PDA

View Full Version : Non GW carry case in GW store

Zen21
21-11-2012, 10:21
Hey guys.

I've looked around but been unable to find any info regarding this. Basically, I'm considering buying a KR multicase at some point, and was wondering if anyone's ever had any issues regarding using another manufacturer's case in a GW store. I know they generally don't allow other company's models, but I've never heard anything regarding another company's army cases. I'm not a fan of GW's army cases, but don't want to find myself unable to play in GW when I bring the case with me.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Duke_of_Krondor
21-11-2012, 10:27
Never had an issue at GW or WHW with my KRs. It's rockier ground, methinks. models are part of the game whereas a case is just a container and, considering they don't make appropriate containers for each of their products, it would be harder for them to justify. It'd also stop that kid with their first 10 tactical marines from bringing them in a shoe box - which isn't something they want to do.

BigbyWolf
21-11-2012, 10:35
Agreed, there shouldn't be any problem. If they make one, they're being difficult for no reason and I doubt it would be a GW policy.

Kargraz
21-11-2012, 10:55
I've never had any problems when I bring an IKEA bag with old foam inlays from computer hardware...

Ulthwe's Tears
21-11-2012, 10:58
I regularly go to Warhammer World and have had absolutely zero problems. I've also used the odd now-GW model in there, so long as it is not conspicuous it is usually fine.

Jind_Singh
21-11-2012, 22:32
Cases is fine - some people use box lids! Models is different kettle of fish - you can use 3rd party but its best to have GW parts on it to make it semi-GW

datalink7
21-11-2012, 23:25
If a store had a problem with the way I protect and carry my models, I wouldn't go to that story any more.

riotknight
21-11-2012, 23:55
Cases is fine - some people use box lids! Models is different kettle of fish - you can use 3rd party but its best to have GW parts on it to make it semi-GW

Its a store manager discretion Jind, y&l certainly does not allow 3rd party models.

popisdead
23-11-2012, 23:42
It would be really lame for someone to demand how you carry your models.

-Loki-
24-11-2012, 06:26
Every time I walk by my local GW, there's the full range of usual cases. GW, Battlefoam, KR, backpacks, shoeboxes, egg cartons, etc. Cases are one of the only things they don't harp on about.

Bodysnatcher
25-11-2012, 10:44
At the last WHW tournament I was at, at least 60% of the cases were non GW simply because GW cases don't fit full size armies in.

olderplayer
26-11-2012, 01:31
One of our largest local GW stores had a policy that you could bring your models in a non-GW case but had to unload them and put the case back in your car. The excuse was due to space limitations in the store. The GW store is busy and in a mall where it is used to attract people to the game. It has only 3 gaming tables and, when busy, it gets pretty full. But, still, there was plenty of room under the gaming tables. The store also had a policy of not allowing sales of used models on the premises between players BTW. You could meet up but had to go out to the parking lot to actually conduct the exchange.

-Loki-
26-11-2012, 02:28
There's no way in hell I'd ever leave a full army sitting on a table in any LGS surpervised by anyone but myself. What a ridiculous policy.

The Low King
26-11-2012, 08:51
One of our largest local GW stores had a policy that you could bring your models in a non-GW case but had to unload them and put the case back in your car. The excuse was due to space limitations in the store. The GW store is busy and in a mall where it is used to attract people to the game. It has only 3 gaming tables and, when busy, it gets pretty full. But, still, there was plenty of room under the gaming tables. The store also had a policy of not allowing sales of used models on the premises between players BTW. You could meet up but had to go out to the parking lot to actually conduct the exchange.

I would assume that is more because they dont want a big Non-GW Logo in the middle of the store....still, a bit over the top.

For the second hand models though, thats completely reasonable, my store doesnt have that rule but everyone i know there does it anyway just out of politeness.

shakedown47
26-11-2012, 14:22
I would assume that is more because they dont want a big Non-GW Logo in the middle of the store....still, a bit over the top.

For the second hand models though, thats completely reasonable, my store doesnt have that rule but everyone i know there does it anyway just out of politeness.

I don't know, to me it makes sense. As it's in a mall and space is at a premium, it follows that they want to keep unnecessary clutter to a minimum. Also, they're trying to present a certain aesthetic with their stores, and we all know how cluttered and crammed nerd store gaming rooms get on open gaming/event days...so much so that it's been a minor turn-off for people I've brought around because they feel claustrophobic. I agree that the primary reason is probably that they don't want competing manufacturers getting free advertising, but honestly I wish this would just become common gamer courtesy for those that have arrived by car (as opposed to walking/biking/mass transit.)

someone2040
28-11-2012, 04:53
I do know that my local GW gets very very cluttered when there's lots of people bringing in cases, bags, etc.
If the car park is within reasonable distance (like less than a minute away), I think it's fair call to be asked to put your case back in the car (Although, only really if it applies to GW cases as well!).
Anything more and well... I wouldn't necessarily trust my models being left alone in store as assumably it's busy if you're being asked to put your case away, and well... lots of chances for someone to get their grubby little hands on one of your figures while you're dashing to your car and back.

But overall, I don't think my GW has ever had a problem with people using non-GW cases. It's a hard thing to police, especially since younger people (and some not so younger people) will skimp on the case to get more models/etc. I think more often they've tended to make a fuss when people are transporting their models by throwing them into ice cream containers rather than non-GW cases.

Kenzaburo
28-11-2012, 07:46
in the german GW HQ i haven't been bothered about bringing a feldherr messenger bag filled with my minis. but they actually gave me a stink eye, when i showed up to a paint-a-thon night with a variety of colors apart from GW's brand. the store manager had invited me back then, because he was interested in my GD projects, but were surprised that i didn't limit myself to just their paint range. looked at me funny all night long, as did several other employees.

i get the whole brand thing, but seriously, keep it to the models. hobby items and bags should be excluded from that. not everyone likes to use the GW water cup and the inferior brushes they sell. i prefer my W&N series 7.