PDA

View Full Version : Back from Warhammer World... with questions.. quite a few questions:

Ahra Returns
20-11-2012, 11:02
Hi everyone,

Me and my friends are long standing 40k players but recently started looking at Fantasy again (we've played since 4th... but nothing like consistently).

We attended the doubles weekend and Warhammer World (which was really fun!) but I've got quite a few things I'd like clearing up.

Apologies if these are FAQ'd etc, but if someone would be kind enough to clarify I'd really appreciate it:

1) Is there a -1 penalty for shooting at lone characters, as far as I can see there isn't, does this still apply to skirmishers.
2) Do get points for killing enemy standard bearers, not just capturing them? I thought you did, but some people seemed to think you didn't.
3) Am I correct that only Core infantry (High Elf Spearmen, Ogre Bulls, Chaos Warriors etc) can garrison a tower at the start of the game during watchtower? I know any unit can move in, but is it only core that can start in the tower?
4) Does a Casket of Souls need line of sight? The wording seems to imply it does not.
5) What, if anything, happens to a casket of souls if it casts irresistible force? Does it miscast? Or does nothing happen because it's an innate ability?
6) If beaten in the first round of combat, do frenzied units break (potentially) from combat as well as losing frenzy?
7) Can an ironblaster pivot in the shooting phase?

I know that's a lot of quesitons, but I really enjoyed playing Warhammer so I'd like to make sure I'm 'doing it right'.

Also; what's with the miss-print in the rule book about Victory points?! Some people had books that said you MUST double your enemies VP's to win and then some had books that gave a clear deliniation.

Thanks again.

A

T10
20-11-2012, 11:38
1. No. Skirmishers benefit from the extra -1 to hit penalty due to their special rule.
2. You get points for capturing enemy standard bearers. This is explained in more detail in the Victory Points rules.
3. Yes.
4. I don't recall.
5. It is an innate ability of the Casket model.
6. If a frenzied unit loses a round of combat then it loses the Frenzy as described in the special rule. The Frenzy special rule does not affect break tests in any way: The unit must take a break test as normal. Of course, if the unit is also Unbreakable or has other rules that apply to break tests then these will come into play.
7. Yes, if you consider all models armed with warmachine-like weapons to be able to pivot before firing. No, if you consider the pivot-before-fire to be an aspect of the warmachine troop type.

Also, misprint is a misprint. The VP errata changes the Draw criteria to be a VP difference of 100 points. Anything else is a Win/Lose.

-T10

Ahra Returns
20-11-2012, 13:20
1. No. Skirmishers benefit from the extra -1 to hit penalty due to their special rule.
2. You get points for capturing enemy standard bearers. This is explained in more detail in the Victory Points rules.
3. Yes.
4. I don't recall.
5. It is an innate ability of the Casket model.
6. If a frenzied unit loses a round of combat then it loses the Frenzy as described in the special rule. The Frenzy special rule does not affect break tests in any way: The unit must take a break test as normal. Of course, if the unit is also Unbreakable or has other rules that apply to break tests then these will come into play.
7. Yes, if you consider all models armed with warmachine-like weapons to be able to pivot before firing. No, if you consider the pivot-before-fire to be an aspect of the warmachine troop type.

Also, misprint is a misprint. The VP errata changes the Draw criteria to be a VP difference of 100 points. Anything else is a Win/Lose.

-T10

Many thanks, T10, that's pretty much what we'd thought/played over the weekend. With the exception of some special units starting in the watchtower...

Just for the purposes of clarification then, it's easier to hit a lone character than skirmishers?

I'm glad it's just a miss-print, not an errata. I had a later version of the rules compared to a friend, yet it was my book that was missing the key detail.

Thanks again.

oldWitheredCorpse
20-11-2012, 14:24
The casket of souls does not need line-of-sight.

Ahra Returns
20-11-2012, 14:49
The casket of souls does not need line-of-sight.

Thanks, that's what we thought too - pretty cool.

Erm, lastly:

8) Can you occupy a Watchtower by Marching in to it, or do you have to move at normal speed?
9) Can one unit move out of the watchtower and another unit occupy it in the same turn?

Scalebug
20-11-2012, 15:15
Thanks, that's what we thought too - pretty cool.

Erm, lastly:

8) Can you occupy a Watchtower by Marching in to it, or do you have to move at normal speed?
9) Can one unit move out of the watchtower and another unit occupy it in the same turn?

No Marching into watchtowers (or other buildings), although check out Swift Reform for that little extra reach :)

No particular limitation on one unit leaving and another entering the same movement phase.

Ahra Returns
20-11-2012, 15:19
No Marching into watchtowers (or other buildings), although check out Swift Reform for that little extra reach :)

No particular limitation on one unit leaving and another entering the same movement phase.

Haha, thanks Scalebug, nice tip :)

Archis
20-11-2012, 15:39
Would the one inch rule prevent a unit moving in after one just left?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

belgarath97
20-11-2012, 19:08
Hi everyone,

Me and my friends are long standing 40k players but recently started looking at Fantasy again (we've played since 4th... but nothing like consistently).

We attended the doubles weekend and Warhammer World (which was really fun!) but I've got quite a few things I'd like clearing up.

Apologies if these are FAQ'd etc, but if someone would be kind enough to clarify I'd really appreciate it:

1) Is there a -1 penalty for shooting at lone characters, as far as I can see there isn't, does this still apply to skirmishers.

There is still a -1 for skirmishers, but lone characters no longer count as skirmishers.

2) Do get points for killing enemy standard bearers, not just capturing them? I thought you did, but some people seemed to think you didn't.

You no longer capture standards. When a unit breaks the standard bearer is killed. This included Battle Standard Bearers. Thus you get points for killing Standard Bearers.

3) Am I correct that only Core infantry (High Elf Spearmen, Ogre Bulls, Chaos Warriors etc) can garrison a tower at the start of the game during watchtower? I know any unit can move in, but is it only core that can start in the tower?

Yes Core only in the tower, to start the game.

4) Does a Casket of Souls need line of sight? The wording seems to imply it does not.

Not sure, but I think so.

5) What, if anything, happens to a casket of souls if it casts irresistible force? Does it miscast? Or does nothing happen because it's an innate ability?

Innate bound spells do not miscast.

6) If beaten in the first round of combat, do frenzied units break (potentially) from combat as well as losing frenzy?

Yes, they take a break test, just like any other unit without the unbreakable special rule.

7) Can an ironblaster pivot in the shooting phase?

Currently a hot debate, but the general feeling is yes it can. Based on the latest update to the Errata.

I know that's a lot of quesitons, but I really enjoyed playing Warhammer so I'd like to make sure I'm 'doing it right'.

Also; what's with the miss-print in the rule book about Victory points?! Some people had books that said you MUST double your enemies VP's to win and then some had books that gave a clear deliniation.

In the first run of the Rule Book, there was a misprint based on playtest ruleset that slipped in. Each book came with a rules update shrink wrapped with the book on release day.

Thanks again.

A

No problem, glad you had fun. Hope I helped.

belgarath97
20-11-2012, 19:13

-T10

I'm pretty sure double victory points count as a crushing victory. But essentially the same.

Ahra Returns
21-11-2012, 10:48
Thanks, Belgarath, really helpful! :)

There's so much to get used to, and so many rules that have changed!

Another thing I've though about since is

9) If a model is fleeing, and is charged by an enemy unit, does it 'Flee' again (roll 2/3D6 depending on unit type) or is it just automatically killed in the enemy covers the distance? Having re-read the book, it seems to be the latter. But I'm not sure :(

If that's the case, two of my opponent's units should have died over the weekend! Not that it would have changed the results of those games at all.

I'm sure I had one final question.... but I can't remember it! How annoying!

T10
21-11-2012, 11:46
Just for the purposes of clarification then, it's easier to hit a lone character than skirmishers?

Yes.

-T10

T10
21-11-2012, 11:53
9) If a model is fleeing, and is charged by an enemy unit, does it 'Flee' again (roll 2/3D6 depending on unit type) or is it just automatically killed in the enemy covers the distance? Having re-read the book, it seems to be the latter. But I'm not sure :(

Units can effectively flee multiple times in the same turn:

Each time you declare a charge the target unit must declare and resolve it's charge reaction. A unit that is fleeing when it is charged has only one option: It must declare (and resolve) the Flee! charge reaction.

Notice that units do not get to make charge reactions against units moving into contact with the Random Movement special rule or with a Pursuit/Overrun move: Fleeing units cauht this way are automatically caught and destroyed.

-T10

Mr_Rose
22-11-2012, 15:59
Also note that each charge is declared and the response resolved in sequence, and that you may not declare a charge that will not reach, so while a unit can potentially flee several times in a turn, actually achieving this can require some setup.

E.G. A unit is 8" from three other M4 infantry units. The first of these declares a charge, and the unit flees a paltry 4", putting it 12" from the remaining two enemy units. As they are still within the 16" maximum reach of a charging M4 unit, the second one proceeds to charge as well and the target, having fled once already, must flee again and gets another low result; 5" this time. Now, the third enemy unit is 17" away and can't charge at all. Further, the other two units are now out of reach too and will fail their charges when it becomes time to roll their charge distances.