PDA

View Full Version : does you group have "house rules" OR (polite agreements)

budman
22-11-2012, 08:37
Our group has two polite agreements. To keep the games fun
No flyers and no named heroes (i.e chapter master "wename ourselves" cool but not drago) unless the army is super week withoutthem

The no flyers is a prevent crazy escalation (heck I play necrons a wing of doomys would be awesome)
The no named heroes thing is for fluff

What do you have and why…
Or is the admitting of these kind of thing kind of Hersey

The_Dragon_Rising
22-11-2012, 09:06
The only one that we have is that non-scoring vehicles cannot camp an objectivethat would prevent any unit capturing it. I.e. a wave serpent, even a wreck, is large enough to cover an objective and almost completly deny units from getting within 3".

Latro_
22-11-2012, 09:56
Why is no named heros for fluff? They are an integral part of the 40k background...

By doing this you limit so many cool army builts specifically unlocked by special characters...

hobbic_c
22-11-2012, 09:59
The only one that we have is that non-scoring vehicles cannot camp an objectivethat would prevent any unit capturing it. I.e. a wave serpent, even a wreck, is large enough to cover an objective and almost completly deny units from getting within 3".

we kind of do something like this, as we use the objective markers so we can't put a vehicle directly on top of an objective, so we just nudge them out of the way slightly, and move them back if the vehicle moves off...

on the note of the OP. we have some restrictions we've started using for small games (~600pts), we use the allies FOC rather than the normal one, with the following restrictions on units:

no 2+ armour saves
total vehicle armour does not exceed 34
no more than 2W on a character
no ordinance weapons

think that was it... it's mostly based on the combat patrol found in the 4ed rulebook

EDIT: no named characters either at 600pts...

svennh
22-11-2012, 10:04
We have the "NO charcters without concend" rule and "NO FW models without concend" rule.
But I'm trying together with some newer members to get these rules banned.

budman
22-11-2012, 10:40
Why is no named heros for fluff? They are an integral part of the 40k background...

All of the group came back to 6th ed after leaving in the 1st ed, 2nd ed or early 3rd ed era
So for some of us it was you made you own heros and named them youself or you got to hate the herohammer aspects of 3rd

God that makes me feel old.

Latro_
22-11-2012, 11:34
heh the problem is in recent years GW has totally moved away from that dynamic. Bakc 'in the day' spcial characters were totally unbalanced with that reputation. Now they are more like 'generic' units and moreso unlock loads of cool army options, like typus allows you to take a zombie army etc...

MagicHat
22-11-2012, 12:17
Any die rolled into terrain is re-rolled.

Also, I don't think I have played a game where we followed the Rulebook for setting up the battle. (Fortifications after terrain, Objectives before rolling for side and the like...)

budman
22-11-2012, 12:31
heh the problem is in recent years GW has totally moved away from that dynamic. Bakc 'in the day' spcial characters were totally unbalanced with that reputation. Now they are more like 'generic' units and moreso unlock loads of cool army options, like typus allows you to take a zombie army etc...

It's something made more clear by the codex's that I have seen over the past few months. and who does't like cool army options

Kelkyen
22-11-2012, 12:42
My terrain collection includes original and hand made Necromunda terrain. We use the rules for ruins for the Necromunda terrain in place of the current building rules, as the pieces are more open then normal enclosed buildings. We agreed that as they are not true ruins, they are not difficult terrain if you use stairs/ladders, but use difficult terrain rolls if you switch levels at another point. By using ruins rules, it handles all the LOS and attacking a level with templates, and means the structures can not be destroyed like normal buildings.

lordreaven448
22-11-2012, 14:28
You roll for Warlord Trait then you pick it from the 3 charts in the BRB, while if your Chaos Marines you can only do that if you don't take your book trait.

So if you roll a 6 you pick one of the 6's in the 3 charts.

Zothos
22-11-2012, 14:34
No allies.

An agreement amongst us, not really a house rule.

jifel
22-11-2012, 14:39
With an odd number of objectives, we put one in the center.

DaemonprincePaul
22-11-2012, 15:11
We have agreed that as i dont have the daemons update (and i really dont wanna spend stupid amounts of money to get the update) that i can use the old rules for flamers and screamers and if i ever get one of the seeker chariots i can use it as a herald of slaanesh on chariot of slaanesh

Fear Ghoul
22-11-2012, 15:17
The only house rule we have this far is allowing Tyranids to take Imperial Guard and Dark Eldar as allies.

Furor Teutonicus
22-11-2012, 20:11
We have no allies and no fortifications unless the players explicitly agree on it before the game. FW is fine as long as no superheavies/gigantic creatures, no 7", 10" and apokalyptic barrages and no hellstorm templates.

CrownAxe
22-11-2012, 20:25
We have agreed that as i dont have the daemons update (and i really dont wanna spend stupid amounts of money to get the update) that i can use the old rules for flamers and screamers and if i ever get one of the seeker chariots i can use it as a herald of slaanesh on chariot of slaanesh

How was $10 for a magazine super expensive?

lordreaven448
22-11-2012, 23:37
How was $10 for a magazine super expensive?
I don't think it's price. I was never able to get hold of the daemon update due to it being sold out. Mine is a photocopy.

CrownAxe
22-11-2012, 23:55
I don't think it's price. I was never able to get hold of the daemon update due to it being sold out. Mine is a photocopy.

im just confused how getting the rules update costs crazy amounts of money

especially when the option he's choosing is the use of inferior rules because of it

Azazel
23-11-2012, 00:07
We only have two house rules: follow the official rules the the letter.

And who ever loses will be mercilessly made fun of until they win a game. :)

Chem-Dog
23-11-2012, 01:50
At the moment the guys at my club are playing through a modded Necromunda campaign of my design.
As "The Zombie master" I have complete authority on the dice rolls.
I have three rules.

1: Dice that come of the table must be rolled again.

2: Awesome ninja-skill dice rolling is rewarded with instant success regardless of the result (basically, if your dice do something cool, you win).

3: Roll 6 to hit, 6 to wound and 6 for damage= Double Exp.

Cheeslord
23-11-2012, 10:48
Polite agreements we have so far:

1: Nobody brings Grey Knights.

2: We play 5th edition unless both players want to play 6th edition

I think thats about it ...

Mark.

DaemonprincePaul
23-11-2012, 14:41
im just confused how getting the rules update costs crazy amounts of money

especially when the option he's choosing is the use of inferior rules because of it
Basically when the white dwarf with the update in came out i didnt have a daemon army so i never picked it up. A couple of months later however i started a daemon army and as you cant buy copies of the update anymore it would mean id have to get it off ebay and a staff member i know has seen it go for £20 on there and i refuse to spend that much on a mini booklet lol

IcedCrow
23-11-2012, 14:56
Unless it's a tournament where it is expected to cheese, we basically restrain our power building. That's about it.

jt.glass
23-11-2012, 14:57
I think thats about it ...We have a bit more than that...like a three-and-a-half page houserules document. If and when we move fully on to 6th it will need updating, extensively. Actually, it needs probably needs some updating anyway.

glass.

Sabe
23-11-2012, 16:26
You roll for Warlord Trait then you pick it from the 3 charts in the BRB, while if your Chaos Marines you can only do that if you don't take your book trait.

We as well as many other groups in our area do this as well. We also follow the usual "dice-off-table are re-rolled" kind of rules about rolls.

Buddha777
23-11-2012, 17:34
Our group uses a house rule with regards to warlord traits. When we roll the dice a player can choose that number in any of the columns instead of just one. Makes for a more interesting battle as let's face it, some traits are plain useless for some armies.

DaemonprincePaul
23-11-2012, 18:00
When im using my daemons i only use strategic as i dont really need the command rolls and personal is a bit cack

TheDarkDuke
24-11-2012, 00:39
Yep we completely removed the chaos always has to challenge and accept garbage rule entirely. Couldnt stand that rule in Fantasy and hate it even more in 40 k where it makes almost no sense at all. Other then that we are fine with most stuff.

Charistoph
24-11-2012, 01:31
Apparently Warlord Traits weren't very big at my LGS until Chaos Marines came out.

I don't get the SC hate after all these years, though. I can understand not including them for quick games of the 40K in 40 Minutes variety, but in 1500+, it just doesn't make any sense anymore.

But my LGS has a lot of weird games added in to their monthly tournament circuit to make up for that.

onidemon
24-11-2012, 04:21
By doing this you limit so many cool army builts specifically unlocked by special characters...

Not a counter-argument, but just an explanation for why people might not want special characters for "fluff" reasons:

Imagine a black crusade in action. Under the Warmaster Abaddon sail two dozen plague fleets, double that number in battle barges and corrupted naval personnel, and countless pirates and cults in ships of every size scattered in fleets by the thousands that threaten the Cadian gate. Abaddon himself resides on his Planet Destroyer, the largest vessel in all of the fleets, a singularly unique design that can annihilate worlds at range. Aboard his flagship he directs the actions of his nightmare armies, tended to by servants who's eyes have been torn out, so they may not gaze on the visage of the highest chosen of the traitor elite.

Okay, there's your setup, now here comes the campaign:

in the opening stages, the Black Legion land advance forces in a Planetstrike against a planet's defenders. And Abaddon is there, personally leading the army.
Later, a detachment of Legionaires, supported by native cults, seek to claim unknown artifacts on the battlefield. And Abbadon is there.
Later they look to claim a relic, and Abaddon is there. A scouting party is sent on a mission to sabotage an objective behind enemy lines, and Abaddon is there.
Plague marines of the Death Guard descend upon a City of Death to spread papa-Nurgle's praise, and Abaddon is there.
The Emperor's children run rampant in the refugee camps, taking slaves and exercising their debauchery on the innocent... and Abaddon is there.

Later, in the Black Crusade yearbook, an editor-savant nervously flips from page to page, realizing they've been punked and Abaddon is in every picture. He was present for every action, every offensive, every defensive, every everything, while also coordinating the greater campaign from his flag ship... Then, under Abaddon's personal picture in the year book is his personal quote, and it reads "I'm the only one they gave Eternal Warrior!"

Azulthar
24-11-2012, 13:14
We decided to go back to 5th's method of setting up the table, etc. Also we always use pitched deployment in 6th (long edge vs long edge). The other methods just weren't working.

Other than that we don't houserule, and we never houseruled before 6th.

Gaargod
24-11-2012, 14:46

I like this idea muchly.

Unless whoever is being played is a stickler for the exact terrain set up rules - set up terrain first, then roll to choose sides, then place fortifications. Why they changed it I'll never know.

Cheatnhax
25-11-2012, 17:38
Just every once In a while when I REALLY don't feel like playing against my buddies Air Crons list he will let my long fangs get skyfire for an extra 5 pts each.

This is mostly because I think it was lame that they took the time to add a new skyfire missile to the launcher in the 6th ed rule book but couldn't be bothered to give it to anyone in the FAQs.

Corporeal
25-11-2012, 21:23
the group I play with doesn't do house rules. they moan about it being 'too broken' or some other excuse when they haven't even tried them.

I don't play with them much.

murgel2006
25-11-2012, 21:40
we do have some agreements.

- FOC is only used if agreed upon. regular games are point restricted only or with agreed FOC variations.
- Mission is always rolled on a special table, including all the 4th ed missions and the battle missions book.
- only the scatter die is rolled on the board, all other dice are rolled away from it.
- Powerlisting only with prior agreement. Normally only in preparation for a tournament.

And currently under discussion:
Overwatch firing is treated as if all weapons are in range (fusion pistols, infernus pistols etc.).

Carlosophy
26-11-2012, 10:32
Any die rolled into terrain is re-rolled.

Also, I don't think I have played a game where we followed the Rulebook for setting up the battle. (Fortifications after terrain, Objectives before rolling for side and the like...)

Does anybody do this? We've always found it to be much faster to let whoever is hosting the game set up the scenery prior to everyones' arrival and then just roll off for table edges so there is no advantage. It saves a lot of time and effort. Also deployment zones are decided by army size. Small force? Table quarters. Larger game? No mans land or short edges.

As for house rules, 6th has killed the pre-measuring one (thankfully) so only a few minor ones remain, like Slay the Warlord bonuses are awarded for the first time Celestine bites the dust, Abaddon doesn't suffer from rolling a 1 for Drach'nyen and Ezekiel is Mastery Level 2.

Novafix
26-11-2012, 10:44
We have

All dice must be 100% flat and on the table (not on scenery)
In our many cult chaos lists if you take the holy number you unlock all the options - provided they have the mark upgrade of course.

I may suggest we steal the 666 = super boom though

RandomThoughts
30-11-2012, 09:09
For six months now, we have a silent agreement to leave our Warmachine models at home and play Warmachine instead. ;)

I think the one thing that had us all up in arms the most were the allies rules. Some of us wanted to ban allies altogether, some of us wanted to play the rules as written, and some of us wanted a level playing field with all alliances following the rules for "Alliance of Opportunity" (the middle level) without restrictions to pairings, but every player would have been required to come up with convincing fluff for their armies choice.

No allies.

An agreement amongst us, not really a house rule.

But, but, allies are fluffy!

With an odd number of objectives, we put one in the center.

We've done this for years. Not even an agreement, just something we're doing.