PDA

View Full Version : Short production run blues

Bodysnatcher
25-11-2012, 10:38
Is anyone becoming annoyed with how few of the 'limited run' items seem to be produced?

The wall of martyrs box went in a few days. Ditto Vampire battleforce. Ditto race specific magic cards.

I was planning on getting a few WoM boxes for my gaming club, but the individual boxes command too much of a price increase.

jack da greenskin
25-11-2012, 11:36
Not selling the magic cards seperately is ridiculous. How are new players supposed to get their hands on that incredibly useful tool?

(That's why I buy 4 and ebay the lot of them.)

daemonish
25-11-2012, 16:05
The worst case of this is space hulk, it's won awards and its extremely popular. Why not do a permanent run or even just a second run of it? it just seems utterly crazy to me.

Bodysnatcher
25-11-2012, 16:15
Compare to Dreadfleet....

Volt
25-11-2012, 18:55
I know the feeling about the Vampire Counts magic cards as I am currently on the look out on eBay for some (reasonably priced that is) since I didn't get interested in VC until after the cards were released.

Griefbringer
25-11-2012, 19:18
Isn't that sort of the point of the limited edition products, to sell out fast?

It sort of leads to a self-reinforcing circle: once the limited edition products develop a reputation for selling out fast, people will learn to buy them immediately when they become available, leading to them selling out fast. This also leads to a number of impulse purchases, since there is only a limited window of opportunity to get the product once you find out about the impending release.

[That said, my local game store should still have a couple of Dreadfleet boxes somewhere.]

Bodysnatcher
25-11-2012, 19:21
100+ boxes ain't impulse buys :p

Griefbringer
25-11-2012, 20:00
100+ boxes ain't impulse buys :p

Only if you give the customer an option to buy them on anything else than on impulse.

With limited edition, there seems to be an attempt to make the customers choice either: a.) buy it now on impulse, or b.) potentially regret the rest of your life for not having bought it when you had the chance.

Bodysnatcher
25-11-2012, 20:21
The splash releases are odd though - surely you'd shift more units by keeping the bundle, even if it's direct only and doesn't come with a snazzy outer box.

6mmhero
25-11-2012, 23:06
The army bundles are typical Christmas splash releases as this tends to be the only time of the year when such items sell en masse. If they sell out then that is even better as it creates the hype needed for the next splash release. Also it is one less product line to keep stocked and on the system.
The Magic cards are insane with how quickly they go, but they are not essential to play the game as the spells are in the army books. I find it frustrating that people feel the need to scalp the Magic cards to the extent that they do, but then I suppose it is a quick buck that these people are after.

Lord Inquisitor
25-11-2012, 23:29
Space Hulk I understand to a degree - you don't want a Dreadfleet situation - although in Space Hulk's case it seems positively foolish not to produce more. The demand is there!

With the warhammer magic cards, it's positively infuriating. These are fantastic tools and something that has a fairly constant demand - every time you sell an army book it has the potential as an add-on sale. More than that, as gaming aids they get lost and need to be replaced, most of the hardcore gamers I know including myself have bought a second copy of the core rulebook magic cards to replace lost cards. It really feels like "GW, please, take my money for this great product!" and they aren't interested in money it seems.

While it does produce a "must buy now" feeling for hobbiests and scalpers alike, it's hugely frustrating. I wasn't able to buy Daemon magic cards anywhere. A good friend kindly gave me his cards which were unfortunately stolen along with the rest of my rulebook/dice bag, now there's just no way to buy these cards at any price. Annoying as hell, I would pay a rather silly amount of money for the cards. It feels like GW are out to make a quick buck rather than producing good gaming aides - which surely must give GW more profit, money for them rather than scalpers.

Hendarion
26-11-2012, 06:22
Well, while I understand the frustration for not being able to purchase such items, limited editions are to create some kind of ... hmm, hard to describe. It is giving some people prestigious items which always helps to make people target for something, to have a goal. Establishing some kind of elite collector's community basis. If everyone can have everything, it just feels like cheap toys thrown at the children - don't get me wrong here please, this is exaggeration! Creating something valuable and prestigious makes gamers happy - even if you can't have all of them - if you got one, you feel good. That's also some way to keep fans in the hobby for a longer time. Some kind of marketing-tool.
Weird stuff though, because we know GW isn't targeting long-time-gamers as much as impulse-buy-and-forget customers.

prowla
28-11-2012, 06:44
Isn't that sort of the point of the limited edition products, to sell out fast?

The point is to produce a rarer product that can be sold for a higher price to collectors. The higher price is to compensate for the extra cost per unit of a shorter production run, but it's also a way to sell the "same" item twice. While I understand that, I do not understand why GW makes them so few in number - products that disappear in a couple of days, they could sell many more of those if they wanted to. Usually if something is "limited", it's sold for a couple of months or so.

I guess there has to be some weird manufacturing stage reason for those. It's been suggested that they use some sort of aluminum moulds that are less durable but cheaper than steel, which limits the production run. Still, I would estimate they could easily sell 2-3 times the number of limited items, if they got more than one set of the (suggested) soft moulds.

Promethius
28-11-2012, 09:53
The worst case of this is space hulk, it's won awards and its extremely popular. Why not do a permanent run or even just a second run of it? it just seems utterly crazy to me.

QFT. I am disappointed with myself that I didn't buy space hulk at the time as it is one of the few games I might get my non-wargaming friends +/- wife into on a quiet evening. Why a second run hasn't happened is beyond me as there is clearly demand.

Limited runs can be cool though and I think for some figures it's a nice idea. Nostalgia figures like gotrek and felix that were released a few years ago for example. This works best when they are occasionally made available again though, even if in a different incarnation. The bugmans bar minis are a good example of this imo.

m1acca1551
28-11-2012, 12:42
I didnt buy space hulk and im now kicking myself!! i could have used it to showcase 40k to friends and even my GF!!!

GW this was the perfect release and easiest way to get people into to your hobby, please for the love of god re-release it!!!!

prowla
29-11-2012, 10:50
Now that I think about it, for plastics the short production runs would make sense if they have some extra machine time to spend between larger runs. I don't know how that would relate to books etc., I understand that they don't do printing in-house?

BrainFireBob
29-11-2012, 22:39
Now that I think about it, for plastics the short production runs would make sense if they have some extra machine time to spend between larger runs. I don't know how that would relate to books etc., I understand that they don't do printing in-house?

It's still better than it used to be, when they did things like regional releases (There was an awesome Inquisitor figure released in, I think, Scandanavia around the WH codex first coming out)- where as a follower of their hobby products located on the western coast of the US I remember being quite ticked off.

lbecks
30-11-2012, 00:40
It's still better than it used to be, when they did things like regional releases (There was an awesome Inquisitor figure released in, I think, Scandanavia around the WH codex first coming out)- where as a follower of their hobby products located on the western coast of the US I remember being quite ticked off.

I always wanted the german tzeentch disc riding sorcerer. And certain Games Day models. It annoys me when there's a limited run and there is no non Ebay way of purchasing the product.

daemonish
01-12-2012, 10:33
I fully understand the concept and marketability of limited editions but I think where they are currently going with the LE starter boxes is the way foward. Take the regular product add something special, not take something excellent or useful and limit the amount of money you make from it.

Sir_Glonojad
01-12-2012, 12:34
Oh my, I saw some Skaven and Bestmen cards around... gotta get them and e-bay (e-sell) them soon. :cool:

While Ido understand the idea of limited edition starter sets (with an extra miniature, though I don't really get the economy of it being plastic if the cost of plastic start up was always so prohibitive) I completely do not get limited run of accessories like magic cards nor standalone games like Space Hulk. Especially that there's still demand and the initial cost of production run (steel moulds for plastic sprues) was already paid. Although I would be a little disappointed if I got a "limited run" product for collector's (or especially store&trade) purposes and it then got re-released...

Griefbringer
01-12-2012, 14:14
It's still better than it used to be, when they did things like regional releases

This reminds me of the Warhammer Chronicles 2003 compilation book, of which there were apparently two different versions available in different regions. The Northern European version that I got presumably contained all the material, but there was another version distributed somewhere else that missed the Dragon Islands army list (and maybe some other material).

yabbadabba
01-12-2012, 14:34
I don't often come on GW General - in fact I avoid it like the plague, but if I can offer an ex-insiders point of view?

There are certain items that GW produce where it is a difficult decision as to whether to include it in the main line or limited release it, how big the run should be etc, especially if it is a product where you don't want to do more than one production run of (even more so if GW are not making the item).

GWs past production history is littered with items, that, even as main army choices, just don't sell in enough quantities to justify more than a production run or two. Now, with the advent of online retail, we have a situation where GW can be cynically sales focused and still completely justify it as a sensible business decision in terms of sales and production control.

For some of these products the decision is simple; you either get a small number of them and have to fight over it, or you don't get any at all. Over 13 years of working at GW I lost count of the number of these products which we all thought would sell like hotcakes and didn't and we ended up selling or, more recently, binning, and the number of products we were not sure about and we had to rue a missed sales opportunity. In these sorts of economic pressures I can fully understand and support, from a business point of view, the conservatism that will prevail in these sorts of decisions.

Bodysnatcher
08-12-2012, 10:19
In other news my local GW Manager phoned round the area and found what I was looking for, then collected it for us. Who says service is dead :p