PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit goblin warriors as VC ghouls.

"Mighty General"
25-11-2012, 13:23
My first impression on seeing the new goblins (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId&prodId=prod1830014a) for The Hobbit (apart from how different they were to the ones from the trilogy) was that they might make a cheaper alternative to GW's plastic ghouls or the older metal ones (which I prefer).

Pros

Stunted and twisted, with many exhibiting bat-like facial features.
Slightly cheaper than VC ghouls at 20 for 18 rather than 15.50 for 10.
Goblin captain (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1830030a) could be used as a ghast and the goblin king from the starter set could make an alternative Strigoi a la black prince from the previous army book.
Good excuse for coming up with own army fluff.

Cons

Probably titchy seeing as they're lotr scale and goblins, stunted ones at that.
Re-basing.
Chronic lack of skulls. :skull::skull::skull:
Actually coming up with your own army fluff.

Thoughts people of Warseer?

TheDarkDuke
25-11-2012, 13:29
well i guess they are cheaper but man...... they are ugly as sin and not in a good way imo. I prefer the gw hunchbacks way more.

zoggin-eck
25-11-2012, 13:33
Since there's half a dozen threads that have been overtaken with talk of what else the goblins can be used for, it's nice to see one intentionally set up for it!

I like them, and will be getting a box. They don't seem that small, and I don't care if they are (all my armies are out of scale since I use a mix of models from the 80's to modern)

They'll probably end up as RPG models more than Warhammer gouls, in my case.

Horus Lupercal
25-11-2012, 13:35
Can you up date us Zoggin please? If you have a GW ghoul a side by side shot would be awesome.

DaemonReign
25-11-2012, 13:39
@ Mighty General: I Think you should mix the GW Ghouls and LotR Goblins in a 50/50 ratio. That will save you some Money (not much, but some), while not looking too bad - and frankly units of 100% GW Ghouls suffer slightly from the old 'Bloodletter-syndrom' when it comes to ranking them up, so breaking stuff up a bit with alternative models will make things easier on you.

Darnok
25-11-2012, 13:39
Nope, totally not thought of it before... :shifty:

They should look like that on 20mm square bases, so I don't see how there should be scale issues with the rest of the range. I really prefer those to the "original" plastic ghouls.

shortlegs
25-11-2012, 13:59
Just had to say, those goblins look hideous, and not in a good way..

I'm not sure if its the models themselves or the way they painted them. The trolls are painted in a similar way, and I don't like them too..

Wesser
25-11-2012, 15:07
That's probably because they painted them as white goblins.

The whole point is that they look more like ghouls than goblins. If I was looking on them as goblins exclusively I'd use a hammer rather than a brush when painting them

Lath-rael
25-11-2012, 15:44
That was also my first thought when i saw them :) But afaik, LoTR range models are slightly smaller than warhammer range, and goblins are small creatures compared to a man. So you may end up having pygmy ghouls.

Lordcypress
25-11-2012, 15:54
I plan on converting those Fell Warg Riders into Wolf Riders for my Orcs and Goblins. No more sissy wolfs my Wolf Riders!

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu128/LordCypress/m2800011a_99121462009_HunterOrcsonFellWargs01_873x 627.jpg

Xerkics
25-11-2012, 17:15
I prefer mantic Ghouls they are smaller than gw but look better. Dont like the hobbit ones at all.

Karak Norn Clansman
25-11-2012, 19:49
The scale isn't an issue at all with the new, bloated Hobbit gobbos, but aesthetics might be. I think a Ghoul horde which consists of old or new WHFB, Mantic and Lotr Ghouls would look splendid with a coherent colour scheme.

Weta Workshop and Peter Jackson obviously didn't do their Orciology homework. Otherwise they would have known that greener is meaner.

-Loki-
25-11-2012, 22:18
They wouldn't be bad for Ghouls, but I can't see the Goblin King working for a Strigoi at all. I've always seen Strigoi as being, while animalistic, more lithe and muscular, a predator. They're Vampires that have let their animal instincts take over, not let themselves go. They're on the way to being a full fledged Varghulf (the 7th edition book even stated that the oldest Varghulfs were Strigoi).

The Goblin King is straight up fat and awkward looking, not at all what you'd expect of an apex predator.

Karak Norn Clansman
25-11-2012, 22:25
@-Loki-: Exactly, the Terrorgheist rider captures a Strigoi perfectly, and the Varghulf a failed or at least more savage vampire as well. Neither of those are fat. The Goblin King might make for an interesting Undead troll at a stretch, but personally I think he's best for a Nurgle character, whether mortal or daemonic.

-Loki-
25-11-2012, 22:45
A zombie troll or Ogre would be a great use for it. Even leave the crown on it as a joke of the Necromancer who raised it.

Actually, now I want to order one to specifically use as Zombie unit filler.

"Mighty General"
26-11-2012, 12:44
Good point about the Goblin King. Even if food was involved, I doubt he could move fast enough to justify the Strigoi's stats :evilgrin:. I think ultimately, I will need to see them in the flesh.

Horus Lupercal
26-11-2012, 16:39
Any updates on a size comparison between them and ghouls??

miguel77
26-11-2012, 19:30
The problem u would have is scale. All the lord of the rings stuff is true 28mm so they look tiny and out of place next to the heroic fantasy scale

Horus Lupercal
26-11-2012, 19:45
We know this, hence waiting for a size comparison to turn up, a couple of people have them on the way so it won't be long :)

-Loki-
26-11-2012, 21:49
The problem u would have is scale. All the lord of the rings stuff is true 28mm so they look tiny and out of place next to the heroic fantasy scale

That can still work depending on how you want them to look. Smaller models would work for malnourished cannibals.

Karak Norn Clansman
26-11-2012, 22:03
That can still work depending on how you want them to look. Smaller models would work for malnourished cannibals.

Exactly. Those Ghouls don't look too realistically proportioned to begin with, and I'd freely mix and match Ghoul models from a lot of games and periods had I collected Undead. I'm sure a size comparison will prove it correct that there is no problem with using Hobbit gobbos alongside WHFB Ghouls, and if you like the looks of them I wouldn't even wait for a comparison shot. Height variation is a wonderful thing for individuality amongst horde units, and those Hobbit gobbos who already come in a variety of sizes will work wonders to that end.

Even with lots of different design styles and sizes a unifying colour scheme will still bind together the army. Remember also that those are 25 mm bases, so you can get a rough approximatation from that.

Lath-rael
26-11-2012, 23:15
Btw, they can be halfling ghouls xD

GrandmasterWang
27-11-2012, 00:50
I think they are a good match and look 'cute' in a weird kind of way.

Re: the goblin king, im thinking ogre tyrant or even throgg depending on the scale?

Horus Lupercal
27-11-2012, 09:26
I don't think he is anywhere near big enough for that to be honest!

Karak Norn Clansman
27-11-2012, 22:40
I don't think he is anywhere near big enough for that to be honest!

Yes, the Goblin king is a monster of a gobbo, but he's probably quite unimpressive when fielded alongside trolls and ogres. An undead ogre or troll, or a Nurgle character or monster would be the best uses for him that I can think of.

Darnok
27-11-2012, 22:46
Re: the goblin king, im thinking ogre tyrant or even throgg depending on the scale?

He comes on a 40mm round base. Take that as a scale reference. He is big, but not "Tyrant big". In fact I doubt he is bigger than a normal plastic ogre. I can't be sure before Saturday, but I don't think he is anything more than a "great" goblin.

A (not monstrous) character for Nurgle - either Daemons or WoC - is not a bad idea though.

Wesser
27-11-2012, 22:46
Well the Gobbo King is probably more useful as a ghast

Shnerg
27-11-2012, 22:50
I see them more as Plaguebearers than Ghouls.

Have you seen the Mantic ghouls?

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Undead/Core-Units-Zombies-and-Ghouls/Product/Undead-Ghoul-Regiment-20-Figures.html

They can be painted in a less depressing way, which makes them so much better.

I'm a big fan of them and use almost 80 of them in my VC.

Darnok
27-11-2012, 23:18
I see them more as Plaguebearers than Ghouls.

The GW plastic Plaguebearers are twice the size of the Hobbit goblins, and much more "massive".

P.S.: Ghouls should be depressing.

Horus Lupercal
27-11-2012, 23:36
I have just had a look at the goblin king and he is huge your right!!

-Loki-
28-11-2012, 05:09
Well the Gobbo King is probably more useful as a ghast

A Ghast is just a Champion model. So normal base. The Goblin King would be on a monster base.

"Mighty General"
03-12-2012, 21:53
Sadly, no pictures but I did have at look at the new goblins in store at the weekend (they were still wip as well) and I have to say, they might just work. They are definitely not like the compact Moria goblins and their proportions are certainly more in line with fantasy. I will probably pick some up in future to mix with various other ghoul models.

Lordsaradain
04-12-2012, 18:28
TS, do it! :)