PDA

View Full Version : Vendetta as Heldrake counts-as

Grunge
26-11-2012, 13:31
Would you allow it? How do they compare in size?

What about a Stormraven? Or even the Ork flyer thing?

Never got the chance to put the 4 of them side by side so any input will be helpful. Thanks in advance

Konovalev
26-11-2012, 14:23
I've never seen them side by side, but just from eyeballing the pictures I think the ork flyer is closest in over all dimensions. And the Stormraven is by far both the ugliest and most expensive so I don't know why you'd want to use one for counts-as...

Grunge
26-11-2012, 15:08
If not only because it's the only other "Marine" Flyer. And although they were not available in the pre-heresy era, it could help give my Night Lords that "Legion" feeling.

Pros of using the Vendetta would be it's the best looking flyer for me and I could use it in my traitor IG army also.

Lord Khabal
26-11-2012, 15:14
The heldrake is smaller than both the vendetta and stormraven

Konovalev
26-11-2012, 15:33
If not only because it's the only other "Marine" Flyer. And although they were not available in the pre-heresy era, it could help give my Night Lords that "Legion" feeling.

There's also the marine Stormtalon which is a closer approximation to a Heldrake as far as being a gunship goes. If you want a flying transport in your chaos army look into a Stormeagle.

Grunge
26-11-2012, 16:21
The heldrake is smaller than both the vendetta and stormraven

That means I won't have any "modelling for advantage" issues then.

Clang
27-11-2012, 04:28
So long as you convert the weapons, seems reasonable for a traitor Vendetta to count-as a Heldrake. Size isn't a big issue, unless you have a lot of mid-air terrain :)

Brotheroracle
27-11-2012, 04:42
The helltalon would be the the go to on this one I think.

shakedown47
27-11-2012, 18:03
Yeah I'd second the helltalon as the best counts-as, although really even that's a stretch. The Heldrake's rules and fluff are so unique, it's hard to justify it with anything that doesn't look at least somewhat "alive." Neither of the imperial options is even a consideration, IMO.

Clang
28-11-2012, 04:47
Hmm, if you like the biomechanical look (some Chaos players don't), you could combine a Vendetta with a WHFB monster (a dragon would be the obvious choice) for a truly mutated nightmare. Could get expensive though...

Beppo1234
28-11-2012, 06:43
Yeah I'd second the helltalon as the best counts-as, although really even that's a stretch. The Heldrake's rules and fluff are so unique, it's hard to justify it with anything that doesn't look at least somewhat "alive." Neither of the imperial options is even a consideration, IMO.

fluff is the only thing standing in the way... and is not exactly important to the actual mechanics of the game

Jayden63
28-11-2012, 19:10
Honestly, if your using a standard Vendetta (even if its painted in the armies color), I'd let you do it but its not count as, its proxing, and as such I would treat the game that way.

Now if you took that vendetta and combined it with a maulerfiend or some other approperately chaos type beasty to make a flying monster. Thats a horse of a different color because now your actually putting some creative effort into your own personalized vision of a heldrake. But a stock vendetta (even with a flamer nozzle on it), is still just a proxy.

shakedown47
29-11-2012, 13:12
fluff is the only thing standing in the way... and is not exactly important to the actual mechanics of the game

This is a GW game, not one made by Privateer or someone else. Fluff is the foundation for the game, much more so than the rules.

Karak Norn Clansman
29-11-2012, 13:19
I would have no problem with it. Perhaps it would be best to convert the Vendetta to Chaosify it, but otherwise I understand why some people would not like to use the Heldrake miniatures and opts for alternate flyers instead as counts-as proxies.