PDA

View Full Version : Is Dark Vengeance good for new players?

AlvinaTheCat
24-11-2012, 05:21
My friend and I are wanting to start a 40k army and this seemed like the easiest way to go. He would want the chaos marines and i'd be getting the dark angels. I'm just confused as to why the dark angels aren't on the GW site. Too bad the blood angels weren't in it, saw their models and i was awed by the sanguinary guard.

Wolf Lord Balrog
24-11-2012, 05:46
My friend and I are wanting to start a 40k army and this seemed like the easiest way to go. He would want the chaos marines and i'd be getting the dark angels. I'm just confused as to why the dark angels aren't on the GW site. Too bad the blood angels weren't in it, saw their models and i was awed by the sanguinary guard.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1400016&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

No Dark Angels you say? :)

AlvinaTheCat
24-11-2012, 05:52
Hahaha I guess I didn't look hard enough!!

xxRavenxx
24-11-2012, 09:16
I'll say what I say to every customer who asks:

Yes. Buy it.

You're getting the main rulebook in the box, that saves you 45 of spend elsewhere. You get two armies, which is great for starting playing, and they're both "core stuff", in that they'll let you play legal games from the beginning.

I roughly totaled up the items at one point and I believe its nearly 200 of individual purchases in there.

The only thing you'll want to add at first is a few more dice, and two tapemeasures. (Because the sticks suck...) Shouldn't cost you more than $5 extra I imagine?

The only reason to ever avoid the GW starter boxes is if you like neither army.

terradax
24-11-2012, 10:02
Hahaha I guess I didn't look hard enough!!

Probably because Dark Angels doensn't have an army section by itself, but is under the Space Marine subcategory.
In my opinion, the Dark Angels with robes (as well as all the cool bits from their conversion sprues) are some of the coolest marines out there.
I got the Dark Vengeance box myself and painted the Chaos Marines. Haven't touched the Dark Angels yet, but I will definetly start a small DA army :)

Clang
24-11-2012, 18:23
It is relatively good value, especially in your situation, where you can split the armies with someone else - in fact I'd suggest you buy two and split them, giving you both a decent sized starter army and a rule book etc each.

Be prepared for your future purchases to be far less value for money :(

Clang
24-11-2012, 18:23
ignore, double post

Vaulkhar
24-11-2012, 19:05
Seconding Chang here: if you can afford one each, do so for all the reasons listed. The only real problem with the DV box set is the lack of terrain...but we've all fought the Battle of Book 212 at some point.