar marines?!

As my army is now purely heresy and the 40k element sacked I'll have a look back at the novels and see. I've got the following to get painted...

Praetor
fabius bile
5 cataphractii
5 tartaros
5 Phoenix terminators
10 vet snipers
8 man tac support squad
10 man lascannon squad
10 man palatine blades + jump packs
10 man kakophoni squad
contemptor
sicaran
scorpius
vindi laser destroyer
anvillus drop pod
lightning
Spartan
glaive

Most part painted but needs development and I need to finish what I start!

Thanks again for comments, thoughts and inspiration.

RTB01
24-08-2015, 15:19
plasticard is your friend, RTB01 :)

Very good point! That said I couldn't desecrate my fulgrim as he is. I'd need a second for that...

andyg2006
24-08-2015, 21:15
cut the sword off and magnetise it + the guitar, then you get 2 for the price of 1? How tall is Fulgrim and how wide is his hand? (I feel a project coming on)

DarkMark
26-08-2015, 17:55
Very good point! That said I couldn't desecrate my fulgrim as he is. I'd need a second for that...

You could pick up this fella (http://kabuki-models.com/knights-of-legend/47-phoenix-knight.html) for about 20 quid inc. postage. :D

totgeboren
26-08-2015, 22:20
Love your noise marines totgeboren! That's essentially what I was after. I may have a go with my kakophoni to do something more colourful. Question is, am I brave enough?! I like the uniformity but having read fulgrim and Angel exterminatus uniformity for the kakophoni for me doesn't work.

I may have a play and see how it goes. I always imagine them as having almost neon camo patterns all over and being a complete riot of colours. Tote yours are certainly an inspiration - how did you get so many guitar marines?!

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the kakophoni. :)

Hehe, my Noise Marines were a total fluke. Bought a bag of random GW stuff from a colleague a few years ago. Think I paid like 20 bucks, and got amongst other things 6 metal Noise Marines! :-D

RTB01
31-08-2015, 09:53
That's a very nice fluke! Very lucky and impressive!

Dark Mark all funds are reserved for plastic heresy until future notice :) I'm going to the 40k open day in October and hoping it sees its release then!

I've had a play with a kakophoni and although it's paint in progress is all I've managed following sleepless nights with the daughter... I've gone for a mix of all colours and some remnants of the standard legion colours.219353219354