PDA

View Full Version : Skavenpelt banner question.

Khar
19-11-2012, 17:00
So, here's my problem: Skavenpelt banner's description is kind of hazy to me. It says 'the unit is subject to frenzy until defeated in combat' [plus the skaven hating bit, but it doesn't matter in this particular case.] Banner has a restriction 'skinks only'. So what does it mean, exactly:
To add some chaos, there is of course a unit called 'skinks' in lizardmen armybook, but as we all know, they can't take magic banner, so it's clearly not for them. Only one option remains - banner can only be taken by the skink chief upgraded to BSB.
So i give him the banner, and how should I interpret the description:
1] only he gets frenzy? [being a unit who carries it. Description doesn't say 'bearer and any unit he joins']
2] he and any unit he joins gets frenzy? [that would be RAW - 'skinks only' restriction means only that skink can carry this particular item. Not that it works only on skinks.]
3] he and any unit of skinks he joins gets frenzy? [probable RAI - from fluff point of view it's a distinctly skink item. That would also explain 'skinks only' instead of 'skink chief only' or 'skink battle standard bearer only' restriction.]

FAQ says nothing on this one, what's the Warseer community's oppinion?

theunwantedbeing
19-11-2012, 17:28
The banner can only be taken by skinks.
The unit with the banner is subject to frenzy.

venomx51
20-11-2012, 12:08
You can only give this item to a skink chief that is the BSB. He, and any skinks in a unit he joins get hatred of skaven and frenzy (tho not kroxigors in the case of a mixed unit)

Khar
20-11-2012, 12:10
Thank you for claryfying. Shame, really, I was kinda hoping for frenzied kroxigors...

theunwantedbeing
20-11-2012, 21:22
You can only give this item to a skink chief that is the BSB. He, and any skinks in a unit he joins get hatred of skaven and frenzy (tho not kroxigors in the case of a mixed unit)

Er, not quite.
The first bit is correct, only a skink chief can take the item as it is a "skinks only" item.
However the effect of the banner is simply "gives the unit frenzy", meaning all models in the unit gain frenzy, it isn't limited to just the skinks in the unit.

We may yet see an FAQ/Errata that makes only skinks benefit from the banner, however such a ruling does not exist.

This is much the same as how the Goblin Spider banner works.
Only a Goblin may take it, however the effects are not limited to only goblins in the unit.

Glen_Savet
23-11-2012, 06:35
theunwantedbeing has the right of it. Only Skink BSB's can take the banner, but they provide the benefit of Frenzy to whatever unit they join. Frenzied Temple Guard anyone? I've pondered a Skink on a Terradon, but then I realized it couldn't join the Cold One Cavalry like I wanted it to.

Khar
24-11-2012, 11:50
Nice. He could, however, join terradon units, raising them to nearly 6th ed army book level of close combat ability. Skink BSB is terribly squishy, though, so I'm not sure if using him to frenzy any unit significantly tougher than himself [Temple Guard, for instance] would end particularily good.