PDA

View Full Version : GW Digital products

stereynolds
24-11-2012, 13:57
Right couldn't find this on their website...But what format/machine can you download both the digital army books and the white dwarf to? Is it just the Ipad? Or do things like the new Kindle Fire do it?

shelfunit.
24-11-2012, 14:06
Currently only the ipad. And I think only the newer ones at that.

Melchor
24-11-2012, 14:06
Just iPad as far as I know. I assume it's because Apple's 'closed environment' makes it easier for them to keep piracy at bay.

stereynolds
24-11-2012, 14:14
Well that sucks :P

Thanks for the quick responses.

Inquisitor Engel
24-11-2012, 15:19
I know a number of gamers in my local group who bought an iPad (some new, some second-hand etc) JUST for this. While I adore my iPad, I'm personally waiting on the physical copy to come with a free copy of the digital, which GW seems to insist is impossible. (I know it's possible, I helped do it for text books while I worked for Apple)

Zothos
01-12-2012, 02:23
I'm personally waiting on the physical copy to come with a free copy of the digital,

That is going to be an extremely long wait.
Good luck with that!

Crymson
01-12-2012, 04:24
Just iPad as far as I know. I assume it's because Apple's 'closed environment' makes it easier for them to keep piracy at bay.

Just on that, it's rather easy to just take screen shots of the product...

ehlijen
01-12-2012, 11:50
While piracy is certainly a concern, the main reason the format is so limited is because of the editing tool GW chose to create their digital codices in; being brand new it is only fully supported by the newer iThings and because it's an apple product, limitation to apple is a non-negotiable given.

Your choice whether to blame apple for making such restrictive products or GW for chosing to use it or both a bit.

Inquisitor Engel
01-12-2012, 17:19
While piracy is certainly a concern, the main reason the format is so limited is because of the editing tool GW chose to create their digital codices in; being brand new it is only fully supported by the newer iThings and because it's an apple product, limitation to apple is a non-negotiable given.

Your choice whether to blame apple for making such restrictive products or GW for chosing to use it or both a bit.

I think you can look at it the other way - Apple made an easy-to-use, low-investment creation opportunity and GW jumped on it, knowing there was a indeed a market for this kind of this. Versus developing your entire app from scratch or paying contractors tons of money to figure out a way that may or may not work, GW made the smart business decision with the tools they were presented with.

jack da greenskin
01-12-2012, 17:37
I think you can look at it the other way - Apple made an easy-to-use, low-investment creation opportunity and GW jumped on it, knowing there was a indeed a market for this kind of this. Versus developing your entire app from scratch or paying contractors tons of money to figure out a way that may or may not work, GW made the smart business decision with the tools they were presented with.

I completely disagree. Using apple's fancy new software can't have been any easier than turning the digital files they send to the printers into cross platform PDF's, even being able to put the hyperlinks in like in the apple version.

Then they could be selling on android, kindle, and ipad. Sure, brilliant business decision to put in only on ipad 2.0 and above.

Avian
01-12-2012, 18:30
They don't want to sell the products in my country at all. How's that for customer service? :mad: