PDA

View Full Version : A (mildly dorky) solution to randomization

ReveredChaplainDrake
24-11-2012, 01:56
This is probably either the most brilliant or the lamest thing that I've ever done, and that most 40k players have ever seen. When I try it out at the FLGS tomorrow, I'll either be praised for thinking outside the box, or laughed at. Seeing as nobody picked on me too badly for using a Clow Book as my dice container for a time, I'm willing to take the risk.

I use a lot of dice markers for my armies. Placeholders for wound counters is one thing, but objectives can be a real pain. In Scouring in particular (as I seem to roll that mission with disproportionate frequency), each objective needs to be marked twice, and it gets a bit confusing with dice thrown all over the place. And Emperor help you if you've got a Scouring objective inside a Mysterious Forest! So, I devised a system of my own that alleviates the need for dice as markers. You pretty much can't roll near them, and if you 'borrow' a marker dice for a particularly weighty volley, you'd better remember to put each marker back in its original facing. All that was such a headache... so I designed my own cards.

I present to you, my randomization cards:

Warlord Traits:

Missions & Scouring Tokens (pt I)

Mysterious Forest & Scouring Tokens (pt II)

3x Mysterious Objectives (1-3)

3x Mysterious Objectives (4-6)

The set I personally use contains 60 cards, which accommodates a full set of 60 card covers. I have one of each of the Warlord Traits and Missions, a set of Scouring markers, two of each forest effect, and three sets of random objectives. These are based mostly around the area I play, where there aren't a ton of forests. I only printed out three sets of Objectives because I didn't want to needlessly burn printer ink, I wanted to keep the card count at 60, and really what are the odds of playing a mission with at least three objectives that all roll the same effect? Eventually, I printed out my sets and put them in card covers with other chaff yugioh cards for hard, card-like backings. (Yugioh has a serious problem with making useless chaff cards, especially if you've been collecting for as long as I have, so there's no real loss. Heck, go to any fairly informal card shop and you can buy a hundred worthless commons for literally pennies each. If you're lucky, you might just stumble upon a booster-box-hunting card shark who will give you all the commons you want.)

The cards were made using yugico.com/yugioh-card-creator, and can be sized up to regulation size by increasing their size to 175%. (I've already done that.) I originally intended to use 40k pics for the artwork, but because it's pretty obvious that these are essentially doctored yugioh cards, I figure there's no point fighting it. Plus I had the hardest time ever trying to look for 40k pics of similar styles and decent enough quality to tell what's going on. Suffice it to say, we're not all fantastic photographers. So, rather than trying to use real pics, or video game screenshots, or serious drawings, or not-so-serious drawings, I figure I would just stick with existing card artworks. The pictures are generally evocative enough that they should convey the feel of each random effect, as well as giving me someplace to put a cheat-sheet effect summary on each card. At points I had to summarize things to make the effects readable (Scouring and Relic in particular).

You might notice there's a six-card gap in the numbering. I also had an idea for a set of 6 cards to deal with water effects. Granted, nobody in my local meta uses water terrain, so I didn't make them a priority. Which is a pity, as IMHO water effects are a lot less stupid than forest effects.

I also didn't bother doing anything for the psychic disciplines, and there are a few reasons for that. For one thing, I don't personally use psykers, seeing as every army I have that's worth using can get by without them. For another thing, GW actually sells psychic discipline cards, and I thought that brandishing a homemade solution in a GW store might be in poor taste. (And personally, I find those objective dice nearly impossible to read, and you usually have to consult the rulebook anyway to figure out what the rulings are, which defeat the purpose.) And finally, I can always make note of which powers I roll on my army list, or set some jumbo dice up along a table's corner if I absolutely need to. This solution is mainly a way to circumvent using dice on the table for markers.

druchii
24-11-2012, 05:32
This is probably either the most brilliant or the lamest thing that I've ever done, and that most 40k players have ever seen. When I try it out at the FLGS tomorrow, I'll either be praised for thinking outside the box, or laughed at. Seeing as nobody picked on me too badly for using a Clow Book as my dice container for a time, I'm willing to take the risk.

I use a lot of dice markers for my armies. Placeholders for wound counters is one thing, but objectives can be a real pain. In Scouring in particular (as I seem to roll that mission with disproportionate frequency), each objective needs to be marked twice, and it gets a bit confusing with dice thrown all over the place. And Emperor help you if you've got a Scouring objective inside a Mysterious Forest! So, I devised a system of my own that alleviates the need for dice as markers. You pretty much can't roll near them, and if you 'borrow' a marker dice for a particularly weighty volley, you'd better remember to put each marker back in its original facing. All that was such a headache... so I designed my own cards.

I present to you, my randomization cards:

Warlord Traits:

Missions & Scouring Tokens (pt I)

Mysterious Forest & Scouring Tokens (pt II)

3x Mysterious Objectives (1-3)

3x Mysterious Objectives (4-6)

The set I personally use contains 60 cards, which accommodates a full set of 60 card covers. I have one of each of the Warlord Traits and Missions, a set of Scouring markers, two of each forest effect, and three sets of random objectives. These are based mostly around the area I play, where there aren't a ton of forests. I only printed out three sets of Objectives because I didn't want to needlessly burn printer ink, I wanted to keep the card count at 60, and really what are the odds of playing a mission with at least three objectives that all roll the same effect? Eventually, I printed out my sets and put them in card covers with other chaff yugioh cards for hard, card-like backings. (Yugioh has a serious problem with making useless chaff cards, especially if you've been collecting for as long as I have, so there's no real loss. Heck, go to any fairly informal card shop and you can buy a hundred worthless commons for literally pennies each. If you're lucky, you might just stumble upon a booster-box-hunting card shark who will give you all the commons you want.)

The cards were made using yugico.com/yugioh-card-creator, and can be sized up to regulation size by increasing their size to 175%. (I've already done that.) I originally intended to use 40k pics for the artwork, but because it's pretty obvious that these are essentially doctored yugioh cards, I figure there's no point fighting it. Plus I had the hardest time ever trying to look for 40k pics of similar styles and decent enough quality to tell what's going on. Suffice it to say, we're not all fantastic photographers. So, rather than trying to use real pics, or video game screenshots, or serious drawings, or not-so-serious drawings, I figure I would just stick with existing card artworks. The pictures are generally evocative enough that they should convey the feel of each random effect, as well as giving me someplace to put a cheat-sheet effect summary on each card. At points I had to summarize things to make the effects readable (Scouring and Relic in particular).

You might notice there's a six-card gap in the numbering. I also had an idea for a set of 6 cards to deal with water effects. Granted, nobody in my local meta uses water terrain, so I didn't make them a priority. Which is a pity, as IMHO water effects are a lot less stupid than forest effects.

I also didn't bother doing anything for the psychic disciplines, and there are a few reasons for that. For one thing, I don't personally use psykers, seeing as every army I have that's worth using can get by without them. For another thing, GW actually sells psychic discipline cards, and I thought that brandishing a homemade solution in a GW store might be in poor taste. (And personally, I find those objective dice nearly impossible to read, and you usually have to consult the rulebook anyway to figure out what the rulings are, which defeat the purpose.) And finally, I can always make note of which powers I roll on my army list, or set some jumbo dice up along a table's corner if I absolutely need to. This solution is mainly a way to circumvent using dice on the table for markers.

Now I'll preface this by saying for the longest time I had wished they had psychic power cards like the fantasy magic cards, so you can guess how happy I was with the new 40k system...

That being said, a huge part of my enjoyment of the "stuff" aspect of the hobby (like the stupid servo-skull tape measure, the psychic card deck, the new dice and the blue lightning blast template set) is how good it looks, and I don't like the coloring of those cards. Or the artwork. Or the fact that they're doctored yu-gi-oh cards. Beyond that harsh criticism I think the idea behind them is amazing. And I know it's really hard to find 40k related artwork but as far as I can remember Sabertooth games had done a 40k CCG a while back which had some AWESOME artwork.

I think you've got a lot of stuff to improve, but the thought is something I've been tempted to do for a while myself...

d

agurus1
24-11-2012, 05:39
thats awesome man, you have inspired me to make a similar set lol

Zywus
24-11-2012, 05:57
Good idea.

As you say, using dice as markers is a real pain in the ass sometimes, as you invariably will pick them up and roll them by accident.

Azazel
24-11-2012, 07:54
They look great. Although I don't think there would be much use for mission and mysterious objective cards. They'd just take up too much room on the board.

Warlord Traits are very nice though.

agurus1
24-11-2012, 08:36
yeah you inspired me to start work on my own now (all chaotic to go with my army lol)

stereynolds
24-11-2012, 13:52
I've drafted up some simple ones using excel with my clubs logo at the bottom and the rules text for Warlord traits, Dark Eldar Pain tokens and Eldar Psychic Powers. Cheap and cheerful :P

Chapters Unwritten
24-11-2012, 14:43
As a graphic designer with a repository of 40k images I could probably design a set of these that fits the aesthetic of the game very well.

Of course, more or less, this is a great idea. GW added a lot of random effects to the game and A.) being able to see them all on the table and B.) not having to grab the rulebook all the time really makes a great gaming aid. I salute you for your efforts!

Dylius
24-11-2012, 14:47
I like these. Although they do have a different artwork feel, as opposed to a 40k one, the images are well chosen - its easy to see what they represent. Good work.

Ronin_eX
24-11-2012, 18:33
I did something similar with a MTG card creator. I'm a 2nd Edition player and I love all the fiddly crap. For some reason 40k and card references just feel right to me. That reminds me, I need to see if my LGS has the Chaos psychic power cards. I may not play Chaos, but I'll be damned if I don't get every officially available card thingy for 6E. :p

prowla
25-11-2012, 00:39
I have been thinking about making small objective/terrain/etc. markers as well. These take the idea a bit further, well done.

RandomThoughts
26-11-2012, 08:09
Good idea. Seeing these I just wish I played a game with all model and weapon stats and all special rules for my units spelled out nicely on a handy set of cards, together with boxes to tick off for lost hit points, and damage on vehicles and everything. Wait, I do! :)

Tarax
26-11-2012, 09:08
How strange it is that GW did make cards for the Psychic powers, which you could also random roll a dice for, but they didn't do it for Warlord Traits, which are randomized in a similar way.
It could have made them a lot of money too.

Toadius80
26-11-2012, 09:37
Random thoughts: Sounds like you play warmachine lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

de Selby
26-11-2012, 15:45
It's a good idea. Artwork is always a problem. The best solution, with regards to copyright etc, might be pictures of models you've painted.