PDA

View Full Version : My change to first blood

Grocklock
24-11-2012, 11:58
I was thinking that not a lot of people like first blood as a lot of the time it goes to the person who goes first. So what about first blood goes to the person who scores the most kill pointsin the first game turn.

Dylius
24-11-2012, 14:13
Sounds like a good idea to me.

yarrickson
28-11-2012, 22:53
So most blood rather than first blood?

Schismotive
29-11-2012, 00:09
That sounds a little more balanced. My change would personally by to just take away first blood all together, or just change it to whoever killed more units gets the VP

Mini77
29-11-2012, 00:25
We've been replacing First Blood with Cleanse (3rd/4th ed. I don't remember which) and that has been working well.

Gaargod
29-11-2012, 01:28
Like.

It's still the basic premise of first blood, just no longer important who goes first.

Vedar
29-11-2012, 02:33
I don't mind it really. It forces a choice sometimes. Shoot the Rhino with your heavy anti-tank to get first blood or hit the LandRaider which you might not take down. Sure some times its a no brainer. Sometimes with night fighting and not putting your models all out in the open you can make them work for it. In the end it is only one point. I've gotten quite a few first blood going second against shooty armies.

littlehorus
29-11-2012, 06:56
And what about CC armies, how are they ever gonna get first/most blood?
It might be a bit more balanced with 2 shooty armies opposing each other, but it still hits CC armies more than any other.

Borgnine
30-11-2012, 16:43
And what about CC armies, how are they ever gonna get first/most blood?
It might be a bit more balanced with 2 shooty armies opposing each other, but it still hits CC armies more than any other.

How about you don't go entirely CC? Or bring big units that won't give out first blood easily?

I don't see first blood as a problem, seeing as you can mitigate the threat in the list-building phase.

Axeman1n
01-12-2012, 11:20
Just had a game where we went 3 turns without a single unit being lost. Big units and AV14. My Thousand Sons hardly ever give up any KP.

Commissar Merces
01-12-2012, 11:42
First blood has decided way too many games for my local stores, to the point where most people singularly focus fire on one unit just to get the first blood. Granted, it keeps the rest of the army alive, but it basically becomes a guaranteed victory point for the person that goes first, especially against certain armies.

Battleworthy Arts
02-12-2012, 08:40
Our group plays it as whoever gets the most kills in the first turn gets the VP

Jackmojo
02-12-2012, 23:24
I'd be comfortable with it only applying to killing a scoring unit as well (they tend to be tougher and its more focused then).

Jack

lethlis
03-12-2012, 21:26
Just make only scoring or denial units count. Problem solved.

Kaldor Draigo
04-12-2012, 09:21
I don't want to pause the game at the end of the turn and start counting points to work out who should get the Victory Point.

Remember, you know who is going first when you are setting up your army. Use that to your advantage, and giving up First Blood shouldn't be such a problem.

Kevlar
04-12-2012, 11:55
Its one freaking point. If that is the major decider in your game maybe you should learn how to claim an objective. Those are worth three each.

Caitsidhe
04-12-2012, 12:09
<chuckles> Just don't take vehicles and it is highly unlikely that your opponent can score first blood. It takes a LOT of shooting to kill a real unit 1st turn.

IcedCrow
04-12-2012, 15:42
I don't see a problem with first blood. Most of the games I have seen or played in have not been draws or decided by one point. My last game was very close, and it was 7-5, and that was giving up one of the points to my opponent who got first blood.

While the method described above is not bad, it is more time consuming and I find it unnecessary.

Sexiest_hero
04-12-2012, 17:40
No issues with first blood at all here.

malisteen
04-12-2012, 18:12
It's not so awful on its own, but it is yet another blow against melee & light ground vehicles (especially transports), in an edition overflowing with other similar little punishments for fielding such units. The hate on light vehicles and melee in 6th edition has resulted in a dramatic reduction in variety in my parts, with a third to a half or more of the options in most books just never being seen. It wasn't necessary on top of everything else.

IcedCrow
04-12-2012, 18:50
To be fair, in 5th edition, a third or a half or more of the options in most books were never seen either =P

It's just that the 20% of the book that is used today is different than the 20% of the army book used before June.

madival
04-12-2012, 19:03
Why not just do it where each player can achieve first blood by killing a unit first turn? Simple and to the original idea.

Azazel
04-12-2012, 19:11
I think that First Blood is a good the way it is. It balances the game instead of giving an advantage to who ever gets the second turn in Objective based missions.

ehlijen
05-12-2012, 01:19
Remember that the player with Close combat units in many light vehicles is more likely to get the linebreaker VP at the end of the game than the gunline player.