PDA

View Full Version : mixing old and new termie models

Harbinger
20-11-2012, 15:37
I recently got some of the new palstic loyalist terminators and they are quite a bit larger than my old style chaos terminators. I have tried to come up with a way to mix the two, but it ends up looking somewhat silly. Has anyone managed to find a conversion/modeling technique (spikes, trophies, tentacles, etc.) to bulk out the old style terminators so they are closer in size? Or should I just resign myself to the size difference and get back to rolling dice?

Hrw-Amen
20-11-2012, 15:57
I have a lot of old and new terminators in mixed units. It helps to make the old ones look more in tune if you simply use a bit of green stuff in the arm sockets to make the arms more animate rather than having them all straight down the sides like in the olden days. It just opens the model up and makes them occupy more actual space. Also consider that although Space Marines are supposed to be bigger than normal humans, they are not all going to be exactly the same size, so having a couple a bit taller or shorter is not an issue. You could also model them as standing on something but on a personal note I think that looks rubbish, but each to his own I guess.

skorczeny
20-11-2012, 16:12
Depends on how much it bothers you. When I first got my new bulky CSM termies, I mixed in the old ones by re-basing them. The old ones were given larger bases, and I added rocks for them to stand on. This made them taller, and kind-of worked to mix them in, but it still wasn't quite right.

After one game, I couldn't take it anymore. I destroyed the old, and welcomed in the new.

Angelwing
20-11-2012, 21:01
I wouldn't mix the two in the same unit. I have the same thing with tyranid warriors and grey knight terminators. the different editions just don't look right in the same units. Keep them in units of like for like if you want to keep to aesthetics rather than rules.

Kurtboard
20-11-2012, 21:37
I glued my old Space Wolf terminators with 25mm bases onto the larger 40mm base and coverd the double stack of bases with snow. They now have nearly the proper height and do have the propoer base size. I'll also did a little conversion work to make them look a tad bit more dynamic. I was quite happy with the results.

Kurt