PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Built vs Modeling for Advantage

cuda1179
19-11-2012, 22:46
A while back a bought on ebay a turret from the Fortress of Redemption, simply because it looked cool. However, the more I looked at it, the more I wanted to make it a turret for a tank. However, this would need to be a rather large tank to fit the turret. My scratch-build will be about the size of a landraider (little shorter, but a little wider) and will count as a Land Raider Terminus Ultra. Now, normally a Terminus Ultra doesn't have a turret, however I will be re-locating all the other Lascannons to a single hull mount.

How many people out there would say I am "modeling for advantage"? I personally feel that turning two sponson-mounted twin-linked lascannons into hull mounted ones more than makes up for the addition of a single turret.

Jackmojo
19-11-2012, 22:56
Some people get hot and bothered about it, but in twenty years I only recall it mattering even a bit a half dozen or so times. That said the cooler the model ends up looking the less bitching you'll get.

Also remind people that LOS is a two way street...it's gonna be a fair bit harder to hide something that tall from enemy guns.

Jack

A.T.
19-11-2012, 22:57
How many people out there would say I am "modeling for advantage"?It's an apoc only unit - modelling for advantage doesn't really come into it.

Grimbad
19-11-2012, 23:00
A while back a bought on ebay a turret from the Fortress of Redemption, simply because it looked cool. However, the more I looked at it, the more I wanted to make it a turret for a tank. However, this would need to be a rather large tank to fit the turret. My scratch-build will be about the size of a landraider (little shorter, but a little wider) and will count as a Land Raider Terminus Ultra. Now, normally a Terminus Ultra doesn't have a turret, however I will be re-locating all the other Lascannons to a single hull mount.

How many people out there would say I am "modeling for advantage"? I personally feel that turning two sponson-mounted twin-linked lascannons into hull mounted ones more than makes up for the addition of a single turret.

If anyone bugs you about this, they're wrong. The Terminus Ultra is an Apocalypse unit -- so they shouldn't be bugging you in any case -- and its default configuration is modeled for stupid, so any change is a significant improvement, both in logic and aesthetics.

More generally, the objection towards 'modelling for advantage' gives far too much credit to the supposed balance of 40k. The same balance whose recent demise has been being perpetually lamented for a good long while. The system that establishes a fair fight in 40k isn't tuned so finely that these things make a bit of difference in terms of balance, even on the rare occasion that they do have a noticeable change in effectiveness.

Chem-Dog
19-11-2012, 23:41
Unless I missed a memo, the Terminus Ultra is an Apocalypse only unit. If people you play against are complaining about modelling for advantage on a single tank in the 6th edition in Apocalypse you need to find some new people, because these ones are obviously faulty. ;)

Modelling for advantage is a thorny subject but, in general, anyone who uses a heavily converted or scratch built model is willing to use it "as intended" without any advantages associated with their particular fabrication and stomach the potential handicaps of a model that's wider/higher/has a bigger footprint. The Bolters on poles and the 2 foot wide Battlewaggon are apocryphal and should be ignored.*

You have a cool model in mind. Make it, 99% of people will simply like to look at a cool models.

*If you encounter a bolter-on-poles army, or an extraordinarily wide KFF caddy, I'm pretty certain you are entitled to beat the owner to death with the BRB, it's classified as a mercy killing and no jury in any land would convict..... :shifty:

Nezalhualixtlan
20-11-2012, 11:48
As others mentioned, it's only viable in Apocalypse as the Terminus Ultra, and Apocalypse is more or less the place for 'anything goes' given the rest of the stuff thats available for it. So I wouldn't worry too much. As far as the model goes, it sounds like even though it's not as tall as a Landraider, you'd wind up with a higher and more visible model just from the addition of the FoR turret, making it easier for all of the crazy Apoc weaponry to hit it. And if anyone really gives you a problem about it, you can always offer to measure things from where the Landraider sponsons, turrets, or to the landraider hull where it would normally be. With that kind of flexibility, itd be hard to pin any kind of modeling for advantage on you. And I'm guessing most people will just say, no thats ok, and let you move on and use your cool looking model.

Caitsidhe
20-11-2012, 13:28
Some people need to eat more fiber. If this game was a finely balanced instrument wherein making such changes provided a tidal shift, it might matter. The game is a clunky vortex of imbalance and chaos. Build whatever the hell you want. Design it for advantage if you like. It won't matter enough in actual effect to amount to a hill of beans.